Is there a price advantage to splitting up kids in cabins?

Surgie2

DIS Veteran
7-day cruise in 2022, destination TBD but likely Carribean.

We have 3 family groups:
Cabin 1: 2 adults
Cabin 2: 2 adults + kids 9 and 8 at time of cruise
Cabin 3: 2 adults + kids 9, 5, 3 at time of cruise

We will likely all want verandah cabins. For the family of 5, would it cost less to include one of the kids on the cabin 1 reservation?

We are planning to purchase a future cruise for two of the cabins when we sail in fall 2020. Can't purchase all three since only the people from cabin 1 & 2 are cruising in 2020. Just want to make sure I know what I need to know in advance.

Most cabins have a capacity of 3 or 4 people. For a family of 5 to stay in 1 verandah cabin, I believe you’ll need a Cat 4 room. Those rooms start at a higher price. If you’re going to want to sleep all 5 in the same cabin, I don’t think it will matter much where you book the kids. I recommend checking prices in various configurations on the site for a 2021 sailing for an idea of what may be the most economical way to book. Note that if you book one of the kids in a different room s/he will be assigned to a muster station based on where they are booked, not where they sleep.

The price difference will be minimal. Passengers 3, 4, and 5 are generally the same fare... all else being equal.

If you are booking a combination of inside/verandah cabins, then you’ll want to put as many people as possible in the inside cabin... but if you are booking all verandahs, just put everyone where they plan to sleep.

Passengers 3, 4, and 5 are generally the same fare... all else being equal.
"Generally", maybe - from the https://www.wdwinfo.com/discounts/discounts-cruise.htm#kids site:
All rates valid for the stateroom category mentioned above and are applicable to the first two occupants of the stateroom. Single travelers will be subject to an additional pro-rated charge. *Other stateroom categories may be available at other rates. Children's rates are also available for Guests ages 3-12 traveling with 2 adults in the same stateroom.

And, from https://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/cr-price.htm

How Disney Cruise Line Pricing Works
All cruises are priced based on two adults in the stateroom. So, even if you are one adult traveling with a child, the price is the same as if there were two adults in the stateroom. After the two adult price, the third and fourth passenger in the stateroom are charged a lower rate. If you are traveling alone, DCL will charge you 100% of the second adult's cruise fare (not including port fees and taxes) in addition to the full fare for the first adult.

**NOTE** Teenagers will be Charged adult fares (13-17). Child rates apply to ages 3-12. Children ages 0-2 pay 50% of the child rate.

There may be a noticeable difference if cabins 1 and 2 are considering a category 6 or 7 stateroom because cabin 3 would have to do category 4 with 5 passengers.

As to future cruise booking (OBB or placeholder) - each address on the 2020 cruise should be able to book 2 staterooms for one cruise date. So assuming cabins 1+2 do not live together, between you you could book a total of up to 4 staterooms for the 2022 cruise.

Enjoy your cruise!

7-day cruise in 2022, destination TBD but likely Carribean.

We have 3 family groups:
Cabin 1: 2 adults
Cabin 2: 2 adults + kids 9 and 8 at time of cruise
Cabin 3: 2 adults + kids 9, 5, 3 at time of cruise

We will likely all want verandah cabins. For the family of 5, would it cost less to include one of the kids on the cabin 1 reservation?

We are planning to purchase a future cruise for two of the cabins when we sail in fall 2020. Can't purchase all three since only the people from cabin 1 & 2 are cruising in 2020. Just want to make sure I know what I need to know in advance.
No the price is the same unless the cabins is a 7a.

"Generally", maybe - from the https://www.wdwinfo.com/discounts/discounts-cruise.htm#kids site:
All rates valid for the stateroom category mentioned above and are applicable to the first two occupants of the stateroom. Single travelers will be subject to an additional pro-rated charge. *Other stateroom categories may be available at other rates. Children's rates are also available for Guests ages 3-12 traveling with 2 adults in the same stateroom.

And, from https://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/cr-price.htm

How Disney Cruise Line Pricing Works
All cruises are priced based on two adults in the stateroom. So, even if you are one adult traveling with a child, the price is the same as if there were two adults in the stateroom. After the two adult price, the third and fourth passenger in the stateroom are charged a lower rate. If you are traveling alone, DCL will charge you 100% of the second adult's cruise fare (not including port fees and taxes) in addition to the full fare for the first adult.

**NOTE** Teenagers will be Charged adult fares (13-17). Child rates apply to ages 3-12. Children ages 0-2 pay 50% of the child rate.

Right. 2 adults in a stateroom pay the same as an adult and a kid. That’s not the OP’s situation.

Moving around the kids won’t change the fare unless the stateroom category changes (or they are filling the “2nd person” spot on a reservation).

We will likely all do Category 4 since that’s what family of 5 needs and we’d like to all be next door to each other even if not connected.

Thanks for all the advice. Yes, my son and I are at separate addresses so I can book 2 cabins and he can book one in 2020 all for the 2022 sailing? I didn’t know that - very helpful. (It will be within 24 months).

I think the only price difference would be if you place a kid from room 3 into room 1, then you won’t need the category 4 family verandas for 5 people which are a big price jump. I’m not sure how the logistics would work for that but it might work if they are family and you get adjoining rooms. For example, if room 1 are grandparents I could see a kid from room 3 sleeping there. I am still a newbie though so listen to the experts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter