• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Disney too expensive for us Brits?

I feel what will happen is more offers will appear which will make prices seem cheaper. The UK has been getting great deals for years and this year I think we aren't getting those type of offers which make the prices seem extra inflated. Yes they've gone up but also we aren't getting cheap flights etc which makes it seem a lot more compared to previous years. This is what I keep telling myself anyway.

After looking for a holiday in late 22 early 23 we have decided against going anywhere near WDW because the costs are much higher and there are just too many hurdles and extra costs to get over.

For us it will be Universal and I really can't see that changing. Far more reasonable prices and extras included.

After looking for a holiday in late 22 early 23 we have decided against going anywhere near WDW because the costs are much higher and there are just too many hurdles and extra costs to get over.

For us it will be Universal and I really can't see that changing. Far more reasonable prices and extras included.

sadly looks the same for us!

Having first visited in 1985, been a DVC owner since 2000 and been part of the Disboards since the first days I can honestly say that I've never seen so much negativity regarding price increases and perceived reduction in benefits.
We are going for the first time in 4 1/2 years in May and it will be really interesting to see how much has changed. The reports of huge crowds and the way Genie+ works are not helping in building excitement.

I get the view that Disney will keep increasing prices until attendance falls, but they well might have pushed too far by then. Sure the 'once and done' customers will keep things going for a while, but Disney has always been about emotion and the love for the brand has been passed from generation to generation. Break that link and future revenue will be severely affected.
I know these boards are not representative of the broader public - they are frequented by the more hard core fans, but the number of posters saying that they have reached the end of the love affair is shocking.
Brits have had some benefits over the years, but I think it's the cost of basics in WDW that is frightening. $16 to $17 for an average cocktail - $10 to $12 for a quick service burger - paying to get on a ride that was previously free - it all is getting too much for many people.

I really hope that I'm wrong and that we will still have the love for the place after our next holiday, but it's getting harder to justify the cost.

Having first visited in 1985, been a DVC owner since 2000 and been part of the Disboards since the first days I can honestly say that I've never seen so much negativity regarding price increases and perceived reduction in benefits.
We are going for the first time in 4 1/2 years in May and it will be really interesting to see how much has changed. The reports of huge crowds and the way Genie+ works are not helping in building excitement.

I get the view that Disney will keep increasing prices until attendance falls, but they well might have pushed too far by then. Sure the 'once and done' customers will keep things going for a while, but Disney has always been about emotion and the love for the brand has been passed from generation to generation. Break that link and future revenue will be severely affected.
I know these boards are not representative of the broader public - they are frequented by the more hard core fans, but the number of posters saying that they have reached the end of the love affair is shocking.
Brits have had some benefits over the years, but I think it's the cost of basics in WDW that is frightening. $16 to $17 for an average cocktail - $10 to $12 for a quick service burger - paying to get on a ride that was previously free - it all is getting too much for many people.

I really hope that I'm wrong and that we will still have the love for the place after our next holiday, but it's getting harder to justify the cost.

agree with you! But they're raising prices to keep stock holders happy and I don't think they're thinking of the overall guest experience anymore. Gone are the days of the slightly spontaneous holiday where you'd pick your park depending on how you feel, now you need to get a park res, genie+ and LLs to even get the most out of a trip.

I know how you feel, it's painful. We've been a lot over the years and this is the first time (have a 2022 trip planned) I've questioned the worth. I think part of it for me is the anxiety around the many changes that have happened since we were last allowed to go. If the trip is like the last time (and the times before) we went, I would be more than happy to pay. But I'm worried it's slipped into being unjustifiable with a lot of the 'x factor' and the magical parts stripped back.

I've always said it's worth it as one of life's luxuries, but I'm worried I'm not going to be able to say that anymore. I badly hope I'm wrong though!
Have you ever thought about DVC? Disney is expensive, but if you go regularly this is potentially a more affordable option. Once you get over the initial investment the annual dues are not that bad.

Gone are the days of the slightly spontaneous holiday where you'd pick your park depending on how you feel, now you need to get a park res, genie+ and LLs to even get the most out of a trip.
Yes, I was hoping the Park Passes might be gone soon, but I've just seen they've extended them to at least into 2024.
I was going to pull the trigger on flights for this year in a few days ... now I'm back on the fence again as to whether it's really worth the cost for such a crippled experience.

agree with you! But they're raising prices to keep stock holders happy and I don't think they're thinking of the overall guest experience anymore. Gone are the days of the slightly spontaneous holiday where you'd pick your park depending on how you feel, now you need to get a park res, genie+ and LLs to even get the most out of a trip.
The park reservations are in response to Covid and will disappear soon. You don’t need to use Genie+ or LL to enjoy Disney. Nothing to stop you going stand by. I have heard that only 30% of guests are paying for Genie+. The extra park hours for resort based guests makes a huge difference. You can do a lot of rides before the parks get busy.
One area I think does need improving is the quality and price of food… it’s not great and is overpriced.

and why genie is so much worse for us - could easily add $1000 for a family of four if you’re doing genie and individual LLs. Although as we’re off site I’m fairly resigned to having to queue for RoTR rather than pay.
Genie + costs far less than $1000 for a family of four if you buy your tickets through WDW. It’s roughly a third of your figure for 4 adults.

The park reservations are in response to Covid and will disappear soon. You don’t need to use Genie+ or LL to enjoy Disney. Nothing to stop you going stand by. I have heard that only 30% of guests are paying for Genie+. The extra park hours for resort based guests makes a huge difference. You can do a lot of rides before the parks get busy.
One area I think does need improving is the quality and price of food… it’s not great and is overpriced.

Actually, Chapek said that they plan on keeping the park reservation system, so I don't see it going anywhere for a long time. He likes to have control over everything and the park reservations system does that. He likes that he knows exactly how many people are coming into the parks so that they can "allocate resources where needed".

Actually, Chapek said that they plan on keeping the park reservation system, so I don't see it going anywhere for a long time. He likes to have control over everything and the park reservations system does that. He likes that he knows exactly how many people are coming into the parks so that they can "allocate resources where needed".
Once things are back to normal I don’t see Disney wanting to stop walk ups.

The park reservations are in response to Covid and will disappear soon.
But by extending them to at least 2024 that seems very unlikely.

In a way I can see the logic as before covid we booked our fastpasses months ahead, which basically tied us to a park, so this isn't actually that different. But it does 'feel' more restrictive, especially as if you didn't have a fastpass you were freeish to go where you wanted, but now you aren't.
I'm really having to work hard at keeping emotions and sense in the same ballpark just now :crazy:

Technically, they don't stop walk ups now. If there is availability, they will let people buy a day ticket. I was there last month and saw a huge line at the ticket booths at Epcot so I asked a cast member. She said that they still allow day of walk ups if there is availability.

If there is availability, they will let people buy a day ticket.
So in that case, if you wanted, presumably you could change your park pass at breakfast time before heading out.
Has anyone tried that?

So in that case, if you wanted, presumably you could change your park pass at breakfast time before heading out.
Has anyone tried that?

Technically it does not allow you to do a change, you have to cancel your existing park reservation and make a new one. But yes, if there is availability, you can switch parks the same day as long as you have not gone into the park first.

This system isn't designed to stop walk ups. As long as the park isn't at full capacity, then walk ups are able to turn up as they spend money. This system is to control the number of APs in the parks. All APs have a limited number of reservations they can make as stated in their t&cs. The fact that they've stopped selling Annual Passes currently suggests they feel there are still to many APs filling parks and taking up spaces in the queues. Also having this system in place means that APs will only book days that they are planning on going rather than booking mulitple days, but then deciding not to turn up. I'm pretty sure pre covid, lots of APs booked Fastpasses 30 days in advance just in case they were going to be at a park that day and then limiting the number of available Fastpasses to non APs. I think it is clear APs are treated differently now to before and I do feel that the reservation system is now part of the new Disney norm.

Genie + costs far less than $1000 for a family of four if you buy your tickets through WDW. It’s roughly a third of your figure for 4 adults.
It's showing me £6.99 a day, but you have to buy for every day of the pass. So going for 9 days, that'll be 14 x £6.99, thanks. That's a bit of a kick.

So that works out at a $130 uplift per person. Being sort of frugal you might then pay up for 2 x LLs each and given the variable pricing you probably have to assume they will be $20 a pop. Obviously you could get to $1k if you keep buying the LLs but I read a very well reasoned article as to why this wasn't necessary...

It's showing me £6.99 a day, but you have to buy for every day of the pass. So going for 9 days, that'll be 14 x £6.99, thanks. That's a bit of a kick.

So that works out at a $130 uplift per person. Being sort of frugal you might then pay up for 2 x LLs each and given the variable pricing you probably have to assume they will be $20 a pop. Obviously you could get to $1k if you keep buying the LLs but I read a very well reasoned article as to why this wasn't necessary...

Have you got a link to the article. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what the best approach is going to be for our trip in August.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter