It’s a...WDWKOOK LIVE TRIP of FIRSTS! TRIP SUMMARY PAGE 17!

@WDWKOOK Your RPC check in and first impressions were very similar to our experience in February. I checked in at the CL desk and the he acted the same as your lobby CM. Overall I thought the CMs were rather cold the whole time, nothing particularly endearing. At times I found myself questioning if I needed to be a "regular" there for anyone to even say hi. Overall we enjoyed our stay, but I'm not sure it matched the price tag or hype, at least in my view. Hope things pick up!

I feel the same way about this experience.

There is another DISer at RPC right now too -- I believe she just checked in today maybe? She posted in the CL thread -- maybe it's just hit or miss on the CM's and hopefully you just hit a "bad" time and things will get better!

Well, of course, just like the one in the Tower Club Suite who thought it was great! I think that everyone has different expectations and different past experiences which can influence their feelings. For me, this just doesn't measure up to what I know a "top shelf" resort can do. The room wasn't even cleaned to what I consider an acceptable standard for this category of resort.

Oh no!!!! I sure hope it gets better for you Kook. Totally unacceptable!

I'm disappointed, but I've lowered expectations for tomorrow;)

KOOK I hope it gets better for you but it was the exact same way for us when we returned in Feb. to the RPC after a very long break from it. At check in no one wanted to be bothered with bringing us upstairs and the CM all seemed so impersonal and so out of touch. The only time I spoke to a CM on the third floor she didn't have a clue and was giving me the wrong info. on the pool operations. When I told her that I thought she had it wrong she just laughed and commented that they don't tell her much and I could go down and check for myself. Seriously!? The first day I kept telling myself it would get better but by the third day I was so ready to head over to the BWI CL! I can't say the CM were down right rude but the smiles seemed so false and the whole attitude was uncomfortable and I have no interest in ever returning.

I have sensed already that there's a level of insincerity with non-management and non-concierge level CMs. This morning, the CMs seemed fed up with the guests - and I had just gotten there, so I don't think it was me! I have to say that I've seen and heard awful guest behavior over the years, and I imagine it gets to the CMs eventually, but that is a part of their job that they need to handle diplomatically.

I have to smile when I read this because we were at the RPC at the same time in Feb. Cold is the perfect way to describe the CM attitudes at the RPC. Your right for the price we all paid to stay at the RPC they could at least pretend to be a little bit friendlier!

I've learned that price and status isn't commensurate with the quality of experience, at least not with Disney CLs.

Wow I go to an adr and I missed two pages today. Strange they told you only one bus. I was on a bus with no on else and two other buses showed up same time at ak.

Seriously though I'm not thinking your cl experiences are turning out so great this time. How did your room at least turn out this time? And what resort is rpc?

(Snarky) and I still have my tree view just so you know.

Are there any cute squirrels in that darn tree? ADRs can take a whole lot out of you.

I can't handle buses to MK from BC/YC, especially knowing how quickly I can walk there from CR. I was lucky to be first on at YC, but BC is the second stop and they all had to stand. Why on earth can't they have a separate BC bus for those poor people?

That view and your room!! Wow, looks great! Food looks very good too. Hoping things are going better for you!

The view is amazing and the room is well, roomy, especially for one. I didn't really think the appetizers were good. The 3 hot items were either fried or greasy. The cheeses were lovely though and the chilled carrot ginger soup. I had two since there were only about 2 spoonfuls per dish.

Looks like your not-so-great check-in experience turned out okay...:flower:

My room wasn't ready until 3:10 and bags weren't onsite until 4:10, so it was a slow-moving day.

You have a gorgeous room. :) And the food looked good.

I'm not a fan of the food here yet, at least not the hot items, maybe tomorrow will be better.

Where was the cobbler ????

Exactly!

That is a nice sized room. How many does that room sleep? We never tried RPC but felt the same way at GF SL. The CMs were the coldest we have ever seen. Anytime we asked for something it was that we were bothering them. I was hoping RPC would be different.

It has a queen sleeper sofa and two queens so it much be 6 plus one under 3?

The morning CMs were like you experienced and the afternoon/evening CMs were cordial.

This has to be the noisiest room I've ever been in at WDW, at least during the evening till after the fireworks. I requested, but didn't get, a room on the side of the bldg. facing the pool and Poly so that I would be far from the lounge. I got the opposite of my request, just like what happened at Tower Club with those two connecting doors! This room seems ideal since there's no one on one side, nor a connecting door, but there is an alcohol storage room next door. During the day, the CMs are in there frequently and it sounds like they're pounding on the walls because of the shelving.

The guests were very loud tonight and you can hear everything from the door and through the walls. I've not experienced this high level of lounge activity, except at Tower Club...I thought this was the off season?!

So that this TR doesn't take on an entirely negative tone, I want to emphasize that I have nothing negative at all to say about my CR Tower (non-CL) room experience. That is one category of room that over the years has actually improved, and very much so recently. CR has made a concerted effort to offer even more amenities that separate it from other Deluxes and make it a positive and unique experience.

The overall theme is lackluster CL CMs I think unfortunately. @WDWKOOK my friend :hug: (yes more hugs) your RPC check in was much like mine unfortunately. I had high hopes that the Grand would blow you away after last year's stay. I will admit I am a wee nervous about my upcoming BC CL stay now, but I did love the resort so there's that. And my winter trip to Poly....well it's BWI CL now ;) Your RPC room looks lovely, as do the breakfast pics :)

WDWKOOK - I can't believe this is RPC! So different from when we were there 4 years ago. Does Disney wonder why attendance is down with that kind of service and quality? Let me get this straight, RPC has to pay someone to put yogurt in to glass cups? Disney is complaining about revenue being down. Why not just buy the cups of yogurt.

Question. The pictures of the mirror in your room looked like they had black spots on them. Is it that the camera picked something up in a reflection or are there spots on the mirror?

Thanks again for your TR I love it!

First RPC impression: Underwhelmed, surprised, and unimpressed - thus far, it's early in the game though so I am withholding final judgment.

I'm sorry your check in and overall experience hasn't been so great :(. I was really hoping you would love it!

Thanks for the pics. Love your room and the view to the right of the Poly :cloud9:.

I can understand if you have to take a long flight. Mine is only 2 hours.

Mine is only 2 hours as well, I just don't like to fly alone :laughing:.

The view is amazing and the room is well, roomy, especially for one.

Glad you like the room and view :goodvibes.

WDWKOOK- My husband just reminded me of an incident during our last stay at the RPC that shows if you spend enough money you CAN buy service. We were sitting in the lounge having breakfast when we noticed two hotel guests and a CM walk off the elevator. The CM brought the guests over to the food that was being served, and seemed to be explaining things to them and then brought them over to the coffee serving area and did the same thing. I then saw him introduce her to two other CM and there were smiles all around. They then walked by us and I heard the CM say that it was this way to the room. My husband and I just looked at each other and we were both thinking that it was totally different from the welcome that we received!

The next day we were walking down the hall to our theme park view room and just before we came to the suite the door opened and the two guests that we had seen the day before in the lounge came out. It was the suite right across from the elevator down to the pool. That answered some of the extra service questions for me. It was a woman and it looked like her teen age son and I didn't recognize either one of them as being famous. I said hello to them as we passed in the hall but neither one of them spoke:). Just our observations.

There is another DISer at RPC right now too -- I believe she just checked in today maybe? She posted in the CL thread -- maybe it's just hit or miss on the CM's and hopefully you just hit a "bad" time and things will get better!

Hi, that's me! We checked in Saturday about 11:30 am. We were coming from the airport & arrived by Towncar. We weren't greeted outside & had to find valet ourselves to take our luggage. But as soon as we walked into the building, we were greeted by a CM in a suit. He introduced himself as a guest experience manager & was standing with 2 CMs with iPads. He asked our name & said they were waiting for us. He then introduced one of the CMs with the iPads. She had our packet & offered to take us to the lounge. I hadn't done online checkin, so she checked us in as we went upstairs. She did confirm that we were repeat guests so asked if we remembered the desk on 3 etc.

I think the fact that we came in from the airport in a Towncar helped our experience. I think the guard had time to notify them we were there & RPC.

Sorry you are running into less than stellar cast members. Everyone has seemed friendly so far to us. Hopefully it will get better for you. We love to YC tomorrow, I hope the food selection there has improved. They have had the same selections, especially at 5 - 7, for years, so I'm not too hopeful.

Enjoy the rest of your trip, Kook!! Hope the rain holds off for both of us! :goodvibes

Question. The pictures of the mirror in your room looked like they had black spots on them. Is it that the camera picked something up in a reflection or are there spots on the mirror?
Those are intentional spots! In person it looks nice! Makes the mirrors look old/antiqued.

Reactions: TJA
Disney deluxe resorts historically have been the gold standard in my opinion and concierge level has taken them to a platinum status. We have stayed three times at Wildeness Lodge CL prior to the recent changes there and all three were the most enjoyable experiences we have ever had. With all the comments being made, it makes me question if Disney has decided to have the barest minimum CL experience for guests now because at the end of the day it really is not an profitable focal point anymore in the suits opinions. Look where WL is going now. DVC is where the money is at and Disney is changing accordingly. It is a real shame, I hope I'm wrong. But it doesn't look like they care anymore about the repeat CL guest.At least it appears from Kook's comments that non-CL is still a thumbs up.

Last edited:
This has to be the noisiest room I've ever been in at WDW, at least during the evening till after the fireworks. I requested, but didn't get, a room on the side of the bldg. facing the pool and Poly so that I would be far from the lounge. I got the opposite of my request, just like what happened at Tower Club with those two connecting doors! This room seems ideal since there's no one on one side, nor a connecting door, but there is an alcohol storage room next door. During the day, the CMs are in there frequently and it sounds like they're pounding on the walls because of the shelving.

The guests were very loud tonight and you can hear everything from the door and through the walls. I've not experienced this high level of lounge activity, except at Tower Club...I thought this was the off season?!

So that this TR doesn't take on an entirely negative tone, I want to emphasize that I have nothing negative at all to say about my CR Tower (non-CL) room experience. That is one category of room that over the years has actually improved, and very much so recently. CR has made a concerted effort to offer even more amenities that separate it from other Deluxes and make it a positive and unique experience.

Is your room the first room on the right as you leave the lounge to go down that hallway? Our room in Feb was the third door down and we never heard anything from the lounge, but I remember thinking that those first one or two doors, even though in the hallway, are pretty open to the lounge area. And I know that storage room you're talking about - saw several CMs rolling a cart in/out of there during our stay.

FWIW, CR was doing some kind of work inside in the wee hours of the morning last night (not sure of what time since no clocks in room!). Woke up a couple of times to some loud hammering. It was relatively short lived and not awful, but did wake me up briefly.

Had a busy weekend and just got caught up! @WDWKOOK... your check-in experience at RPC sounds just like my nephew's experience last month there. He was so disappointed with the entire check-in/first day at RPC that he seriously considered asking to be moved. Luckily things turned around for him the next day but he's vowed he'll never spend that type of $$ again.

Disney deluxe resorts historically have been the gold standard in my opinion and concierge level has taken them to a platinum status. We have stayed three times at Wildeness Lodge CL prior to the recent changes there and all three were the most enjoyable experiences we have ever had. With all the comments being made, it makes me question if Disney has decided to have the barest minimum CL experience for guests now because at the end of the day it really is not an profitable focal point anymore in the suits opinions. Look where WL is going now. DVC is where the money is at and Disney is changing accordingly. It is a real shame, I hope I'm wrong. But it doesn't look like they care anymore about the repeat CL guest.At least it appears from Kook's comments that non-CL is still a thumbs up.

I have to say that I personally have seen a steady decline in CL stays. We usually like to try and stay CL every other trip but I struggle to see the value anymore - it's not like it used to be and I have to agree that it does appear that they don't care about the repeat guest anymore. With that said, DH & I will be staying YC CL next month for a few days and we'll see how it goes. Next year, I'm hitting a milestone birthday and I really wanted to do Disney in a BIG way for our family vacation, was even considering RPC but the more I see and hear, the more I'm thinking no CL and spend the extra $$ on different experiences - we'll see....

KOOK- I hope there are some magical moments in store for you on this trip! I wonder what WDW management would think if they were reading this. It is sad that something you always loved to do, staying CL, has been so disappointing. I have faith that you are going to make this right somehow and seek out what will make you happy.
As for the $6.00 newspaper: we get the NYTimes delivered daily and the Washington edition is $2.50, so that's quite a mark-up!

The overall theme is lackluster CL CMs I think unfortunately. @WDWKOOK my friend :hug: (yes more hugs) your RPC check in was much like mine unfortunately. I had high hopes that the Grand would blow you away after last year's stay. I will admit I am a wee nervous about my upcoming BC CL stay now, but I did love the resort so there's that. And my winter trip to Poly....well it's BWI CL now ;) Your RPC room looks lovely, as do the breakfast pics :)

It's inevitable to have high expectations of the tippy-top CL, but I knew that between your experience and others, the level of service probably wouldn't match the price.

Just curious, why BC when I thought BWI was the new hands down CL winner?

WDWKOOK - I can't believe this is RPC! So different from when we were there 4 years ago. Does Disney wonder why attendance is down with that kind of service and quality? Let me get this straight, RPC has to pay someone to put yogurt in to glass cups? Disney is complaining about revenue being down. Why not just buy the cups of yogurt.

Thanks again for your TR I love it!

Yes! Someone is back there scooping yogurt into teeny tiny cups! That aren't refrigerated! I asked today if they are fat free since they aren't labeled (they are). I've never stayed at any CL that does this, but maybe they all do this now? There have always been two yogurt choices in the fridge at WL and cartons of skim milk so you can get it anytime. They remove it here after breakfast and you have to ask for it. I prefer it for my decaf in the evening.
image.jpeg

Trisha answered your question about the mirror. I don't find it aesthetically pleasing. It looks like someone was shooting it with paintballs.

Another cost savings: All alcohol is CM poured. At times the lines can get long and guests like to chit chat with the CM, too so that can slow down the process. The line can also semi-block your way over to the elevators and food area.

Thanks for the pics. Love your room and the view to the right of the Poly :cloud9:.

Glad you like the room and view :goodvibes.

You're welcome:). The view of so many Disney icons is almost overwhelming: Spaceship Earth, Poly, CR, MK, the monorail, Wishes, the ferry and hearing the WDW Railroad - amazing.

WDWKOOK- My husband just reminded me of an incident during our last stay at the RPC that shows if you spend enough money you CAN buy service. We were sitting in the lounge having breakfast when we noticed two hotel guests and a CM walk off the elevator. The CM brought the guests over to the food that was being served, and seemed to be explaining things to them and then brought them over to the coffee serving area and did the same thing. I then saw him introduce her to two other CM and there were smiles all around. They then walked by us and I heard the CM say that it was this way to the room. My husband and I just looked at each other and we were both thinking that it was totally different from the welcome that we received!

The next day we were walking down the hall to our theme park view room and just before we came to the suite the door opened and the two guests that we had seen the day before in the lounge came out. It was the suite right across from the elevator down to the pool. That answered some of the extra service questions for me. It was a woman and it looked like her teen age son and I didn't recognize either one of them as being famous. I said hello to them as we passed in the hall but neither one of them spoke:). Just our observations.

That may in fact be suite protocol, but maybe not. I bet they aren't consistent with suite guests either.

Who you first encounter on any vacation really sets the tone, good or bad. It's too bad Disney doesn't stress this to their check-in staff. We all know what it feels like to be so excited to finally be on vacation, arrive at the resort, and get in the room we've booked months out and dreamed about. The guest and CM interaction is pretty much front loaded so if they could just make that right, it would help immensely.

Hi, that's me! We checked in Saturday about 11:30 am. We were coming from the airport & arrived by Towncar. We weren't greeted outside & had to find valet ourselves to take our luggage. But as soon as we walked into the building, we were greeted by a CM in a suit. He introduced himself as a guest experience manager & was standing with 2 CMs with iPads. He asked our name & said they were waiting for us. He then introduced one of the CMs with the iPads. She had our packet & offered to take us to the lounge. I hadn't done online checkin, so she checked us in as we went upstairs. She did confirm that we were repeat guests so asked if we remembered the desk on 3 etc.

I think the fact that we came in from the airport in a Towncar helped our experience. I think the guard had time to notify them we were there & RPC.

Sorry you are running into less than stellar cast members. Everyone has seemed friendly so far to us. Hopefully it will get better for you. We love to YC tomorrow, I hope the food selection there has improved. They have had the same selections, especially at 5 - 7, for years, so I'm not too hopeful.

Enjoy the rest of your trip, Kook!! Hope the rain holds off for both of us! :goodvibes

First rain for me was tonight, but I was indoors. Looks like thunderstorms my last day tomorrow. Hope you don't get wet on your move over to Regatta Club. Are you taking the bus from MK? Bell Services delivers resort transfer bags between 1-4. YC delivered them at 2:30 and GF delivered them at 4:15.

I went in the wrong way, I came from the boat - no CMs with iPads there! I'm sure by not going in the front and then heading right to the front desk, I threw the process off. But, once they found a runner, it still didn't improve the process.

The hot items were tastier tonight. Spring rolls with a mustard sauce and a wonderful pork belly that melts in your mouth:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Loaded potato salad:
image.jpeg

Our fondest CL memories were also of the OFC. Since Randy the manager of 4 years left to go to CR, many other changes have also occurred, so for us, it's not really magical anymore.

The new guest doesn't have a past Disney experience with which to compare so I guess that's the new target audience. It's also as if they think we only stay at one Disney resort and we won't know what's happening at others. Maybe that's why they don't care about the inconsistencies?

The only time out of my 3 check-ins in one week that anyone said "welcome back" was when I had to find a manager here in the lobby who would give me a card to access CL. Since my room wasn't ready, I couldn't get up to CL when I came back from MK. The runner or front desk CM should have taken care of this at 0930 when I checked-in. When I told the manager I couldn't get up there he looked at his computer and said, "Wow, you really love WL and CR...welcome back!" No one else acknowledged me as a repeat customer.

Kook........ Did you....... ???

Oh, my, that would be hilarious!

Did you move? The suspense....o_O

No, no, didn't move. Went to AK and stopped at Poly on the way back for my tradition of a Kona Kone and Lapu Lapu (and an entree in between).
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Love that walkway...I love all walkways;)

image.jpeg

Had a busy weekend and just got caught up! @WDWKOOK... your check-in experience at RPC sounds just like my nephew's experience last month there. He was so disappointed with the entire check-in/first day at RPC that he seriously considered asking to be moved. Luckily things turned around for him the next day but he's vowed he'll never spend that type of $$ again.

I have to say that I personally have seen a steady decline in CL stays. We usually like to try and stay CL every other trip but I struggle to see the value anymore - it's not like it used to be and I have to agree that it does appear that they don't care about the repeat guest anymore. With that said, DH & I will be staying YC CL next month for a few days and we'll see how it goes. Next year, I'm hitting a milestone birthday and I really wanted to do Disney in a BIG way for our family vacation, was even considering RPC but the more I see and hear, the more I'm thinking no CL and spend the extra $$ on different experiences - we'll see....

"It's not like it used to be" is so accurate! I frankly have no need for it anymore. While it's nice being on a dedicated floor, even those rooms are hit or miss. When I changed from Tower Club to non-CL, I almost felt relieved. I had no more unmet expectations and I had total freedom to not feel obligated to eat or drink anything I didn't really want. But, I still had the exact same room amenities as CL.

Like your birthday, I looked at this trip as a present to myself and I'm glad I tried it, but I wouldn't do it again. The value, intrinsic and extrinsic, just isn't there anymore for us.

Here is what I paid for these rooms, which includes tax and a 40% military discount.

GF RPC Deluxe: $625
BC GV/WV: $275. The YC LV room would have been $325, but the upgrade was comped.
CR Tower Club: $475
CR Tower, non-CL BLV: $365

I am in no way feeling RPC is worth $260 more per night than my amazing CR non-CL room and it certainly isn't worth $150 more than the Tower Club room. And, while the (comped) partial LV YC room can't compare to this room and view, those differences aren't worth $300 more per night, nor are the food and beverages. I think these are fair comparisons that do highlight that these CL rooms are getting more and more overpriced with less being offered.

Last edited:
Several cute squirrels in my tree.

You know this trip your non club level food has looked yummy. So yummy in fact my day at AK I went to dinner at one of your stops. So see some positive in there. Oh and rain never really materialized today another bonus.

Wait where is that Mickey waffle cone cotton candy thing? I want one! For the diabetic coma alone it might be worth it.

@WDWKOOK - here is the yogurt setup every morning in Atrium Club this past weekend. At least it's on a refrigerated tray! But I agree, I'm not a fan. I don't like not knowing the ingredients, kind, etc.
image.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter