• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm never taking WDW for granted ever again

After 9 trips to WDW plus a college program, I finally took the plunge and went to Disneyland, because everyone says California has the better park. I can only speak to my experience, but it wasn't true in my case. Allow me to count the things I missed:

1) It decided to rain my first day and CA Adventure is basically shut down during rain. Only Soarin', Toy Story Midway Mania, and Little Mermaid were open. Lines shot up to 2.5 hrs, 1.5 hrs, and 50 min respectively. Also, people freak out at the sight of puddles. Wouldn't have been too bad, but after being up for 22 hours flying across the country I was miffed that people could walk through a tiny puddle.

2) I need a DAS. This has never been an issue in FL, but in CA they questioned whether a theme park is the right place for me. On its own, that might just be a person thinking someone with an invisible disability is faking, but it brings me to my next issue.

3) Rude Cast Members. Yes, they've gotten worse in Florida, but I've never seen levels close to what I saw in Cali. Never in a million years would I expect to hear a CM cuss a guest out because he was waiting in the wrong spot (a bunch of people used that spot as stroller parking, CM was trying to move the strollers to the proper area, and when the man asked where he was supposed to wait for his family to be done with the Golden Zephyr since the CM wanted him to move, he was told to "figure it the **** out.") While that was the worst of what I saw, there was plenty of rudeness all around. Not to say there weren't fantastic CMs (special shout out to the woman at the Disneyland hotel who let me know i could still get my Chase discount if i used my redemption card), but they were much more the exception.

4) Photopass not taking photos with our phone. I know that covid took that ability away for Photopass to take photos in all parks for a bit, but I also know they were brought back after covid restrictions eased up. At least on the east coast. But apparently, in DL they decided to keep that restriction, and refuse to let you use your own camera in certain locations, because those were reserved for Photopass.

5) The food. WDW has plenty of good food if you know where to go. DL, not so much.

6) Ride reliability. Again, not necessarily unique, but 70% of the rides I went on either broke down in line or while on the ride.

7) The lack of decent queues. You really do love your bare chain queues for the most part, don't you?

I'm going to skip over the only 2 parks, limited hotels, and the fact that DTD is way smaller than DS, because those are obvious to anyone with eyes.

And to end it on a positive note, let me talk about what I actually did like about the park compared to FL:
1) Halloween Haunted Mansion. Loved it.
2) Trader Sam's has reservations, meaning I actually got to get a seat after 5 years of trying.
3) the weather.

TL;DR Disneyland isn't the better park. WDW is massively better.
I agree with you.. I have been to WDW a bunch of times but first time to DL was recently and while I had a great time and found some really friendly CMs, the parks are definitely not WDW. I was totally shocked by size of castle, thought it would be similar size to WDW. My only regret was that I didn't get to do Mr Toads wild ride.. :(. I went to one of the nicer dining experiences (Storyteller Cafe) but was disapointed with this vs what I've come to expect for similar places at WDW. Definitely sticking to WDW for future..

Ok. So I hear everyone on the do over trip not in October. I'll note that for next time.

Also taking suggestions for QS, because apparently I chose incorrectly.
My favorite places to eat at DL resort:
  • anything at the Hungry Bear, preferably sitting at a table on the upper level (not lower) near the water, so you can watch & hear all of the Rivers of America boat traffic going by. The atmosphere is just so relaxing and wonderful.
  • Docking Bay 7 - because the food looks "other world-y" and it feels and sounds like you're on another planet. Really cool experience.
  • Flo's V-8 Cafe - preferably at a table with a view of RSR. This restaurant is just a lot of fun. Very cool vibe. I love it in there because it reminds me of my boomer mom who just LOVED 1950s-era diners like that. So going there reminds me of her.
  • a corn dog from the Little Red Wagon on Main Street - and eat it on a park bench while watching the world go by. I hate corn dogs everywhere else, but the corn dogs here are SO good.
  • eating an ice cream sundae while the ragtime piano player is performing at Coke Corner.
  • not QS, but having a 10:30 am-ish ADR for breakfast at the Plaza Inn after we've rope dropped and gone on rides super commando-style all morning. Everybody gets to eat their fill of their favorite breakfast items while a ton of characters visit us at our table. For YDD, this means lots of bacon, strawberries, and Mickey waffles. For ODD, it's waffles and bacon. For DH, it's a couple of made-to-order omelettes. For me, it's a little bit of everything.
  • At DCA, eating a snack at one of the snack 'cones' at the Cozy Cone Motel. Doesn't matter which one because we usually just get the soft serve ice cream (1 time I got the chile cone carne, that was good!)...it's the atmosphere that makes it so fun.
  • any sort of soup in a bread bowl at Pacific Wharf Cafe
  • any sort of soup in a bread bowl at the French Market. I also like their french dip sandwich. Preferably any meal here when the Dixieland jazz band is playing. Again...it's the atmosphere. You can hear the sound of the New Orleans Square train station in the background, the music of the jazz band, and watch all of the activity in NOS. Bonus of eating here is that you can get beignets right there at the Mint Julep Bar, too.

The thing is that everyone has different likes and dislikes and opinions. ………. I will say though that I do think this thread should have been on the WDW boards.
Exactly. That’s why I responded the way I did. Most of us on the DLR forum are here because it’s our preferred park. The original post would have been much better suited for the WDW forum.

I haven't checked if they still have it on the menu but we found we loved Hearthstone Lounge for pizza and an afternoon coffee as strange as that combo sounds. It was a great place to catch a break from the crowds and because of its location easy to get back into the action when you're ready. Ate there both of our 2019 trips and would go back there in a heartbeat.

What did you try?
QS: French Market and Paradise Garden Grill for meals and got a churro at the cozy cone. Sadly they were out of the dipping sauce, but the mobile order had already been placed.

TS: Carnation Cafe for breakfast, since a Disney trip isn't really a Disney trip unless I get a Mickey waffle, Storytellers Cafe, Naples Ristorante, and Wine Country Trattoria

Last edited:
I will say though that I do think this thread should have been on the WDW boards.
In fairness, I did consider that. But title of the thread aside, this post really is about DLR. Also I was looking for people to tell me what it is I'm missing here and not an echo chamber of people who agree with me without anything of substance to add.

QS: French Market and Paradise Garden Grill for meals and got a churro at the cozy cone. Sadly they were out of the dipping sauce, but the mobile order had already been placed.

TS: Carnation Cafe for breakfast, since a Disney trip isn't really a Disney trip unless I get a Mickey waffle, Storytellers Cafe, Naples Ristorante, and Wine Country Trattoria

So, Paradise Garden Grill is an odd one in that the menu changes like every 3 months DRASTICALLY. Like, it was straight up BBQ food (smoked meats and sides) over the summer and is now Mexican food. However, in DCA, the ONLY solid option for Mexican food is Cocina Cucamonga. It's never as good from any other location there. When they are serving Mediterranean or Asian food there, it's very good. The BBQ was also a nice surprise. It was quite tasty. The Mexican (current offering) is blah. Although, that Coco cake is pretty great this time of year.

So, Paradise Garden Grill is an odd one in that the menu changes like every 3 months DRASTICALLY. Like, it was straight up BBQ food (smoked meats and sides) over the summer and is now Mexican food. However, in DCA, the ONLY solid option for Mexican food is Cocina Cucamonga. It's never as good from any other location there. When they are serving Mediterranean or Asian food there, it's very good. The BBQ was also a nice surprise. It was quite tasty. The Mexican (current offering) is blah. Although, that Coco cake is pretty great this time of year.
So they do go back to Mediterranean food sometimes? I used to love the offerings there when it was that cuisine all the time.

After 9 trips to WDW plus a college program, I finally took the plunge and went to Disneyland, because everyone says California has the better park. I can only speak to my experience, but it wasn't true in my case. Allow me to count the things I missed:

1) It decided to rain my first day and CA Adventure is basically shut down during rain. Only Soarin', Toy Story Midway Mania, and Little Mermaid were open. Lines shot up to 2.5 hrs, 1.5 hrs, and 50 min respectively. Also, people freak out at the sight of puddles. Wouldn't have been too bad, but after being up for 22 hours flying across the country I was miffed that people could walk through a tiny puddle.

2) I need a DAS. This has never been an issue in FL, but in CA they questioned whether a theme park is the right place for me. On its own, that might just be a person thinking someone with an invisible disability is faking, but it brings me to my next issue.

3) Rude Cast Members. Yes, they've gotten worse in Florida, but I've never seen levels close to what I saw in Cali. Never in a million years would I expect to hear a CM cuss a guest out because he was waiting in the wrong spot (a bunch of people used that spot as stroller parking, CM was trying to move the strollers to the proper area, and when the man asked where he was supposed to wait for his family to be done with the Golden Zephyr since the CM wanted him to move, he was told to "figure it the **** out.") While that was the worst of what I saw, there was plenty of rudeness all around. Not to say there weren't fantastic CMs (special shout out to the woman at the Disneyland hotel who let me know i could still get my Chase discount if i used my redemption card), but they were much more the exception.

4) Photopass not taking photos with our phone. I know that covid took that ability away for Photopass to take photos in all parks for a bit, but I also know they were brought back after covid restrictions eased up. At least on the east coast. But apparently, in DL they decided to keep that restriction, and refuse to let you use your own camera in certain locations, because those were reserved for Photopass.

5) The food. WDW has plenty of good food if you know where to go. DL, not so much.

6) Ride reliability. Again, not necessarily unique, but 70% of the rides I went on either broke down in line or while on the ride.

7) The lack of decent queues. You really do love your bare chain queues for the most part, don't you?

I'm going to skip over the only 2 parks, limited hotels, and the fact that DTD is way smaller than DS, because those are obvious to anyone with eyes.

And to end it on a positive note, let me talk about what I actually did like about the park compared to FL:
1) Halloween Haunted Mansion. Loved it.
2) Trader Sam's has reservations, meaning I actually got to get a seat after 5 years of trying.
3) the weather.

TL;DR Disneyland isn't the better park. WDW is massively better.

I've been thinking long and hard how to reply to this post because as someone who grew up in Florida and with WDW from 1978 to 1990 and then moved to California and been visiting DLR from 2010 to 2022 , I have some perspectives.

1. Rain - Yes Californians seriously are paranoid about rain and weather where in Florida I run INTO the storms lol.
It does affect things from rides to how people gather.
This is one thing that I feel is unfair to put on Disneyland itself.
No one can control the weather or others , but we can control how we handle such situations and choose to make of it.
There are so many things you CAN DO when weather isn't ideal for rides. Turtle Talk with Crush , Animation Academy/Animation Building/ Sorcerer's Workshop , Philarmagic are my top to do's in DCA even when it is nice out.

2. I also use DAS and find the best way to handle this is to do the pre registration via video chat which can be done between 2 and 30 days prior. I find this is much more private and the cast members are well trained on it versus at the parks.
I will say that is something that needs attention in parks for specific training on that and those that have experience dealing with members of the public that require assistance.
I am sorry to hear about the difficulty and response you received.

3. While I *personally* have never heard any cast member speak to a guest like that , I have seen many guests treat CM's in that manner. NEITHER is acceptable to be clear, and if that indeed did occur absolutely warrants an email or stop to guest services to explain your experience.

4. I am not the expert on this as I am not always using photopass even though it's included with my magic key pass , but I do recall seeing conflicting things.
If there is an actual photopass photographer I don't remember in recent ( last 6 to 8 months) then using anyone's cell phone. However if it is just character handler , then they have been taking photos with guest phones.
Now I get both sides of the argument.

On one hand you have the photopass photographers there as a tool for a product you sell and want to use those individuals and product as is and some guests still aren't comfortable with others handling their personal items , or never were.
On the other hand , by limiting that guests may feel that because they aren't using the "Disney" product they aren't being valued as much as another who is choosing to pay for photopass. This is all just observation and opinions of course but I will say it is puzzling and agree with the fact is confusing.

5. I will agree WDW wins on food because of pure amount of choices at resorts and Disney Springs and has the absolute upper hand on Table Service.
As a 10 year annual passholder I have over the last few years switched to counter service almost exclusively at DLR.
Unfortunately this hasn't been embraced by many or even considered especially in comparison.

My only table service I personally recommend are :

Disneyland :
None
. Hear me out..
Blue Bayou - Overpriced for mediocre quality. It used to be a must do every trip but now I save it for those that have never been exclusively. Now it's an easy pass.

Cafe Orleans - I have personally tried them MULTIPLE times over the years to only be disappointed in service before I can even think about reviewing the food. Now last year around Halloween season they had some really great options that were unique and was my single positive experience. Sadly I've had more than two occasions where I walked out due to no service being provided or greeted after 10 to 15 minutes,

Carnation Cafe - This is ALMOST the only one I recommend. Because their breakfast has changed, and the dinner entrees aren't the most appealing it still comes in short. I much prefer the fried chicken at Plaza Inn, though will recommend the baked potato soup still.

DCA :
Carthay Circle Lounge - The dining room is not worth it. Some appetizers are very refreshing with drinks here though.

Grand Californian :
Hearthstone Lounge - Underrated spot , wonderful bartender staff are always welcoming , and great entrée or snack options.
I love the corn dog nachos and their nachos and quesadilla are wonderful ! They also offer salads and burgers as well.
Similar to GCH Craftsman Grill and Bar but prefer the vibe here.

Storyteller's Cafe - I've done multiple character meals ( breakfast and brunch) as well as many dinner buffets as well. While selection can be somewhat limited especially if you have dietary restrictions , however you can always ask for the chef and they will come and show what is safe for your party. I personally love their corn chowder ( ask your server) and their bread pudding as well.

Napa Rose - This is by far my HIGHEST recommendation.
I have done both the dining room and chef counter multiple times. I have never had anything but exceptional service and multiple servers have welcomed me back even post covid.
It is fine dining so it's not for everyone but I have never been disappointed in over 20 visits.

Counter Service must do's:

Disneyland :
Little Red Wagon - BEST corn dogs , fight me lol.
Plaza Inn - Fried chicken is amazing but also had their pot roast last trip , was wonderful even late at night !
Candy Palace : Churro toffee , get it now.
Docking bay 7 - Underrated food spot , I've had all their entrees and loved everyhting. Don't miss the Black Caf Cold brew , I hate coffee and love this.
Ronto Rosters - Basic Sausage in a pita but also has a breakfast and plant based , always yummy.
Fronierland Food Cart ( By Big Thunder/Mark Twain) - Breakfast chimichangas - You have to get here early as they only sell them until 1030am or they sell out! Also have a vegetarian version.
Bengal BBQ - Love all their skewers
Rancho Del Zocalo - Wonderful and rarely super busy Mexican food spot. Salads and burritos, tacos are all delicious. Their pozole in cooler months is also a huge winner and portions are generous here.
Harbor Galley - Bread bowls with soups, chowder and lobster mac and cheese, but the big star for me is their Lobster Roll with their kettle chips.

DCA :
Corn Dog Castle - They often have specials and sometimes hot links which are different.

Carsland Cones - Offering multiple types from spicy mac and cheese in a bread cone , to chili in a bread cone , churros and even ice cream , it's a great spot for snacks.

Pacific Wharf Cafe - Their seasonal bread pudding is always to die for. Known for their soup and clam chowder bread bowls, they also offer salad bowls and sandwiches as well.

Cocina Cucuamonga - Long established as one of the best quick service in California adventure and features mexican food. Their birria tacos have been a huge hit , admittedly not for me since I can throw a rock and hit 10 taco trucks down the street lol. However all their options are generous and tasty.

Clarabelle's ( Buena Vista Street) - Offers hand dipped ice cream bars and hard floats, both are awesome options and Starbucks cafe is adjacent as well.

6. I will echo that 70% seems a bit high , I would agree that 35 tp 40% sounds more in line, however I'm sure it can FEEL that way when it happens.

7. Newer rides have changed their queues but classic ones especially were built as room allowed. I absolutely agree the WDW queues are so much more immersive overall that it's something I go out of my way to enjoy when at WDW.
To compare these two isn't on fair footing given how and when DLR was built vs MK/ WDW.

As a frequent observer of both DLR and WDW news , resorts , guests and these boards , I feel you may have fallen into the classic trap of comparing the two coasts which really don't compare at all.

I will agree with the following WDW is "superior" at :

Hotels of all levels - They had land and space to grow , we don't.

Resort "bubble" - Again this comes back to how and when DLR was built and how Anaheim built around it. This I feel is the biggest "shock" WDW vets have coming here and part of does fall on the individual traveling. It takes moments to use google maps to look at the surrounding area. I recommend this to anyone going to ANY new destination. On the same note many going to WDW for the first time have the opposite issue , that is is so massive they were not prepared and often find themselves confused why every restaurant is booked out, or why they can't walk between parks, confused by resort transportation options , etc.

Table Service restaurants : This is a no brainer as given the sheer volume of restaurants that fill parks , Disney Springs and resort hotels , options are plentiful. While there are that are in high demand , I have never not been able to get what I want with some due diligence. Space 220 comes to mind and is an entire experience not just a meal.

TLDR : I'm glad you came to visit DLR ! I think everyone should decide on their own what makes the vacation or trip best for them. I highly encourage research to any destination but also if it wasn't enjoyable , it wasn't and that's okay too.
Thank you for sharing your feedback as it is important to those of us who are regulars as well as those who may be planning.
Hope someday we can invite you back :)

In fairness, I did consider that. But title of the thread aside, this post really is about DLR. Also I was looking for people to tell me what it is I'm missing here and not an echo chamber of people who agree with me without anything of substance to add.
I can totally get that.

Disneyland :
None
. Hear me out..
Blue Bayou - Overpriced for mediocre quality. It used to be a must do every trip but now I save it for those that have never been exclusively. Now it's an easy pass.

Cafe Orleans - I have personally tried them MULTIPLE times over the years to only be disappointed in service before I can even think about reviewing the food. Now last year around Halloween season they had some really great options that were unique and was my single positive experience. Sadly I've had more than two occasions where I walked out due to no service being provided or greeted after 10 to 15 minutes,

Carnation Cafe - This is ALMOST the only one I recommend. Because their breakfast has changed, and the dinner entrees aren't the most appealing it still comes in short. I much prefer the fried chicken at Plaza Inn, though will recommend the baked potato soup still.

DCA :
Carthay Circle Lounge - The dining room is not worth it. Some appetizers are very refreshing with drinks here though.

Grand Californian :
Hearthstone Lounge - Underrated spot , wonderful bartender staff are always welcoming , and great entrée or snack options.
I love the corn dog nachos and their nachos and quesadilla are wonderful ! They also offer salads and burgers as well.
Similar to GCH Craftsman Grill and Bar but prefer the vibe here.

Storyteller's Cafe - I've done multiple character meals ( breakfast and brunch) as well as many dinner buffets as well. While selection can be somewhat limited especially if you have dietary restrictions , however you can always ask for the chef and they will come and show what is safe for your party. I personally love their corn chowder ( ask your server) and their bread pudding as well.

Napa Rose - This is by far my HIGHEST recommendation.
I have done both the dining room and chef counter multiple times. I have never had anything but exceptional service and multiple servers have welcomed me back even post covid.
It is fine dining so it's not for everyone but I have never been disappointed in over 20 visits.

Counter Service must do's:

Disneyland :
Little Red Wagon - BEST corn dogs , fight me lol.
Plaza Inn - Fried chicken is amazing but also had their pot roast last trip , was wonderful even late at night !
Candy Palace : Churro toffee , get it now.
Docking bay 7 - Underrated food spot , I've had all their entrees and loved everyhting. Don't miss the Black Caf Cold brew , I hate coffee and love this.
Ronto Rosters - Basic Sausage in a pita but also has a breakfast and plant based , always yummy.
Fronierland Food Cart ( By Big Thunder/Mark Twain) - Breakfast chimichangas - You have to get here early as they only sell them until 1030am or they sell out! Also have a vegetarian version.
Bengal BBQ - Love all their skewers
Rancho Del Zocalo - Wonderful and rarely super busy Mexican food spot. Salads and burritos, tacos are all delicious. Their pozole in cooler months is also a huge winner and portions are generous here.
Harbor Galley - Bread bowls with soups, chowder and lobster mac and cheese, but the big star for me is their Lobster Roll with their kettle chips.

DCA :
Corn Dog Castle - They often have specials and sometimes hot links which are different.

Carsland Cones - Offering multiple types from spicy mac and cheese in a bread cone , to chili in a bread cone , churros and even ice cream , it's a great spot for snacks.

Pacific Wharf Cafe - Their seasonal bread pudding is always to die for. Known for their soup and clam chowder bread bowls, they also offer salad bowls and sandwiches as well.

Cocina Cucuamonga - Long established as one of the best quick service in California adventure and features mexican food. Their birria tacos have been a huge hit , admittedly not for me since I can throw a rock and hit 10 taco trucks down the street lol. However all their options are generous and tasty.

Clarabelle's ( Buena Vista Street) - Offers hand dipped ice cream bars and hard floats, both are awesome options and Starbucks cafe is adjacent as well.

💯 agree with you on all the food recommendations…. Carnation Cafe is the only one we’ll eat at anymore within the park!

I love DL/DCA and I can find lots of yummy food to eat but for the love of all that's holy I do not understand ppl recommending Cozy Cone as 'good food'. It's invariably been terrible when we've gone.

I love DL/DCA and I can find lots of yummy food to eat but for the love of all that's holy I do not understand ppl recommending Cozy Cone as 'good food'. It's invariably been terrible when we've gone.

I don't go often but have found the seasonal Spicy Mac and cheese cone to be really delicious. But that's why I also think it's important to have varying recommendations.
But this offers a great counter discussion !
What is something you would recommend ? I want to hear about something I may have missed.

The same for me can be said for Cafe Orleans..for the life of me I CANNOT understand the appeal, lol.

The soft serve ice cream is fantastic. As is the Pomegranate Limeade with Vodka and the Orange Creamsicle Vodka slush.

What, specifically, are you referencing as being terrible? These are snack and drink places, pretty much. Not sure how you go wrong with churros, ice cream, popcorn and alcoholic drinks.

I've never had any of the bread cones. Those all look gross to me.

Disneyland :
None
. Hear me out..
Mostly agree, though I still enjoy going to Blue Bayou. I don't find the prices out of line with what is charged at other DLR restaurants. Let me reword that: they're all out of line, ha ha. It is definitely true though that they have downgraded the menu significantly and reduced what you get while charging you more, which is kind of DL in a nutshell these days. It's not just BB. It's difficult to justify for a family, but I usually go with my sister, we split the bill, and we love to relax on the patio near the "bayou" with the pretty lanterns above and an adult beverage in hand (we love the addition of the Hurricane cocktail) :D

Mostly agree, though I still enjoy going to Blue Bayou. I don't find the prices out of line with what is charged at other DLR restaurants. Let me reword that: they're all out of line, ha ha. It is definitely true though that they have downgraded the menu significantly and reduced what you get while charging you more, which is kind of DL in a nutshell these days. It's not just BB. It's difficult to justify for a family, but I usually go with my sister, we split the bill, and we love to relax on the patio near the "bayou" with the pretty lanterns above and an adult beverage in hand (we love the addition of the Hurricane cocktail) :D
That's a place we'd like to try ourselves, love the ambiance but we probably should have tried it back in 2019. Maybe someday..

I love GOING to Blue Bayou too..just hate eating there lol.
You make very valid points and honestly it's not the cost of the meal at all , it's quite literally the food quality.

I admit I can be more picky on food quality now than I used to be , I blame northern California local farmer markets and farm to table local run restaurants I have access to setting the bar way too high.
I just felt the filet at blue bayou has shrunk quite a bit and no lobster now , gumbo price now separate , all adds up to having very little to pull me in. I'm no stranger to paying a hefty price for my meals , and I love blue bayou especially going for lunch and having that "change of scenery" but also since I go so often ( average once a month from Northern Cali) I think maybe it has lost some of it's appeal due to all the factors above.

But I'm still guilty of taking a last minute same day Blue Bayou reservation I randomly come across..just because :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter