Is Gideon's Bakehouse REALLY Worth the Hype?

Okay, so since everyone thinks Gideon's is bad does that mean I'll be able to walk right in and get a banana chocolate chip cookie, right?
Things do not have to be good to draw a crowd, especially at Disney. I started going to WDW in 2001. One thing I learned from this board and others is this....things become popular simply because it is popular. If it is hard to get, everybody wants it, regardless of what they are putting out. The food at a restaurant does not have to be good to run out of ADRs. People just have to know others want it. If a Loungefly bag style is hard to get, suddenly everybody wants it and then they turn around and sell it 2 months later in the buy/sell groups on social media. The Dooneys were like that when they first came out (first few years).

Iā€™m a pretty good baker and have come to realize most bakery items at Disney look better than they taste. I gave Gideons a try and didn't find the cookies that great. They were fine but certainly not better than any cookies I can make myself. The cake slice I had was very good though. I love chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting but donā€™t make it much since not many people seem to like it. I got that cake slice and ate it over a few days. Enjoy the first chunk with the pb cold brew.
That 1000%.

In 2023 we went to Erin McKenna's in DTD and it was awful. We tried several different items. My husband loves his sweets and seldom complains. He said they were the driest and most flavorless cupcakes he has ever had. I only tried a cookie and it was pretty bad.

We have tried Sprinkles locally and in DTD. Ours locally is not awful, but not great. The one in DTD is worse. Everything always tastes like it has been in the fridge for days. I wonder if it is the ingredients they use. I bake at home with mostly organic, non-GMO ingredients. I make my own vanilla, etc. Obviously Disney is not going to do that. Perhaps what I am tasting is the quality of ingredients and not really "old" items. I don't know.

I think itā€™s worth it just for the experience. The cookies are definitely unique as is the theming. I dig it. Grab yourself an air pirates mule from the Indy bar and hit the line. Guarantee it will move a lot faster while drinking one of those. šŸ˜‰

We went on New Years Day. It was excellent. The food and service were really good, and the entertainment was great. It was our first time. We usually meet friends for dinner at Disney Springs. One of them got sick once off the scallops, so we never eat there if she's joining us. They couldn't come, so I jumped at the chance. I got the scallops even. Loved them and didn't get sick.

I have never seen it without a line outside, even when they are doing the virtual queue, there's a line outside. We do tend to go at busy times though.
When u get called even if in virtual there is at least a 30 min additional wait outside. Your call back time just puts you in the line. lol. Itā€™s nuts again having a line outside builds up the additional hype machine.

Side note since we r on cookies. Anyone been to the new place with the cookie bar? That also looked so so.

In my humble opinion if you want some good dessert downtown just go to Ammorretteā€™s (spelling). We get the mini cake of the month/week every trip and itā€™s always good. We have also had other stuff there. We always like it. My kids love it.

But the OP didn't ask about food quality decline (since when? the most recent Gideons thread, which is more recent than October). The OP asked about whether the "wait" is "worth" it. That's not a remotely new question. Its been asked many, many times and I am sure it will come up again in the next six weeks.
'Worth it' questions don't tell me anything. Tons and tons of posts saying xyz is 'worth it' and I think the people are nuts.

The 'worth it' phrase should be xxxxx xx'd here.

'Worth it' questions don't tell me anything. Tons and tons of posts saying xyz is 'worth it' and I think the people are nuts.

The 'worth it' phrase should be xxxxx xx'd here.
I don't listen to people here, 95% of whom think filet is good eatin'.

The line outside is partly because the inside can only fit like 5 humans. And partly because it's popular.

The cookies are okay. Prefer the pistachio one because the nut adds MUCH needed texture to what is otherwise a softball of soft cookie dough.

Their cakes are an absolute disappointment. Don't bother. The icing is so grainy.

Hot cookie hour is where it is at though.

To me, they are very good cookies. Lots of their fillings in a tasty dough with the kick of salt you need for chocolate desserts, and definitely worth getting if the line is 30 minutes or less. But odds are I'm not going to wait in a longer line or use the VQ, since I don't spend much time at DS and don't enjoy hanging around there (outside of eating).

The line outside is partly because the inside can only fit like 5 humans. And partly because it's popular.

The cookies are okay. Prefer the pistachio one because the nut adds MUCH needed texture to what is otherwise a softball of soft cookie dough.

Their cakes are an absolute disappointment. Don't bother. The icing is so grainy.

Hot cookie hour is where it is at though.
It sounds like, size-wise, it is comparable to a Nothing Bundt Cakes store. When they release some of their more popular flavors, the line is always outside.

I've heard numerous times the cake slices are even better than the cookies.

Is Gideon's worth the 15-minute wait (or longer)? The line is always long, but that really does not mean anything. Sometimes people want something because it is popular or there is a mental aspect where it becomes a "must-have" simply because it is a "must-have". (Example: Stanley drinking cup) I remember when everybody had to have Crumbl Cookies, but in actuality they really are not that great. All of their cookies kinda taste the same, just with variations....except the French Toast Cookie. I would knock my MIL over for that one. :P

I bake and I do it well. I am happy to wait for a big cookie or a slice of cake on vacation if it is really worth the wait....but I am curious, is it? Or do you walk out with a dry slice of cake that tastes likes the refrigerator or cookies that taste like they were made days ago?
About CRUMBL COOKIES, my baker friend doesn't care for them either. I think some of their flavors are incredible!!! I don't indulge often but I really do like them!!

I wait in the line for cake and cold brew, not the cookies.

Hard agree here! Love the cake slices and peanut butter cold brew and happy to wait in line for them.

I think the quality of Gideons is a lot better than the typical confectionary case treats at WDW, and I also think the flavor profiles that Gideons incorporates into their menu are fun and smartly curated. They're also huge and hold up decently in the fridge, so if I get one on my first day of the trip, I'll be able to take a few forkfuls at a time whenever I'm back at my room and want something sweet. It's worth it IMO.

I thought it was but we waited in the virtual queue and then the real line maybe 10-15 minutes. I loveeeeee the PB cold brew. I loved the PB banana chip cookie they had when we were there. It was rich so I split it with my husband. We're definitely going back in June.

I haven't gone in a while, but I have come to realize that I prefer some cookies over others. I buy a few, cut them into quarters, and freeze them when we get home. Then I take out one or two pieces at a time. I have always been interested in trying a cake slice; but they are so large, and we are a family of two adults.

I haven't gone in a while, but I have come to realize that I prefer some cookies over others. I buy a few, cut them into quarters, and freeze them when we get home. Then I take out one or two pieces at a time. I have always been interested in trying a cake slice; but they are so large, and we are a family of two adults.
You could bake them after they thaw and maybe they'll taste like they should've in the first place! :laughing:

It's a decently-solid baked good with a god-tier promotions campaign.

I find it kinda nice as something I can bring home as a "souvenir" of sorts. Like, normally, I've eaten enough at WDW that I don't want to eat a cookie like that while I'm there. (Random pro tip: if you bring them home, for longevity, throw each cookie in a Ziploc bag, and it won't dry out around the edges.) The monthly cookie is frequently a nice something unusual - this month's Maple Walnut is really nice: mostly maple, lightly walnut.

What I genuinely hate: asking us to tip, in a "support our workers" kind of way. I mean, if I'm paying $40 for six cookies, does that warrant a 15%-20% tip? If you're charging $6 for one cookie, and frequently have 20-minute lines, you can probably scrounge enough money to pay your employees a more-than-fair wage. (Raglan Road, which is right across the walkway, uses a European approach to tipping on their receipts - suggesting like 2%-7% - and they're a full-service restaurant.)

If you want a "fresher" iteration (and maybe don't want to wait in line) and have a car, their homebase store is a little hole in the wall near downtown. I've sometimes stopped there on the way out of town.
I agree on NOT tipping at a grab and go place. McAllisters, Newks, Starbucks and a few other places that i use mobile order for have a tip option. I am picking up my food and bringing it back to work or home. Why do you need a tip?

I had dinner at Ragland Road recently and I don't remember seeing the 2-7% amount suggested. i want to say ours had the 18-20-22% amounts. We generally give 20% but I was told by my daughter that used to be a server that 25% is the median now.

I will add that we had lunch at the Polite Pig. We ordered our food and the screen asked for the tip amount- i skipped it.
Well, there are 10 people outside working at Polite pig that come around and ask if how you are, do you want a drink at the bar, bring your food etc. We did tip out there-cash. We ordered a drink from the bar and tipped on that receipt also.

OP, we waited 25 minutes in line for Gideon's. Worth it ? to us yes. If you buy 3 or more cookies, they will box them for you. They freeze well. I don't care for their cakes or specialty beverages (I drink black coffee) but I believe they package the cake well also. Our arrived unscathed from MCO to our home airport. They are in my freezer right now and I will have a quarter cookie once or twice a week and then on my next trip, I will pick up a few more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter