• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Indiana Jones Adventure ride - too risky for weakened bones?

BlueSeashell

Earning My Ears
Hello,

I am planning to travel to Disneyland at the end of this year with my elderly mother, who has metastasized cancer in her bones among other problems. I am trying to get a feel for which rides will be safe for her to enjoy, and which to avoid. She's not frail exactly, more just at an increased risk for injury. While I know some rides like the Matterhorn and all the Mountain rides are out, I have found conflicting information about the Indiana Jones Adventure ride. What have you experienced with this ride? How jarring is it? Do you get tossed around in the seats?

I'd also be interested in hearing about any other suggestions for helping keep her comfortable during our trip! Are there other rides to avoid? Thank you!

I would say avoid Indy, Splash might be ok. Thunder is definitely easier on your body than Indy.

I would also avoid:
  • Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin
  • Autopia
  • Smugglers Run
  • Rise of the Resistance
  • Star Tours
  • Swinging gondolas on the fun wheel (nonswinging should be ok)
  • Toy story
  • Maters
  • Racers may or may not be ok
  • Incredicoaster
  • Guardians
  • Grizzly
  • Goofy's sky school
Wow, that sounds like a lot, but there are still a lot of attractions left.

I have metastasized breast cancer in my bones (spine primarily) and rode Dinosaur when at WDW recently. The ride system is basically the same as the Indiana Jones ride in DL. While I did fine on the ride, it was probably the hardest on me and made me the most uneasy. I rode Tower of Terror and did fine on that since it's just straight up and down, but the more jarring and side-to-side movements on Dinosaur were more uncomfortable for me. As I mention, I did fine on it (but I'm also not especially elderly -56 yo and outside my cancer in good health otherwise). I'd be hesitant to put her on it, frankly.

Again these were at WDW, but other rides I managed with no difficulty at all included Smuggler's Run, Rise of the Resistance, and Toy Story Midway Mania. Again, my experience wouldn't necessarily be the same as your mother's though. Maybe try something relatively gentle first and see how she feels after that and perhaps gradually increase some intensity as she tolerates.

I would say avoid Indy, Splash might be ok. Thunder is definitely easier on your body than Indy.

I would also avoid:
  • Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin
  • Autopia
  • Smugglers Run
  • Rise of the Resistance
  • Star Tours
  • Swinging gondolas on the fun wheel (nonswinging should be ok)
  • Toy story
  • Maters
  • Racers may or may not be ok
  • Incredicoaster
  • Guardians
  • Grizzly
  • Goofy's sky school
Wow, that sounds like a lot, but there are still a lot of attractions left.

My father had a spinal injury and he could do: Toy Story, the swinging gondolas, and Radiator Springs Racers no problem. Grizzly was his favorite ride (but it was a little hard on him, physically). Otherwise, I agree with this list. And you may want to be more cautious than my dad was, of course.

Indiana Jones was the worst in terms of jostling, I think.

I've ridden Indiana Jones many times. I feel like it's the ride at the Disneyland that requires the most strength. You really need to be able to hold on to keep yourself stable around the turns. You do get tossed around in your seat and you can feel your seatbelt holding you in. I have often felt like I would be airborne if not for the seatbelt. I would also recommend avoiding the Matterhorn. It's a pretty rough ride and tends to hurt my back and neck. I have given up on riding it, but my DH and boys love it. I find that DL's Space Mountain is much smoother than the version at WDW. The seats are side-by-side and I feel like you sit up a little higher. I have given up riding Space at WDW, but I love riding it at DL. I don't have any particular back or neck issues, but a few rides can leave me feeling sore so I avoid them.

My mom is 74 and has brittle bones. She has a hard time on jarring rides like Indiana Jones/dinosaur. She considers those the worst rides in the park BUT I told her to avoid Matterhorn and she hasn’t rode space mountain in years at either park although I agree with the pp that DL version is much easier on you than the WDW version. She is able to enjoy the other rides though without any issues. (She won’t ride incredicoaster or guardians because she’s 74 and has no desire to ) Her favorite ride is thunder mountain railroad and does toy story, star tours, mater, and grizzly run just fine. just take it easy. It’s all individual but I would avoid Indiana Jones

My mom is 74 and has brittle bones. She has a hard time on jarring rides like Indiana Jones/dinosaur. She considers those the worst rides in the park BUT I told her to avoid Matterhorn and she hasn’t rode space mountain in years at either park although I agree with the pp that DL version is much easier on you than the WDW version. She is able to enjoy the other rides though without any issues. (She won’t ride incredicoaster or guardians because she’s 74 and has no desire to ) Her favorite ride is thunder mountain railroad and does toy story, star tours, mater, and grizzly run just fine. just take it easy. It’s all individual but I would avoid Indiana Jones
The WDW version of space is quite literally the Matterhorn in the dark with different restraints and the left and right sides reversed, but identical track layouts.

The WDW version of space is quite literally the Matterhorn in the dark with different restraints and the left and right sides reversed, but identical track layouts.
Makes sense. I won’t ride either anymore. Too jerky

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter