Is the Disney Vacation Club worth it?

Our first family trip to Disney was in 2002. We spent around $800 at All Star Sport but during that trip my dad told me to make sure I check out DVC.

We did not plan on buying but was sold!

5 trips later and I still love DVC. This past trip we wanted to add 2 extra days. I didn't have anymore points so I paid cash at Pop. All I can say is how spoiled I am with DVC. I couldn't wait to check in to the Boardwalk Villa's hear my "welcome home" and relax the rest of the trip.

As far as points I will not be short again as I just bought my second interest during my trip at AKL. I am already planning a second trip this year (hopefully at AKL)

I have taken advantage of DVC discounts. $100 off AP. 15% off Disney tours and 10% Disneystore.com.

DVC had a party in Chicago last year that only DVC member's were invited to which was so much fun and later this summer DVC store will be opening just 30 mins from my house. I hope I can control myself on a impulse buy! lol!

In looking at the size of your family (5 members) and the way you vacation (twice a year), the easy answer would be that yes, DVC would probably be a good decision for you.

We've been members since 2004 - we joined when we found out we were having twins! Before that, we didn't think DVC made "sense" for us, since we were a family of three, so we never looked too closely at it.

BIG MISTAKE!

Hindsight is always 20/20, but my DH just "had" to cruch the numbers to see what we would've paid in 1997 (we honeymooned in Orlando) when we first saw information about DVC. He was almost moved to tears.

If you are a list making type of person, really look at what you spend when you vacation at Disney. With what we payed for our DVC contract, we could've gone to Disney and stayed at a moderate resort six times. For us, it was a very good purchase.

That being said, I agree with the pp's about asking lots of questions, touring if you are able to, and really looking at what you are expecting from the DVC.

Good luck in your decision!

Only you can really decide if it is worth it or not but it works great for DH and I. We had gotten to the point where we visited WDW at least once a year and usually stayed at Moderate or Deluxe resorts. Once we got to a place in our lives where we could afford DVC it really wasn't a hard decision. Made a quick weekend visit staying at All Stars and while there too the DVC tour (we had already gotten all the info and told our guide to start the paperwork as the tour was just a formality). Seeing a one bedroom with a king size bed, the full kitchen and the jetted tub - we knew we made the right choice.

We've been members since early 2000 and what I love best about it is the flexability. We've done studios, one bedrooms and even a two bedroom when we took my in-laws with us. We've also cruised on points a number of times.

DVC is definately worth it for us!

We're looking into the DVC, and just trying to decide if it's worth the money. We usually go twice a year on average, staying in a value resort, but next year I'll have to move up to a bigger room-we have 3 kids and the youngest is turning 3. Can anyone share your likes/dislikes about DVC?

My family and I think it was worth it, but remember this is on the DVC board, most of us here :love: our membership. If I could change one thing it may be to have mousekeeping more often. You don't get daily mousekeeping like you would as a cash paying guest. I don't mind the cleaning but I do like fresh towels daily but it is not some thing I would want my dues to go up for, go figure.
We purchased after returning to Disney for the 4th year and we always stay deluxe (anywhere from 5-14 days). We knew we would almost certainly be continuing this trend so it made sense for us to purchase.
The jury is still out on whether or not we are saving money because now we seem to go more frequently (now we are down to every 10 months) :laughing:

Is the Disney Vacation Club worth it?

There couldnt be a more biased group of people to ask this question too...
[dvc owners in the dvc section on the dis board]

:dance3: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :dance3:

some think its worth it or they wouldnt have bought, I must be one of them. Others dont think so and dont buy, some would like to buy but cannot for whatever reason more often than not this will be financial. At the end of the day if you spend a lot of money on your accommodation i.e staying in the more expensive on site hotels at least once every 2 years you will save money buying into DVC.

DVC is more expensive than some on site accommodation such as the value resorts but is not aimed at this market, it is at the end of the day a luxury product and as such come at a substancial price, only the individual can dedcide if this is suitable for them. As for the many threads on what each resort will be woth in 10,20,30,40 or more years time, grief why worry this is not an investment in that sense of the word, if it make money your laughing, if it doesnt you have still got what you paid for and anyway out of all the threads on that matter whats the likelyhood of everyone who has contributed to them still being around in 30 years or more?

Would it make sense for your family finances, wishes, etc. to rent points at a DVC property for your next WDW visit? That really helped us make up our minds. We're totally sold, and looking forward to buying more points, but no one family's situation is going to be exactly like another's.

Enjoy your WDW vacations - no matter what you decide to do!

DisneyBarlans-

We just closed on our DVC contracts for Saratoga Springs. This is the end of a 13 year wishing/hoping for us. We first took the tour when they were selling at Old Key West - but couldn't afford it as we were just out of college, etc. Needless to say we could not be more thrilled.

One thing that helped us was a spreadsheet that my DH created, and I have offered to others as well as part of their decision-making process. It gives some great comparisons as to cost (so you can compare resale contracts you may be interested in vs. buying directly from Disney), financing options, comparison costs with other WDW resorts (regular rooms at rack rate), and how much the "true" point cost is - including maintenance fees. Let me know via PM if you would like me to send it to you and I will.

Do your homework, a little soul searching (where do we want to be "home"?), and LOTS of reading here on the DIS/DVC boards. A lot of the members here have great information and are willing to help.

Best of luck!

We have 400 pts a year...2 -200 pt contracts. If you do decide be sure to get 2 contracts or more. This way if you decide to sell it is easier to sell smaller contracts. If you are not happy with DVC you can sell it...or even rent out your pts.

with that said we have no intention on ever selling. We will eventually give our children our contracts 200 each and plan on buying more for us.

My oldest is 13 so when the contract is up he will be 62 years old...not only will he be able to use it but he can pass it on to his kids for his grandkids....and the same for my other son who is 11 at this time.

To me that is worth it in itself...to be able to pass on. We have always loved staying in Deluxe Hotels, so made perfect sence to us to purchase DVC to save $$$$ and it has.

We are 1 hr away from DL so we stay at the GCH all the time and we love love love that hotel. Cost most of the time $400 a night...We can stay there for 7 days in concierge for 444 pts a year( they charge cash for conceirge around $600 night in summer.) and are planning on doing that in 2008 for the first time....no brainer to me...or we can stay there in just a reg beautiful room for 7 days at about 235 pts...

I think one poster said it best, "if it makes financial sense for you at this time".

I've been going to Disney since I was 4 (I'm 38 now) and even honeymooned there in '93 when we first heard about DVC. I just joined DVC yesterday, so for me it was a 14 year research project.

Back in '93 I was only 24 and just married so it wasn't financially feasible for us at the time. Then the kids came and another set of finanancial priorities kept us from making the commitment. Today I'm in a better position to make the financial commitment DVC requires.

We go at least every other year and stay 7-8 days at a time. We have done the value resorts early on but migrated to the moderates the last 5 times we have gone. With the kids getting older everyday (and bigger) I knew it wouldn't be much longer before we needed something more than the average hotel room can provide. Add another plus in the "reasons to buy" DVC column.

I've been scanning these boards for 2 years soaking up all I can and felt like I was pretty knowlegeable when I made the DVC commitment yesterday. I certainly went into it knowing what to expect and how things work in general. The rest is a journey I can't wait to start on, we take our first DVC trip this August!

So my advice is three-fold:

1. If it will be a financial burden, don't do it. If you can afford it and see a value in it long-term, DO IT!
  2. If you go often (and it appers you do) and you need extra room, DO IT!
  3. Research and get answers to all your questions beforehand. If you are happy with what you learn, DO IT!

Hope to "Welcome you home" soon:yay:

Yes.

Note this response was a biased answer. ;)

Seriously only you can make that decision. Think it through seriously and think over what some of the posters here have to say. We originally bought in 99/00 Our only regret now is that we didn't do it sooner when we first toured OKW. pirate:

I think one poster said it best, "if it makes financial sense for you at this time".

I've been going to Disney since I was 4 (I'm 38 now) and even honeymooned there in '93 when we first heard about DVC. I just joined DVC yesterday, so for me it was a 14 year research project.

Back in '93 I was only 24 and just married so it wasn't financially feasible for us at the time. Then the kids came and another set of finanancial priorities kept us from making the commitment. Today I'm in a better position to make the financial commitment DVC requires.

We go at least every other year and stay 7-8 days at a time. We have done the value resorts early on but migrated to the moderates the last 5 times we have gone. With the kids getting older everyday (and bigger) I knew it wouldn't be much longer before we needed something more than the average hotel room can provide. Add another plus in the "reasons to buy" DVC column.

I've been scanning these boards for 2 years soaking up all I can and felt like I was pretty knowlegeable when I made the DVC commitment yesterday. I certainly went into it knowing what to expect and how things work in general. The rest is a journey I can't wait to start on, we take our first DVC trip this August!

So my advice is three-fold:
  1. If it will be a financial burden, don't do it. If you can afford it and see a value in it long-term, DO IT!
  2. If you go often (and it appers you do) and you need extra room, DO IT!
  3. Research and get answers to all your questions beforehand. If you are happy with what you learn, DO IT!
Hope to "Welcome you home" soon:yay:

Congrats to you and welcome home!!!:cool1:

DisneyBarlans (OP) posted his question on 4-8-07.
It's now 10 days+ later and 3 pages of responses later.
One might wonder just how much of a 'burning issue' the question is/was to the OP not having heard any responses to replies from them in now what is approaching 2 weeks.

Nope.
And especially not the Boardwalk with those long hallways. You spend your entire vacation just finding your room...
So if you actually go on to believe those other crazy people, please pick a different resort so I don't have to compete with you at the 11 month window. Thanks.
Okay, I'm obviously kidding. It has given me 10 year of unforgettable vacations for a fraction of the price I would have spent on similar vacations or therapy. I am a hero in the eyes of everyone I have ever shared my accomodations with.
I value DVC very highly as my favorite hobby, my escape and my investment in becoming a kid again every chance I get.

I'll go out on a limb - for you - maybe not.

Are you happy with the All Stars? With connecting rooms at the All Stars you'll come out cheaper than staying in a two bedroom (the "legal capacity" for five with a few exceptions). You could stay in a one bedroom at VAK or, currently, MS is letting five stay in a one bedroom. If you are looking at doing this to save money, probably not.

There are some nice things about a DVC room with a family - the kitchen, the laundry room. The rooms are nicer than the All Stars. But I don't think you'll save money.

A few frugal folks have bought other Orlando timeshares retail - there are some great timeshare bargains out there. They aren't Disney, they aren't on-site, but if your objective is to save money, they may be a better option.

We're looking into the DVC, and just trying to decide if it's worth the money. We usually go twice a year on average, staying in a value resort, but next year I'll have to move up to a bigger room-we have 3 kids and the youngest is turning 3. Can anyone share your likes/dislikes about DVC?
We are a lot like you- when our youngest turned 3, in 2006, we started looking into DVC- Formerly we stayed mostly in value resorts with the occasional mod and deluxe stay. We saw DVC as an economical upgrade that will allow us flexibility as our vacationing habits and needs change/evolve over the next next 30 or so years.
The decision to purchase DVC mostly was a commitment to making nice vacations with our family a priority in our lives.

DisneyBarlans (OP) posted his question on 4-8-07.
It's now 10 days+ later and 3 pages of responses later.
One might wonder just how much of a 'burning issue' the question is/was to the OP not having heard any responses to replies from them in now what is approaching 2 weeks.

It kind of reminds me of a thread started by a new member asking about "Why so many SSR resales", well you can guess where that thread went.:lmao: . Did she ever reply to it? No.

Perhaps the person figured out for themselves it wasn't worth it for them, without all our advice. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter