Island Tower at Polynesian Villas & Bungalows

They did the same with the tower at Disneyland Hotel. They just assumed people would use downtown Disney food dinner and didn’t really add any food options outside of the Palm Breeze Bar (which I do like).

Now, how they will transport another 1000 people and properly staff the hotel…. that to me is the million dollar question. It can look like the 4 Seasons…. but will the level of service be the same?
💯 people can say what they want but the Riviera is still 10 mins, door-to-door from one of the best parks that Disney has created and it feels like a calm away from every storm where you don’t ever have to leave it’s walls to eat good food, get great coffee, get on a water slide (fine, you have to leave the building for that one) and even watch some fireworks.

I love the Polynesian, I want more points there…probably…but if they don’t do it right, it’ll be more annoyance and inconvenience than enjoyment.

I feel they're attached because RIV replaced part of CBR. CBR is visible from preferred views and parts of CBR are closer to the RIV Skyliner station that the CBR Skyliner station.
If that’s the consideration than all of Crescent Lake is basically BWV and Yacht and Beach Club are literally one and the same. Some views from the Poly look right at VGF and vice versa. Will you consider the Wedding Pavillion a part of Poly now since it’s closer to the tower than to the Grand?

💯 people can say what they want but the Riviera is still 10 mins, door-to-door from one of the best parks that Disney has created and it feels like a calm away from every storm where you don’t ever have to leave it’s walls to eat good food, get great coffee, get on a water slide (fine, you have to leave the building for that one) and even watch some fireworks.

I love the Polynesian, I want more points there…probably…but if they don’t do it right, it’ll be more annoyance and inconvenience than enjoyment.
10 minutes away….As long as you aren’t afraid of heights, the wind isn’t too gusty, or there isn’t the threat of lightning….

If that’s the consideration than all of Crescent Lake is basically BWV and Yacht and Beach Club are literally one and the same. Some views from the Poly look right at VGF and vice versa. Will you consider the Wedding Pavillion a part of Poly now since it’s closer to the tower than to the Grand?
I think it's a big consideration for sharing amenities.

YC and BC truly are sister resorts and Disney notates that. They share a pool, pastry team, and much more. I would say yes, BCV is attached to YC. BW and BWV are further away, but still close for sharing amenities. You can walk to all of them and two parks. BW/BWV never took a part of YC/BC's land and vice versa.

Poly shares GF's gym because it's so close. They were (and should be in the future) connected via walking path. The Island Tower is pretty close to VGF. If Disney knocked down the Wedding Pavilion to extend the Island Tower, sure I would say it's attached to GF.

10 minutes away….As long as you aren’t afraid of heights, the wind isn’t too gusty, or there isn’t the threat of lightning….
Lol I’ll concede the skyliner isn’t for everyone but it goes down waaaay less often than it functions perfectly as it should. And when it is down, the bus ride is also about 8-10 mins, I’ve timed it once and it was 6 mins but you’re not fully at the gate when you pop out of the bus like the skyliner drops you off at IG so add a few mins.

Lol I’ll concede the skyliner isn’t for everyone but it goes down waaaay less often than it functions perfectly as it should. And when it is down, the bus ride is also about 8-10 mins, I’ve timed it once and it was 6 mins but you’re not fully at the gate when you pop out of the bus like the skyliner drops you off at IG so add a few mins.
I always wondered why Riviera did not do a bridge over the road direct to Epcot (thru Germany) to use when the Skyliner was down - but maybe that just looks doable on maps ... they were able to add two gates into Disney's California Adventure pretty easily for the use of Grand Californian and Pixar Hotel.

I think we should probably be a bit more fair in our comparisons. Riviera is a DVC resort in totality and doesn’t have a Disney Hotel component associated with it to give it more grandeur. The only other resorts like that are OKW and SSR, which are simpler in theming and style. But DVC in general keeps it simpler, likely to do with budget.
The appeal of Riviera to us was that it was DVC exclusive but less condo compared with SSR and OKW and more Hotel in style. We wanted a more relaxed property and you're right that the fair comparisons are SSR and OKW. Riviera is not attempting to be an addition to a larger cash resort (like Poly) and can't really be compared to one.

I would like imagineering to have installed a European faux stained glass ceiling dome rather than the Sonic rings though. And maybe even a little themed bronze statue of Mickey and Minnie like the Asian resorts, but other than BVC and VGF that doesn't happen in the US resorts.

I think it's a big consideration for sharing amenities.

YC and BC truly are sister resorts and Disney notates that. They share a pool, pastry team, and much more. I would say yes, BCV is attached to YC. BW and BWV are further away, but still close for sharing amenities. You can walk to all of them and two parks. BW/BWV never took a part of YC/BC's land and vice versa.

Poly shares GF's gym because it's so close. They were (and should be in the future) connected via walking path. The Island Tower is pretty close to VGF. If Disney knocked down the Wedding Pavilion to extend the Island Tower, sure I would say it's attached to GF.
Hmm I guess that’s one way to look at it. I don’t see it the same way, except for Beach and Yacht Club. Proximity and having an easy path to use the amenities of another resort is definitely a perk of staying in a certain area, sure, but it’s not the same thing as VGF sharing the actual cost of amenities, the grounds and the name of the Grand Floridian Hotel. What you’re saying defines all of WDW; it’s one large resort that we can very easily share and use all the amenities of each of the individual resorts and parks.

I have gone to the Boardwalk plenty of times for pizza and ice cream while staying at RIV but I’ve never been over to CBR, I don’t that makes BWV that any more a part of Riviera then CBR.

I always wondered why Riviera did not do a bridge over the road direct to Epcot (thru Germany) to use when the Skyliner was down - but maybe that just looks doable on maps ... they were able to add two gates into Disney's California Adventure pretty easily for the use of Grand Californian and Pixar Hotel.
I’ve lamented the missed opportunity of adding gondolas/boats to that went from the Riviera to France. A bridge like SSR to DS would have also been an amazing addition.

The appeal of Riviera to us was that it was DVC exclusive but less condo compared with SSR and OKW and more Hotel in style. We wanted a more relaxed property and you're right that the fair comparisons are SSR and OKW. Riviera is not attempting to be an addition to a larger cash resort (like Poly) and can't really be compared to one.

I would like imagineering to have installed a European faux stained glass ceiling dome rather than the Sonic rings though. And maybe even a little themed bronze statue of Mickey and Minnie like the Asian resorts, but other than BVC and VGF that doesn't happen in the US resorts.
I agree Riviera isn’t trying to be an addition but I do think it gets judged unfairly because it’s always compared to the resorts that are additions to grandeur resorts and therefore have that perceived advantage. I know it seems like I’m going hard for Riviera, and I do love the resort, but more, I just think we should have a fair comparison is all.

A stained glass ceiling would have been so special. I’ve always loved the beginning of Beauty and the Beast with the stained glass scene. I totally agree the lobby is its weakest spot and I think DVD has probably heard that plenty considering how much bigger and more detailed the Poly tower lobby looks and even has a more thoughtful ceiling fixture.

I agree Riviera isn’t trying to be an addition but I do think it gets judged unfairly because it’s always compared to the resorts that are additions to grandeur resorts and therefore have that perceived advantage. I know it seems like I’m going hard for Riviera, and I do love the resort, but more, I just think we should have a fair comparison is all.

A stained glass ceiling would have been so special. I’ve always loved the beginning of Beauty and the Beast with the stained glass scene. I totally agree the lobby is its weakest spot and I think DVD has probably heard that plenty considering how much bigger and more detailed the Poly tower lobby looks and even has a more thoughtful ceiling fixture.
But if I stay at the DVC wing of Aulani, or Grand Cal, or Grand Floridian, or Polynesian, or Boardwalk I still get to enjoy all of the amenities of the hotel side. So I don’t think Riveria should get graded on a curve, especially with the cash prices they charge to stay there..

But if I stay at the DVC wing of Aulani, or Grand Cal, or Grand Floridian, or Polynesian, or Boardwalk I still get to enjoy all of the amenities of the hotel side. So I don’t think Riveria should get graded on a curve, especially with the cash prices they charge to stay there.
Then isn’t the reverse true? Aren’t those resorts then being graded at an advantage not because of how great they are individually but because of how great the cash side hotel is? What amenities are specific to the DVC side of those resorts that add value? The resorts you’ve pointed out aren’t being fully graded based on their own merit either, except for Aulani which is another thing all together and was built with both components in mind at the start. Again, the only other exception that comes to mind is Kidani.

For many of the DVC resorts, the appeal and functionality is greatly, if not solely, placed on their attachment to their respective hotels. And that’s obviously not a bad thing, we all love those resorts because of the amenities from the cash-side but we can’t talk about Riviera getting graded on a curve and not acknowledge that all the other resorts are all being given 20 extra credit points for simply building some rooms that sit next to all the hotel side amenities. This is why I thought the Poly Tower would have been better suited as its own association because it would have forced DVD to make sure it stood on its own with its dining and leisure capacity’s instead of relying on the hotel. Tbf, that’s still to be determined, hopefully I’m wrong.

Anyway, this is where I bow out of trying to convince RIV skeptics to see it the way I do (for now😜), maybe one day I’ll get yall! I mean no offense to those who disagree it’s mostly just fun banter.

Anyway, this is where I bow out of trying to convince RIV skeptics to see it the way I do (for now😜), maybe one day I’ll get yall! I mean no offense to those who disagree it’s mostly just fun banter.
As one that really actually loves SSR, think of how it is trying to convince people to see that! (Though, I will say, that I think most people have softened on SSR hate since the renovations, which, IMHO, were extremely well done...)

As one that really actually loves SSR, think of how it is trying to convince people to see that! (Though, I will say, that I think most people have softened on SSR hate since the renovations, which, IMHO, were extremely well done...)
Poor Saratoga, it’s less hate and more apathy I think but I hear you. And although it’s not my favorite, it’s mostly because DS doesn’t really hold much appeal for us for right now, parks are still very much the priority and coming from NY, we solely Disney transportation and Uber only people lol. But the renovations are amazing what a major facelift for the whole resort. If I ever do a multi week stay I’d want to do it at either SSR or OKW just for the peace and space.

Then isn’t the reverse true? Aren’t those resorts then being graded at an advantage not because of how great they are individually but because of how great the cash side hotel is? What amenities are specific to the DVC side of those resorts that add value? The resorts you’ve pointed out aren’t being fully graded based on their own merit either, except for Aulani which is another thing all together and was built with both components in mind at the start. Again, the only other exception that comes to mind is Kidani.

For many of the DVC resorts, the appeal and functionality is greatly, if not solely, placed on their attachment to their respective hotels. And that’s obviously not a bad thing, we all love those resorts because of the amenities from the cash-side but we can’t talk about Riviera getting graded on a curve and not acknowledge that all the other resorts are all being given 20 extra credit points for simply building some rooms that sit next to all the hotel side amenities. This is why I thought the Poly Tower would have been better suited as its own association because it would have forced DVD to make sure it stood on its own with its dining and leisure capacity’s instead of relying on the hotel. Tbf, that’s still to be determined, hopefully I’m wrong.

You are essentially trying to argue that RIV should only be compared to OKW and SSR…. given that logic we should mainly be comparing Poly Tower to BLT and VDH…. in which case Poly Tower would likely come out on top based on lobby and room views alone….

However, I don’t put it past Disney to ruin the rooms with an explosion of over the top
loud IP as they try to convince us that stickers are theming.

Last edited:
I personally think the new Poly renderings look amazing and can’t wait to see what the rooms look like but there are clearly a lot of people who hate it and want more. And the more I think about it, the more nervous I get about how small the new pool is and that 1 restaurant is not enough. Three medium-sized pools for more than 1000 rooms seems incredibly disproportionate. I really hope I’m wrong but I have a feeling they’ve skimped on dining. I think DVD is assuming that most patrons will treat the tower as an extension of the Polynesian Village (and Grand Floridian, given it’s proximity) instead of making it a fully functioning building on its own, adding more strain to an already busy resort. The Island Tower and Riviera are basically the same size and Riviera has a signature restaurant and 3 other QS/dining locations and 2 pools. As a DVC resort, I think Riviera is an amazing addition to the gamut, but there’s never pleasing everyone, we like what we like…or don’t like 🤷🏼‍♀️

This is the ultimate question right? I'm less worried about the pool (adding a 3rd pool that will service around a 30% size increase actually seems about right to me) but I am concerned about the food service and staffing. Clearly there will be a restaurant on the ground floor based on the renderings and supporting documents filed for licenses but we don't know the specifics. What do people think the two floor open areas in the main tower will be? At least one should be another restaurant right? What else could it possibly be? A DVC lounge? Not in both open spots for sure - and not with them being 2 stories tall. Obviously the best case scenario would be for both to be restaurants (one QS and one signature would be amazing!) but I don't want to get my hopes up too high. If a new signature restaurant were going to be ready for opening the tower surely some info would have leaked by now right?

The question of staffing is a big one too. I have heard when BLT launched there were issues but I know nothing about them. I would imagine that restaurant/bar staffing could be the most problematic. Can anyone shed some light on that?

I feel they're attached because RIV replaced part of CBR. CBR is visible from preferred views and parts of CBR are closer to the RIV Skyliner station that the CBR Skyliner station.

I actually find that part of its charm. But, the DVC resorts that have the big theming and a grand lobby, are tied to the hotel and that lobby existed before DVC.

The big difference in the two resorts to start with is whether one wants to be on the monorail to MK or not…if not, then comparing the two becomes less important..

We are not fans of the long houses, and so the tower lost its appeal to own there, even though we much prefer towers, like RIV.

However, I do think being near the MK is a going to help it sell and it’s why I can see them starting it a bit higher to start. DVD can always lower incentives to sell it…which is what they needed to do last year to spark BPK sales at VGF.

It still comes down to opinion and some will prefer RIV and some will prefer PVB tower, but my guess is that a lot of new buyers will be swayed to choose which one is more attractive in pricing.

But if I stay at the DVC wing of Aulani, or Grand Cal, or Grand Floridian, or Polynesian, or Boardwalk I still get to enjoy all of the amenities of the hotel side. So I don’t think Riveria should get graded on a curve, especially with the cash prices they charge to stay there..
The discussion should then be shared DVC resort vs a stand alone DVC resort.

RIV has everything that a shared resort has, but the DVC buildings at the shared resorts currently do not…they rely on the hotel.

And, not that it would ever happen, but VGF and PVB owners only have RTU things like the pools, etc. where RIV owns them….now PVB tower seems to have its own special amenities and it could function as a stand alone resort..
Check in, restaurant and pool…so it’s fair to compare those aspects.

We are not lobby people so for us, those aspects doesn’t add anything…location and actual rooms and situation matter. It’s why RIV is tops with VGF second.

Had PVB tower been its own resort, it would have become a contender to potentially even replace VGF, but after all the talk about how crowded it is in terms of pools, etc. it probably worked out well for my wallet! lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter