In Case You Think The WDW Slump Isn't Real

Only in your mind. They are not close on the keyboard.

Tell that to those rabid racists at CNN and the Associated Press who made the same typo. You would think that someone with over 11,000 posts who was a racist would have been outed long ago. Thank goodness we have people like you and EnnEss to enlighten us :laughing:

And what did you mean by the statement that prices would go up, anyway?

Anybody who followed the election would know that one candidate is opposed to new domestic oil (even though the position softened as the prices shot up), wants to go after Big Oil and their obscene profits (everybody harps about the $1000/minute profits but gets amnesia when it comes to the part about the $4000/minute taxes), wants a big push on alternative sources of energy, wants to raise the mileage and clean air standards and raise taxes on corporations. All of that translates into higher prices on oil, even if the OPEC nations keep their prices at the same level. There is a large part of the constituency that thinks higher gas prices are perfectly fine and good for the environment. They feel the current administration has been lax and they want more done. There is another part of the constituency who thinks that "spreading the wealth" means they won't have to worry about prices as much anymore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ikOxi9yYk

No matter how you cut it we are going to have a change of policy in the new administration which will lead to higher gas prices. It's one of the things an informed voter knew about before they stepped into the voting booth. I take it you didn't vote, or if you did you just voted for change. Not just change, but change you can believe in. :rolleyes:

This thread has moved over into the type of thread that best finds it's home on the Community Board. As such, this one will be moved there.

Knox

I'm getting married at the BWI on 12/14 and was told 12/11 was completely sold out for my fiance and I. I questioned a couple people in the company on this and they all had the same thing to say. "There's not a room to be had at the BWI." I realize it's the holiday season, and the BWI has a great location to the festivities, but early/mid Dec is usually pretty slow. Maybe it's just the Epcot resorts, but I don't think WDW can be hurting that much, at least that time of year.

Many people are still going because of a variety of reasons -- vacation is already paid for --- special event or reunion ----- or they have their heads in the sand <----that would be anyone who is doing a Disney vacaton and putting in on their credit card to pay off later.

Anaheim has already announced there will be layoffs - company wide. They have spent the last two years cutting back to the bone - company wide....what is left to cut. We will find out. Maybe we will have the park bathrooms cleaned less during the day, maybe fewer Mousekeepers so when we return at 5 to change for dinner....our rooms aren't made up....maybe fewer bus drivers. We WILL find out.

Don't fool yourselves - Disney will find a way to get your $$$ ---- look at DVC....they paid in advance!!! Disney is dancing all the way to the bank with their DVC guests. That an ESPN have been the $$$ cows for Disney for years now.

I heard a DVC guest say they would bank their points this year because they didn't get a "deal" when the cash guests got their 7 for 4 deal. Know what Disney is saying to you....GO AHEAD.....we will sell your room to a cash guest - WOOHOO.

The hardest hits for the tourist business will be in areas that require a flight - Hawaii (bleeding right now), Caribbean and Europe for American's. Cruiselines are re-scheduling their ships for closer to home in 2009. I bet Disney is thrilled (?) they will have a ship in Europe.

Our British friends and guests from Europe will not be keeping the parks packed....this economy is now beginning to hit them.

Disney will survive, but to those of you who think they are doing well.....all I can say is in September we snagged a DOUBLE castmember discount for the Grand Californian and in 2 weeks we leave for WDW with a 65% discount on our room (50% has been the norm). Disney doesn't give away a penny unless they have to.

edited to add ---

That 65% is on a 1BR Villa at BWV. I guess we got the room the DVC guest cancelled because they hadn't gotten a deal!

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081110/mcdonald_s_sales.html?.v=1

McDonald's same-store sales rise 8.2 percent in October as consumers seek value

Those sales are due to people skipping Applebees, Longhorn steakhouse, etc., and heading over for a value meal.
Theres a little more to that as well. The AFA boycott recently ended for McDonalds. There's (from what I've read) like 150,000 people who boycotted McDonalds during this. I could be wrong about the numbers.. I'm relying on memory here about something I wasn't completely interested in to begin with. I'd figure that had a small effect on McDs sales. Probably not that much, but a little at least.

Don't fool yourselves - Disney will find a way to get your $$$ ---- look at DVC....they paid in advance!!! Disney is dancing all the way to the bank with their DVC guests. That an ESPN have been the $$$ cows for Disney for years now.

DVC is a house of cards waiting to collapse. People paid big $$$ and, when the economy was good, could expect at least a reasonable return if they had to sell thanks to ROFR. Of course Disney exercised that option because they could take the points, turn around and sell them to someone else for more money. When the economy goes south and they can't easily resell them they will pass on ROFR and resales will begin to resemble the rest of the timeshare industry. Wyndham Bonnet Creek, the closest timeshare to WDW (actually inside the property) now sells at resale for 2 to 5 cents on the dollar. The rest of the resorts aren't doing any better. I can only hope that the majority of DVC owners have enough reserves to ride it out because this isn't the environment where you want to be in a position to where you have to sell.

I believe Ted Kennedy called Obama "Osama" in a speech once. Mistake. I wouldn't rip him for it. Nor would I rip the typo on the thread, not after the poster came in and said it was a mistake.

There's not a room to be had anywhere at WDW from 12/12-12/16 (I am booked in two different resorts for the 4 night period - had to do it that way) although things are going to be different next year, most likely.

And I sure don't see DVC crumbling. People are scrambling to buy at Bay Lake Tower. (I'd hope they stop building after that) and I really don't understand DVC people getting upset that they're not being offered a deal. We already got our deal.

They lost me as a frequent visitor after closing Pleasure Island, I'm sure they will lose other frequent visitors for different reasons.

DVC is a house of cards waiting to collapse. People paid big $$$ and, when the economy was good, could expect at least a reasonable return if they had to sell thanks to ROFR. Of course Disney exercised that option because they could take the points, turn around and sell them to someone else for more money. When the economy goes south and they can't easily resell them they will pass on ROFR and resales will begin to resemble the rest of the timeshare industry. Wyndham Bonnet Creek, the closest timeshare to WDW (actually inside the property) now sells at resale for 2 to 5 cents on the dollar. The rest of the resorts aren't doing any better. I can only hope that the majority of DVC owners have enough reserves to ride it out because this isn't the environment where you want to be in a position to where you have to sell.

If they have to sell I would have to say I would be in line to buy,if i can get a good deal i would do it. But I hope they do not,Its some thing they can pass down to the familey,and all can enjoy.

If they have to sell I would have to say I would be in line to buy,if i can get a good deal i would do it. But I hope they do not,Its some thing they can pass down to the familey,and all can enjoy.

That's normally what happens, one person's disaster becomes another person's golden opportunity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter