• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Irritating things that happen in your house?

leebee

DIS Veteran
Disclaimer: I just cleaned the kitchen and am in a crabby mood...

What do people do (or not do) around your home that you find annoying or irritating? I'll start:

Cramming the trash barrel so full that the lid won't close.
I am not asking them to make a special trip to take the bag outside, but PLEASE change the bag and put in a new one instead of continuing to fill the bag so full that it is overflowing!

Stacking dirty dishes next to the sink. Thanks for taking them over to the sink, but would you please scrape the food off of them, throw away the napkin, and rinse the plate before stacking them, one on top of the other!

I have a list (I told you I'm crabby right now) but I'll stop here.

Currently, I’m a mix of crabby and over anxious. I could use the venting!

Partially unloading the dishwasher- At least once a week, I find the dishwasher 30-50% unloaded. There will be a stack of dirty dishes on the counter and just enough taken out of the dishwasher to be confusing at first glance. Like someone sees the empty spots, assumes it’s dirty and starts loading dirty into the clean. Ehhh…most just leave the dirty in a pile and don’t bother to check or ask. Still, if you’re going to start unloading…finish unloading!

Bathroom trash piled and balanced against the wall- instead of emptying the trash, it becomes a balancing act. The stack of trash can overflow a foot or two above the can…balanced against the wall, toilet and sink cabinet.

My husband will also fill the trash to overflowing and not think to change the bag.

The dog will tear a toy apart and no one thinks to pick up the pieces. They get walked over for days until I pick them up.

Something will be spilled on the counter and will not wipe it up.

I could go on...

I have sections in the refrigerator - butter & eggs & other dairy items on this shelf, drinks here, various jars there, leftovers here, vegetables in this drawer, meat & cheeses in this drawer, etc.

And NO ONE puts anything where it goes, & my dear husband is one of the worst offenders.

And NO ONE ever throws away any old food - like I’m the only one that can see the expiration date on the milk or the random leftover that was never eaten.

I'm good enough to put the plates by or in the the sink and my wife complains that I'm stacking them wrong and its not Jenga.

I put the trash in the bin and she complain I over fill it.

The cats get sick and I'm expected to clean it up - I don't even want the cats

She complain about where I put things in the fridge - well that where it fit so that's where I put it - at least I put it away so it would not go off.

In my family of 7, I am the only one who:

Empties garbage cans
Puts dishes in the dishwasher
Empties the dishwasher
Feeds the dog
Wipes table and countertops
Puts away groceries
Puts everyone’s shoes in the shoe bin (but they do put them next to it)

Now, as a SAHM, I’m ok with bring the only one who vacuums, mops, dusts, and cleans bathrooms. Last year I stopped doing everyone’s laundry but my husbands. My daughter came home from college (junior) and commented “mom, why are you the only one who puts dishes in the dishwasher?” And yes, I’ve complained. Every other week I will let the garbage pile up like a game of jenga, but eventually I just have to take it out. Oh, and I keep toilet paper in the bathrooms, make sure there is always toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, body wash.

Oh, and I keep toilet paper in the bathrooms, make sure there is always toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, body wash.
Isn't it amazing how those helpful little elves keep everything replaced - like no one (ELSE) in the household even has to think about it: one thing finishes, and BAM, a new tube, bottle, roll or package is already magically there. :rolleyes:

Every once in a while I purposely let things run out, just to hear the surprised cry: "HEY??? Where's the shampoo, toothpaste, toilet paper???" 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ I guess those darn elves must be sleeping on the job again :rotfl:

Last edited:
We have a magnet that gets put on the front of the dishwasher when the load is clean so everyone knows it can be emptied. It's a *MAGIC* magnet. I don't know why I can't experience this magic myself, but for everyone else in the house the magnet *disappears* when the dishwasher is ready to be emptied. I'm usually the one who places the magnet when the dishwasher hits the drying cycle, and I can see it, but *POOF!* it's gone for everyone else.

I'd actually rather the dirty dishes be next to the sink than in it!

And I have them mostly trained to write something on the grocery list if they use the last of it.

Like others said, though, mine is toilet paper. I have no idea what they'd do if I didn't replace the roll. :laughing: - But I love them!!

I don't get why people don't replace the TP roll. You can do it while already sitting there, thus it takes no time & not like you've got to go out of your way even a little... My roommate & I are not big cleaners but we both manage to do the TP every time without fail. It's just so easy.

I am blessed because my mother-in-law (RIP) trained my husband very well. He is very tidy and picks up after himself, empties the garbage, and does anything else I ask of him. The only time I get a bit irritated is when he gets in my way in the kitchen, but that is rare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter