Is SAB Handicap accessible?

patiruss

Welcomed Guest
Let me explain my question better. In October, we are staying at the BCV with my sister and brother-in-law. My sister is a paraplegic and in a wheelchair. She has a pool at her home and is a good swimmer. She can get into her pool, but needs help getting out. When we were there last August and stayed at Fort Wilderness, she got into the pool by my husband and brother-in-law getting her onto the pool stairs and then she got her self down the stairs. She has great upper body strength from years of pushing!! To get out, she got herself back onto the stairs, and from there the guys lifted her (grabbing under her arms) back into her chair.

Will we be able to do something similiar at SAB? Can we get her wheelchair to an area where we can help her in? Does anyone have experience at this pool with a handicapped individual.

We choose the BCVs, for the proximity to Epcot for the F&W Festival. We'll be there from 10/20 - 10/25. I am hoping I made a good choice. I know that SSR has a zero entry area at their pool and wonder if SAB has anything similiar.

Your help will be appreciated!

The "kiddie" pool is zero entry at SAB, but the rest of it is not. Sorry, I do'nt feel qualified to answer your question further as I don't quite understand the dynamics of how she gets in and out. I'm certain Andrew or someone else will be able to help though.

Anne

Most (all?) resorts at disney now have at least one pool with handicap access. Stormalong bay has such access. I call them 'bump' steps but I don't know if that is the proper name. They are located at pool steps at the shallow end(rather than the ladders into deeper water). They consist of a series of steps starting at the pool edge and rising up to a platform at wheelchair seat level. Someone with strong upper body strength would be able to bounce themselves out of the water one step at a time, continue up to the platform then make a side transfer to a wheelchair.

I have a photo which I could email to you if you send me a private message.

Andrew

SSR is zero entry, but it is only a bit over 3 feet deep at the deepest point.

This picture shows the Beach Club villas hot tub. The steps shown near the top of the picture are some of the "bump steps" that Andrew mentioned.
There are not any good pictures of SAB that I know of on the DIS site.

15138Disabled_access_at_Stormalong.jpg
'Bump' steps at Stormalong bay.

This is my first attempt ever at including a photo in a post. I hope it works!!!

Andrew

That is a great picture. Thanks Andrew.
I don't find Zero entry pools helpful to me. I need a good 3+ feet of water to help me maintain balance. I could not walk into a zero entry pool without a lot of assistance. I would rather bump down the steps and slide into the pool at a deeper level.

Andrew...Thank you so much. :flower:

The picture was great and I feel much better knowing that my sister will get to enjoy SAB. I was able to copy the picture and I am going to forward it to her as well.

SAB also has one hot tub with a transfer tier- just ask a CM to point it out to you if she wants to use it.
Kathy

dclfun said:
SAB also has one hot tub with a transfer tier- just ask a CM to point it out to you if she wants to use it.
Kathy
I think that might be the picture I found.

Sue- it's not the same one...the hot tub is smaller and oval- I know it's in the center of the SAB area and it was a little tough to find at first since they have several hot tubs there. Now I'm curious as to the area your photo is from???? Kathy

It's listed on the DIS site pictures as being Beach Club, but I don't recall seeeing it when we were there (and I didn't take the picture), so I have no idea where it is. It is a pretty good picture of a typical set of "bump" steps, though.

Sue, your picture is of the hot tub at Beach Club Villas.

Ahah. At least it's in the vincinity. Thanks

With parts of SAB covered in sand, does that affect accessibility around the pools?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter