Is the DVC worth it?

bonnielynn

DIS Veteran
I just got back from a disney cruise and went to a seminar on the DVC.. since it was a short seminar and I had just been to the martini tastings, I wasn't going to jump in. I am really interested, but wanted to know if its worth it.

Are you happy that you bought into the DVC?

VERY HAPPY!!

Even though we now live in FL, we still visit DVC 2-3 times per year.

Before we moved from upstate NY (Saratoga Springs, ironic, isn't it?), we still came to DVC at least twice per year.

Keep in mind: maintence fees increase every year, some resorts are older than others, buying direct from Disney is more expensive than resales, etc.

I'm sure others will tell you their experiences and opinions.

Asking in this forum will mostly give you all positive responses. As an owner, I obviously think it's worth it and have been a happy member for 4 years. As long as the upfront cost isn't an hindrance and you see yourself going to WDW at least every other year then its a simple decision if you ask me.

Read the DVC forums and you'll learn everything you need to know to make a good choice.

Although you will hear almost all positive responses about DVC on this site since we are almost all owners, I must say I take that as a huge plus. Go on any other timeshare site and you will never see all the owners agreeing on the same thing. We all seem to love it. I could't be happier with it (unless it didn't expire).

Good luck in your decision.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/faq.shtml

The above link will take you to the DIS DVC FAQ which should help answer a lot of your questions.

As for is DVC worth it....the answer for my DH and myself is yes. We've been members since early 2000 and buying into DVC was one of the best things we've ever done. We visit WDW at least once per year and love being able to stay in a one bedroom villa with a master bedroom, full kitchen and washer/dryer in the unit.

Since you mentioned learning about DVC on your cruise I have to ask the question do you intend to use your DVC just for cruising or do you really love visiting the parks as well. While we have used our DVC for cruises you really don't get the most bang for your buck that way and I would discourage anyone from buying DVC just for that purpose. However if you go to WDW every year or every other year and enjoy deluxe level accomodations then I say it is something you should look into.

Only you know if it is right for you and your family.

The short answer is "it depends."

Note that "worth and value" here refers to financial worth and value. For a lot of DVC members there is a lot of emotional value.

Most people do not believe it is worth it if you don't USUALLY stay at DVC resorts. If you plan on using it to cruise or travel places other than WDW, it isn't probably isn't a good value.

Most people do not believe it is worth it if you don't normally stay in Deluxe resorts at DVC - or desire the upgrade to multiple rooms. Breaking even coming from Value rooms is harder. And if you are willing to stay offsite, there are some real deals.

Most people do not believe it is worth it if you can't plan ahead. Availability of rooms is limited on short notice, particularly if you are picky about resort.

Are we happy, yep. This is a bad spot to do a customer satifaction survey since only a few former members come over here.

:thumbsup2
We are so happy with our DVC, only wish we would have joined sooner. We've aded on several times over the years and plan to buy CRV points if that is ever announced. We plan trips for the Food & Wine Festival, Flower & Garden festival and always try to go down for a few days in early December for the Christmas lights and party. It is just wonderful. I love the 1 bedroom villas and am so spoiled by them; its hard to enjoy a regular hotel room when we must stay in one. We don't get tired of Disney, sometimes we don't even go into the parks that much, we just enjoy the resorts. I'd love to trade out and stay somewhere else someday but I seem to keep using up the points at Disney!

Since we can only go during the Peak Seasons and the resort rates have steadily increased we felt we had to lock in Disney at a good rate, which for us was DVC. When "Values" begin to cost $129 during Holiday Seasons, they dont become "value" anymore.

i'm happy, but i did a lot of research first to figure out how to best use the DVC.

for example, if you're happy in a value room and stay mostly on weekends and don't like to plan things 10-11 months in advance...you may wind up disappointed with DVC.

definitely scan through the threads here on the DVC forums to get an idea of risks and benefits...

I just got back from a disney cruise and went to a seminar on the DVC.. since it was a short seminar and I had just been to the martini tastings, I wasn't going to jump in.

:rotfl2: O.K...that's too funny! "Let's liquor them up at the Martini Tasting, then try to sell them on DVC!" I wonder how many people have purchased DVC and didn't even realize it until the next morning?!!

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/faq.shtml

Since you mentioned learning about DVC on your cruise I have to ask the question do you intend to use your DVC just for cruising or do you really love visiting the parks as well.

We go to Disney every other year, but our youngest is 10 and we have 2 grown children.. I dont forsee going to only disney and would enjoy going other places. What I liked about the DVC is that the points in other places seem to get you in hotels and not just condo's.. which is nice. I know with other ownerships you trade condos. I also like that whatever disney does is up to disney's standards..

I think I would use it to visit the parks but to also visit the world... and that is why I question is it worth it? do you guys visit other places not just Disney themeparks with the DVC?

IMHO: If you are planing on using the points for tradeing thru Interval International (II), Adventures collection or Concierge collection, then no. The number of points required and they are per person, not per room, is nuts. Plus there's the new $95 fee for points used at non Disney resorts. I own 340 and would have to save a couple of years to do a colorado rapids trip for just DH and me. But, if you are a Disney parks person the yes it could be worth it to you.:hippie:

I researched DVC for over a year and finally purchased last week. I can tell you that DVC is well worth it for our family. I would suggest that you contact a guide (mine was so patient since I called him for over a year with tons of questions) and ask every question you can think of. I think my husband said it best when we were signing the paperwork when he said, "If it were not Disney, we would not be buying. " Disney has such high standards that we felt confident that we were making the right choice.

I just got back from a disney cruise and went to a seminar on the DVC.. since it was a short seminar and I had just been to the martini tastings, I wasn't going to jump in. I am really interested, but wanted to know if its worth it.

Are you happy that you bought into the DVC?

Depends on you and your family and what you expect. IMO DVC could be better in several areas. Now that it has become a hot item I see some changes that I don't really care for. We will keep our membership for now. I think that we will sell some points and maybe buy others. We learn more every trip. September was just removed from our "best time to travel" list.

Have to agree with Disneynutz, if you had asked this question 3 years ago, I would have said definitely, now, my answer would be maybe.

If things with upper management do not see an improvement, in my opinion, we will be selling some of ours also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter