I'm taking a Birth Certificate for my huge almost 3 year old.........

Spoisal

DIS Veteran
I'm taking a Birth Certificate for my very big almost 3 year old, but has anyone ever really needed to provide one? I guess park entrance, buffets, and Hoop Dee Doo are the only places where it would come into play. Anyone ever been asked to show proof of their childs age? Hopefully the B.C. will be all they would need to see. :(

Oooh, I'd like to know this, also! My son is not yet 3, but is very tall (one more inch and he could ride Test Track!), and I've also been a bit worried that this might become an issue. If it's a problem, I'll go get him a state-issued ID, since I don't think I'd feel particularly comfortable carrying his birth certificate around.

Good question!

I took one this past trip for my tall for his age 9 year old. I just made a reduced size copy of his original and DH stuck it in his billfold. We never needed it but he was asked at almost all character/buffets how old he was. Made me feel better anyway. At three he was tiny for his age so it was not an issue. I was chalanged at a local O'Charlies the other night about his being 10. Kids 10 and under eat free. She was not very polite and I was not very happy. Never happened at WDW though.

jordan's mom

I am planning to take a copy of my 2 year old's BC. Actually, I ordered 3 certified copies when he was born, so I have extras, but I'm just going to take a plain photocopy. He's small for his age but has a big head & chubby face, so people often say he's a big boy. Usually that's only if he's wearing winter/fall clothes, though.

My real concern is that they'll ask him how old he is. He knows he's 2, but lately has been saying 3 or 6, just for fun. :rolleyes: I just don't want any problems!

My kids are both very tall for there age. My daughter turned three on our last trip and was big enough for Test Track, Tower of Terror and many other height restricted rides. They did not question me at all. I don't know if they have gotten any stricter, because that was three and a half years ago, but they were great back then about it. They thought it was funny that she was loving the Tower of Terror at 3.

I don't think it will be necessary. We have taken my son TWICE over age three (once at age 4 and 4 months) and they ushered him right in without asking both times! (and we had already bought the ticket!) AND he is tall. Come to think of it, my second son was on the second trip, he wasn't yet three but is so big people often ask if he is his brother's twin, and they never looked twice at him, either. And you know how most Disney employees are, they are so nice and err on the side of benefitting the customer. I just can't imagine them demanding that you provide proof of his age. Maybe I am being naive (?)
Lynn

My DD will turn 3 the week AFTER our trip. She also is very tall and I was planning on taking a BC just in case. Better safe than sorry...and you know if you leave the BC at home, they are guaranteed to ask for it! LOL
:Pinkbounc

I have found that they really don't question the childs age. Bring the BC just in case though as things can change fast at WDW.

At what age are the required to buy a ticket? When I took my son last year he was 2 and would turn 3 after we got home. But I was still nervous because I thought at age 3 they had to purchase a ticket.

My son is a giant. He's 4 and almost as tall as his 7 yo sister. When we went to WDW when he was 2.5 he and his sister looked like twins & we were asked several times for his park pass. We just said that he was only 2 and they said, "OK" I noticed that most of the people who asked this were younger CM's. The older CM's could tell that he really was quite young. No one even asked us to prove that he was only 2.

Last year when we went he was 3.5. (Looking more like a 5 yo) When we checked into AS's my parents weren't with us (we had connecting rooms so we could all stay at AS's) The CM saw that we had 5 in our party. He told us that we couldn't stay at the AS because we only had one room. I showed him that we had a connecting room with my parents and that our reservations were attached. For some reason he couldn't figure that part out LOL! So he said, "I'll just say that he's only 2. He doesn't look that old anyway."

You shouldn't have any problems. Most people when they observe a child for a minute or two will realize that even though he may *look* like a 4 yo, he still acts 2. Oh, I do remember one time that a CM asked our son how old he was and when he held up 10 fingers and said, "Eleventeen" The CM laughed and said, "Must be 2!"

I've never needed one, but I always bring it. My DS 11 is taller than I am and eats HUGE amounts of food. I don't want to be suspected of smuggling in a 16yo for child prices at the buffets...so I always have it with me just in case. ;)

My kids are all tall for their ages, and we've never been challenged. I think they take your word for it. But if you want to be on the safe side, check your kids' health insurance cards. I'd be willing to bet their birthdates are on them. At least that would save you the trouble of copying/carrying birth certificates.

I think you are very smart to do so. It will make you feel better and if anything were to be questioned you'd have an easy answer.

We were also worried about this on our last trip in May. I have 2 boys that are very big for their age. My then 2 yr old was tall enough to go on all the rides over 40 in. (Tower of Terror, Test Track, Splash Mountain etc.) and we never had them ask us his age at any of the gates or rides. He got a lot of stares from people in line while going on Tower of Terror though :)

The year before he was only 1 and was able to flew for free and when it came time for everyone to eat they brought him a baby meal and the stewardess just laughed and said "I don't think you'll be needing this" He just looked really big sitting there, but no one ever questioned it.

savs

I agree with savs! My DS also tall for his age actually rode BTM, SM, and TT at 2 1/2. We brought a photocopy of his birth certificate just in case, but we were never asked to present it for park admission or at character meals. In fact no one ever questioned his age.

My dd was small for her age when we went when she was 2 and 1/2, BUT she talks much older (full and complete sentences at 18 mos! OY!). I did get asked how old she was if the CM spoke to her. But they never asked me to prove it. I had the most trouble at buffets/character meals, the servers would always charge for her, because they talked to her they just assumed, but we would tell them she was only 2 and they would take care of it without any more problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter