Items you are surprised by the price of?

Also the price of meat, all meat is just crazy.

I recently got steaks for 3.99 a pound and thought it was a bargain.
I used to pay 1.99 on sale.
Its just cheap steak for Fajitas and such, but crazy.

Lately they don't even show the price, its 30% off.

Deli meats. I refuse to pay $10-12/lb for ham! I bought a nice sliced cryovac 3 lb ham which I will bake, serve as a meal and then we can enjoy sliced ham. It was $3.99 a lb. I'm getting creative.

$5-6/lb for hamburger is crazy. I had $2.99 roast beef ground for me at the supermarket. They are glad to do it and I see exactly what goes into the meat.

Bread products. We like those sweet dinner rolls, but I won't pay $5 for a package of 12. We have been buying bags of frozen dough rolls that look like gofl balls. I lay 12 out on foil that has been sprayed and place plastic wrap over. In about 4 hours they have risen and I bake for 10 minutes yum! 36 rolls in a bag for about $4.50.

Bread products.
Forgot about that one. Yeah bread is crazy.

I purchased a bread maker for making pizza dough, but the cost of bread went nuts.
4 Pretzel rolls are $5. A loaf of bread can be as high as $9-$10 depending on the bread.
So now I also make various other breads and pretzels with it.
For the 100 it cost me, I've more than broke even already.

I bought an 18 ounce box of Cherrios on close out at Walmart for $1.49. Pumpkin Spice flavor.
I still have a full box of those. It came with the apple cinnamon ones I wanted last fall. Turns out no one I know likes pumpkin spice.

Deli meats. I refuse to pay $10-12/lb for ham! I bought a nice sliced cryovac 3 lb ham which I will bake, serve as a meal and then we can enjoy sliced ham. It was $3.99 a lb. I'm getting creative.

$5-6/lb for hamburger is crazy. I had $2.99 roast beef ground for me at the supermarket. They are glad to do it and I see exactly what goes into the meat.

Bread products. We like those sweet dinner rolls, but I won't pay $5 for a package of 12. We have been buying bags of frozen dough rolls that look like gofl balls. I lay 12 out on foil that has been sprayed and place plastic wrap over. In about 4 hours they have risen and I bake for 10 minutes yum! 36 rolls in a bag for about $4.50.
My husband taught himself to bake using You Tube. He now has a stand mixer, a set os USA pans and various tools. He has been buying flour , powdered milk etc in 50lb bags and storing in plastic containers. He now bakes all of our bread, rolls, baguettes, pita pockets, and recently attempted blueberry muffins. He enjoys it. He used to make beer but stopped drinking so this is his new hobby. It’s saving us a ton too. Oh and last year we added an Ooni pizza oven so he can make pizza. Once I perfect the sauce we will be good. We finally got the dough and the cheese sorted. We initially started how you did.

Oh and last year we added an Ooni pizza oven so he can make pizza. Once I perfect the sauce we will be good. We finally got the dough and the cheese sorted. We initially started how you did.
Got the Ooni as well.

Still struggle a bit with launching the pizza and not making a mess - about 50/50.

For sauce I just use these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077K8J467/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1 - they are very good quality from Italy and reasonable for what you get IMO, also small packs so less chance of waste.
May be cheaper to get from Amazon Fresh if you have one near you or order from them.

Much better than dealing with those giant cans.

I also get the frozen cubes of minced garlic from trader joes, or crushed from walmart (their brand)

Then roll out the dough, put the olive oil on the dough then the Italian seasoning, crushed pepper\garlic etc.. the tomatoes on that. No need to make a sauce at all. Far better than anything I can buy locally.

Got the Ooni as well.

Still struggle a bit with launching the pizza and not making a mess - about 50/50.

For sauce I just use these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077K8J467/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1 - they are very good quality from Italy and reasonable for what you get IMO, also small packs so less chance of waste.
May be cheaper to get from Amazon Fresh if you have one near you or order from them.

Much better than dealing with those giant cans.

I also get the frozen cubes of minced garlic from trader joes, or crushed from walmart (their brand)

Then roll out the dough, put the olive oil on the dough then the Italian seasoning, crushed pepper\garlic etc.. the tomatoes on that. No need to make a sauce at all. Far better than anything I can buy locally.
Thanks for the tips! I’ve been buying crushed Italian tomatoes, grow fresh basil and using fresh garlic but there is something not quite the same as when we buy pizza. Galbani. Low moisture partial skim mozzarella is the best. We’ve been getting it at BJs but the bag is huge!
We also use the dough for calzone once in a while.

Thanks for the tips! I’ve been buying crushed Italian tomatoes, grow fresh basil and using fresh garlic but there is something not quite the same as when we buy pizza. Galbani. Low moisture partial skim mozzarella is the best. We’ve been getting it at BJs but the bag is huge!
We also use the dough for calzone once in a while.
Yup - that is the cheese we get. Finding Crisp and Cup pepperoni is the biggest challenge for me.

You must have good local pizza places then - everything around here is dominoes quality.

There is one place, but I will not set foot in it because its such a dive. Its beyond dirty. My brother worked there - and he wont eat there, but people love it. People even happily call it dirty (insert name here), but still go there.

Edit - one other thing which I did not buy into until I tried, use 00 flour for the dough.

Last edited:
Milk just went over $4 a gallon this week, and eggs are back up to $3.60 a dozen. Now that there are 5 of us I have gone back to getting staples at Walmart, so I'm still paying $2.50 a loaf for "brand name" bread (Freihofer's). I can usually catch a sale on DH's Mountain Dew; right now a 6 pack of the 16oz (I think) bottles is about $4 with tax and bottle deposit.

However, in general, I am always shocked by how much everything costs overall these days. Fortunately, if I shop carefully I can usually get SOME sort of chicken for under $2 a pound, but steak is another story, and burger is around $5 on sale, which kills me... $15 for meat to make meatloaf??? We don't have Aldi or any of the other low-cost stores here, and I am not a fan of produce or meat from Walmart (spoils so quickly), so we're kinda stuck.

Milk just went over $4 a gallon this week, and eggs are back up to $3.60 a dozen. Now that there are 5 of us I have gone back to getting staples at Walmart, so I'm still paying $2.50 a loaf for "brand name" bread (Freihofer's). I can usually catch a sale on DH's Mountain Dew; right now a 6 pack of the 16oz (I think) bottles is about $4 with tax and bottle deposit.

However, in general, I am always shocked by how much everything costs overall these days. Fortunately, if I shop carefully I can usually get SOME sort of chicken for under $2 a pound, but steak is another story, and burger is around $5 on sale, which kills me... $15 for meat to make meatloaf??? We don't have Aldi or any of the other low-cost stores here, and I am not a fan of produce or meat from Walmart (spoils so quickly), so we're kinda stuck.
We don't use much milk other than for baking and I have switched to dry whole milk for that - used to be dumping milk all the time - so no more waste.
Its rare we buy milk, but that will have a nock on affect to lots of other products I'd assume.

I used to make fun of my parents with they would talk about getting a giant candy bar for a nickel....now its not so funny anymore...

My DD asked for 2 concert tickets for her birthday, i went to buy them and the total was around $300. When I went to check out, it jumped to over $450, because they added “fees”. $150 in “fees”?? What the heck is that?

So to post something positive, make sure you browse around Lowes.

Things get marked down there all the time and you just find them randomly. I picked up a $300 Chamberlain garage door open for $67, less 5% off for my Lowes credit card - so a bargain. They still sell it for $300 ship to store.

Picked up some several grill covers marked down from 40 for $7 and a week later as spring is around the corner they are marked back up :crazy2:

Also if you need to replace a door, they always have an area with cancelled returns. I picked up a door that was marked down to 79 from 150. It rang in it at $15. Similar with a shovel, was marked down to $16 and rang it at $4 - I grabbed three more as I break them all the time.

Also - some supermarkets give a free item every week to rewards members - you just have to check the app all the time. I know they are tracking up - so so is everything. Last week it was a package of chorizo - and this week queso. So Chorizo Tacos for dinner last night. I'd gotten shells as the free item a while back and never used them.

Last edited:
soda in general-12 packs of coke products are running $9.99 here :faint:
I know , it's crazy. What's even crazier is one week it's that price, the next Kroger is offering it at b2g2 free. So if you can sell it like that, which comes to about $5 a 12 pack, why sell it the previous week for double?

Not feeling the new price of Diamond Crystal Kosher salt. I believe a one pound box sold for $3 to $4.00 until an article came out in a food service trade paper saying the company was doubling the price simply to keep up its status with chefs. Then the New York Times blabbed it to the rest of the world, 😆.

A local supermarket is now charging 9.99/lb. I’d use Morton’s or a generic version but then I’d have to recalibrate recipes (Morton kosher salt has more sodium per gm than Diamond) and it’s not worth the effort.

We've reliably had weekly sales of $1.99/box lately. They seem to rotate brands, this week it's Post or Quaker.
I am honestly shocked at those of you with those low prices. Granted, pumpkin cheerios are way out of season so I can see that being discounted to get rid of them. However, there is nothing near that price where I am in NY state.

On the plus side, all the products I complain about are not necessary foods. I just don't buy cereal or soda! Only time I want soda is something like ginger ale when someone is feeling nauseous or just feels like a different drink.

Bread and meat I buy because we do eat them almost every day.

DH's favorite cereal is Shredded Wheat with Bran (yeah, he is pretty boring sometimes). Right now, it's $5.89 a box. I found it at the IGA for $3.88 yesterday. I took a long look at the "best by" date (Oct 2024) and bought 10 boxes. Saved myself a pretty penny in the long run, even though I got some funny looks for spending $39 on a whole lotta cereal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter