3. Electricity
4. Water
5. Trash
6. Insurance
7. Telephone with dsl/$3.00 more than dail-up/no long distance

Plus
Basic Direct TV $39./ instead of movie rentals and movie nights

Shop at Grocery Outlet and Winco[2 cheapest food stores]

Don't have any Credit Cards. Not even one for emergencies.

Have 1 beater car that was $600. paid with a tax refund 4 years ago, runs and runs, just a couple of quirks.

Have NO savings[whats that?] and whats a retirement?

Husbands working 40 hrs and job doesn't allow Any overtime.

And I'm still shuffling bills to see who gets paid this month or next.

Then what should you do?

Transfered

Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Originally posted by tink2dw
What I want to know is; if you are down to paying
1. Mortgage
2. Natural Gas-heat
3. Electricity
4. Water
5. Trash
6. Telephone with dsl/$3.00 more than dail-up/no long distance

Plus

Have 1 beater car that was $600. paid with a tax refund 4 years ago, runs and runs, just a couple of quirks.

Then what do you do?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We started raising our thermostat on our AC by a degree--it is a programmable thermastat--so all temp changes, i.e. 78 at 10am, 79 at 5pm, etc--we raised by one degree. In theory, the same idea can work in reverse in the winter--by lowering a degree. You will utilize less energy--and lower your energy costs. Basically you can do this every week or so until you get to your minimum comfort level where another adjustment would be too hot or too cold.

Our cable bil is $13--we just have channels 2 through 20. I couldn't see spending the extra just to have a zillion channels with only 2 channels I watch regularly.

We have cable internet--I do not recall the cost.

Trash--is it feasible for you to haul your own trash? Also, can you recycle and haul that in and exchange it for cash?

Water--shut the shower off when you are washing, turn it back on to rinse (I do this sometimes, otherwise I just take a quick shower). We used to let the girls take their bath with the water running and drain open. We put a stop to that, they bathe/play in only 1-2 inches of water--I think it lowered our water bill by at least $5-$10 (not sure if it had cycled the whole month or not).

2nd job--it is difficult for me to get one as the yield is so little for me to result in a significant budget dent. But--perhaps either you getting a job if you do not have one or either one or both of you getting a 2nd job (depending on your kid situation). Since your situation sounds kind of permanent (regular expenses, versus no listed debt expenses)--It might be important in looking at career options for yourself or career changes for your husband if that is feasible.

Also--I am not sure if you would classify your income as getting by or just that you are in a high cost of living area--but another extreme could be selling your house--only if without compromising quality and safety that you could move into a less expensive home. I.e. in our area--the beachside community where I live exploded in terms of land value--so my home that we bought for less than 6 figures is now 2-3 times in marketable value since we bought it. If we had to we could move to another nice area in town, get a house that is just as good if not better for a lot less than what we could sell our current home for. If you have that type of opportunity--then that could be your best bet. Sometimes it is hard to let go and do that, but for some people it can be the best decision ever made. Results in a lower mortgage, and possibly even the development of a savings account if the net reduction in housing price is large enough.

Good luck!

TO tink2wd.....
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

First thing that jumps to mind in your scenario.... if you are paying for trash, stop the trash pick up and go to the dump.

Turn down the heat in the house and the hot water heater to save gas/oil.

Turn off the lights and EVERYTHING else that is non-essential whenever possible. This includes nightlights, fans, computers, curling irons. If you have more than one fridge/freezer, you may want to consider discontinuing use of it, unless you find it is essential to your grocery buying scheme (like getting a great deal on meat).

Water.... watch your useage.... showers, flushes (consider putting a gallon jug full of water in your toilet tank to conserve), dishes/dishwasher, laundry.... try to conserve everywhere! Don't let it run while you wash dishes, brush teeth, shave, etc.

You didn't mention food.... most EVERYONE has an area where they could conserve on their food bill. Bread and milk are relatively "essential".... soda, chips, and coffee are not. Eggs are a great source of cheap protein, as are rice and beans and oatmeal. Read some books on nutrition and see how you can still eat a nutritious meal without spending $6.99 for lunch meat or $4.99 for pork chops.

While I understand the basic directTV for $39/month, if it meant the difference between paying off a bill or not, I think I would dump the TV.... but I do understand the desire to keep just this basic "luxury".

I'm sure you got many other answers while I slowly typed this and ate my breakfast.... but I sincerely hope this helps......P

mrsbornkuntry
Welcomed Guest

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by tink2dw
What I want to know is; if you have pared down, to only paying
1. Mortgage
2. Natural Gas-heat
3. Electricity
4. Water
5. Trash
6. Insurance
7. Telephone with dsl/$3.00 more than dail-up/no long distance

Plus

Don't have any Credit Cards. Not even one for emergencies.

Have NO savings[whats that?] and whats a retirement?

And I'm still shuffling bills to see who gets paid this month or next.

Then what should you do?

Have you considered a job change or is there a promotion in horizon? Or maybe going to school during off time for a degree (apply for financial aid), or a second job during off time to help you catch up some?

DH and I have been in this situation and that's the only thing that would dig us out, we knew we needed more money so in our case he went from National Guard to Active Duty military, and I became a SAHM instead of working full-time and that actually saved us money.

Also, have you considered getting help from WIC or food stamps until you can pay your basics on your own? You don't mention if you have kids, but it's easier to swallow your pride when you're doing it for your kids' sake.

Are car repairs costing you as much as a car payment and is the car as fuel effiecient as a newer model?

Make a menu and grocery list and stick to them, use what's on sale as a base, clip coupons, walk when you can instead of driving, combine errands into as few of trips as you can (with gas prices what they are now this can add up).

Have a yard sale and/or ebay some of your unused items for some extra spending money (then use the money to catch up a bill). Pay your bills on time to avoid late fees.

CarolA

Hasn't been overlooked by the Tag Fairy

How much of your income as a precentage are you spending on the mortgage?

Regardless of what you said about not being in danger of losing the house it sounds to me like you may be "house poor" As in, we can afford this house but NOTHING else. It might be time to downsize.

Trash--is it feasible for you to haul your own trash? Also, can you recycle and haul that in and exchange it for cash?

Lisa loves Pooh-
thermostat- already do this

light- are shut off AND we use lower wattage bulbs, nothing over 75 watts.

trash-We tried to haul it but this cost much more!!

Water- we have super poor quality water so we only shower and flush it. We pay 38 cents for filtered gallon jugs at Winco.

Jobs- Dh is a nurse LPN- he is at the ceiling of his job- we are still below poverty level- me just started back to work-doing unpayed training.

2nd jobs- we are old and too tired.

Selling House- need it to help put DD thru college next 5 years. Then we will sell.

you are in a high cost of living area- Msn yesterday listed our city 4 on it's list of "highest cost of living areas"

you could move into a less expensive home- our home cost $76,000- can you do better,in move in condition??

pjlla-
I shop at the "Rainbow" Grocery Outlet store[cheapest store- I saved $76.00} on food Sunday and spent $100. will only need to buy at Winco [the store that beats all major name brand makets, ie Safeway Albertson's and others] on milk,eggs,margerine,cottage cheese,water,hamburger,chicken,and frozen burrito's,and Lazanga.

mrsbornkuntry-
car- we drive only $500. cars till they die. 1989 Chevy is running fine,with good gas milage.
Dh has a year free pass from his job and rides the Max lite rail and bus to work everyday.

Military-Dh is too old.

yard sale and/or ebay some of your unused items- everything we have is recycled,reused,remade,or used up. I been wearing the same,on sale at Kmart $5.00 shirts for last 7 years. I get jeans at the thrift store for under $9.00. Only own 2 pair of shoes my sneakers and my 2001 sandles[they last longer as the summers are so short here]

getting help from WIC or food stamps until you can pay your basics on your own- We pay basics. And wouldn't qualify for either of these. Even a senior friend could only get $30. worth of food stamps a month. She can't even live on that!

Coupons- I save money on not buying a paper and going to the outlet grocery store it is way cheaper there.

CarolA -
How much of your income as a precentage are you spending on the mortgage?- 50% is that bad??

We are going to refinance this November to lower APR and the payment. We will finally qualify for the lowest APR, 1.50% and cut our payment by $500.00 dollars.
And use the savings to help Dd with Comm. College costs.

While "still" recycle, reuse ,remake,or use up!!

Anyone else have any cost cutting ideas?? I would love to go to WDW.

You could check your insurance policy on the cars/ house. If you get higher deductables the monthly rates might be lower (but make sure you can live with the higher deductable you choose) - also I found that I could drop the medical insurance on the CARS coverage because our regular medical insurance would cover us for any medical needs and I don't transport other people on a regular basis. Talk with your insurance agent . Also shop around on prices.

The price of everything is going up EVERYTHING. I notice it at the grocery, certainly at the gas tank, at the kid's activities, colleges in our state announced a possible 10% tuition hike at the start of next year, ...everything going up but salaries! We have a trip to Disney planned for Dec. but that might be it for ANY vacation for a long time. Our economy is in dreadful condition. And we "aren't turning any corners" that I can see... unless it's a corner to the poor house. :(

Have you tried ebay and amazon (for books)? I have a 15 year old daugher that is constantly "needing" something. I started listing books on amazon 2 months ago. I have made $175. We also have a children's consignment sale 2x/year that I put all the kids play type clothes in. You might consider starting one of those yourself. The one I use is called Wee Swap. Two ladies started it about 15 years ago to make Christmas money for their kids. I'm sure they do very well now. They don't pay the workers. The workers get to come shop before the rest of the public. They don't pay for the building. They charge $5 to each consigner to cover the cost of the building. I made $229 this fall and the owners made $165. I think they have about 1000 consigners now.

tink2dw,
Your list seems pretty pared down to me!! I don't know where additional savings might come in unless you give up TV and phone altogether.

I did notice you are speaking of sending DD to college. If your finances are as such it seems like a sure shot that she would qualify for financial aid. Even if she isn't going next year you can talk to school guidance counselors, financial aid advisors at the college she will be attending, and check out the financial aid websites NOW so you'll have a better idea of what your actual out of pocket cost for college will be.
Also you mention your DH being a LPN, does he want/is he willing to go back to school to become a RN? The guidelines for financial aid allow greater monies if more than two people in the same family attend at the same time!

This is going to sound a little harsh since I'm sure it's not something anyone plans on doing with their children, but my
parents kicked me out when I was 17 (NO, THAT'S NOT MY SUGGESTION) and I had to work my way through college. The court ordered him to disclose his tax info. so they still used his income as a basis for my financial aid and because he didn't make very much I did not have to pay for any of my college (He was a security guard at a factory). I did have to take out a couple of loans, but those were up to me to repay, not him, and I was also able to get grants and scholarships. This was to a state school, not private or anything, but I worked to pay for my books, transportation, and spending money, and I only worked part time for minimun wage and I was still able to pay for that and keep my grades up so you may want to look into financial aid now because if you can see what the schools will pay for and how much your child can do for themselves it may take alot of worry off of you of how you are going to do this. There are alot of grants available now, on top of speaking to a guidance counselor you can also research them online. This isn't letting her fend for herself, but just being realistic with your finances. With tuitition prices what they are I think this is becoming more common than parents paying their children's way through college. People just can't afford to anymore. I'm hoping to go back to school next spring and this is how I will HAVE to do it.

Also, I wasn't suggesting that you join the military, I was just using that as an example of a job change because that's what OUR change was.

It may not hurt still to apply for food stamps, they look at different things besides just income and wouldn't $30 be SOMETHING, better than nothing? It sounds like you just need some help getting by until your unpaid training is over?

How long is your unpaid training for? And is the job halfway decent when you finish? I'm always shocked by the idea of "unpaid training."

Things should free up once you start getting paid. Even a lowpaying job adds income when your budget is as tight as yours is. If you are talking about saving $3 a month by turning out lights, you are definately to the point where additional income helps.

We have Netflix, which is $20 a month and lets us get as many movies as we want - three out at a time. Which is less than you are paying for your cable, with more individual flexibility.

Not every second job is demanding. You may be "too old and too tired" for a demanding second job, but if you can find something that you enjoy and get paid to do, you might find it invigorating rather than draining. I know a lot of folks here have gone the sales consultant route with Pampered Chef or Creative Memories - it allows them to put cash in their pockets doing something they enjoy on their own schedule.

And I agree, look long and hard at what you can afford to do for your daughter with regards to college. Take advantage of financial aid and loans. If you can't do it, you can't do it.

I bake all of our bread, rolls and buns. The cheap white bread that I can afford is junk and it still costs nearly $2 a loaf! I can bake two loaves of bread, that I add cottage cheese to for extra calcium for the kids, for around .70!

If I make a Hamburger Helper-type meal I use only .75 pounds of meat not a full pound.

I get tons of freebies by coupon shopping. Sunday I "bought" 6 Life Choice frozen meals, 3 Swiss Ives body washes, 3 shampoos, 3 Swiss Ives facial cleansers, 2 Zateran's mixes, 2 muffin mixes, and it cost me .37.

Somebody said While "still" recycle, reuse ,remake,or use up!!

That reminds me so much of the little saying my Aunt Lizzie used to tell me when I asked for things as a child. She'd say:

Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do
...or do without!

lol...I never forgot it and now my kids know it too!

I have two words for you SEASONAL JOB. There is plenty of jobs that only last 5 months or less a year working. Do have a staduims around you. If so go apply for ushers, concessions, and ticket takers jobs. You would be amaze on how much those jobs start out with. I make more money on my seasonal job then I do on perement part time job. I know odd. All stores is hireing for Christmas Help right now.

Since I can't found a full time job at the moment I am working a series of part time and seasonal jobs. Since baseball season is over with. I which to being a football concessions stand manager until I found a Christmas Job.

For daughter's college--what grade is she in? I was focused on getting scholarships because my mom and stepdad didn't save for my college. My dad started pretty late so without a scholarship and loans, I would not be college educated. If your daughter is good at the books, I wouldn't let her get a part-time job or anything that could screw that up--unless maybe it was just on the weekends. Don't count out scholarships--one does not have to make straight A's to get 1--I made 2 C's in high school at one point, but my graduating GPA was high enough to get a state scholarship.

As far as your house--just offering it as a suggestion if the resale value was substantial to be able to move to a lesser home. That was all. It isn't what you paid, but what you can sell it for and what you can move into (move in ready of course).

When you say you need the house to put her through college, are you looking at home equity? My question is, if that is your plan, how you would pay it back if your budget is stretched thin already. It is awesome when a parent can pay for their child's education. But their are plenty out there who were able to do so without parental assistance. If you are below poverty level--no sense in making things worse with you taking out a loan. Your daughter (if she gets loans) will not have to repay them until she graduates and then their is a 6 month waiting period. I would also encourage her to go the RN route if hubby is having so much trouble making decent income as an LPN. There are community colleges that offer 2 year RN degrees that offer the same bennies as 4 year RN degrees, if she (or you) are looking at limiting college to an Associates degree.

I'm sorry I have nothing else to offer for help. It is a sad report to hear you are below poverty level and can't even seek assistance because you make too much money :(

Oh--and yes 50% mortage to income is high--it shouldn't be more than a third--that could be why you are seemingly stretched. 25% is optimum--but with today's housing market--practically impossible unless you have a great down payment.

I'll admit to not reading all the posts, so this may not be appropriate to the situation. If you are unable to work for whatever reason, maybe you could apply for a college grant and take online classes so you can be home. A few years down the road you'll have a degree and possibly making big money! It won't help much this minute but it should pay for your school so there could be light at the end of the tunnel!

I don't have a whole lot to offer as far as suggestions, but I did want to point out one thing. While Lisa Loves Pooh is correct that there are 2 year RN programs, there's a little difference in the 2 and 4 year ones. The 2 year will make you an RN and you will be able to work as an RN, but the 4 year gives you a BSRN, which is what is required if you're looking to go into nurse management or work as a school nurse. My MIL is an RN, while DH's stepmother has a BSRN, and they have totally different career paths that they can take because of it. LOL! Not a major issue when it comes to the budget, but just something to keep in mind for future plans.

I know that you said that you are getting good deals on groceries, but checkout fatwallet.com under the forums and grocery coupons. I am amazed at what some of these people find for deals...combining a stores sale price, store coupon, manufact. coupon and then rebates on top. You would be amazed at just the free toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, body washes, deodorant, etc. just from doing Walgreens monthly rebates. It is an easy program, no ups to cut, just one receipt to mail. I won't ever pay for basic H&B products again. It is worth your time to check out what some of these people do to stockpile or rebate and save lots of $$$$$. I have fun doing it too!!!! If you have questions pm me!!! Good luck!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter