issues with airlines

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
I am sorry if this gets long but Im beyond myself now--we were all booked on AA from chicago to london --paid extra for the seats and picked main cabin extra-
Ive been watching the ecomony premium and today decided to see what the price difference was
I got a super nice agent who did some checking and said it would be $600 for the 2 of us which I thought was a good deal--well at least an ok price
so he got everything changed--all was good until I got the email with the changes--
oh yeah there were changes he went ahead and changed our flight times!!!!! so instead of leaving at 605pm were leaving at 915pm

and I even verified the times before we got off the phone!!! I was beyond upset to say the least

so I got right back on the phone with AA and at the very least got everything back time wise but they couldnt refund the credit card for the $600 and gave me a credit--
she did let me pick my seats but I wasnt thinking at the time that I had paid for the main cabin extra so now we just have basic seats and Im sure I lost the money that I had paid extra for--

also I had were coming home on British (since I guess there partners with AA) and somehow lost the seats I paid extra for there as well

none of this was even my fault--all I wanted to do was basically surprise my DH with a little extra space with seat size and legroom
does anyone know of anyway I can fight this to at least get back what I had originally paid for--especially now with this credit that I know we wont use

I was thinking for trying to dispute it with the CC since I didnt want to change times and the agent told me everything was the same--not its not the same
any ideas or thoughts

I am sorry if this gets long but Im beyond myself now--we were all booked on AA from chicago to london --paid extra for the seats and picked main cabin extra-
Ive been watching the ecomony premium and today decided to see what the price difference was
I got a super nice agent who did some checking and said it would be $600 for the 2 of us which I thought was a good deal--well at least an ok price
so he got everything changed--all was good until I got the email with the changes--
oh yeah there were changes he went ahead and changed our flight times!!!!! so instead of leaving at 605pm were leaving at 915pm

and I even verified the times before we got off the phone!!! I was beyond upset to say the least

so I got right back on the phone with AA and at the very least got everything back time wise but they couldnt refund the credit card for the $600 and gave me a credit--
she did let me pick my seats but I wasnt thinking at the time that I had paid for the main cabin extra so now we just have basic seats and Im sure I lost the money that I had paid extra for--

also I had were coming home on British (since I guess there partners with AA) and somehow lost the seats I paid extra for there as well

none of this was even my fault--all I wanted to do was basically surprise my DH with a little extra space with seat size and legroom
does anyone know of anyway I can fight this to at least get back what I had originally paid for--especially now with this credit that I know we wont use

I was thinking for trying to dispute it with the CC since I didnt want to change times and the agent told me everything was the same--not its not the same
any ideas or thoughts
It's a little confusing. For the departing flight, you currently have a $600 credit, but you're back in the "normal" seats? So, if you'd like, you can use that $600 to upgrade the seats. That amount seems high to me for two seats, but if you're happy with it, go for it. I can't speak for AA, but Delta allows you to do everything online. You go into your reservation, click on the seat map for the individual flight, and then select another seat.

As far as the return, call back to AA (whoever you booked the return flight with), and CALMLY explain the situation. You had paid for the extra room seats already (I assume you have some kind of receipt showing that) and want them back.

I'm sorry to say, yes, this IS at least partially your fault. Making sure the agent understands the request and fulfilled the request ("OK, we're now in seats 13A & B, still on flight 123, right?) IS your responsibility.

I noticed a price change after booking a flight to London 2 weeks ago I called AA and the agent gave us the same flights at the lower price. I got a very nice agent who gave me a credit voucher toward another flight
She also gave us the same seats we paid extra for.
I would call AA again and explain your situation They seem to be reasonable and work with you. We saved quite a bit She even said if the price went lower to call back!
Good Luck.

well somehow I was able to get our seats back coming home
I just went to BA and went through change seats and was able
to put in the seats I had originally had and went right to
confirmed so I printed out the sheet so I have proof in case
anything else comes up--not sure how that first agent cancelled our seats
on BA since even though were booked on AA both ways our flight
home says operated by BA
so half the battle is done

now to get back with AA about our seats--
the second person I talked too also doesnt understand
how this all happened--the only thing she thought of
was that he put us on a cheaper flight it would have been
nice if he would have said something
and I even verified everything stayed the same except
we were in premium economy
what a mess and all I wanted to do was upgrade our seats

its funny too casue I purposely called since I had to get the difference in price but Im always afraid Im going to mess things up and I thought by calling they could do the upgrade since they know what there doing
maybe Im better off doing things on my own LOL
after all I got my seats back on BA

There had to be a miscommunication somewhere. I've got to agree with @FCDub, you are probably better off just leaving things alone. Just watch to make sure flights don't change too much.

You might want to send a DM to AAs Twitter team to see if they can refund the extra charge. I would write a shortened account of what happened. They seem to sometimes have more power to make things right. Here is what I'd write to them:

Hi AA. I called to upgrade my ORD-LHR flight (AA86) from economy to premium economy and was quoted $600 total for 2 passengers. The agent processed the upgrade but put us on a different flight, operated by a different carrier (BA). At no time did I approve a change in carrier or flight time. While we were able to be placed back on our original flight in our original class (economy), the agent could not process a refund of the fare difference back to credit card. It was refunded in the form of a credit which is not acceptable to us. Please refund the charge of $600 back to my credit card ending xxxx. My record locator is XXXXXX and name is Dznypal N. Coach.

OP, you also might want to re-check fares to see if other AA flights have cheaper premium economy. Here is a screenshot of one way flights ORD-LHR. All three AA flights leave within 2 hours of each other. And the price difference between coach and PE is around what you were quoted. I would take any of the later flights in Premium Economy over coach everyday of the week....even the 9:15pm BA flight.

1688311780244.png

What we usually do is book the fare that’s good for us. Then we see how our money is going and upgrade as a special treat. Now I’m going to be worried about doing anything. On a fun deal we did another Europe trip and as we were checking in to come home we were stopped saying bee needed new boarding passes oh was that sweet we were upgraded to the little compartment seats. The ones that the seats unfold into beds. That was great

What great advice disneychicagoguy. However since I have no clue how to do this. Anyway you could guide me. I’d totally appreciate it. How do I even find there twitter team. Thanks really appreciate this. I also like how you wrote it all out.

Hi AA. I called to upgrade my ORD-LHR flight (AA86) from economy to premium economy and was quoted $600 total for 2 passengers. The agent processed the upgrade but put us on a different flight, operated by a different carrier (BA). At no time did I approve a change in carrier or flight time. While we were able to be placed back on our original flight in our original class (economy), the agent could not process a refund of the fare difference back to credit card. It was refunded in the form of a credit which is not acceptable to us. Please refund the charge of $600 back to my credit card ending xxxx. My record locator is XXXXXX and name is Dznypal N. Coach.
The bolded didn't happen though. The OP, presumably booked on AA for the entire trip, is on an AA flight TO London, and a BA flight on the return. That's been from the start (as indicated on past threads). I'm assuming the BA flight is an AA code share, so it really shouldn't matter WHO is operating the flight.

The bolded didn't happen though. The OP, presumably booked on AA for the entire trip, is on an AA flight TO London, and a BA flight on the return. That's been from the start (as indicated on past threads). I'm assuming the BA flight is an AA code share, so it really shouldn't matter WHO is operating the flight.
Technically an unrequested change in operating carrier, according to the DOT, is grounds for a full refund if the OP was so inclined. Just because AA codeshares with BA and slaps an AA flight number on the BA flight doesn't mean you have to accept that change. There are a ton of reasons why partnerships like this are good for the consumer....but buying a flight on AA and then being moved to a BA operated flight versus an AA flight is not the same thing. I've had this happen booking AA mainline and being moved to a regional partner and gotten full refunds. Sometimes it took a DOT complaint. But most times just citing AA's Contract of Carriage gets the desired refund/change I desire.

All that being said, I would have 100% stayed on the 9:15pm BA flight. Their PE is better than AA's and i perfer the latest flight I can get when going to Europe when flying from Chicago. Unfortunately that didn't fit the OP's plans.

What great advice disneychicagoguy. However since I have no clue how to do this. Anyway you could guide me. I’d totally appreciate it. How do I even find there twitter team. Thanks really appreciate this. I also like how you wrote it all out.
Do you have a Twitter account? If so, go to the AA twitter account ( and ( https://twitter.com/americanair) and send them a private message by clicking on the envelope at the top (screenshot below). If you don't have Twitter I'd sign up. While I personally hate pretty much all social media, Twitter is helpful with many companies just for this reason. 95% of my Twitter interaction is travel related...mostly airlines.

Once you click on the envelope type your message on the right hand side. They will get back to you pretty quick. If there is tons of weather issue it could take a bit of time. But most times I usually get a response within 30m.

Getting a competent phone agent will always be the best outcome....and AA has the best of the big 4 US airlines in my opinion. But unfortunately in your case I've always found finding a phone agent willing to fix a previous agent's mistake can be tricky. The Twitter team has more leeway to make things right.

1688319811790.png

Technically an unrequested change in operating carrier, according to the DOT, is grounds for a full refund if the OP was so inclined. Just because AA codeshares with BA and slaps an AA flight number on the BA flight doesn't mean you have to accept that change. There are a ton of reasons why partnerships like this are good for the consumer....but buying a flight on AA and then being moved to a BA operated flight versus an AA flight is not the same thing. I've had this happen booking AA mainline and being moved to a regional partner and gotten full refunds. Sometimes it took a DOT complaint. But most times just citing AA's Contract of Carriage gets the desired refund/change I desire.

All that being said, I would have 100% stayed on the 9:15pm BA flight. Their PE is better than AA's and i perfer the latest flight I can get when going to Europe when flying from Chicago. Unfortunately that didn't fit the OP's plans.
It wasn't a change. The original booking was AA to London and BA operated return.

thanks so much chicago disney guy for the great info I will for sure be doing that
also Ive made another baby step getting this fixed
I did a chat with a supervisor who said I will get a refund for when I picked my seats in main cabin extra
so Ill rebook what I had and wait for the refund

and I will be trying the twitter
and hear I thought it would be fun to do something special and upgrade--lesson learned

It wasn't a change. The original booking was AA to London and BA operated return.
The OP doesn't mention changing to BA on the outgoing flight in her post (I don't think - I have trouble following her posts) but the screenshot of flight options from chicagodisneyguy show that the 9:15pm flight (which I think she was initially changed to) is operated by BA. So, it does look like the agent changed her to a flight on BA for the outgoing leg. Though she was changed changed back.

Just to recap hoping to clear up any questions

When I first made the booking I was on AA website the best time for us was the 605pm which is listed as an AA flight. Coming home the best time was the 335pm which said operated by British air. I really don’t understand this codeshare. Just going by what’s on the website Yesterday when I called for the price that’s when the agent just changed the flight time without telling me even when we got off the phone and I said nothing changed right and he said yes. Strange to today I asked the supervisor how much just for fun it would be to upgrade to the PE she said1040PP. I’m staying where we are now.

Just to recap hoping to clear up any questions

When I first made the booking I was on AA website the best time for us was the 605pm which is listed as an AA flight. Coming home the best time was the 335pm which said operated by British air. I really don’t understand this codeshare. Just going by what’s on the website Yesterday when I called for the price that’s when the agent just changed the flight time without telling me even when we got off the phone and I said nothing changed right and he said yes. Strange to today I asked the supervisor how much just for fun it would be to upgrade to the PE she said1040PP. I’m staying where we are now.
Code share explainer: https://www.forbes.com/advisor/credit-cards/travel-rewards/codeshare-flight/

If I understand your post, the previous rep changed your flight and upgraded your seats for $600. According to the quote I posted, upgrading your seats on your CURRENT flight would have been $1040. So, you could have spent $600, gotten the upgraded seats, but lost 3 hours. There was a miscommunication somewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter