Is this legit?

jrandtysmom

I'm not cool enough for the Tag Fairy...or maybe I
OK so I've never really understood the whole pin trading thing and why it is important (or even fun) but my friend just returned from Disney and said her kids really got into it and loved it so I was thinking of buying some pins just incase. Well that was until I looked online and saw the price but then I found this "Disney Trading Pins Grab Bag" thing on ebay. Apparently some pins are not tradeable? This thing says that these pins are absolutely tradeable - how do you know the difference?

Generally pins that can't be traded are called "scrappers"

There used to be two Disney licensees who produced "lower quality" pins that weren't allowed to be traded in the parks(Propins and Sedesma) EuroDisney pins were also considered low quality. That is no longer the case but, there is still a hefty trade in knock-off pins, and many well heeled pin traders consider offering a Sedesma bad form. Even the CM's are not that versed in spotting scrappers so if you buy good Disney pins and trade only with CM's there is no guarantee you'll get good pins back.

In my experience auctions that contain the words "100% tradeable" can contain plenty of scrappers.

If you're buying second hand pins, look for pins you like, with good true colours (when is pluto ever slighlty green tinged?), and complete enameling. I don't buy large lots only those where the auctioneer is able to photograph each pin. The people on the collectibles board are very friendly :upsidedow

We let dd9 start trading earlier this year. This trip we bought dd4 and dd2 a starter set (it has the lanyard and 6 starter pins in the set). My girls LOVED it. They spent quite a bit of time trading on this trip and they found it to be a lot of fun. They trade for pins that they like and not so much for the value of them. :thumbsup2 (I have however started pointing out to them the pins they should NOT trade, ha)

We got the kids each their own lanyard and pins. We get them pins every time at WDW, but they have no interest in trading. We couldn't find any of the stores that had the locking caps. Finally found the on one of our last days in AK.
DH even started getting them pins from all the places we travel and put them on a separate lanyard.
Loretta

My DS(then9) got into pin trading during out trip in August. We surprised him with a lanyard and some pins that we got from Ebay. I actually did buy from an auction of "grab bag" pins...it was an excellent deal and the pins looked great to me, nothing fancy just simple character pins. We only wanted them for trading purposes. DS had no problem trading them at all. He had a lot of fun with it too!

disneypintradinglogo.jpg

My family has started pin ta\rading may of last year and we have had a blast with it!!! No one has ever gotten a knock off pin so I guess we were lucky!
But I do know that on our next trip we all have to get new lanyards cause the ones we have now are all full!!! LOL

I don't trade pins, but I do collect ones I like. I bought one of the large binders at the pin kiosk at WL a couple of years ago which I use to put my pins in.

Soni, I wish I had taken a pic to share with you...but this weekend the pin trading place at DTD was packed! They have tables with umbrella's outside where folks with large private collections set up to display/trade their pins.

My girls love getting the pins. They started trading this past trip, and had fun. Although, they do have a problem with deciding which pin they are going to "let go of". lol. You would have thought they were deciding between life or dealth.:lmao: We actually use the pins as a reward. If they have a good day(no fighting or being mouthy) they can pick a pin of their choice before we head back for the night. It has worked out good. Boy my oldest was mad when she couldn't get a pin.

Soni, I wish I had taken a pic to share with you...but this weekend the pin trading place at DTD was packed! They have tables with umbrella's outside where folks with large private collections set up to display/trade their pins.

Some of these "professional" pin traders can be downright nasty. I've had them come right up to me when I had a lanyard on, grab the lanyard and yank it over to them, look at it, shake their heads and throw it back at me. I don't wear a lanyard anymore with pins on it.

Some of these "professional" pin traders can be downright nasty. I've had them come right up to me when I had a lanyard on, grab the lanyard and yank it over to them, look at it, shake their heads and throw it back at me. I don't wear a lanyard anymore with pins on it.

:sad2: Wow, I did notice that they looked very "serious" about thier pin trading.

I buy pins that I like, like musket mickey, and anything with fantasia Mickey on it. And put them on my hats... (hats are the only thing that is disney that actually fits me).

I have never traded any with anyone, Matt was given a buzz lanyard starter kit thingy, but didn't want to take it to the parks to trade, he liked it "just the way it was".

Jim, if someone came up to me and grabbed something of mine without asking, they may pull back a bloody stump!!! I am a little touchy about my "personal space" LOL.

Yea I'm not really interested in collecting pins. Maybe the boys will be but I guess we won't know until our trip. Until then - any good ideas on where to get some pins that don't cost alot for them to start with incase they want to trade when they get there? I don't want to put alot of money out just incase they don't like it or don't want to do it. How much is one of these starter kits and where can I find one?

Gees, I don't really remember. Are they around $20? You can get them at any of the pin places. There is a place in TomorrowLand that the girls found some cute ones, and EPCOT has a ton. I think there was a pretty big pin kiosk at the entrance to HS. They are everywhere.

Does the word buttstroke hold any special meaning?

Your first mistake is being a grown man wearing a lanyard.

We call them pin sharks. They are the reason I lost interest in the whole thing. The bags of them I have stay in the cabinet in the RV. When the DS gets interested, he can have them. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter