Is Disney Springs safe from shootings?

AnimalKingdom94

Earning My Ears
Hi !

Going to WDW in september with my kids. I feel safe in the parks but we are never screened in Disney Springs. How can we be sure we are safe from gun violence in Disney Springs?

When you enter the Springs there is a cop standing there, sometimes with a dog. Not sure if they are private or regular police/sheriff.

I'm going to assume you aren't joking

They screen at springs now though there are holes in that..dog at the bus depot

Reminder, if it's a busy day at the screening line (garages, foot paths) that's where you are in the most danger

TSA also fails to detect weapons and bombs when tested at an alarmingly high rate so keep that in mind when you get the safe fuzzy feeling inside you, you can be killed a anywhere, the highest chance is probably having your reedy creek ambulance break down on route.

I'm going to assume you aren't joking

They screen at springs now though there are holes in that..dog at the bus depot

Reminder, if it's a busy day at the screening line (garages, foot paths) that's where you are in the most danger

TSA also fails to detect weapons and bombs when tested at an alarmingly high rate so keep that in mind when you get the safe fuzzy feeling inside you, you can be killed a anywhere, the highest chance is probably having your reedy creek ambulance break down on route.
Ok thank you. No indeed I am not joking. I am not from USA that is why my concern for gun violence may seem far fetched. I always stay on property so I don't remember ever being screened at DS. That is why I asked. :)

Ok thank you. No indeed I am not joking. I am not from USA that is why my concern for gun violence may seem far fetched. I always stay on property so I don't remember ever being screened at DS. That is why I asked. :)
Currently the bus depot gets the least amount of screening, I don't take the busses so I can't say for sure but I usually always see a dog which will likely be searching for explosives or larger amounts of weapons/ammunition (enough to smell at a distance) this is called a wake dog, they can detect anything depending on distance.

It is what it is, overall I would say you are safer at Disney even without screenings than any other similarly sized events, most of what keeps you safe is not visible and takes place before a subject makes an actual attempt. Crime is likely to be significantly lower than where most people visit from.

Enjoy your vacation!

I don't mean to scare you but unfortunately I don't know of anywhere that is 100% safe anymore. We try to be aware of our surroundings and know where quick exits are. It's a sad world today. I will say WDW seems to be trying to keep it safe but realistically with that many people it has to be hard.

NO WHERE IS TOTALLY SAFE.
The world is so different now, Who would have thought schools and churches would be targets.
I really can not keep up with each tragedy before another happens.
YOU have to protect yourself.

I have always seen a law enforcement presence at DS. Of course nothing is 100% safe but Disney does a pretty good job paying attention. Enjoy your trip!

There are some things you can do to stay safer when you travel to crowded areas, mainly just basic situational awareness. Always be aware of the nearest exit, available cover, think of what you'd do in an emergency, etc. I think in terms of the three options: run, hide, confront - in that order of preference. Exit the situation if it's safe to do so, hide if it's not, and confront the attacker if you have no other choice, preferably en masse. I'm 'wired' to be more cautious/paranoid, but I usually have these things in mind in vulnerable situations. If I had to flee, which way would I go? Where would I take shelter? What do I have around me that I could use to defend myself or stop the attack? I think of these things when I travel ANYwhere, not just within the US. Unfortunately, 'tourist spots' are an attractive target in any country, just because they are very high profile and have worldwide impact.

And yes, it's very sad that we have to think this way anymore. :( But also, while there are always high-profile casualty events in the US, I would still say it's far more likely you would be struck by lightning, for instance, than have that happen to you. Way more likely to be in a car accident GOING to Disney Springs. Not that that would be much consolation, I imagine being struck by lightning isn't much fun either.

Disney has plainclothes undercover security in the parks, and I imagine they do at Disney Springs as well. It would be very, very bad for business if there was an incident like that, so they SHOULD have a vested interest in doing everything they can to prevent them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter