Is this a bit tacky or no?

eliza61

DIS Veteran
Let me say first that I am on the "downhill slide to fifty" so I'm probably a bit behind the times. :teeth:
I recieved a wedding invitation last week and the couple has done a normal bridal registry and they also have a registry where you can help pay for their 10 day honeymoon in WDW. It gives the trip info (resort, ticket plan, etc) and the TA they are usuing. So I'm assuming instead of buying a gift, I send the money to the TA instead. Is it me or isn't the couple supposed to handle their own honeymoon. :confused3

Ahh guys, I don't know about that....

I'd much rather contribute to a honeymoon of their dreams :goodvibes than purchase a pair of crystal candlesticks that get stuck in the attic! ;)

Especially if they are on hard times, or are non-traditional newlyweds that already have everything, etc.

Now that being said; would I have put that on my registery? Nope, but times have changed.

This is a new trend, although alot of people (including me) thinks it is very tacky. To each their own.

saschab said:
Ahh guys, I don't know about that....

I'd much rather contribute to a honeymoon of their dreams :goodvibes than purchase a pair of crystal candlesticks that get stuck in the attic! ;)

I agree- its more tacky to give money (which is standard practice here in NY) if you go by that. Most couples are living together and/or had their own apartments before getting married now a days soooo they don't need another toaster. They do need a WDW trip :lovestruc

Eh :confused3
I wouldn't care, I would probably give more towards their honeymoon. I mean it's what they want and they're only asking for $10. Was the request printed nicely on a piece of paper or scrawled in the ivitation. I might have to reconsider if it wasn't printed and worded nicely.

Growing up in the NY/Metro area, it is a regular practice to give money as gifts for a wedding. The gifts are saved more for an engagement party and bridal showers. I understand the concept of a registry, and used one for our own wedding, however, I think the world is going over the top when we start registering for vacations. I think a blanket gift of money is appropriate, and if they choose to put gift money toward their honeymoon, great! A gift is given from the heart, and not to be put out there as an expectation to receive. JMO.

Another vote for tacky, but I'm coming to realize that the world is becoming more and more tacky every year. People just don't seem to care anymore about tact . . . or ethics or morals, either. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly no Emily Post and I'm far from a goody-goody, but I just long for simpler times when people did things differently.

That said, I'd probably contribute to their "honeymoon" fund somehow - only because if they went so far as to "ask for it," then it must be pretty important to them. I would love for others to contribute to my travel fund, I would just never have the guts to ask for it. Know what I mean?

If you don't want to contribute cash to the fund, send some "Disney Dollars" or something. They'd have something to "open" from you, and then you're not just a name on a list from the travel agent.

Here's to a return to old fashioned lifestyle! Well, just a little. :-)

Ok...my 2 cents here...

Personally I think it's tacky to ask for money for their honeymoon (or whatever). I don't mind bridal registeries - gives you an idea of what they need/want.

I've been to weddings where we've given money instead of purchasing a gift from the registery. I feel whatever they do with the money - that is their business - it was a gift to them from us.

I just think asking for money for their honeymoon (for WDW or whereever) is just tacky.

When my dh & I got married we were happy to get cash & checks as gifts. The cash came in handy for our honeymoon (which we paid for ourselves by the way) :) ; and the checks came in handy to pay bills (from the wedding that we again paid for ourselves).

Just my 2 cents...

I don't think it's "tacky".

Maybe not traditional?

But I would prefer to help people out with their honeymoon. I would prefer to give people what they truly want...period.

I have grown to absolutely hate the whole wedding thing. So many rules you have to follow. Never in my life have I cared about fancy china, crystal, etc. But suddenly, I become engaged and have to pretend I want that stuff. I have to suddenly fit into some traditional mode.

Some people like that stuff. Some people do not. Marriage should not have to be about conforming to what society wants us to be.

If people would rather have vacations than material objects that sit gathering dust....I'd say fine!

But this is coming from someone who occasionally look at her engagement ring and says "I could sell this stupid little thing and get us a weekend at a delux resort!"

As stated earlier, here on Long Island guests usually give money for a wedding gift. Actual presents are saved for engagement and shower gifts. Couples do not include a registry card with a wedding invitation. Since cash is given they may use it towards their honeymoon. (I know we grabbed $500 in cash to take with us to Sandal's back in 1992)
A recent bridal shower had a tradional registry and a place where you could buy meal vouchers for their upcoming honeymoon. Tacky? I don't know. They are simply asking for it, it is your choice to buy it.

In the 90's a friend of mine worked at Tiffany's in Manhattan. She said quite often the bride to be would return every shower gift and get a credit, proceed to the jewelry counter and upgrade that diamond! I think that is hysterical!

What I dislike more are these "save the date" things that are coming 6 to 12 months before the wedding. I think they are silly.

I guess things just change. I remember my mother having a hard time with the idea of a registry. She thought a gift comes from the heart.

You know what's REALLY tacky? When someone sends you a regift and doesn't even take the original To/From card out of it!!!! :rotfl:
Yes that happened to me! It was an UGLY vase. But DH and I just laughed about it. My mom was kind of pissed though.

wrighter said:
Another vote for tacky, but I'm coming to realize that the world is becoming more and more tacky every year. People just don't seem to care anymore about tact . . . or ethics or morals, either. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly no Emily Post and I'm far from a goody-goody, but I just long for simpler times when people did things differently.

Well said. I too lament the loss of manners and ethics in our society. I would have never dreamed of requesting such a thing when I got married, even if we could not have afforded a honeymoon on our own. If I had, my mother would have either killed me or died herself from the embarrassment. :blush:

I also hated the idea of a registry, but it is what it is: A way to help people know what you need. I personally don't like asking for gifts but there were things I could use, and people want to know what to get.

I'd rather give something that they need that falls in my budget, than something that suits me, but might not suit them. To me, that is what giving from the heart is about.

For that reason gift certificates/cards are becoming more common these days, especially for those who already have alot of household goods. The Disney Dollars thing is a great idea.

Folks give money all the time. We used some for spending cash on our honeymoon.

Even non-cash givers fall prey to the "dollar dance" that is traditional in many families. :dance3: I see no difference here.

To participate or not is a personal decision only you can make. :goodvibes

Yeah I think it is a bit tacky. But doing what you want no matter what, seems to be the norm these days.

OT.......

My niece joined the Army and was married before she left bootcamp, less than six weeks and they were married. They dont know if they will be stationed together or not or even if they will be allowed to see each other.

She just came home for leave and had a bridal shower and informed everyone that they are getting married again on their first anniversary so she can have the BIG wedding she wanted.

I didn't really understand the bridal shower because right now he is in Germany and she is in Alabama so what are they going to do with the stuff she got?!?!? Most of it she left at her parents house, until they get out in 3 years!

Luv'sTink said:
Yeah I think it is a bit tacky. But doing what you want no matter what, seems to be the norm these days.

OT.......

My niece joined the Army and was married before she left bootcamp, less than six weeks and they were married. They dont know if they will be stationed together or not or even if they will be allowed to see each other.

She just came home for leave and had a bridal shower and informed everyone that they are getting married again on their first anniversary so she can have the BIG wedding she wanted.

I didn't really understand the bridal shower because right now he is in Germany and she is in Alabama so what are they going to do with the stuff she got?!?!? Most of it she left at her parents house, until they get out in 3 years!

Our 1-yr ann is coming up and we still have most stuff at my parent's house. We just can't fit it in the apt, as much as I'd like to bring it all over here! :guilty: Thank goodness they have A LOT of storage!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter