Is there a thread "Club level for dummies" anywhere?

jo-jo

DIS Veteran
We have booked three nights in May for AK club in a one bedroom.

WE KNOW NOTHING..such as....

Where do you check in,
Tipping (please no comment on IF we should tip,) we don't know when and amount,
Turn down service, do you call for a time or do they just come in at some point,
Daily housekeeping - this is DVC yes/no?
Visiting the lounge , can we take coffee and a plate back to room. If so, do we return the plates to the lounge or let housekeeping take them.
Do we need to check with anyone upon entering the lounge?

If not busy, is there a "polite" amount of time one should stay in the lounge? If it's half empty, could we just sit there for an hour or two. ( Like if our room isn't ready yet)

Any other things I should know about? I hate to act like a complete idiot not knowing the rules. In some ways, I feel like grannie from the beverly hillbillies. I'm going to stay at a great place, but don't know how anything works.

Where do you check in,
Turn down service, do you call for a time or do they just come in at some point,
Visiting the lounge , can we take coffee and a plate back to room. If so, do we return the plates to the lounge or let housekeeping take them.

If not busy, is there a "polite" amount of time one should stay in the lounge? If it's half empty, could we just sit there for an hour or two. ( Like if our room isn't ready yet)

Any other things I should know about? I hate to act like a complete idiot not knowing the rules. In some ways, I feel like grannie from the beverly hillbillies. I'm going to stay at a great place, but don't know how anything works.
I think you'll love CL at AKL. It's a beautiful resort!
The club level thread here on the resorts board is very helpful for additional Q's.

We never tip club level cast members. They don't expect it, it's not necessary.

Turn down-They may come from just after 5 to (occasionally) around 7. If we don't want it we leave the room occupied on the door.

Yes, you can take coffee (or an adult beverage) back to your room. Yes you can take a plate. Sometimes we return the glasses and plates, sometimes we leave them for housekeeping.

The CL CM's generally says hello as you enter the lounge. It might depend on whether they are busy helping other guests.
We enjoy our snacks and beverages at a relaxed pace, and then head out. If your room isn't ready, it's fine to wait in the lounge.
Hope this helps, wishing you a wonderful
stay!!

Where do you check in,

This is the club level thread:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/disneys-club-level-cl-information-and-questions.3414590/unread

there are posters there with knowledge of all the different resort club levels who will answer any questions. I haven’t stayed at AKL, so can comment specifically about check in there.

As for tipping, many people tip housekeeping. Club level CMs in the lounge & at the desks do not get tipped. Now you will get one or 2 stray posters who insist they tip those CMs every time. But the vast majority will tell you no. I have stayed CL at YC, BC, BWI, CR & GF RPC for about 20 years & have never tipped nor seen anyone else tip those CMs. Former employees have said they could jeopardize their jobs accepting tips. They are supposed to refuse 3 times, then can accept but must turn over to their manager to be used for something for all employees. So really, don’t worry about tipping anyone but bell services & housekeeping. Then just tip as you usually would.

Turndown service times vary by resort, but I have found it is a housekeeping routine. They just make rounds & show up whenever they get to your room.

No need to check with anyone when you go to the lounge. You can stay as long as you’d like. Of course, if there are no tables at the busy breakfast times & you’re done, it would be nice for other guests if you moved. But CMs will never tell you that you have to move. Food & beverages can be taken back to you room with no problems. Some people routinely take their plates back to the lounge, some leave them in the room. At YC & GF, many people also leave the plates outside in the hall to get picked up, like room service trays are. I’m not certain how that works at AKL, sorry.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
Also, Even if you do online check in, stop at the CL desk for check in. They will give you a list of the lounge rules & times for the various food services. The only rules are very basic: footwear required, no wet bathing suits, kids need an adult. Stuff like that. And they’ll give you a little “lay of the land” type tour of the lounge. That will be helpful & make you feel more comfortable.

With DVC concierge villas, you will be on the sixth floor of Jambo House. You won't have any choice of view. You might get an obstructed pool view or an obstructed savanna view. The views from the sixth floor are not that good. You will get daily full housekeeping with your AKV Concierge villa. There is no need for tipping the housekeepers unless you ask for something special, like extra pillows or blankets or you leave a big mess for them to clean up. You'll have a full kitchen so you can bring your food from the lounge and eat it in your villa. You are on the same floor as the lounge, so you'll wander by the lounge every time you leave your villa to go down in the elevator. You can sit out in the lounge to relax if you like or you can sit in your living room to relax once your villa is available for you to move in.

Turn down service will usually happen automatically.

We love CL and it's a must for us. We think the AK Lounge (Kilimanjaro Club) is the best on property. The food offerings are different from everywhere else. We tip mouskeeping daily as well as Valet and Bell services. Club level CM's will refuse tips. Our arrival to all the resorts is the same every time with the exception of one time. Upon arrival when we get out of our vehicle we are greeted by Bell Services and they unload our bags. We Valet our vehicle then either when we walk in or just outside someone greets us by name and takes us up to Club Level. We complete check in, they show us the lounge, offer us a welcome drink and ask if there is anything else they can do for us. You will love CL!

The lounges have specific hours and aren't always open. They are usually open during the day, though. To get more info, do an online search for your resort's club level, and you'll find no shortage of reviews with lots of details for your resort's lounge. Just make sure you're looking at a relatively recent review.

As long as the lounge is open, you are welcome to hang out there. You are also welcome to take drinks & snacks to your room.

It isn't customary to tip club level CMs. Mousekeepers should be tipped daily.

You can stay as long as you like. I usually tip housekeeping, but not always, as sometimes this service is actually poor, even after complaining. I have tipped lounge CMs on occasion; no one looked embarrassed, had a couple say 'oh you don't have to' but no one refused 3x in a row and they all looked pretty happy afterwards.

...It isn't customary to tip club level CMs. Mousekeepers should be tipped daily.
Housekeeping is a non-tipped position since they are paid a higher rate than other CMs. No need to tip Housekeeping unless they do something out of the ordinary for you.

At the risk of continuing a tipping debate...

I choose to tip Mousekeeping daily - be it Disney or any other hotel. I value the service provided and want to show my appreciation. How they are compensated in the WDW corporate structure is not really a factor in my decision.

Others choose not to and that's their prerogative. All good.

I don't think it's my place to apply how I view things as a lens for how others should act - it's a highly personal choice.

I tip mousekeeping daily and CL staff only if they perform a specific above and beyond service.

You will get daily full housekeeping with your AKV Concierge villa. There is no need for tipping the housekeepers unless you ask for something special,
Or if the guest simply chooses to tip Housekeeping. Not really the guest's concern how much of how much more than others a particular position is paid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter