Ireland 2024

waves hi from Dublin, while I havent been on this trip, I am from Ireland , so fee free to ask any general questions :)

We're going on the mid-June trip.

One thing I need recs for: men's shoes. I've tried three different waterproof Columbia shoes and they are too small/tight no matter what size I've tried. What other shoes would be good for the trip?

One thing I need recs for: men's shoes. I've tried three different waterproof Columbia shoes and they are too small/tight no matter what size I've tried. What other shoes would be good for the trip?

In Ireland Sketchers are popular. This is a mens shoe shop in Ireland, it will give you an idea of what Irish people wear. https://www.paulbyronshoes.com/c/mens/11

Full disclosure: I'm female so can't necessarily speak to MEN'S shoes, but if you're not looking for a closed toe shoe I've had great luck with Chaco's - waterproof and the straps are fully adjustable.

Go to Walmart or Target or Payless shoes

Nothing fancy Just smart casual

Who cares what shoes you wear

What style are you looking for, and how do the other ones you've tried fit?

For something waterproof, I use Merrell hiking boots, but I know there are better looking options out there for a city tour.

Go to Walmart or Target or Payless shoes

Nothing fancy Just smart casual

Who cares what shoes you wear

Well, the obvious answer is that the @Golf4food cares. Hence the question...

Many Americans who visit Ireland for the first time ask about shoes. Our weather in Ireland is often very different to what they are used to, as in their normal every day shoes are not waterproof. Also when Americans come to Ireland they walk a lot more than they usually do, and they are not used to uneven surfaces or things like fields and grassy areas which have stones, hills etc etc.

Many Americans who visit Ireland for the first time ask about shoes. Our weather in Ireland is often very different to what they are used to, as in their normal every day shoes are not waterproof. Also when Americans come to Ireland they walk a lot more than they usually do, and they are not used to uneven surfaces or things like fields and grassy areas which have stones, hills etc etc.
There's also a myth here in the USA that Europeans never wear anything resembling tennis shoes (sneakers, trainers) and that we have to wear work type dress shoes to not look like tourists. I keep telling folks they're in a large group, following behind a Guide with an orange paddle, they've given up on not looking like tourists already. Plus, wear what's comfortable. I always wear my comfortable sneakers or hiking boots (I have waterproof versions of both if necessary). I'm not doing all that walking and hiking in uncomfortable shoes that I'd never wear here.

Sayhello

For the OP, I have very wide feet. I LOVE my Keens hiking shoes. Sturdy for cobblestones, waterproof for rain, good grippy sole for slick surfaces. I've walked all over the globe in them. I have Keens hiking boots too, for true hiking trips and good ankle support.

Sketchers are usually pretty good. They usually have various widths as well.

Orthofeet are also excellent, more for people with foot problems I think, but still very comfortable.
I feel they are worth the cost.

BTW - As for runners or trainers lots of folks in Dublin wearing those with track pants tucked into their socks so ..... ;)

There's also a myth here in the USA that Europeans never wear anything resembling tennis shoes (sneakers, trainers) and that we have to wear work type dress shoes to not look like tourists. I keep telling folks they're in a large group, following behind a Guide with an orange paddle, they've given up on not looking like tourists already. Plus, wear what's comfortable. I always wear my comfortable sneakers or hiking boots (I have waterproof versions of both if necessary). I'm not doing all that walking and hiking in uncomfortable shoes that I'd never wear here.

Sayhello
Yep, had this same conversation with my Mom over and over again last year... her friend that travels kept telling her she had to hide her American-ness. I told her no matter how well her friend dressed the gig was up the moment she opened her mouth anyway. Even then... we can be seen a mile away. I can pick out tourists in my own city just by how wide eyed and interested in everything they are... I don't get why folks need to hide. Unless you're worried about being a target or pickpocketed, but that is a different skill set entirely and you need to know that regardless of whether or not you're a tourist.

Just wear something comfortable! My husband wears Northface https://www.amazon.com/North-Face-Ultra-Waterproof-Hiking/dp/B08MV942QP usually but our last trip wanted something over the ankle.... he usually doesn't like Columbia shoes either but did well with these ones: https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-newton-ridge-waterproof-omni-heat-ii-boot-2056191.html he just didnt like how bright the laces were. But he wore them exclusively for 10 days and a decent amount of walking with no complaints.

For those who have gone on this adventure before, did you do laundry at one of the hotels partway through? If so, which one?

For those who have gone on this adventure before, did you do laundry at one of the hotels partway through? If so, which one?

Ive seen this talked about on other travel places, about Americans coming to Ireland. In Ireland, unless you go to Airbnb places, generally hotels do not have laundry facilities and laundromat's are not as common in Ireland like in America.

In Ireland, its standard for houses, flats , apartments to have a washing machine. Even studio flats will have a washing machine, so there isnt as big a demand for laundry places.

There are some self service laundry places but they are not really in the tourist places.

I had no idea we got so lucky... we easily found one when we were in Dublin staying at The Croke Park Hotel. It was about a 10 minute walk.

Yeah - I think for the most part the property is of too much value to have a laundry in city center - although its possible some of the dry cleaners also do laundry by the weight.

There was one in Drumcondra near DCU for the college students that was next to a pub - but that was before it became DCU (NIHE) so not sure its there anymore - although it might even be the one @AquaDame mentioned

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter