In your opinion what is the most overrated thing in WDW?

There are things I routinely skip due to my perceived value of the experience. One I don't see mentioned often is TSMM. I like Buzz better as well as Men in Black at Universal. The action required to shoot hurts my arm and I don't want to use a Tier One FP+ for it.

Uhh, the entire premise of the thread is to get subjective responses.
Except you seem to be speaking for all hence my comment about "value" being subjective.

When you say: "Their prices prove that they are way too proud of their product." it certaintly didn't sound like, at least to me, you were saying You find their pricing (of which I can only assume you mean everything-food, tickets, add-ons, resorts, souvenirs, etc since you didn't specify more sounded like the entire company as a whole) to mean WDW holds no value. It sounded more like a blanket statment.

I also have to ask....do you visit any Disney park then?

Except you seem to be speaking for all hence my comment about "value" being subjective.

When you say: "Their prices prove that they are way too proud of their product." it certaintly didn't sound like, at least to me, you were saying You find their pricing (of which I can only assume you mean everything-food, tickets, add-ons, resorts, souvenirs, etc since you didn't specify more sounded like the entire company as a whole) to mean WDW holds no value. It sounded more like a blanket statment.

I also have to ask....do you visit any Disney park then?

You, (and I mean YOU), assume too much!

You, (and I mean YOU), assume too much!
Ok then...

You weren't exactly forthcoming with details in your first statement, hence another poster mentioning it depended on what product you were talking about.

You made quite a broad statement and I was intrigued. The thread is about the most overrated thing...so it was interesting that Disney's pricing (of which I still don't know what pricing you are talking about) to you (since you appearantly clarified with your "you assume too much statement" that you were speaking about you and only you rather than all) means Disney is too proud of their product.

But you still didn't answer my question then if you visit any Disney Park. Do you vote with your wallet then and vacation elsewhere besides Disney parks? Is it that you only vote with your wallet regarding WDW but still visit other parks? And if it is the latter what draws you to the other parks and not have the impression that Disney is too proud of their product there?

Honestly here just trying to get more information as I'm not sure then what your subjective opinion is on the matter with what information you've posted.

I agree about the turkey legs. I never understood those at the parks. Ren faires, maybe.

Funny thing about the turkey legs. About 12 years ago I was eating a turkey leg and my wife took a candid picture of me chowing down. It's pretty funny but somehow based on that one incident many years ago I'm now the guy who loves turkey legs. Bear in mind I have never eaten a whole turkey leg since then, but every time we are at Disney world (or anywhere else that has them) there has to be a whole conversation about how much I like turkey legs. I'll never live it down.

Art of Animation Resort. Stayed there for a week, and am astounded whenever I hear positive things about it. Sure the courtyards are fun, but once you actually get into a park they're really nothing special. I thought it was awful. Worst hotel experience I've had anywhere, not just WDW.

I'd like to also say Avatarland, because that has NEVER made sense to me, but I haven't gone yet and don't want to say something I haven't done. I can't help but feel though that in like...10 years they're going to shut it all down to re-theme it to something more timeless. Maybe Beastly Kingdom can finally appear.
With 3 more sequels planned over the next 10 years, I highly doubt that. It is visually stunning and completely immersive. You won't find Mickey anywhere in that area (no merch, no ice cream, nothing). It's pretty outstanding the amount of detail that went into this land. Of course, I do believe that it is much more interesting and enjoyable if you are fan of the film.

Jungle Cruise

I just don't get it. DH loves it and we actually used a fastpass on it last trip. o_O

With 3 more sequels planned over the next 10 years, I highly doubt that. It is visually stunning and completely immersive. You won't find Mickey anywhere in that area (no merch, no ice cream, nothing). It's pretty outstanding the amount of detail that went into this land. Of course, I do believe that it is much more interesting and enjoyable if you are fan of the film.
I sorta agree with you there on the enjoyable if you are a fan of the film.

Granted I haven't yet been there (will in a few months) but just getting information,reading threads, watching videos, etc I think you can absolutely enjoy it without having had any knowledge on Avatar. But a part of me feels some things get lost if you haven't watched the film. Not only that but some things may seem "meh" even if you have watched the film but didn't enjoy the film.

Maybe it's just my own experience in looking at people's reviews but it seems like a lot of people put in their reviews if they are a fan or not of Avatar...but I don't feel like that's the same for other things at WDW. Like I don't think people ride TSMM and preface their review on it necessarily on "well I'm a fan of the movies sooo" At times I feel like being a fan or not a fan of the movie is being used as a criteria for someone's level of enjoyment. Hopefully that makes sense.

Honestly here just trying to get more information as I'm not sure then what your subjective opinion is on the matter with what information you've posted.

Hi,
I've been to WDW many times, including this year. I will continue to go to WDW; however, I don't believe that the value that they deliver is on par with the price that they charge. You chose specific attractions as your overrated thing, I chose the value as the overrated thing.

Animal Kingdom... All of it...Just an expensive, hot zoo to me :tongue:. Now, with Avatar land it's even busier with plastic glow in the dark scenery. (I've heard some good reviews of the ride but not enough to make me spend the day in the park lol!). I just always refuse to go to that park. Just me and my families opinion :)

What.

We spent a full day there and didn't even feel like we scratched the surface. The theming of that park is just phenomenal. It felt like the most "alive" of any of the parks to me and my kids.

Granted, there aren't a whole lot of rides (and we were there pre-Avatar), but the rest of the park is just so immersive, we hardly noticed.

Hi,
I've been to WDW many times, including this year. I will continue to go to WDW; however, I don't believe that the value that they deliver is on par with the price that they charge. You chose specific attractions as your overrated thing, I chose the value as the overrated thing.

I don't know that WDW has ever promoted itself as the "value" choice in vacations.

Talking Mickey. Sorry. I love character meets (as evidenced by my avatar) but I can't get behind this one. There was a lag in conversation and it all felt awkward. As a kid I would have had to have been under the age of 5 to not find it weird and uncomfortable. I'd rather just chat with a quiet Mickey and make out his charades. For some reason that feels less weird to me. Everything's relative, I guess!

Also Chef Mickey, BOG for dinner, Peter Pan (which I ride and like, but think is overrated), and the dining plan.

In defense of dole whip: as someone with dietary restrictions keeping me from eating gluten or dairy, dole whip is a godsend! It's made of all kinds of things I can't pronounce, but none of them have any of the major allergens in them, and it's a fabulous alternative for ice cream for those with allergies. It's also the same reason I give a vote in defense of Disney popcorn!

Not that I don't enjoy a Dole Whip,
it just doesn't compare to eating them at the Dole Plantation on Oahu. Maybe it's the ambience.
Ok so I don't remember ever getting a Dole Whip in my past trips! Maybe I did but I just don't remember them.

Did you get a Dole Whip first time at the Dole Plantation or at WDW?

My husband and I had a Dole Whip each this past September at the Dole Plantation and we really enjoyed it and we do plan on getting one this September at WDW so we'll see if I prefer one over the other.

I'm wondering if for some people the taste is not necessarily out of this world but that there's that sentimental attachment to having one at WDW??

I don't know that WDW has ever promoted itself as the "value" choice in vacations.
I don't think so either. I think if anything Disney has promoted itself as The place to go or the Unique or Magical place. I think their advertisements have been largely about providing this feeling to guests that keep them wanting to go again and again. Feelings are not necessarily ones attached to price tags YKWIM?

Hi,
Ok I get you a bit more. But I'm still a bit confused. Why patronize a place that as a whole you find has become too proud of themselves? You don't have to obviously answer that just was wondering.

Like I totally get if one thing or the other is overrated to you because the pricing just doesn't reflect in what you personally feel you would get. I remember when Disney After Dark first was announced with the pricing and people were like "uh no way get out of town that's too much" and in the words of Pete "Disney was tone deaf" to their customers thinking they could charge such a high amount just because other extra add on things they were able to sell at X price. Disney eventually lowered the pricing too after having given out free tickets to it and giving discounts to it. Enough Disney visitors said there just wasn't value in it for them at that price.

And I even get if you say Disney as a whole (including tickets, adds ons, food, resorts, souvenirs, etc) and then have decided you don't want to come back until you feel there is value again, it just becomes a bit muddled when you visit a place that you find the pricing in everything doesn't provide that value you are looking for. Obviously it's a personal thing here I just wouldn't keep going back to a place (be it a vacation place, a restaurant, a store, etc) where I didn't feel like I was getting bang for my buck as a whole (versus places just having draw backs or some things I don't find worth it).

Fantasmic.

You'd have to pay me a lot of money to get me to waste my time watching that boring show again.
Me, too! I just don't get it. I kept thinking, "This is it?" I did the whole Fantasmic dinner package so I wouldn't have to wait in line for so long, and ended up wishing I hadn't done it at all. I was bored, and haven't been back since. I wanted to like it, just didn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter