It's been 549 days but we are finally home! ~ an August '21 birthday celebration! New PTR link 01/02

Hey, we could have been neighbours! Where does your husband's family live? If you do come to visit and you end up near Toronto we will have to meet up!
His uncle and aunt lived just off Young Street near the Rose and Crown bar ( we spent a lot of time in there and loved the roast beef au jus sandwich) and he has one cousin in Mississauga and another in Goderich. My close friend from nursing school lives in Alberta so people dotted about the place. I would love to go back to Toronto some day.
Curious question....have you ever heard of NICE (Northern Ireland Children's Event)? My father was very involved with it in the 90's.
People like your dad are absolute heroes. They offered kids a chance to see how life could be and how we share more similarities than differences regardless of faith or nationality. Never underestimate the profound effect those trips had on the lives of those who took part. A lot of kids from my school and neighbourhood took part in a program like that in the 70s & 80s. Some went to Canada and others the US. I got to go to Ballycastle, County Antrim ( an hour away) and Fermanagh (1 1/2 hours away) :rotfl: To be fair we were quite well off compared to many and my family holidayed every year so my parents weren’t keen on me taking the place from someone more in need but yeah, grew up in a war zone. Luckily had great parents and family and friends from all sides of the community.
Most of the children were from areas quite hard hit by the troubles. They were so amazing to meet and loved their experiences on PEI.
Growing up in Belfast was interesting to put it mildly. Nursing during the troubles definitely an education and tough emotionally and physically. I’m sure the kids adored their time away. I was always struck by the lack of noise and tension when we travelled. No helicopters/shooting/ riots or bombs. Didn’t really realise how tense we were until we went on holiday. Feel very lucky to have come through it all pretty unscathed though I would not want it for my children. Grateful to live in mostly peaceful times ❤
Also that was the first time I ever heard about brown sauce....the kids couldn't believe we didn't have it at camp. Once we worked it out that it was HP sauce, all was good.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Last edited:
People like your dad are absolute heroes. They offered kids a chance to see how life could be and how we share more similarities than differences regardless of faith or nationality. Never underestimate the profound effect those trips had on the lives of those who took part. A lot of kids from my school and neighbourhood took part in a program like that in the 70s & 80s. Some went to Canada and others the US. I got to go to Ballycastle, County Antrim ( an hour away) and Fermanagh (1 1/2 hours away) :rotfl: To be fair we were quite well off compared to many and my family holidayed every year so my parents weren’t keen on me taking the place from someone more in need but yeah, grew up in a war zone. Luckily had great parents and family and friends from all sides of the community.
Awww, thank you! Prince Edward Island has very close ties to Ireland. When Dad heard about NICE he knew he wanted to be involved. We met so many fabulous people through the years. You are right, simply seeing that people of different faiths can live peacefully together was a big eye opener for some of those children. You must have seen so much growing up which I am sure shaped you into the caring, compassionate person you are.
Growing up in Belfast was interesting to put it mildly. Nursing during the troubles definitely an education and tough emotionally and physically. I’m sure the kids adored their time away. I was always struck by the lack of noise and tension when we travelled. No helicopters/shooting/ riots or bombs. Didn’t really realise how tense we were until we went on holiday. Feel very lucky to have come through it all pretty unscathed though I would not want it for my children. Grateful to live in mostly peaceful times ❤
:hug: All we want is for people to live in peace and safety.

I mostly ate the coconut soft serve which was delicious

Mmmm, I loved it too! Not quite as much as the PP float, but super yum, yums!
Nothing better than a poolside lunch!

Nope. This is a correct statement.

If you guessed Geyser Point, you would be right! We settled in at the bar and soon had drinks in hand.

Just adore that place. :lovestruc

going for the Crispy Salmon Croquettes with Miso Tartar Sauce.
Oh wow, does that ever sound great!

I'm back online for some much-missed DISTime. I really missed reading reports and keeping caught up. I think we are feeling a bit back to normalish at least in our household after the storms. :)

Mmmm, I loved it too! Not quite as much as the PP float, but super yum, yums!
A Peter Pan float is always a good option too!
Nope. This is a correct statement.
My favourite thing to do!
Just adore that place. :lovestruc
Same... we need to hang out there together one trip!
I'm back online for some much-missed DISTime. I really missed reading reports and keeping caught up. I think we are feeling a bit back to normalish at least in our household after the storms. :)
So glad to hear this! What an ordeal for you all. :hug:

Finally cathcing up!!
Jack went for the Banana Cabana for a change and really enjoyed it.
Ooh I've never had this; may have to try it next time!
. Jack decided to go for the Cheesy brisket dip which had become a firm favourite of ours.
This is my go-to at GP; love it! Haha I think you guys were there more than us!
Our wonderful server, Rob felt badly about our CG experience and brought over the delicious Campfire Mousse as a little pick me up treat. That's the Disney service I know and love!
He's so awesome and that was so sweet! Sorry about your CG experience; it's extremely disappointing to be looking so forward to a dinner and then be let down and I feel that's especially true at a signature. Our first visit to CG a few years back was so-so which led us to not return for awhile; our subsequent visits have all been post-COVID and luckily have been great (fingers crossed!)
I was so happy to share this experience with a dear friend.
:love:
Wow you definitely have me sold on GP, we still haven’t made it over there yet, one of these trips!
OMG I can't believe you still haven't gotten there lol!

Get there :worship:

Ooh I've never had this; may have to try it next time!
It goes down VERY easily!
This is my go-to at GP; love it! Haha I think you guys were there more than us!
We basically moved in.....I think we were there every day of our stay at the Lodge!
He's so awesome and that was so sweet! Sorry about your CG experience; it's extremely disappointing to be looking so forward to a dinner and then be let down and I feel that's especially true at a signature. Our first visit to CG a few years back was so-so which led us to not return for awhile; our subsequent visits have all been post-COVID and luckily have been great (fingers crossed!)
I agree. I really wanted it to be a special and memorable meal. And it just wasn't. But the good thing is there will always be other places to try. :)
California Grill just sounds like it isn't as good as it has been in the past... Glad Geyseur Point made up for it!
It certainly wasn't what we had hoped for that evening. Geyser Point is one of our favourite places on property!

Saying goodbye until the next time!

It's always sad to wake up on that last Disney morning knowing you have to go home. We decided to make the most of it by ordering Mickey waffles and enjoying them on our balcony. Nothing yummier!
IMG_9262.jpeg

This was the kids serving which came with bacon or sausage and a side of fruit and a beverage. It is such a great deal for $6.79! I was feeling happy after my Mickey waffles and the relaxing view.
IMG_9265.jpeg

IMG_9264.jpeg

We sadly packed up our remaining things and brought them out to the car. After an easy drive to the airport, we returned the car and checked in with West Jet. It was a little stressful making sure we had all our documents with vaccine records and test results but we got it done. Going through security was easy and we settled in to wait. And wait. And wait. After a three hour delay we finally got on our flight and were happy to have a smooth flight home. Arrive Can made going through customs simple and we soon got our luggage and were on our way home.

Trip highlights include our first stay at Coronado, spending time with dear Disfriends, hanging out at Geyser Point and having 1:1 time with my firstborn. Even though we had our moments, it was really special to have the time with him.

Favourite restaurant/lounges: Geyser Point (of course!), Baseline Taphouse and Kimonos.
Favourite resort: Boulder Ridge villas especially for my first trip owning DVC.
Favourite attraction: ROTR! (new) People Mover (classic)

Cost breakdown ~ I always go in with with an estimate based on the regular dining plan of $78 pp/day. For our 8 nights that would give me a budget of $1248. I came in at $1280 which included many beverages, all tips and taxes. Even if the DDP was offered right now, it's not something that suits the way I like to eat at Disney. I ended up not doing souvenirs except for a few pins as there just wasn't a lot that really caught my eye.

It was a great trip and one that will always hold a special place in my heart. Thanks for reading along and being part of it. Merry Christmas to you all and many blessings for a happy, healthy New Year. See you real soon! :goodvibes

Last edited:
It's always sad to wake up on that last Disney morning knowing you have to go home.
:(
Yeah...
They should make it so you can stay until you're sick of it.

Um... I guess then you'd be there forever.
We decided to make the most of it by ordering Mickey waffles and enjoying them on our balcony. Nothing yummier!
Good idea!
IMG_9265.jpeg
Very nice photo of you. :)
It was a little stressful making sure we had all our documents with vaccine records and test results but we got it done.
Yeah.... That's crossed my mind. Who knows, maybe, if/when I head south, it'll be easier.
After a three hour delay
Ugh. :sad2:
having 1:1 time with my firstborn. Even though we had our moments, it was really special to have the time with him.
:goodvibes
Thanks for reading along and being part of it.
Thanks for writing! :)
Merry Christmas to you all and many blessing for a happy, healthy New Year. See you real soon! :goodvibes
Merry Christmas to you and yours too!

Yeah...
They should make it so you can stay until you're sick of it.

Um... I guess then you'd be there forever.
Right??? I have friends who did a trip they called "31 days of Disney" where they stayed at 6 different resorts.
Yeah.... That's crossed my mind. Who knows, maybe, if/when I head south, it'll be easier.
I hope it gets easier. We are really in the grip of this new variant now. I am not even sure if my March break trip will be a go or not. Ugh. I do have a solo trip booked for late August which I am optimistic about. Time will tell. :)

Right??? I have friends who did a trip they called "31 days of Disney" where they stayed at 6 different resorts.
Wow!
So… were they “done” after that long or still sad to be leaving???
I hope it gets easier. We are really in the grip of this new variant now. I am not even sure if my March break trip will be a go or not. Ugh. I do have a solo trip booked for late August which I am optimistic about. Time will tell. :)
DD and I are thinking of late August too possibly. But who knows.
And as for our wonderful new variant, we hit a record with new cases yesterday. :sad2:

Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us. I like your round up at the end. You did great on the amount you spent eating and drinking considering. We have never purchased the dining plan but have gotten it for "free" on occasion and I always end up bringing a ton of snacks home but paying out of pocket for appetisers or sit-down meals so I don't think I'd ever pay for it but if it's the only discount going I'll take it. My boys do love the fact that they can eat burgers and Mickey bars to their heart's content and I won't moan at them other than to warn them not to make themselves ill.
Here's hoping things improve and you make that March trip :goodvibes

Hey Susan!

Same... we need to hang out there together one trip!
Yes, we sure do! :)

This was the kids serving which came with bacon or sausage and a side of fruit and a beverage. It is such a great deal for $6.79! I was feeling happy after my Mickey waffles and the relaxing view.

Nothing better than brekkie on the balcy! ;)
Going through security was easy and we settled in to wait. And wait. And wait. After a three hour delay we finally got on our flight and were happy to have a smooth flight home.
OY that sure does sound stressful. Glad you made it on your flight and arrived safely home again.
Trip highlights include our first stay at Coronado

It's a bit of a hidden gem in terms of resorts. Really like it there.

Loved reading your report; loved it even more that I was in it and especially that I got to see you and meet Jack :goodvibes Here's to a wonderful 2022 all around and more time for meet ups at Geyser Point!

Thank you so much for the trip report. Firstly, Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays! I'm so impressed by our Canadian neighbors making the trek to Disney these days. COVID certainly adds to what is already an immense amount of planning. Secondly, welcome to the DVC family! You picked a great home resort! As a grown adult who has traveled with my parents (DVC owners) as an adult over 21+ almost 1/3 of whole my life, I totally understand what it's like to travel with your adult kid - appreciate your honesty. Our family can relate. I'm the youngest of three daughters (parents also celebrated when I left for college!) & we all have our moments with our parents -- especially at Disney. I think it's just A LOT of family time in close quarters with a lot of stress/lack of sleep hahaa. And now that everything is so planned... Anyway, really appreciate your reviews. I absolutely need to check out Kimono's and Geyser Point. I am on the same page as you re. The Boathouse. We also sat outside on the back deck because we were being extra cautious in May 2021 (my parents are older and my dad is in the "at risk" category). The restaurant was packed - crowded (and this was back in May when all Disney-operated restaurants were spacing tables, etc.) - which I guess I should have known since it's not operated by Disney. Anyway, the meal & service were fine for us. I just didn't get the food & pricing. Granted, I'm from New England so we do the whole New England seafood (lobster, crab, mussels, buttered rolls, etc.) scene very well --- at 1/2 the price..... Thanks again!

Just read your report! Glad you guys finally made it back to WDW. I hope my Robert will still want to travel with me to Disney when he’s 21 🥺🥺

So… were they “done” after that long or still sad to be leaving???
You know I think they were sad to be leaving. Both of them are travel agents as well as DVC owners so I think they were trying out the extended stay as a draw for their clients. I know they did it again the next year so it must have been fun. Then the world changed so they have not been traveling.
DD and I are thinking of late August too possibly. But who knows.
And as for our wonderful new variant, we hit a record with new cases yesterday. :sad2:
Yikes! I know Manitoba is not faring too well. Almost 10,000 per day here in Ontario. :( I hope you two end up travelling in late August. It would be awesome if our trips overlapped!
Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us. I like your round up at the end. You did great on the amount you spent eating and drinking considering. We have never purchased the dining plan but have gotten it for "free" on occasion and I always end up bringing a ton of snacks home but paying out of pocket for appetisers or sit-down meals so I don't think I'd ever pay for it but if it's the only discount going I'll take it. My boys do love the fact that they can eat burgers and Mickey bars to their heart's content and I won't moan at them other than to warn them not to make themselves ill.
Here's hoping things improve and you make that March trip :goodvibes
Thank you so much for joining in and being part of it, Moira! I will always choose OOP as it works for my love of eating at lounges and not having to worry about credits. Plus there are many times I might just want a couple of appies rather than an entree.
It's a bit of a hidden gem in terms of resorts. Really like it there.
I fell head over heels in love with CSR. Can't wait to go back for a longer stay. :)
Loved reading your report; loved it even more that I was in it and especially that I got to see you and meet Jack :goodvibes Here's to a wonderful 2022 all around and more time for meet ups at Geyser Point!
Thank you so much! Hanging out with you and Steve was one of the highlights of our trip. Wishing you the very best for the New Year and more Disney time together!
Thank you so much for the trip report. Firstly, Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays! I'm so impressed by our Canadian neighbors making the trek to Disney these days. COVID certainly adds to what is already an immense amount of planning.
Thank you.... I am a pretty dedicated Disney girl and can typically fly (Toronto Pearson to Orlando) there in under 3 hours. So not really too onerous. We have driven before too (25 hours). Covid makes all our lives extra special these days....
Secondly, welcome to the DVC family! You picked a great home resort! As a grown adult who has traveled with my parents (DVC owners) as an adult over 21+ almost 1/3 of whole my life, I totally understand what it's like to travel with your adult kid - appreciate your honesty. Our family can relate. I'm the youngest of three daughters (parents also celebrated when I left for college!) & we all have our moments with our parents -- especially at Disney.
Yes, definitely ups and downs travelling with your adult children. Finding space for each person and having open communication were key for us. Thanks for the DVC welcome, I am thrilled to be part of it and am VERY happy with BRV. :goodvibes
Granted, I'm from New England so we do the whole New England seafood (lobster, crab, mussels, buttered rolls, etc.) scene very well --- at 1/2 the price..... Thanks again!
I grew up in Prince Edward Island so am totally on the same page.
Just read your report! Glad you guys finally made it back to WDW. I hope my Robert will still want to travel with me to Disney when he’s 21 🥺🥺
Courtney!! So nice to see you! Hope you guys are doing well. I cannot believe your sweet babe is already 1!

I love kids meals at WDW. They are the perfect size and good value. I wish they had more of them with more variety, that's my only complaint.

Arrive Can made going through customs simple and we soon got our luggage and were on our way home.

Man...really hoping this is still the case when we fly home this week!! Terrified of what the airport will be like on our return!!

Even if the DDP was offered right now, it's not something that suits the way I like to eat at Disney. I ended up not doing souvenirs except for a few pins as there just wasn't a lot that really caught my eye.

I agree...I really do not always want appetizers and desserts...and often prefer to get just an appetizer as my main...and lots of snacks...I wish they had some kind of unlimited snack plan lol

You know I think they were sad to be leaving. Both of them are travel agents as well as DVC owners so I think they were trying out the extended stay as a draw for their clients. I know they did it again the next year so it must have been fun.
That they did it again, certainly says a lot. ::yes::
Then the world changed so they have not been traveling.
Oh? What happened?

:duck:
Yikes! I know Manitoba is not faring too well. Almost 10,000 per day here in Ontario. :(
I saw that too. :(
I hope you two end up travelling in late August. It would be awesome if our trips overlapped!
It would! :)

It's always sad to wake up on that last Disney morning knowing you have to go home.

It's the worst feeling, knowing you have to return to reality. I imagine it was even harder having been away for so long.

having 1:1 time with my firstborn. Even though we had our moments, it was really special to have the time with him.

I am sure it created memories that you'll hold on to forever. Will you eventually do similar trips with the twins?

I came in at $1280 which included many beverages, all tips and taxes.

That's not too bad when compared to what you budgeted. And with drinks and tips included in that, I guess I thought it would be more.

Thanks for reading along and being part of it.

Thank you for writing this report! It was so fun to follow along. You have made me put Geyser Point at the top of my Must Try lists for my next trip, and I'm actually even considering staying at Wilderness Lodge!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter