Interesting tidbit I heard while waiting to check into BCV

zulaya

DIS Veteran
Forgot to add this to my blurb about my trip 10/26-11/2...

I was waiting in line to check in and there was a couple ahead of me talking to the CM. Not meaning to eavesdrop, I heard them talk about "view"...I gathered the female party was not happy about where she was located.

The check-in CM says something like this, "Nothing is guaranteed, but we do take requests. We fill requests based on the date the reservation was made. So someone who made a reservation right at 11 months would get priority over someone who made a reservation closer to their arrival date."

If true, I was right happy to hear it! I ALWAYS make every effort to reserve at 11 months. After checking in and then thinking about it, it seems my request was going to be fulfilled. I had requested non-smoking, close to lobby. I was originally going to be assigned room 103, VERY close to the lobby.

SO...it seems, at that point anyway, that WHEN you made your reservation is being taken into account when filling requests.

Just a little tidbit...

That is either a new policy or not all resorts are the same. We made some requests for our stay at SSR and, other than getting NS, none of our requests were honored. I argued with the front desk and we were moved the next day.

I agree, requests should be granted based on the reservation date and not the check-in time. We booked at about 10 1/2 months out, but checked in after 10pm.

Now that I think back, I've had 2 experiences in the last 10 months which would both suggest that may be the case (Oh, I'd lose it to be true). First, the time I got a HA room without wanting one was when I was on the waitlist and it came thru 2 months ahead (so maybe that's like a late reservation). And the best room I had was when I reserved at the 11 month window for Mother's Day, even though we arrived at almost 8:00 pm. My experiences, I know, aren't really indicators that this "must" be true. But I hope, I hope....
I think this would be such an excellent policy.

I think this would be a fair practice. However, I know it doesn't exist at SSR. I have stayed there twice. Recently. Both times I booked a mere three weeks ahead of time.

And both times I had the most fantastic rooms. One with all my requests....DD view, high floor, N/S and the second I got 1 out of my 2 requests and a beautiful room. Actually, the one that I didn't get turned out to be the best surprise. I liked the first floor patio and the fact that I could sit down and have a clear view of the lake and DD.

And both times I've arrived early and my room was available. I've been very lucky and very fortunate. And I hope not too spoiled for the future.

Personally, I think that they have a difficult job...there are so many factors.

I wonder if BCV has their own procedure.

Just reporting what I overheard and deduced based on my own ressie. I would love to have my pre-planning slightly rewarded with my requests given a little more consideration over someone who just booked the week before.

Hopefully it wasn't an isolated incident and if it isn't applied equally over all resorts, that given time, it will be implemented everywhere in a more consistent fashion.

zulaya said:
"Nothing is guaranteed, but we do take requests. We fill requests based on the date the reservation was made. So someone who made a reservation right at 11 months would get priority over someone who made a reservation closer to their arrival date."
This is deja vous all over again...

Those of us who have been members for awhile remember when this was official policy. It seemed to work well and, IMHO, was fair for all.

Then, a few years back after a survey, DVC changed the policy to first-come-first-served. As I understand it, this is the current policy.

Having said that, I would love to see DVC revert to the first reservation made getting priority. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

zulaya said:
Just reporting what I overheard and deduced based on my own ressie. I would love to have my pre-planning slightly rewarded with my requests given a little more consideration over someone who just booked the week before.

Hopefully it wasn't an isolated incident and if it isn't applied equally over all resorts, that given time, it will be implemented everywhere in a more consistent fashion.

I wish this was true but our last three trips were booked at the 11 month window and we did not get our requests. We also arrived before noontime so check in time doesn't seem to matter either. All three stays were at BCV in June and September. Annmarie

zulaya said:
Forgot to add this to my blurb about my trip 10/26-11/2...

I was waiting in line to check in and there was a couple ahead of me talking to the CM. Not meaning to eavesdrop, I heard them talk about "view"...I gathered the female party was not happy about where she was located.

The check-in CM says something like this, "Nothing is guaranteed, but we do take requests. We fill requests based on the date the reservation was made. So someone who made a reservation right at 11 months would get priority over someone who made a reservation closer to their arrival date."

If true, I was right happy to hear it! I ALWAYS make every effort to reserve at 11 months. After checking in and then thinking about it, it seems my request was going to be fulfilled. I had requested non-smoking, close to lobby. I was originally going to be assigned room 103, VERY close to the lobby.

SO...it seems, at that point anyway, that WHEN you made your reservation is being taken into account when filling requests.

Just a little tidbit...

This is as it should be be, however after reading what seems like hundreds of threads on the topic, I dont believe this is the standard-across the board practice for DVC

I wonder if that screen shows the CMs the reservation date and then they can make up the excuse appropriately.

Reservation date three months prior: Requests are granted based on reservation date

Reservation date eleven months out: Oh, didn't you know, we switched to room ready.

We got back from a stay at the BWV booked eleven months out. Requested: Non Smoking, High Floor, End of Hall (Standard View room). Checked in about 3:00. Got: Non Smoking, First Floor, about half way down. Ended up with a great room BTW, Not far from the door to Luna Park which was perfect for my kids.

Mark099 said:
That is either a new policy or not all resorts are the same. We made some requests for our stay at SSR and, other than getting NS, none of our requests were honored. I argued with the front desk and we were moved the next day.

I agree, requests should be granted based on the reservation date and not the check-in time. We booked at about 10 1/2 months out, but checked in after 10pm.

I know this is the way seating is handled at the Hoop-Dee-Doo, which is why I'm always in the front row. :)

But I agree that this is absolutely the way DVC resort room allocations should be handled. Owners deserve priority, and this system would ensure that - as long as the owner booked far enough in advance, of course. I like this arrangement much better than just giving the owner priority regardless of when the owner booked. Someone from a different DVC resort who booked right when the seven-month window opened deserves priority owner an owner who booked a last-minute trip on a whim two weeks beforehand (not that that's possible very often).

Home resort priority and booking at the 11 month window does not guarantee your requests. BCV and BWV are our home resorts and I alway make our reservations at the 11 month window. There have been many times when only 1 of our requests has been granted. The request that was granted was for a non smoking room.

Sounds like a great question for the annual meeting. Who's ready to ask?

a mixture of old and new.
Any booking system must build an initial frame and then fill it out .
The addition of room ready means that if you have not arrived when your room is ready others may get it if their requests are similar.
I have used a series of requests that have led us to get on 30+ requests bar one occasion everything we asked for.

zulaya said:
The check-in CM says something like this, "Nothing is guaranteed, but we do take requests. We fill requests based on the date the reservation was made. So someone who made a reservation right at 11 months would get priority over someone who made a reservation closer to their arrival date."Just a little tidbit...

This is just Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at resorts with "Villas" in the name. At the others this is done on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Never on Sunday! :rolleyes:

These days the only request I give members services is non-smoking and a connected or associated reservation. When I check in I tell the CM what room request I have and that I am willing to wait because I am going to the park all day. I usaully get what I want or something close to it.

crisi said:
I wonder if that screen shows the CMs the reservation date and then they can make up the excuse appropriately.

Reservation date three months prior: Requests are granted based on reservation date

Reservation date eleven months out: Oh, didn't you know, we switched to room ready. [...]
Sadly, crisi, I was thinking the same thing.... :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter