Is WDW Room only or package reservation better?

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
We have a bounceback discount for May that does not include tickets but was booked as a package. The AP room only discount is exactly the same. Should I change my booking to room only? It looks like the difference is that I will have more time to make changes and pay the balance, but with the package I can easily make payments online, get a free round of mini golf, and luggage tags. Am I missing anything?

As you mentioned, there are different terms for package vs room-only.

Room-only reservations simply require a deposit equal to 1-night's stay. So that may be a larger deposit than a package but the balance isn't actually due until check-in day, though you can make payments if you'd like. Cancellation penalty will kick-in at 5-days prior to arrival, so you have a longer period of time to make any changes* or cancel.

Package reservations only require a $200 deposit, with balance due 30 days prior to arrival. Penalties kick-in at that 30-day mark, and changes* after that may incur a $50 change fee. Packages do include the "magical extras" like a free round of mini-golf and some shopping or dining discounts. I don't see luggage tags listed for 2024 but haven't heard any reports yet.

*With either booking type, changes are subject to availability and you could lose any discount or promotion if you make changes after the original booking date.

The “magical extras” are a few shopping discounts & the round of mini golf. I find the AP discounts better, plus you also get a discount on mini golf. The package golf game must be used before 4 pm I think. Personally I prefer the flexibility the room only reservations give me over a game of mini golf & a few limited shopping discounts.

The “magical extras” are a few shopping discounts & the round of mini golf.

We got those on a prior Disney trip and most were useless. As I recall, golf discount was only during certain daytime hours when likely most people were at a park. Also a few coupons for shopping at places we weren't interested in. Certainly not a reason to choose one reservation over another.

We typically book room only for the flexibility of being able to change. The "extras" aren't really extra for us.

Definitely switch . . . but . . . you could also call and have your existing package switched to a room-only. Because although you can only make the bounceback reservation within 7 days of checkout, you can modify it at any time. This requires a telephone call. And vigilance. Read the next paragraph.

When we initially made our bounceback reservations, even though we specified room-only, they made the reservations ticketless packages and we had to call back (that same day) and have them changed to room-only. I think the CMs booking the bouncebacks were making these packages no matter what was requested.

So for the sake of ease, perhaps it is better to make the new AP rate rez and then cancel the room-only. You'll still have to call, I'm pretty sure, to cancel the bounceback.

Crunch the numbers. Do the math. This will tell you whether the package or the room by itself is the better deal. Especially since the cost of meals will differ with the package versus with room only.

If you are getting water park fun on your tickets, then the mini-golf that comes with the package is useless. You don't get vouchers for the whole family.

Also there are some reservations that have a mini golf voucher thrown in for the sole purpose of making them into packages and subjecting you to more restrictive cancellation rules.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter