It's a Marshmallow World...at New Year's!The End! Future trip?? 7.21.14 Update

"the guys found a bench and Madison and I wandered the shops!" Hmmmm, that sounds familiar. :rotfl:

Mmmm I agree with Madison. Strawberries equals GOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Hehe, I guess it goes without saying that even being in a "fancy" restaurant, it's still easy to be reminded you're in Disney World "boopboopboop".

I think I fall more in love with World Showcase each and every visit. There's never a bad view.

"the guys found a bench and Madison and I wandered the shops!" Hmmmm, that sounds familiar. :rotfl:

Mmmm I agree with Madison. Strawberries equals GOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Hehe, I guess it goes without saying that even being in a "fancy" restaurant, it's still easy to be reminded you're in Disney World "boopboopboop".

I think I fall more in love with World Showcase each and every visit. There's never a bad view.

I think you will be hearing lots more of "the guys did this while Madison and I did that" in future posts! :rolleyes1

There could be a lot worse than that game in "fancy" restaurant at WDW so I try not to complain too much!!

World Showcase has so much to offer and the more I explore, the more I love it. I think some people look at the surface and miss so much.

Back to Epcot!!!

(If this post seems snarky...it isn't really but I certainly could have had reasons too be!!:laughing:)

Sunday morning came bright and early...well, early but there were lots of clouds! I wasn't going to let the gray skies dampen my excitement for the day! No Way! I had things planned that were tops on my list and I was EXCITED!!!!!!!!:banana::banana::banana:

Eventually we all are up and dressed and ready to head to the bus stop. One great thing about the FPP was not having to be at rope drop...in retrospect, one of the down sides was not being at rope drop! The more I think back, the more I realize that by not making it to the parks early may be one reason I feel like I left so much at WDW this trip. Maybe, just maybe, rope drops and arriving early so you can fit things in plus allow down time in the afternoon, is what makes the trip just a little bit better. (At least for me...I know everyone tours differently but I think I have found what makes it worth while for me!)

Anyway...I make my way out to wait for everyone and take a few pictures:

In looking through my pictures, I have realized I waited for everyone A LOT in this spot!! :rolleyes1

We finally arrive at Epcot at 9:50 am and make it through the bag check and tapstile (note it is no longer a turnstile...;)) with no issues!

We do not have any FP to run for so what should be the first order of business!? Breakfast!!!! Or perhaps this late in the morning I should say brunch!!

Sunshine Seasons is our destination of choice! I choose to not eat a lot since our lunch ADR is not long off. I try to remind Chris and Keith of this but in typical male fashion...it falls on deaf ears!

Madison and I share a bounty platter while Keith and Chris have their own:

After we eat, we try to decide what to do next. Since we have FPP for Test Track, we can't get FPP for Soarin' (BOO to the tiered system!) and the stand-by wait is now around 80 minutes so that isn't happening. Living with the Land has a wait of about 20 minutes and no one wants to wait.

Our FPP for the day include Test Track, Mission Space and Spaceship Earth. Mission Space FPP is for 11 am but no one wants to ride it. So wasted FPP #1. Oh and we rode Spaceship Earth the previous night...so that will be wasted FPP #2. And none of the other options in Tier 2 are desired by anyone in my family so basically our 3 FPP for the day is now down to 1 and we will be missing out on Soarin' because that isn't an option. Just a little frustrating!!!

Anyhoo...we decide to forfeit the Mission Space FPP and go to Universe of Energy.

This isn't an attraction we frequent every trip so no one has gotten bored with it...as the guys seem to have gotten with everything else! :furious: We actually enjoy this attraction and maybe it is because it isn't done so often!

So we make our way inside and get ready for Jeopardy to begin...

But then Jeopardy becomes Ellen's dream/nightmare and we are transported through time to the time of the dinosaurs. And after we get the low down on energy and where it comes from...45 minutes later...we make are exit and try to decide what to do next!

Everyone seems to be in agreement to make our way to the one place you can quench your thirst for FREE!!!!

There were some new flavors added and some of them were pretty tasty!!!

Of course The Beverly is still there but we are all wise to this vile concoction and choose to avoid it like the plaque!!!! ::yes::

We are all sufficiently re-hydrated with soft drinks and exit. However we seem to have lost a member of the family. So I re-enter to see if I can locate her...

There she is!!!!!

Now that everyone is back together we make our way to one of my favorite locales to shop!

Keith waits on a bench (is anyone, anyone AT ALL, surprised by this!?!?!) while we go in, look around and make a few purchases which we have sent to our resort. That is one major perk of staying onsite that I love!!!

We exit the store but Keith has wandered away and while we search for him...I see two of my favorite mice all decked out for the holidays!!

Oh, and Pluto too!!

Now it is almost time for our FPP! And then lunch at another new restaurant! Plus the guys...well, they become party poopers! :rolleyes1 Probably more semi-snarkiness to come but this day is too big for me to let anything really bother me!! Stay tuned all!!!

It's nice to read a good review of Chefs. I've read a lot of reviews saying that it was just so-so and most included comments about rude staff. Seems like you avoided both. :thumbsup2

We haven't used the new FP system yet so I don't know how I feel about it. But, I can totally see what you were saying about being a bit frustrated with it. And, with standing around waiting on others. ;) You are like me and want to go go go and some of my bunch want to laze around.

Yay for seeing Ellen's Universe of Energy. We all get giggles from it.

Mmmmmm, Seasons is the one place I love to go for breakfast in the parks. I have to at least once on a trip. Love it.

Yeah, the tiering and one FP per ride really shows the lack of options at Epcot. Thank goodness for World Showcase.

I think I might do Ellen's Energy more often if it wasn't FORTY FIVE MINUTES LONG!!!! Just way to long for me.

Bahahahaha, that Club Cool photo cracks me up. Almost like a "Where's Waldo."

It's nice to read a good review of Chefs. I've read a lot of reviews saying that it was just so-so and most included comments about rude staff. Seems like you avoided both. :thumbsup2

We haven't used the new FP system yet so I don't know how I feel about it. But, I can totally see what you were saying about being a bit frustrated with it. And, with standing around waiting on others. ;) You are like me and want to go go go and some of my bunch want to laze around.

Yay for seeing Ellen's Universe of Energy. We all get giggles from it.

The reviews I had heard in the past had me a little afraid but we were extremely happy!! Hopefully a lot of kinks will be worked out by the end of May and maybe they will have even changed a few things...I hope so anyhow! I think you and I could go, go, go and leave John and Keith to talk on their phones and sleep on a bench somewhere!! :lmao:

We really enjoy Universe of Energy too...and, yes, giggle along too!!

Mmmmmm, Seasons is the one place I love to go for breakfast in the parks. I have to at least once on a trip. Love it.

Yeah, the tiering and one FP per ride really shows the lack of options at Epcot. Thank goodness for World Showcase.

I think I might do Ellen's Energy more often if it wasn't FORTY FIVE MINUTES LONG!!!! Just way to long for me.

Bahahahaha, that Club Cool photo cracks me up. Almost like a "Where's Waldo."

I adore Epcot but the more I go, the more glaring the missing attractions seem to be! I miss the Future World of my childhood! And, I totally agree with you, the tiered FP makes this even more evident! But that just gives me more time in World Showcase!! :thumbsup2

45 minutes isn't a waste when no one seems to want to do much else and World Showcase isn't open yet! :rotfl2:

I was thinking the exact same thing about "Where's Waldo"!!!

Okay, I subbed a little while ago so I wouldn't lose your report! I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to get over here my dear friend! But I'm commenting on everything now. I just can't wait to see how New Year's went!

Wow! I didn't realize so much went into the planning of this trip! Changing along the way. It's happened to me many times before.

I'm telling you though, New Year's pricing is crazy!

I do wish that Pop wasn't two double beds. It's a definite drawback. The 60's is a great section though!

Wow, the order your own tacos look really yummy!

Yeah, DHS is MGM to me. It was for the longest time, so I always think of it that way. But for sake of consistency, I call it DHS in my TR's.

I love the ease of use with the MDE app. Changing is so easy. I love the flexibility of it the most.

Yup, 180 minute wait for TSM. That's the New Year's time I'm very familiar with. :rotfl2:

I'm not a fan of the tiering either. I think some of this is them testing some stuff out though just to see. I'm keeping an open mind to see what happens.

Chris and Keith not getting the Osborne Lights. Well, it's their loss, right? :rotfl:

I'm completely done with snow here. We've had almost 70 inches this winter. Yup, I'm over it.

I must be one of the people that has never had a bad experience at Chefs de France. Food has always been good for me, and we've never had bad service. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the meal there.

OMG! I can't stand the parents that just give their kids electronics at the table. It's ridiculous. What on earth did we do back in the day when we didn't have something to entertain us?

Hahaha. Love the Dodgeball reference. My favorite is still "if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball!"

Rope drop definitely does give you the ability to relax, even on short trips. We always do it.

Looks like it ended up being a really lovely evening in EPCOT! You are really making me want to try Chefs. I am like - have made that ADR so many times only to cancel it. We are actually working in a trip this coming October so I may have to put it back on the list of possibilities.

I am interested to hear what the boys did the next day to become such party poopers! :scared:

I love Chefs de France. Anytime I can get Escargot is a good time.
Oh I so agree about the volume on electronics. Drives me nuts and I have said something about it to people.
Seemed like a magical first day.
I hate the new FP+ system, they really need to make it better and I hope they do.
All caught up again.

I just found your TR and as usual....it's GREAT!!!

SNOW!!! Now for some reason, I didn't realize this happened! I am shocked I didn't know this! I read and research so much, but then it was a good surprise so maybe missing out on reading something can be a good thing!! Thing is, the things I did know about--like the cat and razorback--I didn't bother with because of crowds and trying to not push it by leaving Keith and Chris on that stoop too long. Really it was all good...it just means there is more for my next trip!!

I wonder if this is a recent addition to include snow? When DW and I were there Dec, 2010, they didn't have it the night we were there. It makes sense though and I'll look forward to it when we go December, 2015!

We ate at Les Chefs de France for the first time this past October, 2013 and we liked it as well. Our main reason was to see Remy since he was leaving soon, never to return. We were pleasantly surprised that the meal was pretty good too!

Keep up the great TR....looking forward to more! :cool1:

Okay, I subbed a little while ago so I wouldn't lose your report! I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to get over here my dear friend! But I'm commenting on everything now. I just can't wait to see how New Year's went!

I totally understand taking a while...I do all the time! :rolleyes1

Wow! I didn't realize so much went into the planning of this trip! Changing along the way. It's happened to me many times before.

I'm telling you though, New Year's pricing is crazy!

It was all so crazy! I had like at least five trips planned with various options since I had no idea what was going to happen!

I do wish that Pop wasn't two double beds. It's a definite drawback. The 60's is a great section though!

Huge drawback...but not a deal breaker!!

Wow, the order your own tacos look really yummy!

So very good!! :thumbsup2

Yeah, DHS is MGM to me. It was for the longest time, so I always think of it that way. But for sake of consistency, I call it DHS in my TR's.

I love the ease of use with the MDE app. Changing is so easy. I love the flexibility of it the most.

I did love the flexibility! A lot of stress was gone and since I am a planner...all the pre-planning was no biggie!

Yup, 180 minute wait for TSM. That's the New Year's time I'm very familiar with. :rotfl2:

:sad2: When the wait for walk on rides are long...you KNOW TSM will be a nightmare!!

I'm not a fan of the tiering either. I think some of this is them testing some stuff out though just to see. I'm keeping an open mind to see what happens.

I hope that soon, they will begin tweaking the policies and things will be better. I am hopeful for my next trip!

Chris and Keith not getting the Osborne Lights. Well, it's their loss, right? :rotfl:

I just don't get them sometimes!!

I'm completely done with snow here. We've had almost 70 inches this winter. Yup, I'm over it.

I can't even fathom that much snow!! We had the terrible icing and then a threat Valentine's week that resulted in snow days but nothing happened. Yesterday the high here was 50 and tomorrow in the 70's but then next week back to the 40's. Half my office has been out sick this week...I can't imagine why!! :scratchin

I must be one of the people that has never had a bad experience at Chefs de France. Food has always been good for me, and we've never had bad service. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the meal there.

LOVED it...but then I think you got that!! :rotfl:

OMG! I can't stand the parents that just give their kids electronics at the table. It's ridiculous. What on earth did we do back in the day when we didn't have something to entertain us?

I often wonder what we did... I know my parent's would have not allowed the noise level though! :rolleyes:

Hahaha. Love the Dodgeball reference. My favorite is still "if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball!"

Rope drop definitely does give you the ability to relax, even on short trips. We always do it.

I love that quote too! I laugh every time even though I have seen it a million and one times! Rope Drop is a must from now on! At least for me!! I really missed it!

Looks like it ended up being a really lovely evening in EPCOT! You are really making me want to try Chefs. I am like - have made that ADR so many times only to cancel it. We are actually working in a trip this coming October so I may have to put it back on the list of possibilities.

I am interested to hear what the boys did the next day to become such party poopers! :scared:

I have made and cancelled ADRs there so many times. Now Madison may force the "must" issue and no more cancels! But it was so great!! I think you may appreciate what had their minds occupied!

I love Chefs de France. Anytime I can get Escargot is a good time.
Oh I so agree about the volume on electronics. Drives me nuts and I have said something about it to people.
Seemed like a magical first day.
I hate the new FP+ system, they really need to make it better and I hope they do.
All caught up again.

I could not talk them into the Escargot but I love it, so next time I probably will pull rank!! It was a magical day! I'm crossing my fingers on the FP+ improvements!

I just found your TR and as usual....it's GREAT!!!

Yay! Welcome!!! I still must get back to your TR!

I wonder if this is a recent addition to include snow? When DW and I were there Dec, 2010, they didn't have it the night we were there. It makes sense though and I'll look forward to it when we go December, 2015!

The snow really added to the magical feeling! December 2015 will be here before you know it!!

We ate at Les Chefs de France for the first time this past October, 2013 and we liked it as well. Our main reason was to see Remy since he was leaving soon, never to return. We were pleasantly surprised that the meal was pretty good too!

Keep up the great TR....looking forward to more! :cool1:

I hate we missed Remy but we will return for the food!!

Wow...time flies when you're having fun! We have been busy and when I think I will do an update...I am falling asleep at the computer and didn't think you would want to read..."And then we demdnfdknf dc cddkncwknc" But I am awake now so here we go! We have been at Epcot and had breakfast and rode Universe of Energy and tried out the new flavors in Club Cool. Now it is time to use a FastPass!!!

Test Track!!

It was now time to use our Fast Pass for Test Track! Keith decided he didn't want to do this one, so he waited on a bench while me, Chris and Madison went in to have a little fun!

A really cool car as we moved quickly through the line:

It took no time at all before we were in line to enter the Design Studio!!

Madison and Chris were excited and ready to get this show on the road!

The doors open and we enter in to see if we could design the perfect car! When we were here in March 2013 the new Test Track had just opened and we had mechanical failure on the design portion. Thankfully this time it went off without a hitch!

Madison and Chris took turns making design details...such good brother/sister cooperation!!

A very futuristic cop car was the end result!

Before we knew it, it was time to go for a test ride!!

A few pictures as we rode...some good and some not so great!

Here we go!!

In the words of Ricky Bobby "I want to go fast!!!!!"

Continued in the following post...

Our ride picture wasn't very inspired...some may say it was an Epic Fail...

But we have proof we were there at least!!

And our car's final results weren't too terrible!

We exited and found Keith on a bench just outside. Madison and I actually were slower exiting since we are doing a pressed penny project (which unfortunately will roll into two trips since we didn't finish). We had stopped at the pressed penny machine so when we exit we find Keith on the bench and Chris on his phone...what they do best!!!

Up Close and Personal with the Fishies!!

By this time it was getting close to 12:30 pm so we decided to make our way to The Living Seas. The ride wait was about 25 minutes but too long for our ADR time so we made our way into the aquarium section.

(I think I went old school....;))

We visited with the manatees for a short while...

Then it was time to check in for our ADR which was at 1:15 pm.

A few things here: 1) This was the Candlelight Processional Package, 2) There aren't a lot of choices when you make ADRs late and it is New Year's week, 3)Keith doesn't like early meals, 4) There aren't a lot of options when you make ADRs late the week of New Year's, 5) Keith doesn't like to eat big meals early in the day, 6) There aren't a lot of....well, I guess you get the idea!! ;)

We didn't have to wait long for our table...maybe 15 minutes or so but we were seated by the actual ADR time! The kids and I ate here in 2009 and enjoyed the meal but the server left a lot to be desired! I have been hesitant ever since due to poor reviews on the food but our server was really very un-Disney like. But I thought this might be a good opportunity!

For the few that may not know about the Candlelight Processional Package: You get an appetizer, an entree, a non-alcoholic beverage and a dessert. It takes two credits and you get a ticket for seating at one of the performances of the day. Our dining time gave his seating in the first performance at 5:15 pm. You also get a special sitting area for Illuminations.

Keith had no plans to go to the performance but we were all eating under the package. Keith mentions several times that this is too much food for lunch...I mention many times that I had explained all of the ins and outs. Maybe he wasn't listening...:confused3

We get seated in a pretty decent area but not near the aquariums.

We were actually on the top level but we could still see the fish well.

They have a neat little guide to help you identify the different fish and also it has some great facts!

We try to see if we can identify any of the fish:

Okay...time to get serious! What to order? What to order??

While we try to decide, the server brings out rolls:

Another view of our surroundings:

Madison goofs off a bit...

Our server was decent. Nothing to boast over, but friendly and got the job done efficiently!!

Continued in the following post....

Now what did we eat?!?!?!

Keith and I decided to share our appetizer. This counted as two of the credits:

Appetizer for Two - Crab Cakes with tropical fruit salsa, tequila aioli; Crispy-fried shrimp with Coral Reef Slaw and spiced remoulade; and a taste of our Creamy Lobster Soup $16.99

The crab cakes were yummy!! I love crab cakes and they did not disappoint! The fried shrimp were very good too. I also really like the lobster soup. Keith DID NOT...fine by me! I got two!!!

Chris and Madison chose the same appetizer:

Coral Reef Sriracha Shrimp - $12.99

These were the same as on mine and Keith's, but there are so many that neither could finish their appetizers!

For the main entree, I ordered the Grilled Mahi Mahi - with Laughing Bird Shrimp, Hearts of Palm, Jasmine Rice, Cilantro, and a Coconut-Lime Sauce $25.99

Very, very good!! I loved this dish!!!

Madison and Keith went for Grilled New York Strip Steak - served with cheddar mashed potatoes, seasonal vegetables and peppercorn sauce $32.99

Both ate most if not all. Madison enjoyed it but said the steak the previous night at Chefs de France was better. I am not positive about Keith's real opinion since he was grumbling about too much food so early in the day....

Chris ordered the Orange Ginger-glazed Scottish Salmon - with Vegetable Stir-fry $23.99

Extremely good! I stole a bite so I say that honestly!!!!

Then it was dessert time!! Keith and Chris both declined because they were too full! Remember I had warned them lunch wasn't too far off when they ate that huge breakfast at 10 am!? Yea, so they were full now! But Madison and I both ordered the The Chocolate Wave* - served with Raspberry Gelato $8.49

And a view of the yumminess waiting inside!!

Had we paid out of pocket for the meal, for what we ordered the cost would have been $187.91 not counting tax and tip. That is without two desserts which would have added another $15 to $17. The package was $53.99 each so without tax or tip = $215. Had the other two desserts been ordered, we would have been close to $205. Considering the convenience and knowledge of seating later in the day for the Candlelight Processional...Totally Worth It!!!! According to my receipt, it was printed at 1:59 pm so we still have some time before we need to line up at the theater!!

Over all, the meal was good and filling. Not the best but far from the worst experience. We will definitely return to Coral Reef!!

Up next, we make our way to World Showcase and then the split!!! ;)

Wait, Keith went to a bench??? What are the odds?

Haha, that pic of Keith and Chris cracks me up. Did the lady on the bench have cooties? :lmao:

Wow, I've heard so much about the CP package lately. I mean granted there are a lot of Christmas time TR's, but still, a lot of people did this. Having a special Illuminations area is completely new to me. I may have to consider this some day.

Wait, Keith went to a bench??? What are the odds?

Haha, that pic of Keith and Chris cracks me up. Did the lady on the bench have cooties? :lmao:

Wow, I've heard so much about the CP package lately. I mean granted there are a lot of Christmas time TR's, but still, a lot of people did this. Having a special Illuminations area is completely new to me. I may have to consider this some day.

If you ever bet on Keith finding a bench...you'd be in good shape!! :rolleyes1

I had not thought about how Chris and Keith were sitting...:lmao:

The CP package is most definitely the way to go! I like how they have special viewing areas at the parks now! I would like to take better advantage of it myself!!

I can totally see where/how the package would be worth the expense/credits. I'm with Keith when it comes to eating a big meal at lunch time. But, then again, our trips are during times when it's super hot out and we'd be walking around miserable the rest of the day.

just catching up but enjoying your TR ... can't believe how much you got to/done that first day - I was getting tired just reading it!

The Candlelight package sounds like a good deal but definitely need to be prepared for a larger lunch and sounds like Keith was not / chose not to be which is kind of a bummer as it makes it seem like not good planning when, especially given the relative short planning window, it was!

I can totally see where/how the package would be worth the expense/credits. I'm with Keith when it comes to eating a big meal at lunch time. But, then again, our trips are during times when it's super hot out and we'd be walking around miserable the rest of the day.

I really fall in this opinion too! Our prime eating time is 6 pm to 7:30 pm and most ADRs fall somewhere in that time period. And usually the thought of eating midday on hot days makes me ill! But the package is definitely worth while!

To full for desert! OH! the humanity!!!

Exactly! I will forego eating the rest of my meal to save room for dessert! :goodvibes

just catching up but enjoying your TR ... can't believe how much you got to/done that first day - I was getting tired just reading it!

The Candlelight package sounds like a good deal but definitely need to be prepared for a larger lunch and sounds like Keith was not / chose not to be which is kind of a bummer as it makes it seem like not good planning when, especially given the relative short planning window, it was!

Usually I don't get tired from our days until I start recounting them...then I can't believe all we did!! :rolleyes:

My biggest issue with the package and finding the right time was simply getting a restaurant Keith would like. All of my choices (for lunch or dinner) was Nine Dragons or Marrakesh which Keith doesn't care for at all. The Thanksgiving trip plans were perfect...perfect restaurant (Chefs de France) and time! Planning late just makes it hard...especially during a busy week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter