Is having 2 use years *that* bad / annoying / difficult?

Right now we travel in August and have an August use year. There will most likely be a time we travel in January, so I have been considering a second contract with a December use year.

I figure it gives us an increase in available contracts. Is a December use year a bad idea for August trips for now?

I am also looking a June listings..

Right now we travel in August and have an August use year. There will most likely be a time we travel in January, so I have been considering a second contract with a December use year.

I figure it gives us an increase in available contracts. Is a December use year a bad idea for August trips for now?

I am also looking a June listings..
Just out of curiosity is there a particular reason you need/want a December use year? Your August UY covers your January trips as well and you’d still have a few months to bank those points if you needed to cancel

Just out of curiosity is there a particular reason you need/want a December use year? Your August UY covers your January trips as well and you’d still have a few months to bank those points if you needed to cancel
Not really. I am trying to find what I want in August but figured having other options might also work.

20 odd contracts, 7 different resorts and 5 UYs…so far, I haven’t had a problem keeping up with everything…
That is good to hear. My travel window is Oct - Feb, and I usually am searching for June-Oct UY (Sept being Ideal, but own June) and I feel like it wont be too big of an issue to use as long as the UY fits my window.
What issues do you find when booking?

There is an unequal distribution of points based on use year. Depending on which resort you're trying to add, certain use years are more prevalent than others. Unfortunately I haven't seen a more updated version of this including the newer resorts.

https://dvcnews.com/?view=article&id=4071&catid=166
Based on that article (even though from 2018, I'm guessing still pretty relevant) Sept might be a bad idea trying to wait for the "right" resale contract. lol
Maybe I'm better off sticking with June (or Aug) for WDW. Keeping VGC in June.

That is good to hear. My travel window is Oct - Feb, and I usually am searching for June-Oct UY (Sept being Ideal, but own June) and I feel like it wont be too big of an issue to use as long as the UY fits my window.
What issues do you find when booking?
No real issues - I use my April points to book May, June to book fall trips and Oct to book December- my Dec and Sept UYs are Hilton Head - December is for spring/summer and Sept is for Thanksgiving…

No real issues - I use my April points to book May, June to book fall trips and Oct to book December- my Dec and Sept UYs are Hilton Head - December is for spring/summer and Sept is for Thanksgiving…
Gotcha, so do you ever mix points for the same trip? Maybe that’s what makes it easier to deal with so many different contracts/UY.
For me, since I would only be able to really get out to WDW every other year at best, I will be doing a lot of split stays &/or a lot of swapping at 7mo. But booking shouldn’t be too much problem.

It seems like it's less of a problem if you have enough points in each use year for each trip. I had a September use year and December use year, because that's what I found the best deal for (resale). Different home resorts so I thought I would use them separately. We also don't have a set travel schedule. Within the first year, I needed to combine points for a stay at Aulani booked at 7 months and a stay at Polynesian booked at 4 months. It was too much of a hassle for me. I ended up selling my December use year less than 2 years after we bought it.

How does “combining” work? Don’t they all just become usable at 7 months?
I didn't have enough points in either use year to book the stay so needed to use points from both use years.

For the Aulani stay, I booked one stay with the September use year and one stay with the December use year. Then made a room request to stay in the same room.

For the Polynesian stay, I had to transfer points from my December use year to my September use year to make one reservation using both sets of points.

I think this thread explains the problem I had booking.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/7-mon-window-combining-2-non-home-resort-points.3933085/

How does “combining” work? Don’t they all just become usable at 7 months?
Not when they're different use years. You would have to transfer points from one membership to the other to truly "combine" them. If you can book the rooms separately under each membership, it makes things a lot easier. It sounds like they had intended to book the rooms separately for their respective stays but quickly found out they needed to combine them for their Aulani trip.

If all of your points are in a single use year, then they're all usable at 7 months.

Just as an example lets say a 5 night stay costs 100 points. Each night costs 20 points.

If you have 50 points in one membership and 50 points in the other membership. If you booked 2 nights with each membership, you would have 10 points left on each membership. So you cannot book that last night without transferring the 10 points from one membership to another.

Compare this to everything under a single use year/membership, you can book all 5 nights outright under one membership without needing to transfer. You also wouldn't have to wait to book the second half of your trip.

You're a lot more likely to encounter the above scenario if you have less points in one of the memberships. This is why we advise people to make sure each membership is big enough to function independently of one another to avoid this situation while albeit is fine to do, it's just annoying and requires you to be a little more involved with your membership.

Last edited:
Not when they're different use years. You would have to transfer points from one membership to the other to truly "combine" them. If you can book the rooms separately under each membership, it makes things a lot easier. It sounds like they had intended to book the rooms separately for their respective stays but quickly found out they needed to combine them for their Aulani trip.

If all of your points are in a single use year, then they're all usable at 7 months.

Just as an example lets say a 5 night stay costs 100 points. Each night costs 20 points.

If you have 50 points in one membership and 50 points in the other membership. If you booked 2 nights with each membership, you would have 10 points left on each membership. So you cannot book that last night without transferring the 10 points from one membership to another.

Compare this to everything under a single use year/membership, you can book all 5 nights outright under one membership without needing to transfer.

You're a lot more likely to encounter the above scenario if you have less points in one of the memberships. This is why we advise people to make sure each membership is big enough to function independently of one another to avoid this situation while albeit is fine to do, it's just annoying and requires you to be a little more involved with your membership.
This is what I was trying to say!

I didn't have enough points in either use year to book the stay so needed to use points from both use years.

For the Aulani stay, I booked one stay with the September use year and one stay with the December use year. Then made a room request to stay in the same room.

For the Polynesian stay, I had to transfer points from my December use year to my September use year to make one reservation using both sets of points.

I think this thread explains the problem I had booking.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/7-mon-window-combining-2-non-home-resort-points.3933085/

Compare this to everything under a single use year/membership, you can book all 5 nights outright under one membership without needing to transfer. You also wouldn't have to wait to book the second half of your trip.

This is what I was trying to say!
Yep, I get it now. Thanks.
I feel like I can deal with it and am planning appropriately but won’t know for sure until I have all my contracts and see how it goes.

We have an august use year on our first contract, but have come to find that at the moment we prefer to travel in feb, may, June and august. Looking to add an additional contract and it seems February would be better?

Please share your experience on how hard or annoying it is to have two use years, especially if I want to bundle all points for one big trip per year?

Thank you!
I have same UY but at two different resorts and I find that to be a PIA at times.

I have opposite UYs because I travel all year long. I have done split stays with different member numbers and use all four waitlists.
This is what I have done - and I have never transferred among/between my memberships to use points at 7 months. (I *have* found the multiple waitlists feature to be very helpful, though)

We have three and it works out well because we use each one as though it is all we own.

We book different trips on different memberships. We do a lot of split stays so we can manipulate which parts of each trip to book on which membership.

While we have done a few transfers of small points here or there, it’s something we avoid at all costs, even if I have to borrow points in one membership while I have points in the other.

If the goal is to always use together, then it really does make it easier to keep one.
I generally agree with all of this! ^^^ I've also never borrowed points.

Not really. I am trying to find what I want in August but figured having other options might also work.
If you're considering another UY, I would wait until I saw the "perfect" contract (ie best price, loaded, etc) if August would match your current points and work with how you plan to travel. We started with Feb UY but added in August because we found a terrific contract and when we decided we'd want to try some winter holidays, which would have been outside the banking window if we'd had to cancel. But we would have been happy with all our points being in February if we hadn't had that consideration.
Gotcha, so do you ever mix points for the same trip? Maybe that’s what makes it easier to deal with so many different contracts/UY.
For me, since I would only be able to really get out to WDW every other year at best, I will be doing a lot of split stays &/or a lot of swapping at 7mo. But booking shouldn’t be too much problem.
We do split stays most of the time - with a minimum of 3 nights at each resort. For you, since you're considering smaller contracts, consider whether that's something worth the hassle. We have more than enough points to book 3+ nights at 11 months at each of our home resorts, so we'll string together, say a 10-day stay at BLT(5) and Riviera(5). At 7 mo on the start of our BLT stay, I'll look at what's available to modify for those 5 nights. Say we decide to switch to BCV. Then at 7 mo before the start of the Riviera leg, I see what's available to switch using the Riviera points. Maybe BCV is available in the same size unit - if I switch to that, I will call MS later and ask them to merge the reservation. (Sometimes they can't/won't but will still link them). Or maybe since we are going to BCV at the start of the trip, we'd rather go somewhere out of the EP/HS area later, maybe AKV, maybe CCV? Anyway - it's nice to have the option to do a split stay and this gives us a lot of options, and we can wait list a few different resorts, also! (e.g. one stay we waitlisted BWV standard and BW views).

Like @RoseGold with opposite UY, you have 2 bands where your UYs overlap and you can use a lot of points without having to worry about banking deadlines. For Feb/Aug UYs, those bands are August-September and February-March. We have definitely liked the flexibility to (now) travel any time of year and as long as we stay aware of which UY we are using to book, we've always been within our banking deadlines. And in 6+ years of multiple trips, we've only had to cancel 1-2x (other than COVID), thankfully.

We do split stays most of the time - with a minimum of 3 nights at each resort. For you, since you're considering smaller contracts, consider whether that's something worth the hassle. We have more than enough points to book 3+ nights at 11 months at each of our home resorts, so we'll string together, say a 10-day stay at BLT(5) and Riviera(5). At 7 mo on the start of our BLT stay, I'll look at what's available to modify for those 5 nights. Say we decide to switch to BCV. Then at 7 mo before the start of the Riviera leg, I see what's available to switch using the Riviera points. Maybe BCV is available in the same size unit - if I switch to that, I will call MS later and ask them to merge the reservation. (Sometimes they can't/won't but will still link them). Or maybe since we are going to BCV at the start of the trip, we'd rather go somewhere out of the EP/HS area later, maybe AKV, maybe CCV? Anyway - it's nice to have the option to do a split stay and this gives us a lot of options, and we can wait list a few different resorts, also! (e.g. one stay we waitlisted BWV standard and BW views).

Like @RoseGold with opposite UY, you have 2 bands where your UYs overlap and you can use a lot of points without having to worry about banking deadlines. For Feb/Aug UYs, those bands are August-September and February-March. We have definitely liked the flexibility to (now) travel any time of year and as long as we stay aware of which UY we are using to book, we've always been within our banking deadlines. And in 6+ years of multiple trips, we've only had to cancel 1-2x (other than COVID), thankfully.
Yep, that is the idea. I should have enough every other year to book 2-3 nights at AKV, then enough to book 3-5 nights at BLT/CCV (or whichever i end up with), & possibly another to cover 3+ nights at BWV (if the perfect one happens to come available)
The idea of both 75BLT & 75CCV is just extra, I really only need one or the other, but it's nice to be able to splurge once in a while over having to purchase OTUP. 8-)

We are first year members and have two UY, Feb and April, 2 different resorts. We are so green that obviously haven't came across any issues with two UY. We do plan to use them separately though. The BLT contracts will almost always going to be used for BLT, at least 2-3 nights each trip so it will function that way on its own. If we have extra pts left, we can book another split stay. I figured it's only 2 months apart, shouldn't have any major issues and hopefully it stays that way!😅

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter