Ignore. Just practicing posting pics

Wait until TCD see this!:rotfl:

I saw it.

But I am ignoring it.

I already have imposed a moratorium on discussions relating to Cowboy Butts.

There is no way I am going to say anything about Cowboy Sausages.

Although I have to admit, that recipe actually looks pretty good.

:rotfl2:

Also, regarding DisCamper's post on the construction of the Contemporary, I didn't know that the Polynesian Resort's rooms were modular as well. And, I have heard what Magicbus said from many sources about how the rooms could be slid in and out like a drawer. I agree, it makes no sense now, but I do think that is something that was said officially back in the day. Also, I am not sure any of this was Walt's idea. He was already a popsicle before construction began at WDW.

TCD

Fairly certain this was just a rumor. In the picture you can see they had to use a big crane to lift the units into place. Where would they put this crane now? Also what kind of refurb would require removing the entire unit?

I knew when I read that post someone was going to bring this up. Of course it had to be a bus driver. :goodvibes

Yeah, sure, the crane would be used. But the refurb could be done offsite, then supposedly the hotel would be shut down for only a day or so and all the old rooms pulled and new ones put in. That way the construction would not impact guests.

However the buildings main structure settled, so swapping out the rooms was no longer an option.

Fairly certain this was just a rumor. In the picture you can see they had to use a big crane to lift the units into place. Where would they put this crane now? Also what kind of refurb would require removing the entire unit?

I knew when I read that post someone was going to bring this up. Of course it had to be a bus driver. :goodvibes

It's not a rumor. It was part of my WDW history training. You mean it wasn't part of yours? You can also find it on the internet on more than one reliable web sites.

All rooms at WDW resorts are completely refurbished at some point. Sometimes the entire building is closed off. It depends on the resort.
We were told that after years of not moving the rooms, when it was time to completely refurbish the rooms, they tried to slide a room out, but it wouldn't budge. And yes, they used a crane.

Yeah, sure, the crane would be used. But the refurb could be done offsite, then supposedly the hotel would be shut down for only a day or so and all the old rooms pulled and new ones put in. That way the construction would not impact guests.

However the buildings main structure settled, so swapping out the rooms was no longer an option.

So you are saying that they would rebuild every room offsite and then close the resort down for only a few days to slide them them in. I don't think so, it would require months to replace the units as all the exterior trim would have to be removed. The crane would would tear up the grounds and rebuilding and replacing every unit would have cost almost the same as a new hotel.

Also, if this was the plan there would have been a concrete "track" built around the hotel to give the crane somewhere to go.

Even if this was possible or in the plans what you would have do is build a few units offsite and then as you replaced units, you would refurb them and repeat until all the units were refurbed. Way too big of a project and not really a great time saver.

Here is a video of the construction.

http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/freevideos/Contemporary Construction USS.wmv

US Steel was pushing this as a new way of building using their products.

It's not a rumor. It was part of my WDW history training. You mean it wasn't part of yours? You can also find it on the internet on more than one reliable web sites.

All rooms at WDW resorts are completely refurbished at some point. Sometimes the entire building is closed off. It depends on the resort.
We were told that after years of not moving the rooms, when it was time to completely refurbish the rooms, they tried to slide a room out, but it wouldn't budge. And yes, they used a crane.

Well I don't want to start an argument. :goodvibes

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-572077907195969915#

But I have also heard this rumor and that there were a few extra rooms built as extras for this purpose. But in reality the extra rooms were built just in case one of units was damaged during installation.

Even if this was the plan rebuilding every room would cost way too much.

:lmao:

I saw it.

But I am ignoring it.

I already have imposed a moratorium on discussions relating to Cowboy Butts.

There is no way I am going to say anything about Cowboy Sausages.

Although I have to admit, that recipe actually looks pretty good.

:rotfl2:

Also, regarding DisCamper's post on the construction of the Contemporary, I didn't know that the Polynesian Resort's rooms were modular as well. And, I have heard what Magicbus said from many sources about how the rooms could be slid in and out like a drawer. I agree, it makes no sense now, but I do think that is something that was said officially back in the day. Also, I am not sure any of this was Walt's idea. He was already a popsicle before construction began at WDW.

TCD

I knew you'd have to ignore it! I'm starting to believe ALL cowboy discussion will have to be dropped if this continues. :lmao:

I think I still may try the recipe! ;)

I'm not even getting into the CR slide out room debate.....

Walt....a popsicle? :eek: That's cold man!

That modular concept looked good on paper but it never realized it's original design. When a room needed to be refurbished, it was supposed to be slid out and replaced with a new room. Didn't happen, they wouldn't slide out.

Not all of Walt's ideas worked out. Same with the Utilidors at MK. It was never repeated, way too expensive.

This is definitely a rumor. Here is another website disputing it. Disney does not know it's own history quite often.

http://www.yesterland.com/contemporary.html

I heard that Disney is growing new hotel rooms for the CR in blue tanks at River Country.

FW1081-01.jpg

I posted this Pic before but no 1 noticed. For you long time FW folks, just look at the Pic closer. This pic was taken at Pioneer Hall 1979 just outside Trails End. Look at the sign and the background and tell me what you see.

FW1081-01.jpg

I posted this Pic before but no 1 noticed. For you long time FW folks, just look at the Pic closer. This pic was taken at Pioneer Hall 1979 just outside Trails End. Look at the sign and the background and tell me what you see.

Todd- Have you gotten into the DW's Hippie Lettuce again?

That photo was not taken outside of Trail's End. If it was, the sign would not make any sense. None of those locations (Campfire Snack Bar, Chuckwagon Buffet, or Davy Crockett's Arcade) are at Pioneer Hall.

I think what you see in the background is the front porch of the Meadow Trading Post, and that a FWRR train is in the background.

I think this photo was taken looking toward the front porch of the trading post with the photographer's back to the 600 loop.

But, now that we are looking at the sign, what is the Chuckwagon Buffet? I know where the chuckwagon is, but this apparently is distinct from the Campfire Snack Bar. What is this buffet?

TCD

FW0879-02.jpg

TCD here is a different shot of Pioneer hall taken at the same time sorry I don’t have Photoshop anymore but if you zoom in on the sign in front it is the same one.

FW0879-02.jpg

TCD here is a different shot of Pioneer hall taken at the same time sorry I don’t have Photoshop anymore but if you zoom in on the sign in front it is the same one.

Whoops.

I guess maybe someone slipped me some Hippie Lettuce.

So is that sign pointing toward Trail's End and stating that is the direction of the Campfire Snack Bar?

I thought that was the train in the background of the photo, but I don't think the train traveled here.

So, what are we supposed to be seeing in the background of the photo?

TCD

No you pick the train up just across from were you pick the buses up today. If you look over the "B" in snack bar sign that looks like a campsite to me just out side Pioneer Hall.

No you pick the train up just across from were you pick the buses up today. If you look over the "B" in snack bar sign that looks like a campsite to me just out side Pioneer Hall.

Yes, it does look like a campsite, but it couldn't be. Could it?

Maybe it is an earlier version of the kiosks that they have there now- you know the ring carver, the souvenir kiosk, and the DVC station?

Speaking of campsites around Pioneer Hall, did you see this photo, from 2001?:

FW1016-09.jpg

That is the Settlement Bus stop straight ahead, and look, someone is camping right there on the left!

J/K that is the old Coachmen trailer display.

The infrastructure for this display is still there. You can see it as you head toward the bus stop from Pioneer Hall.

TCD

FW1081-01.jpg

Could this be the solution to the mystery building by Pioneer Hall that TCD found?

Added in 1974:

Pioneer Hall complex including the Pioneer Hall dinner show ("Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue"), Trail's End Buffeteria and Campfire Snack Bar

Could this be the solution to the mystery building by Pioneer Hall that TCD found?

Added in 1974:

Pioneer Hall complex including the Pioneer Hall dinner show ("Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue"), Trail's End Buffeteria and Campfire Snack Bar

Is NJRRK on to something here?

What is this Campfire Snack Bar?

This sign is pointing toward the Pioneer Hall building.

Was the campfire sing-a-long ever performed somewhere other than its current location?

TCD

The campfire sing-a-long might have been by Pioneer Hall or the beach. I don’t think they develop the meadow area until sometime in the 80’s

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter