In America...

Neapolitan Ice Cream

DIS Veteran
...do you celebrate Guy Fawke's night? AKA. Bonfire Night? It is marked with HUGE firework displays, the burning of a "Guy" (either just an effigy or a topical person like Bin Laden) and dancing in the streets. It's like 4th July on steroids.

It’s a Brit holiday named for one of the conspirators who plotted to blew up Parliament. Fortunately for him the sentence of being hung, drawn and quartered was not carried out for the most part while l he lived. He died of a broken neck and missed the rest of his punishment. The same was not true of his fellow rebels they received the full treatment.
His body is burned in effigy over a bonfire in the early part of November and sometimes a national foe replaces him such as the Pope, Hitler, etc.

To the best of my knowledge Guy Fawkes Day is only observed in the UK.

It’s a Brit holiday named for one of the conspirators who plotted to blew up Parliament. Fortunately for him the sentence of being hung, drawn and quartered was not carried out for the most part while l he lived. He died of a broken neck and missed the rest of his punishment. The same was not true of his fellow rebels they received the full treatment.
His body is burned in effigy over a bonfire in the early part of November and sometimes a national foe replaces him such as the Pope, Hitler, etc.

To the best of my knowledge Guy Fawkes Day is only observed in the UK.
The Pope is a "national foe" to British?

I learned of it from reading the Paddington series as a kid, but no, we don't celebrate it where I live.

My husband always likes to watch V for Vendetta this time of year, but we don’t celebrate it in the states.

The Pope is a "national foe" to British?
Most certainly was at the time of Guy Fawkes’s death which sorry I didn’t say initially was during the early 17th century. The UK was in the midst of a period of political and religious unrest and the Pope was considered an enemy along with an ever changing roster of different countries that often identified as Catholic.

Last edited:
Most certainly was at the time of Guy Fawkes’s death which sorry I didn’t say initially was during the early 17th century. The UK was in the midst of a period of political and religious unrest and the Pope was considered an enemy along with an ever changing roster of different countries that often identified as Catholic.
I'm impressed with your command of British history.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter