I'm not used to humidity. Can I still enjoy June?

As someone else mentioned, an important point to consider is that this year, SO MUCH of the queues are outside due to social distancing, there is little relief from the sun and heat. I was there in December, and I've also been in July a few times, and in December I said to myself, NO WAY would I come back in summer. So much more time is spent in outdoor lines, and a lot of the lines don't have much if any shade. You really have to be prepared to spend much less time in the parks than you would be able to tolerate if the weather was bearable, so that offsets the "savings" of going during a less crowded time; as previous posters have said, it is intolerable to spend the entire day out in the heat and humidity so you get in what you can before lunch and then return in the evening. I just think it's really hard to have a magical time and enjoy the reward of the thousands of dollars you have spent when you are literally dripping in sweat and miserable.

Summer 2022 might be better, if FP+ is back (less standing in long lines for headliners) and more of the queues are moved back inside and under shade like regular times.

For 2021, I would brave the crowds of the November and December holidays, avoiding December 24-January 1 entirely (if possible).

We've been to Orlando a few times in late May/June over the years. It is hot and sticky. I'm at the point where I'd be hard-pressed to go then unless it was a mostly-waterparks trip. I've also done Christmas week, and I preferred the higher crowds and better weather. I can avoid crowds. It's harder to avoid hot-and-sticky.

We live in upstate NY and while it does get humid here, its nothing compared to FL humidity. We went once in August and never again.

What I'm reading about June is hot and humid. Lots of rain. Muggy. Doesn't really cool off at night and is hot when you get up in the morning. Is this right? Is it really that bad? Just straight heat all day?
Believe what you read. We were just there in late October and it was unseasonably warm with high 80s/low 90s each day. The masks just compounded our uncomfortableness. We couldn't wear sunglasses because they fogged from the masks. The masks made us sweat more than usual. We couldn't walk as briskly as we'd like because the masks were difficult to breathe in with the hot, moist air. We were fortunate that it didn't rain at all, but with rain being very common in June, it would also add in the challenge of dealing with wet/soggy masks.

Is this still something you can do in Covid time? Do the parks stay open late enough?
Its possible park hours will be longer than what we had in October, but we didn't find there was enough time for mid-day breaks, which is something we normally like to do as well. With buses having severely limited capacity, you also run the risk of having to wait for a second bus either coming from or going to the parks which adds in time to the commute.

Thanksgiving or Christmas break, cooler, but more crowded and more expensive.
After experiencing August, we decided we would much rather contend with crowds and have nicer weather than have low crowds and hot/rainy weather. The weather really impacts a trip for us - if we're uncomfortable because we're drenched or sweating through clothes, we're just miserable. Everyone has a different tolerance for this. We've just found it easier to plan a strategy around wait times rather than unpredictable weather.

I've already shared my thoughts upthread, but I just had to come back and say I'm glad I never read a thread like this before we took our first June trip (20 years ago) or we never would have gone. Is it hot and humid in June in FL? Usually....but we've never found it to be as miserable as some people seem to. And we're from the north and aren't used to the humidity at all. And I'm not an "outdoors" person so I usually spend my summer inside in the a/c...except when we're at Disney World. Yet we've survived 50+ days at Disney World in June over the years. We've never had a rain shower every day of our trip (in June...can't say the same about May, though) and we've never had unbearable heat and humidity every single day of the trip. We usually experience a few days of each of those things, but never every single day. Apparently we pick good years to go to Disney in June because we never find it so horrible that we don't want to go back again. Maybe we can tolerate those conditions because we know our options are to go in June or not go at all. Now I'm secretly hoping that a lot of people read this thread and think that going to Disney World in June will be a disaster and he** on earth. That way the parks will be emptier when I'm there. :D

I've already shared my thoughts upthread, but I just had to come back and say I'm glad I never read a thread like this before we took our first June trip (20 years ago) or we never would have gone. Is it hot and humid in June in FL? Usually....but we've never found it to be as miserable as some people seem to. And we're from the north and aren't used to the humidity at all. And I'm not an "outdoors" person so I usually spend my summer inside in the a/c...except when we're at Disney World. Yet we've survived 50+ days at Disney World in June over the years. We've never had a rain shower every day of our trip (in June...can't say the same about May, though) and we've never had unbearable heat and humidity every single day of the trip. We usually experience a few days of each of those things, but never every single day. Apparently we pick good years to go to Disney in June because we never find it so horrible that we don't want to go back again. Maybe we can tolerate those conditions because we know our options are to go in June or not go at all. Now I'm secretly hoping that a lot of people read this thread and think that going to Disney World in June will be a disaster and he** on earth. That way the parks will be emptier when I'm there. :D
Heat and humidity tolerance is extremely subjective, and weather experiences (especially rain) are really moot points since its unpredictable. I hope anyone like the OP who poses the question realizes that, but its good to hear experiences from both sides. I'm in the camp that June is an absolute no for us, but I do acknowledge that some people would handle the heat and potential rain better than we do. OP just needs to decide what's most important to them on a trip - lower price and lower crowds or better weather. For us, its the latter.

I love humidity, my DH thinks I'm crazy, but I do. With that said, even I have a tough time standing in the sun waiting for rides, in the heat, humidity while mask wearing. I was fine with it before mask wearing and with fast pass.......now, not quite fun. We moved from Tampa to Doctor Phillips area, and are taking advantage of going now because this past summer was brutal with the mask even for me! Good luck whenever you go

With that said, even I have a tough time standing in the sun waiting for rides,
This is an important point in the current environment. With social distancing in place, queues are extended into makeshift queues outdoors both to allow for longer queues to accommodate distancing, but also to ensure people don't have to wait indoors longer than necessary. On our October trip, we spent a lot of our queue waiting time in the outside queues which meant we were also in the elements - hot sun, rain, etc. Sometimes there were umbrellas, sometimes there was not. Definitely not something we were used to.

June/July/August are the hottest months in Florida. Since Disney involves a LOT of walking, humidity or not, you will tire more easily when it is that hot. No amount of fluids, sunscreen, etc. will make it any less hot. We find the Spring/Fall weather much more enjoyable for Disney.

Something else to consider is (if you're going this year) finding A/C for a break is going to be harder. Access to indoor places counter service restaurants and shops is more restricted. Even if I'd consider a summer trip, I'd pass for now.

Something else to consider is (if you're going this year) finding A/C for a break is going to be harder. Access to indoor places counter service restaurants and shops is more restricted. Even if I'd consider a summer trip, I'd pass for now.
Good point. When we were there in October, and it was unseasonably hot, we had to mobile order a bottle of water just to be able to enter Cosmic Ray's and sit down for a break in the AC. We also had to wait to get into a few stores if they were at capacity, and there was no cutting through the stores along Main Street to walk through the AC - one central exit and one central entrance point, with all other entrances/exits closed.

Other than Animal Kingdom, we happily visit WDW during the hot months. Pray to the rain gods for a heavy shower about 3 pm. That seems to empty out the parks. Earlier than that and folks will wait it out, but by then I think a lot of people decide they've had enough and don't want to get wet. We pack the $1 disposable raincoats, hope for heavy rain mid afternoon, and relish in the really lighter crowds after that happens.

Other than that, hydrate and cool. Handheld fan. Suntan lotion. Shorts. No lines outside.

Do not get behind the power curve on overheating!!! Cool rides or stores, if overdone (yes, spend more time in them than you think you should), will make your day really enjoyable.

Finally, all said, it is much more enjoyable in the fall and spring.

Good point. I live in CA and I love my July trips to WDW! The humidity does not bother my family. But we are used to being able to pop into shops and places to cool off and that might be more of an issue now.

Wow! I didn't expect to get so many replies. A lot of strong opinions on the summer. I especially loved the 7th circle of hades descriptor LOL! Thank you everyone for your advice. I think we've decided to do Thanksgiving week. I know it will be much busier and pricier, but there's too much unknown right now. There's a better chance of more 'normal' things if we wait till the end of the year. I still expect masks and social distancing, but hoping for some improvement. At the very least it will be cooler temps and I've never done Disney in November, so that should be fun. I'm just happy to have a Disney trip to be looking forward to again.

Last edited:
Our first trip ever was in June of 2012. It was hot and humid and it rained some every day except 1. After that trip, we wanted to go again and did trips in November. We were booked in 2020 for end of July and moved to the first week of June 2021.

We plan to do mornings and evenings at the parks. Afternoons will be swimming or relaxing in the A/C. That‘s what we did in 2012 because we had one that still took an afternoon nap. Everyone rested in the room.

I enjoy the parks with the Christmas decorations but I’m looking forward to seeing just the regular park again.

We have gone in June, August, and September. The weather seemed about the same all 3 months. June might of been a tiny bit less humid, but they all were hot,humid and rained almost every afternoon for about an hour.
Staying in the parks when it rains does help clear out crowds for a couple hours. One of the most fun days we had is when we arrived at AK right when a downpour happened. Poured buckets!
We took cover until it slacked off and the crowds were gone and it had cooled things down. That was a fun time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter