• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Carousel of Progress a thing of the past?

Would you like to see an update to Carousel of Progress?

• No - leave it as is! It's a classic.

• Yes Please!!

• Yes - but not the one you suggested, ya crazy lady!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I would update - but not as you suggested.

Go every 40 years. 1900, 1940, 1980, and 2020. The middle two scenes can be somehow blended to create 1940. The existing final scene can be dialed back to 1980 with the debut of home video games, an Apple home computer, etc.. Then create a modern scene with maybe a Tesla home battery, a phone controlling much of the house, Alexa or something similar, etc.

Given the way Siri responds half the time, they can still keep the oven scene.

The Carousel of Progress is my absolute favorite ride, it truly is the essence of Disney and is one of the most nostalgic rides. That said, I agree with the others, that last scene is the only thing that needs updating. That dining set makes me laugh every time I see it, it's probably the most dated piece in the whole set.
I think the old tube tv broke not too long ago so they replaced it with a more modern flat screen. It's still siting in front of the 2 floor model speakers that are straight out of the 80's, but hey - it's progress! LOL

COP is one of my favs as well.. but i agree with you an update would be nice.. I would prefer keeping the first scene and maybe combing the 2 in the middle into 1 leaving room for the new turn of the century scene.

COP is one of my favs as well.. but i agree with you an update would be nice.. I would prefer keeping the first scene and maybe combing the 2 in the middle into 1 leaving room for the new turn of the century scene.
That would be really cool! If it went from Turn of the century to turn of the century. I like that idea way better that mine!!!!!

I love CoP as well, and even the dated final scene has grown on me. Actually, the only thing dated about it is the style of the clothes and furniture. The voice activated home automation and virtual reality gaming are very current. That said, I've always felt it was incongruous to jump from 1900 - 1920 - 1940 - Tomorrow (today). I think the best thing to do might be to keep the first scene, jump to 1940, jump to 1980ish, then to the last scene (but updated). Otherwise, maybe if they could figure out how to add a scene, but I don't see how that would be possible. Maybe if they made Load/Unload the same room? I don't know that they'd have time for that.

Honestly, part of me thinks they should just put back the 1960's scene and leave the whole thing as a time capsule. One thing I am sure of though is that they should not get rid of it.

I don't want to change anything BUT I also want an update to the final scene! I have no idea how to manage that with also keeping the length of the attraction the same... LOL

I voted no, my understanding is that it is a look at the century so turn of the century to turn of the century. No updates needed!

Actually, the only thing dated about it is the style of the clothes and furniture

Grandma's clothes in that last scene... what were they thinking?

I voted no, my understanding is that it is a look at the century so turn of the century to turn of the century. No updates needed!

I also think it should encapsulate the 20th century and that's it.

I love CoP as well, and even the dated final scene has grown on me. Actually, the only thing dated about it is the style of the clothes and furniture. The voice activated home automation and virtual reality gaming are very current. That said, I've always felt it was incongruous to jump from 1900 - 1920 - 1940 - Tomorrow (today). I think the best thing to do might be to keep the first scene, jump to 1940, jump to 1980ish, then to the last scene (but updated). Otherwise, maybe if they could figure out how to add a scene, but I don't see how that would be possible. Maybe if they made Load/Unload the same room? I don't know that they'd have time for that.

Honestly, part of me thinks they should just put back the 1960's scene and leave the whole thing as a time capsule. One thing I am sure of though is that they should not get rid of it.

Oh I actually love the idea of putting back in the 1960s final scene! Then maybe add a little room outside of the main exhibit for "future" technology. Or even just change the wording as you leave that now you've seen the past, and it's time to head out into tomorrowland.
But whatever they do, that least scene has to go. A dated view of the future always looks sad.

Oh I actually love the idea of putting back in the 1960s final scene! Then maybe add a little room outside of the main exhibit for "future" technology. Or even just change the wording as you leave that now you've seen the past, and it's time to head out into tomorrowland.
But whatever they do, that least scene has to go. A dated view of the future always looks sad.

Honestly, all they need to do to the final scene is update the clothes and the furniture style. Otherwise, it works. Maybe they could pick up a sponsorship. "Alexa, set oven to 350 degrees." That's the kind of stuff that we are just doing now. If they just redo the look of the room and replace the TV, speakers, video game graphics, and the laptop/office stuff on the Mom's desk, it would work pretty well.

Here's a question...

What is the last scene supposed to represent? Is it supposed to represent the future? Or is it supposed to represent current time? If the latter, they're fine.

One thing they can do if they want to add a scene is find a way to combine the load/unload sections. Instead of having individual sections, just have one and that leaves you room for an additional scene. BUT that would throw off the "seasons".

Here's a question...

What is the last scene supposed to represent? Is it supposed to represent the future? Or is it supposed to represent current time? If the latter, they're fine.

One thing they can do if they want to add a scene is find a way to combine the load/unload sections. Instead of having individual sections, just have one and that leaves you room for an additional scene. BUT that would throw off the "seasons".

It was supposed to represent the future, but the present has caught up to it. The original scene was the "very near" future as brought to you by the fine people at GE, so I still think it's okay. Only the styles are outdated.

Love this ride. My son picked It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow as the Mother/Son dance at his wedding. Perfect as we watched it many times together since he was little.

Love this ride. My son picked It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow as the Mother/Son dance at his wedding. Perfect as we watched it many times together since he was little.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY wish I had thought of that!!!!!! I did; however, manage to sneak a lot of other Disney songs in... But OMG that is such a perfect song for a parent dance!!!!

In defence of the final scene, they DO have a voice activated cooker, not too unlike an Apple Airpod or Echo.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY wish I had thought of that!!!!!! I did; however, manage to sneak a lot of other Disney songs in... But OMG that is such a perfect song for a parent dance!!!!
He thought of it by himself that it made it even more special.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter