Is anyone else disappointed?

Is is worth it? I mean really, is an ABD worth the money?

I had planned on taking my very first ABD in 2010 - Backstage Magic. I originally wanted April/May and the day they released 2010 itineraries, those dates are sold out? Granted, they were sold out because of a DIS group or whatever. I don't care why I just know that they are sold out, which leaves a VERY bad taste in my mouth when I waited so very long for these itineraries to be released!

So now I have to move my trip to much later in the year. Given the fact that I would now have to travel at a time I don't want to and prices have gone up, I'm totally re-thinking taking an ABD.

My question is - is it worth it? To a first timer, are the ABD worth the new inflated cost??? :confused3

Is is worth it? I mean really, is an ABD worth the money?
<snip>
My question is - is it worth it? To a first timer, are the ABD worth the new inflated cost??? :confused3

From someone who just got back from China, and already booked Italy for next July... I guess it depends. I know we could have gone with just about anybody, but after weighing costs and the experience we know we had in China, we figured it was.
:confused3
ff2009

I am also new to ABD and trying to figure out why should I pay $2,000 more for a trip to Italy on ABD compared to another tour group. The itineraries are the same. The hotels on ABD appear to be nicer, but for as much as I'll be in the room, I don't think a nicer hotel is worth $2,000. All I hear is that ABD has a magical touch. What does that mean? What does ABD do on their trips that make them worthwhile. Is it the experience with the kids? If so, that doesn't matter to me since we don't have children. I'm just curious. I'd love to be able to justify spending the extra money, but at this point I can't.

All I hear is that ABD has a magical touch. What does that mean?

I get what that means. It's the difference between Disney Cruise Line and Royal Caribbean. But if the difference in cost between the 2 cruise lines was $2,000, I'd be sailing Royal Caribbean!

I'm totally with you in that I'm trying to figure out how Disney justifies a $2,000 difference for that 'magic' when itineraries are identical.

The one I'm looking at is unique to Disney (Backstage Magic), so I'm ok with paying top dollar for it, because you can't get the same tour anywhere else. But I see that the prices have gone up and I can't get the dates I wanted due to group space that has been blocked.

I'm looking at what -- $5,000 for my DH and I for 5 nights. Um...that's $1000 a night!!! No one should pay $1,000 a night for anything unless beforehand he is onstage with his 4 brothers.

I'm trying to see if fellow DIS'ers feel it is worth that kinda money.

I did ABD Ireland this past June.
I felt is was worth it -I cannot compare it to another group tour -the only other group tour I have done was a cycling trip.

Things I felt made it worth the price:
1) guides that were friendly and knowledgeable- and good with my kids
2)Other kids for my kids to hang out with
3)No fighting in the front seat of a rental car over a map
4)Never waiting in line for admission
5)Having someone that "had my back" for example: need water?-guides have it- left my camera on the bus? -no worries -guides would take pictures
6)Not having to decide -if something was worth it -admissions were already paid for -so we didn't miss out on something because of the price
7)A few little surprises and occasional stop that was not on the itinerary- things like that.
8)The trip was organized and for lack of a better word "confident" there was no wishy washy ness from the guides or the bus driver. They never seemed insecure about what to do next, or what was "right". They spoke good English (there were no communication problems) and would entertain us on the bus.

I hope this helps

:thumbsup2Hello everyone!I'm new to this forum so I just wanted to say a quick hello and post my exprience with AbD.....
Well where to start? Ok let's just make an example.....Why should I go to Visit a Disney park when for half the money I can go to any SixFlags parks where there is more thrilling rides, kids rides or anything else Disney offer too??Because it's Disney!Because as soon as you enter in the Park you don't need to worry about anything....It's the same for AbD!!!!Immagine....Trafalgar they doing quite the same stuff but not in the same way Disney does.....Let's compare to the Italy trip....Trafalgar guests they are not taking the First Class Eurostar train to go to Venice but always travel on a Coach but let me tell you when you are travelling on a train with AbD you don't need to bring your luggage with you because they'll magically appear into your room in Venice....And for example do you know that everytime you get off the Bus with AbD the Adventure Guides gives you water??(Find another Tour Company who do this for you!!!), you will never waiting in line in any attraction you are visiting. You will have 2 wonderful Adventure Guides who will ALWAYS assist you in any situation anytime everywhere!Plus you will meet the local guides who are just there to give you the best of their knoledge just for you!!!!
You will always in good hands for the entire trip!!!Never Never Never worried about anything!!!
Plus there is the Disney touch that no other Tour Company will do for you to make your Vacation something unforgettable!!!!
2000 $ more??Well it's worth every single penny because you will never experience a tour like this unless you'll travel with Disney!!!!There's so much stuff that is not written on the website that you will experience on the trip.....It's true it's higher price compare to others but think about it.....What about spending less and be unhappy?With AbD this will never happen...
So you can always choose something different but you can also expecting something different...That's why it's not called a Tour but an Adventure of a lifetime!!!
Hope this help.....
xx

Sorry, this post ended up being a mish-mash of pros & cons as I did a little research. I'm still going to post it, as I think the info is relevant.

Honestly, I think the biggest magic for ABD is the Guides. They are just fantastic. That, coupled with great itineraries and some unique activities makes it "magic".

There is also the fact that ABD appears to be one of the few operators that has *two* Guides per trip. Having that extra Guide is a big plus. When we hiked to Delicate Arch, one Guide led the way, the other was able to lag back with the people who moved slower. I haven't read much yet about the guides for the other operators, but ABD's are really well trained and personable. And, quite honestly, I think the interaction between the two makes it more of a "guiding and sharing" than a "leading", if that makes sense. Austin-Lehman is the only other tour operator being discussed here that I've seen so far that has more than one Guide per tour (1 guide for every 6 people!).

ABD also guarantees no more than 40 people per tour, Trafalgar is 49. Tauck only says their tours "average 35 to 44 guests". Thomson, though, has no more than 25. And Austin-Lehman limits family trips to 18. And Adults-Only to 12. So there goes that.

On the other hand, most other operators appear to have a much more reasonable cancelation policy, and also will guarantee (most of the time) that a trip will go, no matter how many people sign up for it. That for me is ABD's biggest downfall...

ABD is magical. Is it magical *enough* for the price? That's really up to the individual. Some of these other operators may be magical too, just in a different way...

Sorry, nothing conclusive here. Just a bunch of rambling!

That said, I *am* most likely signing up for a third ABD for 2010, but it's one of those "TA" departures.

Sayhello

Hey, Magicalandfun. Thanks for your input! Which ABD did you take?

Sayhello

Honestly, I think the biggest magic for ABD is the Guides. They are just fantastic. That, coupled with great itineraries and some unique activities makes it "magic".

There is also the fact that ABD appears to be one of the few operators that has *two* Guides per trip.
Sayhello

I agree that the guides are great. I have nothing but positive things to say about my guide. But notice, I use the singular. There were 12 on my trip, therefore, ABD only sent us with one guide. I just wanted to put it out there that this is a possibility. Everything was fine with one guide, but it lost a little of the "magic" when our guide got sick. He soldiered on, but obviously was not able to maintain the same enthusiasm that he had while healthy.

That being said, I might still consider ABD for a London/Paris if it weren't for the fact that they are not offering any Adults Only during the fall, which is when I like to travel.

I am still sort of afraid of booking with another company. I just don't feel the confidence with other brands that I felt with Disney. That is what allowed me to plop down the big dough with them the first time. <Sigh>

I agree that the guides are great. I have nothing but positive things to say about my guide. But notice, I use the singular. There were 12 on my trip, therefore, ABD only sent us with one guide. I just wanted to put it out there that this is a possibility. Everything was fine with one guide, but it lost a little of the "magic" when our guide got sick. He soldiered on, but obviously was not able to maintain the same enthusiasm that he had while healthy.

That being said, I might still consider ABD for a London/Paris if it weren't for the fact that they are not offering any Adults Only during the fall, which is when I like to travel.

I am still sort of afraid of booking with another company. I just don't feel the confidence with other brands that I felt with Disney. That is what allowed me to plop down the big dough with them the first time. <Sigh>
I didn't know that! I had not heard of them only sending one Guide with a smaller group. Yours is the first case I've heard of that. That's very strange to me, since the website states 2 per trip, and doesn't say "unless there aren't enough people". I can see how that would be an issue. Especially since your guide got ill.

I guess we lucked out that my SWS trip had 14 people. We got 2 guides.

Sayhello

I didn't know that! I had not heard of them only sending one Guide with a smaller group. Yours is the first case I've heard of that. That's very strange to me, since the website states 2 per trip, and doesn't say "unless there aren't enough people". I can see how that would be an issue. Especially since your guide got ill.

I guess we lucked out that my SWS trip had 14 people. We got 2 guides.

Sayhello

Really, the guide was still great, but I am sure he would have liked having someone else there to shoulder some of the work, because he obviously needed to rest and recuperate. It didn't affect us too much, although when you pay that kind of money, you don't want to be worried about inconveniencing your guide because he is sick. (Also, you might be a little afraid to get too close. One of our tour group did end up also falling ill on the last day.)

All very good information. If I didn't find a tour that had a similar itinerary that the ABD tour does for Italy, I probably wouldn't even consider using a different tour company. For example, I still want to do the Alpine Magic tour with ABD, but my DW wants to do Italy first. The activities on the Alpine Magic trip are so unique that it would be worth the extra money for that trip. I still need to do some more research and find more reviews on the Trafalgar trip before I can decide if it is worth saving $2,000. YIKES...decisions, decisions, decisions. I keep thinking if I save $2,000 on the Italy trip, then I can possibly do the Alpine Magic trip next year with ABD.

If you are a confident traveler and book hotels yourself, you can very easily do a trip such as ABD's Italy by hiring a private guide in each city who will also provide airport-hotel-train transfers. We have used private guides in many European cities and have had FANTASTIC experiences. Our days are structured around what WE want to see and do but with lots of flexibility and spontaneity. It is like spending time with a local friend in each city--one who knows the history, the culture, the best places to eat, the local places to shop, how to avoid lines at museums by getting tickets ahead of time, how to buzz around the traffic jams, fun things for kids to do, even where to get the best gelato. Group tours can be wonderful but for a really magical experience, try a family adventure with the help of private guides to fell like a local.

I'm going to vent a little in this post in the hopes that someone from ABD is still monitoring the board. Disclaimer first. I love ABD trips. The guides are fantastic. The people who plan the itineraries do a great job. I have taken ABD trips in 2008 and 2009 and planned to take more trips in 2010, 2011, etc. Since ABD's price increase this year, I've been registering at other travel company's websites and requesting brochures. Some of the other companies have sent personal emails asking how they can help with my vacation planning. I have sent emails to some with questions and have gotten responses within 15 minutes. They aren't small companies with a handful of itineraries. I'm talking about ABD competitors like Tauck, Austin Lehman, Thomson, etc. On the other hand, there's ABD. First, I didn't get the email with the loyalty discount. So if I weren't on this board, I wouldn't know about it. I sent an email a week ago expressing my concern over the discontinued EBD, and got an automated reply saying I would get a response within a week. Well, it's been a week. Where is the response? I have spent a lot of my hard-earned money on ABD vacations. They cancelled my 2009 trip and I booked a different trip instead, when I could have just asked for a refund and taken my business elsewhere. So why aren't they treating me like a valued customer? I would love to see them offer us something more substantial than a $100 discount, but they could at least acknowledge that they appreciate the business I've given them in the past. I want ABD to give me a reason to travel with them again. It's not the price that is bothering me now, it's the lack of service. It's too bad ABD management isn't as dedicated to creating a magical experience as their guides are.

If you are a confident traveler and book hotels yourself, you can very easily do a trip such as ABD's Italy by hiring a private guide in each city who will also provide airport-hotel-train transfers. We have used private guides in many European cities and have had FANTASTIC experiences. Our days are structured around what WE want to see and do but with lots of flexibility and spontaneity. It is like spending time with a local friend in each city--one who knows the history, the culture, the best places to eat, the local places to shop, how to avoid lines at museums by getting tickets ahead of time, how to buzz around the traffic jams, fun things for kids to do, even where to get the best gelato. Group tours can be wonderful but for a really magical experience, try a family adventure with the help of private guides to fell like a local.
But how do you know how & where to book these private guides? How do you know they are any good or reliable? How do you get from one town to the next? Isn't it a lot of work to keep track of who's doing what in each place, and assuring that everyone is where they are supposed to be at the right times? Who shleps your luggage? This is all a big part of what ABD does for you. Yes, I *could* do this, but I don't necessarily want to, especially in a foreign country. I like having someone else do it for me.

Sayhello

I'm going to vent a little in this post in the hopes that someone from ABD is still monitoring the board. Disclaimer first. I love ABD trips. The guides are fantastic. The people who plan the itineraries do a great job. I have taken ABD trips in 2008 and 2009 and planned to take more trips in 2010, 2011, etc. Since ABD's price increase this year, I've been registering at other travel company's websites and requesting brochures. Some of the other companies have sent personal emails asking how they can help with my vacation planning. I have sent emails to some with questions and have gotten responses within 15 minutes. They aren't small companies with a handful of itineraries. I'm talking about ABD competitors like Tauck, Austin Lehman, Thomson, etc. On the other hand, there's ABD. First, I didn't get the email with the loyalty discount. So if I weren't on this board, I wouldn't know about it. I sent an email a week ago expressing my concern over the discontinued EBD, and got an automated reply saying I would get a response within a week. Well, it's been a week. Where is the response? I have spent a lot of my hard-earned money on ABD vacations. They cancelled my 2009 trip and I booked a different trip instead, when I could have just asked for a refund and taken my business elsewhere. So why aren't they treating me like a valued customer? I would love to see them offer us something more substantial than a $100 discount, but they could at least acknowledge that they appreciate the business I've given them in the past. I want ABD to give me a reason to travel with them again. It's not the price that is bothering me now, it's the lack of service. It's too bad ABD management isn't as dedicated to creating a magical experience as their guides are.
I hear you, Bobo912, and I totally agree with you. Let's hope someone in ABD hears you, too.

Sayhello

I agree with you. I would also suggest that all valued ABD customers write or email Karl Holz with your concerns and comments. He is the Disney executive over ABD and DCL. He needs to understand our concerns and comments about this direction he is taking with ABD product.

But how do you know how & where to book these private guides? How do you know they are any good or reliable? How do you get from one town to the next? Isn't it a lot of work to keep track of who's doing what in each place, and assuring that everyone is where they are supposed to be at the right times? Who shleps your luggage? This is all a big part of what ABD does for you. Yes, I *could* do this, but I don't necessarily want to, especially in a foreign country. I like having someone else do it for me.

Sayhello

None of this is difficult, trust me.

--With so much information and so many personal reviews/opinions on the internet, companies that provide reliable and experienced private guides (especially in Europe) are easy to find. We have booked through private guide companies in Spain, France, Italy and Greece and have NEVER been disappointed. Just the opposite, they have been wonderful, insightful locals that we never would have met otherwise.

--Europe has a great train system; so much better than tour companies' coaches (many high end tour companies use trains between cities in Europe). If you also book transfers with your private guide company, once you get to the lobby, they will "schlep" your bags and a local guide in the next city will meet you at the train station to "schlep" again. Then back to the airport when you're heading home.

--Because you plan your day with your private guide, your family decides where they want to go and how long they want to stay. Or you can book a guide for just part of a day. Or for two out of three days. Or start out at 8:00 am or noon...The point is, you and your family have someone's undivided attention to make your trip the most memorable. You're not waiting for a group (12-40 people) to board a bus, go to the restroom, finish lunch, buy souvenirs. The guide works for you and accommodates your interests and schedule. You are not following the group tour guide's schedule.

--We have done both. Above all, IMHO a family trip that uses private guides rather than a tour group, gives kids a confidence and comfort that the world is not a scary place to be herded around. This method allows your family to explore and experience the world's wonders in a way that only someone who lives in and loves each city/place can show you. It's also a great family bonding experience.

Isn't it great that there are so many different ways to see the world? :goodvibes Our family has traveled to about 30 different countries so far and we're looking forward to the next one...unfortunately, given the price increases and limited travel dates, we won't be using ABD in 2010.

I am just sick! About to embark on taking another grandchild on the ABD trips I have taken the others on and this is really a complete ignoring of their customer base. Don't these people ever study/cl/read info lrom previous travelers?????????????? Now I am going to have to start at the beginning with alternative tour companies because I am 70 yrs old and don't want to do this all myself. I want a tour company who takes care of my needs. Yes, I am willing to pay - but after 2 ABD trips and see the huge price increase with the lesser accommodations I find it so hard to accept. Man I am SAD! I wanted to do ABD if such a big way but $2000+ for basically the same thing is unacceptable. Where are these people coming from???

Plus I noticed that so many of the 'tours' are miniscule stuff with admissions less than ANY premium tour and most certainly less than I have paid in the past thru ABD excursions - I really wonder how far out of touch with reality they actually are. PLease say it ain't tru- I WANT to travel ABD but they have made it so difficult in so many ways - How do I reconcile it.?????

Friends who have taken ABD excursions this past year have indicated that they lhave reduced their gratuity to the guides. If this is true, the not only
do you have disgruntled guides, but also unhappy ABD clients.

I guess I don't see any winners here in this recent proposition. Late 'promotions' do nothing but dismay and dishearten me with the ABD pkg. What a disastrous means to welcome clients/guests!!!!!

In my case, I will be researching tours for my 8 yr old DGD that are other than ABD. NEVER though I would say this!!! It crushes me!! Needless to say, I WILL bring her a European experience before I die, but sadly ABD won't be the way.

Rest assured, it is not $5, $50, or $500, it is just the way things are done about it that disturbes me. I remember so many good things about ABD, that I don't want to dilute the experience with shabby cutbacks and inflated charges. So sorry.

Having done WDW 4 years in a row, I was ready for a change. Initially, I looked into doing DLR with my son, but decided that I didn't want to have to drive all over southern CA by myself. I love Disney and was very excited to run across this board a few months ago. After all of the glowing reviews found here, I was anxiously waiting to book a trip to Costa Rica in 2010. I still can't believe that the cost for this trip increased by $1019 (Jun departure) over last year for the two of us to travel. The max last year became the minimum this year. I was so incredibly excited, and was telling everyone about my plans to travel with ABD. Now, between the substantial increase in the tour price and no EBD, there is no way I will be going on this trip. It doesn't make good financial sense in this economy to spend that kind of money when there are good alternatives out there.

I have been researching Tauck Bridges and Wildland Adventures. Both have great itineraries at much lower prices. I'm so very sad to not be going with ABD, but I feel confident that I will have a great time with either of these other tour companies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter