• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is camping at Disney a vacation?

disneyorbust

Earning My Ears
We just bought a pop up and are toying with the idea of going to Fort Wilderness. First of all we would have to drive from Massachusetts. Second, when I go to Disney, I like the ammenities of the Disney hotels. I don't know how I would feel about going to the Comfort Station in the morning to take a shower as opposed to jumping out of bed and into the shower in the room. It seems like a lot of work to do on vacation. On the other hand, I could stay longer and make it a Disney/camping vacation.... Any feedback?

No way is camping at Disney a vacation---it is HEAVEN!

Vacation means lots of people, little space. Fussing over the bathroom and tv. Too many fast food meals. Nowhere to sit but the bed. Trying to keep kids quiet at night.

FW is lots of people, lots of space. Showers for everyone. Long bike rides and golf cart rides. Home cooked meals and snacks and drinks in the fridge. A home setting. Three tv's. Sunsets on the beach.

The comfort stations are pleasant. Just get your supplies ready and no problems. We just love taking home with us--no worries about cleanliness of the room. Hey, it's dirty, but it's our dirt! If the kids get underfoot chase them out to play. Bored? Grab a bike and ride an hour or so. Head up to the Wilderness Lodge, grab a drink, watch the geyser and head back.

We've tried it other ways, but FW means peace. We get homesick when we leave FW!

86 days to go

Absolutely give it a try. Our DS's now 12 and 17 won't go to Disney unless we stay in the campground. I think that in itself says a lot about FW. The comfort station isnt' that far from your campsite and from what I have heard they are updating them. It is a much more relaxing vacation if you take the time to enjoy the campground itself. Not to mention the money you will save. We never go for less than two weeks. If we stayed at resort, it would only be a week.

Two weeks ago I saw several of the comfort stations that had been remodeled, New counters, commodes, flooring, fixtures etc. They are a big improvement. The meadows trading post was being remodeled also and was closed till early March. It looks as thought most areas are getting some remodeling, They are doing it in stages and it doesnt appear to be very disruptive.

Camping at FW is so much better than staying at a hotel! We drive from Massachusetts every year with our popup and wouldn't do it any other way. Just think, after a long day at the park when the kids still have a ton of energy, you can sit and relax and they can go off on their bikes and have some more fun.

The drive down isn't bad. You can PM me if you want more information on the drive down.

You really should consider it!

I just bought a 32 foot tow trailer yesterday and I also live in Massachusettes. Anyone ever towed one of these all the way down that would still do it again? :D

I'm so used to deluxe hotels at Disney.....I just know....but I'm listening
:D

As many on this site will tell you FW is unlike any campground you have stayed at. Many guest come to FW and never set foot in a theme park. The atmosphere is relaxing, family friendly and the CMs are wonderful. There are a million activiites including the horseback riding, petting farm, Hoop de doo, relaxing walks, biking and swimming. We love the boat to MK, leaving before the fireworks and watching them on the boat on the way back. For the kids the Chip & Dale campfire and movie is a big must do and is free. Try it once, I think you will find it a relaxing and wonderful resort.

FW is the best place to come "home" to at the end of a long day at the parks! It's so relaxing, you will feel the stress leave you as soon as you walk from the bus stop to your campsite!

We tow our popup down from Minnesota!

We've stayed at the All Stars, and the last few times at the Dolphin for quick weekend trips. But for the long stays, I wouldn't want to be anywhere but FW!

i do believe I will have to try this at least once in my future. This summer is out after just purchasing the trailer and not enough vacation time left but definitely next summer or the summer after, I am going to do it, when I can plan on taking my time driving and and having about 2 weeks there.

How many pools does FW have and is it enough?

We are in Maine and just purchased a 5th wheel, like you we can't go this year, but are in the first stages of planning a trip next March....have always wanted to try this and with everything I am reading it sounds like, who said it, HEAVEN!!! To be able to just put the clothes in the closet, the food in the fridge and the bikes in the back...wow, that is what I call a perfect vacation!! One question, does anyone know if they will let me use my own kayak down there? This forum is a dream come true...looking forward to learning alot from you folks!!:D :D :D Nancy

Mickeyfaniam: FW has two pools--the larger one is at the Meadow's area and a smaller pool for the cabin loops. I wish the pools were more nicely themed (maybe a slide) but there is plenty of room for all!

Manemagic (mainemagic): sorry, you can only use Disney boats.

83 days to go

Sorry Manemagic, but private watercraft of any kind is not permitted on the waterways of WDW.

Mickeyfaniam -

We have a 31 footer and tow it from Illinois almost every year, and will be doing it again next summer.

We love camping at Fort Wilderness. The few times we have stayed in a hotel, which was nice, just isn't the same.

Robin

I have to give a somewhat conflicting opinion. It's not anything like staying in a resort, if you're used to that. We love to camp, but camping at Disney just didn't work for us. I loved the campground, absolutely beautiful, but we were way too busy to enjoy it I'd like to take the camper down and just stay at the campground, no parks. We camp at the beach quite often and love that! I'm not saying not to give it a try, but be prepared for the difference like having to wait for a shower, etc. We brought food to prepare supper, but ended up going to our favorite Disney restaurants instead! I was too tired to make supper, plus I missed the restaurants! I love the convenience of the transportation at the resorts which is better than FW unless they've changed it. We stayed at POFQ in Oct with my sis (who went camping with us) and we all enjoyed it much more. The drive down was soooo long from Indiana, too, with the camper.

Everyone has their own opinions, likes and dislikes. If we all liked the same things, it'd be a really boring and crowded place that we all would stay Actually, we're hoping to stay at WL next time to get a mix of both!

I just thought you'd like to hear another side of the camping at FW.

Our family (DH, DS & myself) loved FW -- we are planning another trip for 2 weeks in 2004 -- we would love to go this year but already planned a vacation with family.

I have to say we stayed busy with the parks, but it was GREAT to be able to come home to our trailer. I say home because we have everything from home that we need.

FW was so nice -- we had planned to spend all our time in the parks but we changed plans and took a day just for FW. It was well worth it, gave us a break and let us re-charge before hitting the parks again.

Another plus to the campground was that it did save us money -- we did a 2 week trip instead of 1 week. My son is still talking about things from our trip (and he is a toooooo cool pre-teen), and is ready to take his best friend with us the next time.

:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter