• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is there a way to donate clothes at WDW? UPDATE - RESULTS - GO TO LAST POST

esdras

DIS Veteran
My wife wanted me to ask this - and I have to admit it sounds like a good idea, I just don't remember reading about this anywhere.

We will be staying onsite at the end of the month, and my wife wondered if bringing summer clothes that our two kids won't be able to wear again next year - but are still in good condition now - could then be donated to charity at WDW.

It would help with two things - first, we like to donate children's clothing whenever possible (it's just a nice thing to do), and second, it frees up suitcase space on the return trip for any souvenirs we've picked up during the week.

So, can you donate it directly at WDW? Would one of the resorts contact a local charity that has trucks that do pickups for donations? Can it be done at all?

Thanks in advance for any replies or suggestions.

SOMEWHERE On these boards Lurks a post about a woman that brings charity clothes each year, but for the life of me, I do not know how to find it or where to find it.

HOPEFULLY someone will know, Good Luck!

Thanks - I've been trying to use the forum search function - donate, clothes, charity, etc. - as the keywords. Still haven't found the thread though.

Here's hoping someone will remember.

Thanks again!

Not to question your wonderful generosity at all, but I'm just curious why you wouldn't want to donate the clothing to your home town's Goodwill or other charity (I'm from Ontario too!:goodvibes )?

Not to question your wonderful generosity at all, but I'm just curious why you wouldn't want to donate the clothing to your home town's Goodwill or other charity (I'm from Ontario too!:goodvibes )?

The OP is looking for souvenier space in the suitcases for the ride home I believe.....:thumbsup2

Thanks - I've been trying to use the forum search function - donate, clothes, charity, etc. - as the keywords. Still haven't found the thread though.

Here's hoping someone will remember.

Thanks again!
Search has not worked on these boards for almost two years now. :badpc:

That's what we usually do.

The OP is looking for souvenier space in the suitcases for the ride home I believe.....:thumbsup2
Yup, exactly for that reason. When my wife suggested it, I thought it was a pretty good idea actually.

Search has not worked on these boards for almost two years now. :badpc:
Yes, I'm beginning to really discover that.

Nice idea and gesture. Call WDW directly and ask. There may be a local church which accepts donations - or a box near DTD.

They really should have a charity -

Where do all the lost and found clothes go?

Where does all the unopened food that people leave in their refrigerators at Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, etc...go?

They really should have a charity -

Where do all the lost and found clothes go?

Where does all the unopened food that people leave in their refrigerators at Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, etc...go?

Unfortunately, probably the trash.

You can take an empty or partially-filled suitcase to Disney. There is no rule saying that all checked baggage must be full.

I used to pack clothes in one and toiletries in the other. :)

Then you can donate at home, if nobody knows where a donation place in Orlando is.

You can take an empty or partially-filled suitcase to Disney. There is no rule saying that all checked baggage must be full.

If we were driving - we would probably do this. With all the recent additional fees for checked luggage and such - it isn't as easy to pack half suitcases only. It doesn't help that the suitcases that are easy to use (pull-handle type), by design have less room due to the handle, and weigh more than a suitcase of the same size that doesn't have a handle. It doesn't take a lot to get them up to the 50 lb. limit.

I'll fully admit, some of the stuff that "needs" to come along takes up space and weight that could be freed up. All the electronic gizmos - cameras, battery charger, etc. The three stuffed animals (for EACH of our two kids) that they absolutely WILL NOT go to sleep without. Breakfast foods - mainly cereal (since were in a Family Suite and can make use of the kitchenette).

We even use the ultimate packing guide from mousesavers and TRY to limit ourselves. But, probably like the last trip, I'll take a look at all we've packed and think - Geez, we're going for an 8 night vacation, we're not MOVING there!

If nobody has a concrete answer by sometime tomorrow, I'll use the previous suggestion about calling WDW for info on this. My guess is to call the resort we'll be at and ask for the conceirge desk - as they are often able to provide guests info on local services. Unless someone else can suggest a better place at WDW to call regarding this question.

Thanks again to all who have replied.

If we were driving - we would probably do this. With all the recent additional fees for checked luggage and such - it isn't as easy to pack half suitcases only. It doesn't help that the suitcases that are easy to use (pull-handle type), by design have less room due to the handle, and weigh more than a suitcase of the same size that doesn't have a handle. It doesn't take a lot to get them up to the 50 lb. limit.

I'll fully admit, some of the stuff that "needs" to come along takes up space and weight that could be freed up. All the electronic gizmos - cameras, battery charger, etc. The three stuffed animals (for EACH of our two kids) that they absolutely WILL NOT go to sleep without. Breakfast foods - mainly cereal (since were in a Family Suite and can make use of the kitchenette).

We even use the ultimate packing guide from mousesavers and TRY to limit ourselves. But, probably like the last trip, I'll take a look at all we've packed and think - Geez, we're going for an 8 night vacation, we're not MOVING there!

If nobody has a concrete answer by sometime tomorrow, I'll use the previous suggestion about calling WDW for info on this. My guess is to call the resort we'll be at and ask for the conceirge desk - as they are often able to provide guests info on local services. Unless someone else can suggest a better place at WDW to call regarding this question.

Thanks again to all who have replied.

:offtopic:
You could save some suitcase space by having your groceries delivered to your resort.

I wonder if there is also a charity where you can bring leftover food and grocery items. We always stay in a Villa and I sickens me how much food and other items (laundry soap, hand soap paper towels, napkins) we leave behind. We hope the cleaning staff takes it home with them.

We have given our unopened food and beverages to bell staff when they come for our luggage and they have always been appreciative. Not sure they would want the clothing, however. Do you plan to launder it before donating it?

I am sure that if the clothes are clean, they would be accepted at any local church.

We have given our unopened food and beverages to bell staff when they come for our luggage and they have always been appreciative. Not sure they would want the clothing, however. Do you plan to launder it before donating it?

Oh, absolutely!

It's only a week we are there, and mainly shorts and t-shirts of a 4 and 8 year old. It would easily fit in one load at one of the washing machines at ASMu. We figured on the last day (no park visits - and our flight doesn't leave until 3:30 pm) we would have time to swim at the resort until noon, and have the laundry going at the same time. We hoped we could drop it off as we leave.

The problem is, we are flying in and using DME - no car rental. I was hoping ASMu would allow an organization that does charity drive pickups to come to the resort to get the clothes.

Doing a little research of my own last night, I discovered that the Vietnam Veterans of America take clothing donations - and have a pickup service in Ocala and Orange counties. Perhaps that's an option.

I finally now understand what you plan to do! I thought you intended to bring EXTRA clothing in addition to your own packing and for the life of me I couldn't understand why you would want the extra load that would entail. :confused3

But you're intending to LEAVE the clothes that your children wear during that week (after laundering them of course) to leave extra room in your luggage!

And that makes great sense! :worship: :cheer2:

I finally now understand what you plan to do! I thought you intended to bring EXTRA clothing in addition to your own packing and for the life of me I couldn't understand why you would want the extra load that would entail. :confused3

But you're intending to LEAVE the clothes that your children wear during that week (after laundering them of course) to leave extra room in your luggage!

And that makes great sense! :worship: :cheer2:
I didn't get it, either. I thought you were hauling to clothes to Orlando to donate them, too.

Your idea is actually a good one that I never thought to do. Wear clothes you want to get rid of and don't take them home! Makes sense. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter