Is Coronavirus affecting your travel plans?

We did DC last April, and loved it! We picked the hotel chain where DH had points from work, so I'm no help there, but for stuff to do, I definitely recommend the National Zoo and the Monuments by Night tour!

I think we are going to go for it. It would cost less than $100 out of pocket for the flights. So much to do that is free and I can get a good rate on a hotel with AAA. I haven't been there in YEARS and have been wanting to go back. It will be Memorial Day, so I am sure it will be busy.

Well nobody here is going to Milan or Venice until April 3. (I can also say if anybody here did decide to travel there they won’t be leaving that area until April 3 at the earliest. Really hope nobody did that...)

Link from Bloomberg

I wish the number were compiled a bit differently. Those who have contracted it from travel or a family member....also age and condition of those who have died. It might give a better snapshot of what is happening with the spread.

This site is really good. It provides age, sex, preexisting condition fatality data (it is global though and not US specific), but they have been very reputable and timely with their updates.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Well we now have our first confirmed case in Kansas. Woman 50 year old (so not high risk unless there's an underlying health issue) although another article says she's just under 50, it isn't confirmed that she got it while traveling but another news article says "appears to have" as she was one of the people that the majority were under watch having just traveled abroad but I don't believe they've confirmed that. They did say she was tested earlier this week--it was just announced today.

It IS in my county though.....so it's here now. She's in home isolation.

We're still considered low risk at this point for the state.

Warning - a big whine ahead. Anyone want to help me feel better?

Really starting to struggle with our trip to Hawaii later this week. Now they are starting to say over 60 just stay home. I'm 58 with asthma that is currently under control. I was feeling confident about continuing our plans until tonight. I honestly feel sick now. I think the stress is giving me heartburn. We were taking this trip as a break from stress! The number 60 being considered elderly enough to be at risk shocked me.

ARGH. This is so hard. At this point nothing of our hotel and flights are not refundable even with having purchased travel insurance, though I might be able to get a dr to say no travel due to my asthma. (the airlines are encouraging people to continue to book travel by offering flexibility to new bookings, but that doesn't change those of us who have already purchased tickets.)

Really starting to struggle with our trip to Hawaii later this week. Now they are starting to say over 60 just stay home. I'm 58 with asthma that is currently under control. I was feeling confident about continuing our plans until tonight. I honestly feel sick now. I think the stress is giving me heartburn. We were taking this trip as a break from stress! The number 60 being considered elderly enough to be at risk shocked me.

ARGH. This is so hard. At this point nothing of our hotel and flights are not refundable even with having purchased travel insurance, though I might be able to get a dr to say no travel due to my asthma. (the airlines are encouraging people to continue to book travel by offering flexibility to new bookings, but that doesn't change those of us who have already purchased tickets.)
Obviously I have no advise, just wanted to say I see your vent and I hope you’re able to find peace in whatever you decide.

Well I can only whine too as all this stress ( I work for an airline so work was hell this week) I also am ill physcially. Sudden muscular lower back pain. Could barely walk Friday. better now.. I didnt do anything physcial has to be the stress.
My mom is 60, but no ashma.. we are still planning our hawaiian cruise end of April..
Speak with your DR first.. but since your trip is so soon, for me is positive. Not so many cases in HI, for now. Plus in Hawaii one is outdoors more... flying to a conference in CA for me would be a bigger red flag.

It's just a number and it really depends per person if you should listen to it or not. Have you ever read topics here about what age you should let your kids do something on their own (like stay on their own in a state room on the cruiseline, or go on a ride by themselves, etc). It differs so per kid and also per parent what the right way is. And it's the same here. Not all 60-year olds are the same, it's a guideline. That your asthma is under control is a good thing. Maybe this article will help: https://www.asthma.org.uk/about/media/news/Coronavirus/

And with this virus everyone in the travel industry is more flexible, so if you are concerned call your airline etc and see what exceptions they are making. Also this can change per day what their policy is as the situation changes.

Relax, take a deep breath, and enjoy your trip.

Just read an interesting article concerning possible reasons that in China more men died than women..
in China over 60% of the men are smokers, women about 3%...

I would also like to know what the environmental impact a region has on death rates..

But anyways maybe this virus is that thing can gets many to finally quit smoking/vaping. Our health minister mentioned this too. The virus attacks the lungs in worse cases. Smokers from the start have a bad hand.

Well, they've finally stop travel at my organization unless it's critical. If you do travel, you have to come back and self-isolate for 14 days. We've also been instructed to bring our laptops home each night so we can be prepared to telework if they decided to close the building (we have 3000 people working in our building and it's all an open air kind of set up).

Flying from London Gatwick to Malaga tomorrow morning for a couple of weeks at our place there.
Will be interesting to see how busy the airport and the flight are compared to our last visit in January.

After a visit to Australia where our cruise was cut short, we returned home from Perth WA via Singapore two weeks ago. Here in Brighton we have not seen any physical response to the problem. Shops and restaurants are busy we and haven't seen anyone wearing a mask. The supermarkets are fully stocked as usual. Spain has a similar level of cases but being cautious sitting in the sunshine sounds better than being cautious in the cold and grey!

ford family

Flying from London Gatwick to Malaga tomorrow morning for a couple of weeks at our place there.
Will be interesting to see how busy the airport and the flight are compared to our last visit in January.

After a visit to Australia where our cruise was cut short, we returned home from Perth WA via Singapore two weeks ago. Here in Brighton we have not seen any physical response to the problem. Shops and restaurants are busy we and haven't seen anyone wearing a mask. The supermarkets are fully stocked as usual. Spain has a similar level of cases but being cautious sitting in the sunshine sounds better than being cautious in the cold and grey!

ford family
Safe warm travels!

Thanks for the advice, friends. I'm feeling more positive about the Hawaii trip again. Last night everything just sort of built up I guess. I've been able to shift things around with my siblings so I don't visit my parents for at least two weeks after I return. That has given me more peace about going. I've been worrying about my parents, so the 60 thing I read last night caught me off guard.

I completely understand and I wish you well. :flower3: We just cancelled a long-anticipated cruise around the British Isles. Not because we fear the virus but because neither we or our travel companions can risk getting caught up in quarantine. At least we weren't agonizing over it for long - the decision sort of made itself all of a sudden on Friday. The cruise line is offering 100% future credit but like you, we also have some sunk-costs that aren't refundable or covered by our insurance. The ironic thing about that is that I actually got the price of the insurance refunded instead of being able to make a claim.

We're in the process of trying to scramble together a last-minute consolation trip to Mexico for next week. That seems safe enough (for the moment). We haven't had a vacation for 2 years due to saving for "the big one". At this rate though, it's anybody's guess when the entire world will get locked down so we want to be out-and-back right away.

I am over 60 and was also surprised they used 60 as the beginning age for taking precautions. I figured it would be 65 or 70. Thankfully I don't have any health issues so I am planning on traveling as usual. I would ask my doctor if I did have any issues. I work for a cruise travel agency and you can imagine what we are going through right now. I am not an agent but in a support position. It is wait and see right now.

I am over 60 and was also surprised they used 60 as the beginning age for taking precautions. I figured it would be 65 or 70. Thankfully I don't have any health issues so I am planning on traveling as usual. I would ask my doctor if I did have any issues. I work for a cruise travel agency and you can imagine what we are going through right now. I am not an agent but in a support position. It is wait and see right now.
Well, a couple of folks in their 50's here in the US have died. We really lack information. When they say a deceased patient had underlying heath issues...what does that really mean?
Do they take a thyroid or cholesterol pill once a day?
Migraines? Arthritis?
Or is it something more like...
A heart attack and bypass surgery?
Cancer currently? Or in the last 10 years?

No answers, but some general details would probably help.

Last edited:
Well, a couple of folks in their 50's here in the US have died. We really lack information. When they say a deceased patient had underlying heath issues...what does that really mean?
Do they take a thyroid or cholesterol pill once a day?
Migraines? Arthritis?
Or is it something more like...
A heart attack and bypass surgery?
Cancer currently? Or in the last 10 years?

No answers, but some general details would probably help.
i agree. they say underlying conditions such as heart disease are a risk factor. According to The American Heart Association, 49% of US adults have heart disease. Almost 8% of US adults have asthma. There is such a wide spectrum. I read a story of a granddaughter concerned for her 84 year old grandmother running out of meds on the Grand Princess due to their issues. The grandmother has congestive heart failure, a mechanical heart valve, and vascular dementia. That seems to be a lot different than someone with asthma...

Just remember people of all ages die of the flu too, this is no different. The majority of people who will die will be the elderly and those immune compromised and unfortunately some young healthy adults, again, just like the flu.
When I called to get my prescription filled, they had a CDC warning for the flu on the pharmacy's recorded message as it's in epidemic proportions and to please get your flu shot if you haven't. Nothing at all about COVID-19. I'm not saying we shouldn't worry about COVID-19, but I think we should treat it like most of us treat the flu, wash your hands, stay away from sick people and if you're sick, stay home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter