I'm so nervous that this will be fun!

RedK

Mouseketeer
Hey all!

I just booked a solo trip at the end of February. This will be my first trip in 3-4 years, and I'm so nervous about it! My last trip was just after the parks reopened from covid, and it was not a good trip. Some of that was me, and some of that was the parks, and I've never been fully able to figure out how much was which. I have a good friend who goes often, and she actually recommended that I not go to Disney. Between the prices and people being jerks, she said it wasn't worth it anymore. But frankly, I'm rather desparate for some relaxation and some fun. I'm hoping to do a pretty laid back trip with low expectations. Since I booked only a month out, there aren't a lot of reservations available, and that will reinforce the low fuss vibe.

So, this will be:
  1. My first time staying at Wilderness Lodge
  2. My first time ordering groceries
  3. My first time arriving on a sunday and leaving on a Saturday
  4. My first time at Flower and Garden
I tried to rent DVC points for a studio, but none were available. I thought a lot about other resorts. I could get a room at Coronado Springs or POFQ for almost $2K less. But I really want an easy MK_area trip. I'm thinking that I can do easy QS meals at the other MK area resorts, and bop over to MK to experience the park at night. I really want to experience BTRR at night, and I'd like to see the fireworks. Plus I've never seen the light show on the lake.

What am I afraid of?
  • That I won't have fun
  • That I will regret how much money I spent on a room at Wilderness lodge
  • Much of my life is consumed with elder care, and I'm afraid my dad will have An Issue while I'm away, spoiling my trip
  • That it will either be too long, or not long enough
  • That work will punish me with a Backlog of Stupid when I return
Anyway, I'm currently figuring our dining. Almost no reservations for 1, but if I reserve for 2 or 3, lots available. So I'm reserving and then will reduce the headcount. I hate playing the system like this, but Disney almost requires it. Nothing at Steakhouse 71 though, darn it. I've heard such good things, and it would be a perfect dinner before Extra Magic Hours (or whatever they call it these days) at MK on Wed.

On the plus side, I'm excited for Flower and Garden! I'm a huge plant nerd, and I can't wait to see all the topiaries.

Can I get hot water out of the coffee maker at the Lodge? It would be nice to make instant oatmeal for breakfast some days.

Huh. Wednesday will be a relaxing day. Breakfast at Wilderness Lodge or go over to Boma? And do I want to plan time at Disney Springs? I would love to have dinner at Jaleo one night, but will it be worth the bother? And hmmm.... cookies from Gideons or the Cookie Bar? So many choices! I hope the weather is good. Some pool time would be really nice. And a hot tub always makes me relax.

Ahhhhhhh!

I'm at the trip-planning stage that makes me freak out, because I have so many things yet to decide.

Hey all!

I just booked a solo trip at the end of February. This will be my first trip in 3-4 years, and I'm so nervous about it! My last trip was just after the parks reopened from covid, and it was not a good trip. Some of that was me, and some of that was the parks, and I've never been fully able to figure out how much was which. I have a good friend who goes often, and she actually recommended that I not go to Disney. Between the prices and people being jerks, she said it wasn't worth it anymore. But frankly, I'm rather desparate for some relaxation and some fun. I'm hoping to do a pretty laid back trip with low expectations. Since I booked only a month out, there aren't a lot of reservations available, and that will reinforce the low fuss vibe.

So, this will be:
  2. My first time ordering groceries
  3. My first time arriving on a sunday and leaving on a Saturday
  4. My first time at Flower and Garden
I tried to rent DVC points for a studio, but none were available. I thought a lot about other resorts. I could get a room at Coronado Springs or POFQ for almost $2K less. But I really want an easy MK_area trip. I'm thinking that I can do easy QS meals at the other MK area resorts, and bop over to MK to experience the park at night. I really want to experience BTRR at night, and I'd like to see the fireworks. Plus I've never seen the light show on the lake.

What am I afraid of?
  • That I won't have fun
  • Much of my life is consumed with elder care, and I'm afraid my dad will have An Issue while I'm away, spoiling my trip
Anyway, I'm currently figuring our dining. Almost no reservations for 1, but if I reserve for 2 or 3, lots available. So I'm reserving and then will reduce the headcount. I hate playing the system like this, but Disney almost requires it. Nothing at Steakhouse 71 though, darn it. I've heard such good things, and it would be a perfect dinner before Extra Magic Hours (or whatever they call it these days) at MK on Wed.

On the plus side, I'm excited for Flower and Garden! I'm a huge plant nerd, and I can't wait to see all the topiaries.

Can I get hot water out of the coffee maker at the Lodge? It would be nice to make instant oatmeal for breakfast some days.

Huh. Wednesday will be a relaxing day. Breakfast at Wilderness Lodge or go over to Boma? And do I want to plan time at Disney Springs? I would love to have dinner at Jaleo one night, but will it be worth the bother? And hmmm.... cookies from Gideons or the Cookie Bar? So many choices! I hope the weather is good. Some pool time would be really nice. And a hot tub always makes me relax.

Ahhhhhhh!

I'm at the trip-planning stage that makes me freak out, because I have so many things yet to decide.
I’m going a few weeks after you and am enjoying the planning. I admit I have booked and canceled half a dozen reservations.
I love the flower and garden festival. The topiaries are fantastic and the colorful blooms make the place come alive. There are always some new treats to try. Some of the concerts look really good too but unfortunately while I am there it’s people I have not heard of but thats ok.I booked a DVC for the week. It’s my first time. I got a 6 day park hopper. I know I will probably be too pooped to party but at least it’s an option. Wilderness lodge is one of my favorite places we have ever visited. Have the best time!

Hello!!! I just wanted to respond to your post because it sounds like you need some magical encouragement lol. I think a solo trip sounds glorious! I too just booked a trip for April (flower and garden too:)) but I am dragging my adult daughter with me lol.

So I am just going to respond within the text to your questions...with my thoughts :)

I hear/read all the time the negatives of WDW now, the expense, the people etc. Some of it ...I agree with. But at the end of the day I love Disney. Everything in life is what you make of it. You will have a great time if you go in with a laid back attitude!
So, this will be:
We stayed in a 1BR WL DVC last October and it was awesome! The WL is all contained in one building, it is relaxing...an oasis away from everything. I think in the end it is worth the extra cost. You will have a balcony..which I think is underrated even when it is cool/hot or raining. I love going out on patio/balcony w/coffee or a to-go cocktail from the pool bar and just sitting and watching.

We really enjoyed Territory Lounge while we were there. We did Geyser Point also and it was good, but Territory Lounge was a touch better/relaxing and the drinks were good (even if you don't drink...my DH does not... they have fun foods there). Roaring Forks is very good.

They did have a hot water dispenser.
  1. My first time ordering groceries

We did order groceries thru Amazon Fresh! Easy peasy! We did do champagne so had to meet them and it was easily done.
  1. My first time arriving on a sunday and leaving on a Saturday
  2. My first time at Flower and Garden

Sunday to Saturday is great...will you do park days on arrival and departure days?

As nice as DVC is there is something to be said for a hotel room w/maid service. The WL rooms are lovely. Having access to the boat to MK and Contemporary you will have your pick of monorail resorts for exploration.
The Electric Water pageant is very fun... old school.
What am I afraid of?
  • That I won't have fun

Don't be afraid! Have fun :). Money is hard... I know there are less expensive options and in the end only you know what is worth it. If you like the theme of WL and the proximity to MK I think you will like it.
Caring for a loved one is so difficult (both good difficult and hard difficult if that makes sense). But know you deserve some time just for you. In the long run it recharges you for the care you give to your father.

For myself my trips are never long enough...but I might be crazy lol.

As to work.. I fear this every time I leave too. But again....you deserve a vacation.

I found even in a busy week in October dining reservations popped up on day of. We were able to do Steakhouse 71 on a deluxe magic night in the lounge w/ no wait and it was not busy at all. The burger is very good.

Wednesday of our last trip was our "relaxing" day too. We did the pool (there is the main pool and the DVC pool at WL). Then we did a monorail bar crawl (Sam's, Enchanted Rose, Citrico's, Steakhouse) and it was great fun. My husband tried every zero proof there was and Citrico's won!

Maybe start with a resort tour.... lyft over to AKL and have a breakfast at Boma (highly recommend.. we own at AKL and it is a magical place). Go to Disney Springs shop a little, grab a place in line for cookies (we have had Gideons and I am not the hugest fan but others love it!!)...then come back to WL and do pool later!

The world (aka Disney) is your oyster!!

Ahhhhhhh!

Half the fun is planning! Have a wonderful time.

Hi there, RedK! Following along on your planning adventure! :wave2:

My last trip was just after the parks reopened from covid, and it was not a good trip. Some of that was me, and some of that was the parks, and I've never been fully able to figure out how much was which. I have a good friend who goes often, and she actually recommended that I not go to Disney. Between the prices and people being jerks, she said it wasn't worth it anymore. But frankly, I'm rather desparate for some relaxation and some fun. I'm hoping to do a pretty laid back trip with low expectations.

Don't worry: it wasn't just you. My first trip back to the parks after COVID was March 2021 and it was, frankly, a bad trip. Disney was a completely different place for the first year and a half back as they tried to navigate COVID protocols while running and maintaining the Park experience for guests. They weren't doing a great job juggling the two.

I've since gone back to WDW 3 times since that trip -- once in September 2021, once in March 2022, and once in March 2023 -- and all three trips went significantly better than they were in March 2021. As Disney began to re-introduce everything that COVID took away, and more restaurants, hotels, and experiences began to re-open, I began to see WDW through a new lens and I hope you will on this trip, too! Yes, it's expensive, and yes, some guests and CMs can be unpleasant. But if you go into this trip with the expectations that you're just going to enjoy some time off away from work and do a few magical things you've missed in the past few years, you are going to have a fabulous week!

I thought a lot about other resorts. I could get a room at Coronado Springs or POFQ for almost $2K less. But I really want an easy MK_area trip. I'm thinking that I can do easy QS meals at the other MK area resorts, and bop over to MK to experience the park at night. I really want to experience BTRR at night, and I'd like to see the fireworks. Plus I've never seen the light show on the lake.

Personally, I think you made the right call for your trip. It sounds like you really want to take it easy, and in trips like this where you're not hardcore touring the parks from open to close, the quality of the resort you're staying in matters a lot more. WL is a fabulous resort for so many reasons -- all the guest rooms are in one building, you have boat access to Magic Kingdom, the food options are great, and it's a lovely place to just sit and relax. All of this, plus the fact that staying in a Deluxe resort will give you daily housekeeping to keep your room tidy and access to Extended Evening Theme Park Hour, is worth the $2k upgrade for the vacation you're hoping for IMO.

What am I afraid of?
  • That I won't have fun

I've been on over a dozen vacations to WDW in the past decade -- heck, even worked and lived at WDW twice -- and I still have fears like this that keep me up until the night we leave for the Mouse House. What if I get sick while I'm down there and it ruins the trip? What if there's an emergency at work while I'm in the middle of the park? What if I want to go home?

I'll be honest with you: I've had moments on my vacations where I briefly thought to myself, "Ugh, I spent so much money on this trip. Was it worth it?" or "Ugh, I want to go home, I just don't like the Parks that much anymore." All of these moments have been fleeting. I sit in the feeling for a moment, go back to my hotel room if I need to, decompress on my phone for a little while OR take a nap, then I get up and move on to the next activity on my agenda. By the time I go to bed-- I'm back in the groove, I've forgotten about what I was so worried about, and I realize I had a great day.

Solo trips are especially great for worriers like us because we can move at our own pace and not have to worry about others relying on us for dinner reservations or boarding groups! You're going to have a really fabulous time next month.

Nothing at Steakhouse 71 though, darn it. I've heard such good things, and it would be a perfect dinner before Extra Magic Hours (or whatever they call it these days) at MK on Wed.

You can join the walk up list OR sit at the bar! S71 is one of my favorite restaurants on property, so good!

You are going to LOVE Flower & Garden! It's such a great festival! There's so much to see, do, and eat -- I recommend reading up on all of the booths and planning out which stops you're going to make!

And do I want to plan time at Disney Springs? I would love to have dinner at Jaleo one night, but will it be worth the bother? And hmmm.... cookies from Gideons or the Cookie Bar? So many choices!

If you're doing a relaxing day, Springs is a good place to go right when it opens and enjoy some shops and an early lunch. It's very quiet early in the day on a weekday and you can grab a cookie at Gideons (so good!) without a huge wait. Then, during the middle of the day, you can enjoy some pool time at WL, and then get ready for dinner at Boma or another resort hotel restaurant!

Sorry for the long post -- I hope I was able to offer some help and calm your nerves! You're gonna have a blast and I can't wait to hear about more of your plans!

@tigerlilly and @Newsies Thank you so much for the replies! I appreciate it. It's nice to know other people understand the worries.

I was able to book Steakhouse71 for lunch on my last day, so right now my schedule looks like:

• Sunday
    • Arrive
    • Lunch either at WL or AK depending on timing
    • AK in the afternoon
    • Dinner and grocery delivery back at WL
  • Monday
    • Ropedrop MK
    • Lunch at Liberty Tree
    • Dinner at Kona Cafe
  • Tuesday
    • Ropedrop HS (head to SDD)
    • Lunch at Ronto Roosters
    • Try to buy ROTR LL
    • Dinner at Jaleo
  • Wednesday
    • Lazy day at the resort
    • sleep in
    • Breakfast at Whispering Canyon
    • Pool day
    • Dinner TBD
    • Head to MK for Deluxe hours
  • Thursday
    • Sleep in
    • Genie+ - try to stack for afternoon and evening
    • head to Epcot whenever
    • Lunch at the food booths
    • Dinner TBD
  • Friday
    • Ropedrop epcot
    • buy GOTG LL
    • Maybe an afternoon break, maybe just head to HS
    • Dinner at the brown Derby
    • Maybe buy ROTR LL
  • Saturday
    • Maybe ropedrop MK? Maybe AK instead
    • Lunch at Steakhouse 71
    • Head to the airport mid-afternoon
I'm thinking to maybe hop to MK a few evenings for fireworks and rides. I've never ridden BTRR in the dark and I'd really like to.

I got the cat sitter booked today. That's a relief!
The woman I sit next to at work is also a Disney fan. She saw me looking at dining reservations today and leaned over and whispered "get the pork nachos and a lapu lapu." Gotta love co-workers who understand!

Oh RedK your plan looks so awesome! You picked great places to eat (I have never been to Jaleo but it sounds awesome!!).
Sunday: AK is a great first day park...great snacks, food and drinks! The Lost on Safari @ Dawa Bar is my favorite. Oh and the tacos at the smiling crocodile (mmmmm).
Monday: MK day with LTT! Sounds like a magical day...take it slow and just enjoy. For dinner...Kona Cafe has been so good the two times we have been and I must agree with your co-worker! Lapu Lapu is a must! Tambu Lounge is right there if it isn't horribly busy (it is usually busy but as a solo you might have good luck at the bar/if not I am pretty sure Kona has the Lapu Lapu). The potstickers at Kona are so yummy.
Tuesday: Will you do Genie + this day or just ILL RIse? If no Genie + do SDD first during EE. We did a non-genie+ day there and did SDD and MMRR before heading to TOT after opening (TOT had a bit of wait but nothing horrid). I will hope that for you :)
Wednesday sounds great. Would you consider dinner at a Monorail resort? We did Citrico's Lounge on a whim and it was great (did mac and cheese). I say make this your BTMRR night!
Thursday: Epcot: I think you should be good stacking here. The only ones that go fast are Remy and Frozen (TT also but I would suggest doing single rider for that one when you are feeling like it). There are so many good places to eat in Epcot.
Friday: If you don't do a break take the skyliner maybe to the studios. Yes, you have to change at the hub by Caribbean Beach but it is such a nice trip. Our few trips on the skyliner during our Oct. trip is the reason I booked Caribbean Beach for April. I just loved the vibe. We stopped and had drinks at Banana Cabana. It was so nice and relaxing and served as nice midday break.
Saturday: Ending in park then a lunch will cap off the trip. Enjoy Steakhouse!!!

Have a great trip.

I'm waiting to see what the crowds will be like to decide on which days to get G+. I think Epcot will be really busy that day since it's the first day of Flower and Garden, but I'm hoping if I stack some rides, it will make for a more fun day. I'm a heretic - I think Frozen is just ok, so I don't mind if I don't get that. Soarin is a priority, and so is LWTL and Remy.

Monorail dinner is exactly what I'm thinking for Wednesday night - are you reading my mind, @tigerlilly ? lol I had hoped to get Steakhouse71 this night, but I'll keep an eye if anything opens up.

I'm sometimes funny about heights, so I'll see how windy it is to decide whether I take the Skyliner or walk it. Well, and see how much my feet hurt. :)

I've been looking at transport to and from the airport, and I think I've decided to Lyft/Uber. I don't like some of the Mears Connect review I'm reading about how long it can take to get to the resort, or how dirty some of the busses/vans are. I won't have a lot of luggage, so can take the basic versions. No need for an Uber XL here!

Going back to the airport, I'm still trying to figure out how far ahead I want to get the rideshare back. I have TSA Precheck, and a flight at 6:30. I'm currently thinking 3:30-4. Anyone have suggestions or experiences that might help me figure it out? I really don't want to be sitting around the airport for 3 hours if I can help it.

Got an email from WDW yesterday with a countdown clock in it - starting to get pretty excited! Oh, I hope this is more fun than last time!!!

Oh first day of Flower and Garden! I actually think that is kind of exciting lol. I think you will do great with stacking.

So ... we might both be heretics ... frozen is nice but not a must for me (my husband would rather sit in the Nordic chapel or whatever it is lol).

I will hope you get Steakhouse 71 for Wednesday if it is what is best for your trip :).

My daughter really is not a fan of heights and she was ok w/ the Skyliner ..that being said, the boat is nice as is the walk (and you could check out the Boardwalk).

We did Lyft our last trip for airport home (and numerous times during the trip). It was game changer for me. I loved it! Who knew? I am old school (read old lady. lol) and I so liked it. I have done town car's in the past but the Lyft trip was so much more relaxed and every one of our drivers was great. * we did two am trips to AK, two trips to and from Epcot from WL and then the trip to the MCO.

I think 2 hours is good for airport especially w/TSA precheck. But others might have more advice on this. We have always done two hours (mid am flights and evening flights.. all long hauls to CA) and we have never had a problem

Got an email from WDW yesterday with a countdown clock in it - starting to get pretty excited! Oh, I hope this is more fun than last time!!!
It is going to be a fun and relaxing trip. Let's will it to be so :). Again... I truly hope you have a fabulous trip.

I have TSA Precheck, and a flight at 6:30. I'm currently thinking 3:30-4. Anyone have suggestions or experiences that might help me figure it out? I really don't want to be sitting around the airport for 3 hours if I can help it.
I went last week and left in a Thursday. I took Mears. My shuttle arrived at AS Sports at about 4:30 for a 7:55 flight. We were the last stop. We had to stop at Terminal C first so I got to a terminal B at 5:25. No bags to check. I got through security and to my terminal in less than 10 minutes from entering the airport. I had lounge access so I hung out there. I’m not sure February crowds but if you don’t have bags to check and it was like last week, I think 3:30 might be early especially if you’re taking a Lyft. I’d probably do 4 getting you about 2 hrs early. If I had reports your week of light lines, I might even push 4:30. If you have bags to check, your original timeline seems good. But YMMV.

Just a few days out now. With Soarin Over CA ending the same day Flower and Garden fest starts, I've been debating whether I want to switch my Epcot day to Monday, in hopes the crowds will be less. I've read MK has heavy crowds on Monday so I could easily switch those dates. But I have a lunch ressie at MK that I want to keep, and honestly, I just dn't feel like switching. I may be being stubborn instead of smart, but I think I'm going to keep Epcot on Tuesday, and ropedrop Soaring so I get at least one ride.

The weather is supposed to be cool on arrival day, so I keep going back and forth on what to wear. Luckily the rest of the weather sounds great, so I'm set for those days.

Arrival day I'm keeping a little flexible. My plane lands pretty early, and I should be at the Lodge by 10. I'm hoping my room might be ready early, in which case I'll unpack, get my Instacart order, wander the lodge and have some lunch, trying to head over to AK around 1:30-2. If the room is not ready, I had been thinking to go to the pool, but it's going to be too cool for that. So now I'm thinking maybe I would head to Disney Springs, get lunch there, shop a little, maybe pick up some cookies, then head back to the Lodge to drop off whatever I buy, and still head over to AK around 2. This is a No Lose set of options. :)

I've got all my final To Do lists. I love those. Every time I cross something off the list, it feels like my vacation is a little closer. Work has been eye-rolling this week, so it's a particularly good time to head to WDW. I just need the next 3 days to go quicker!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter