• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is anyone going to miss the Universe of Energy?

We're headed to WDW on Friday, and I am sad that we missed a last chance to ride. My kids got multiple chances to see life-sized dinosaurs over the years, and it was often a highlight, especially when they were too small for the bigger rides. We haven't ridden as much recently, so I'm probably more sad for younger kids who will have to wait to be old enough to ride Dinosaur! in AK to get the same experience.

Incidentally, while the movie has gotten a little long in the tooth, it was really a breakthrough at the time. Now every queue has some interactive or entertainment element, but World of Energy was the first one that I remember that was an immersive experience immediately upon entering.

Not going to miss Ellen's Energy Adventure although I did like the original attraction and the ride mechanism, but another coaster, UGH! Not a fan of redundant coasters. I may be one who will visit more during construction than after because for the most part, I have absolutely no interest in coaster rides anyway. Very excited about Ratatouille and the Mickey Mouse Runaway Train. But rides like Tron and GOTG hold no interest for me at all. Besides, once all these attractions are in place it will virtually impossible getting through these parks. Now is the time to go for me. I may not go every year like I usually do or maybe just do very short 3-4 days trips as I usually do 10 days, even though I'm a DVC member. I may just rent out my points every other year and go somewhere else or put the money in the bank. I'm also very disillusioned about what Epcot's Future World may become. I would have loved Disney to go more along the lines of the world portrayed in the movie "Tomorrowland" than just putting movie based attractions there.

Last edited:

My favorite quote..........." For all the guests who just arrived, You're Late!"

I was going to see it again on my next trip, but alas I was too late.

I will surely miss EEA....we knew the "trick" of getting in the first car, so nothing was ahead of us except the dinosaurs....and WDW memories are so dear, so this was a ride that we did when our kids were little, and now they have families of their own....WDW memories are the BEST memories. Yes, it was old, outdated, long and maybe lame.....but I am old and lame, and I hope I am not discarded for something newer and more exciting !!!!!

I will miss this ride, primarily the exit where I elbow my husband and say (snarkily) "If solar power runs out, I think that will pretty much be the end of brain power!"

Come to think of it, he has said he won't miss that ride at all.

No, I won't miss it. Finally went to it last year during our sixth Disney trip. Glad I got to see it, but really didn't have a need to go back.

Dan

Well, I am not going to miss it but what I don't like is that the attraction will be replaced with an intense roller coaster....boo for my and my husband!!!! I wish WDW would stick with just family orientated attractions. We are the ones with the money!!! And we always choose WDW for their many attractions for older people. We never ever go to Six Flags, Universal, local amusements as we don;'t want to pay for the park admission and sit on the park benches!!!!

I'll miss it, not immensely, but still miss it. I like Ellen and The Science Guy, and the a/c felt good. Was also nice giving my feet a rest.

Curious about the outdated comments. What's outdated about dinosaurs and their being an energy source?
Did that part of history change? I mean, I know lots of Epcot is old but history is history. Can history be outdated?
There was more to ride than just dinosaurs.

Well, I am not going to miss it but what I don't like is that the attraction will be replaced with an intense roller coaster....boo for my and my husband!!!! I wish WDW would stick with just family orientated attractions. We are the ones with the money!!! And we always choose WDW for their many attractions for older people. We never ever go to Six Flags, Universal, local amusements as we don;'t want to pay for the park admission and sit on the park benches!!!!

My sentiments exactly! Disney is starting to go crazy with the coaster rides. Disney is losing Walt's vision. He would never waste his time on something as ordinary as a roller coaster. One and done and move on. It's lazy to keep doing them! What made Disney stand out were attractions that you couldn't find anywhere unless you were at lucky enough to attend one of those world's fairs back in the day. That's what Epcot was, but alas no longer. Epcot is not about roller coasters. Rides like Horizon, World of Motion, etc are looked at so fondly by Disney fans because of their uniqueness. No one is going to look at these roller coasters in that same way many years from now. Think about what they're adding to Toy Story Land. Yup, a coaster and tea cup ride. Not very imaginative and again, I can't ride tea cups and not a coaster fan. I MAY try it once but my husband will never get on it. Disney has certainly lost the message of Epcot. They are catering to the masses who really aren't Disney fans. Only a real Disney fan would understand that rides like these are not what Disney is about. Very happy to see the Ratatouille ride but not happy with coasters that many people can't even ride. They are rehashing the same thing over and over and are just becoming Universal and any other amusement park. I don't go to Disney for roller coasters. I could just go somewhere local for rides like that and I choose not to. I beginning to think some of the Disney decisions will turn some people away. Over the years, I've heard some people say how can you go to Disney all the time, it's just an amusement park. I used to tell them they were wrong, it's more than that, but what they were saying may be coming true.

Last edited:
I visited EPCOT during a work trip in February and rode Universe of Energy. I hadn't done it in many years and decided I should ride it one last time. I enjoyed it and I'm glad I got to experience it again, but it's not something I usually take the time to do, so I can't say that I'll miss it much.

I loved the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie, and I like those characters, and Rock n Roller Coaster is my favorite coaster ride, so I'm personally looking forward to the new attraction. I'm okay with putting this into Future World as long as they keep the classic Tiki Room/Haunted Mansion/Pirates/Jungle Cruise in the MK.

Well, I am not going to miss it but what I don't like is that the attraction will be replaced with an intense roller coaster....boo for my and my husband!!!!

My wife and I have issues with our backs (thanks to getting older) and we've been told not to ride on roller coasters. So, its one less ride that we can go on.

I was there last week and it was sad to see how quiet and empty the area was. The façade is still up so at least I got a picture of it. It would have been nice to take a break from the oppressive heat in that attraction!

Not only will I not miss this ride and it will be nice to see this space used ( and hopefully used well). I 4 trips I only did the ride once and it was enough.

Even though I'm not a huge fan of the updated UOE, I'm completely disappointed in the idea of another coaster in Epcot. I guess it's just a wake up call but the real angst and fury will begin when Disney makes SSE a coaster ride.>:(

I won't miss it. We rode it once and it left no impression.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter