• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It's kind of awful this week.

Mini trip report from same time period:

We were there last week (7/17-7/21) and it was a challenging trip between the crowds, heat and rides being down. This was our first trip back since Nov. 2019 (we had AP's that year- we live in Northern Ca, so we would get AP's every other year). I had metered my expectations, but still experienced some frustration.

Wednesday was our only DCA start morning and it was before 10am and Incrediacoaster, Goofy's, Web Slinger's and RCR were all down. Rides were down off and on the entire trip. The crowds were showing up early too. Usually, "in the before times," the first 2 hours at DL would be relatively peaceful with the crowds picking up around 10am... not this trip.

We didn't run into any surly cast members, maybe one exception with the hostess at the Hungry Bear F! dinner line, but they were all generally friendly and helpful.

Highlight of the trip might have been having cocktails at Carthay Circle Lounge at 1:30 on a really busy day. It came at a price ($$) but they sat us inside and the drinks were delicious and our server was great.

Lowlight (besides crowding and ride closures) had to be the Endorian Tip Yip at Docking Bay 7. *** happened to this meal? The breading on the chicken was different and the chicken was some weird possibly piece of thigh with lots of gristle and was really rubbery. My friend's 20 year old daughter (she was sitting at another table-because with the crowds it was hard to find seating for our group of 8) even brought her piece over questioning if it was cooked and safe to eat. I hope the switch to this weird chicken product is just a temporary supply chain problem. They charge over $15 dollars for a gross piece of chicken (nobody finished theirs) and a scoop of instant mashed potatoes with like 5 peas and carrots cubes in it. The food there was always a little overpriced, but it used to be decent.

I still managed to have fun. We did the Hungry Bear F! dinner and WoC dessert party. Aside from our group of 8 (two families) we had other friends (two couples) there at the same time. We hardly saw them because it was hard to navigate everyones schedules, but they reported similar experiences with crowds and long lines.

I tried to keep and open mind about Genie+ but I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like it. I wasn't thrilled when MaxPass came out because I really dislike the "nickel & dining" aspect. I will admit that I liked using MaxPass, though. I found it much more flexible than Genie+. Some rides we never want to get LL or FP for (Autopia). Some we like to ride multiple times... MaxPass gave us this flexibility.

Another thing I really didn't like was having to pick a starting park and even more so, having to wait until 1pm to be able to hop. I really missed the flexibility.

I was fully expecting to get Covid on this trip. Luckily so far (we've been home 6 days now) we've all escaped it. We did wear masks, but definitely not all the time so we were probably mostly just lucky.

Mini trip report from same time period:

We were there last week (7/17-7/21) and it was a challenging trip between the crowds, heat and rides being down. This was our first trip back since Nov. 2019 (we had AP's that year- we live in Northern Ca, so we would get AP's every other year). I had metered my expectations, but still experienced some frustration.

Wednesday was our only DCA start morning and it was before 10am and Incrediacoaster, Goofy's, Web Slinger's and RCR were all down. Rides were down off and on the entire trip. The crowds were showing up early too. Usually, "in the before times," the first 2 hours at DL would be relatively peaceful with the crowds picking up around 10am... not this trip.

We didn't run into any surly cast members, maybe one exception with the hostess at the Hungry Bear F! dinner line, but they were all generally friendly and helpful.

Highlight of the trip might have been having cocktails at Carthay Circle Lounge at 1:30 on a really busy day. It came at a price ($$) but they sat us inside and the drinks were delicious and our server was great.

Lowlight (besides crowding and ride closures) had to be the Endorian Tip Yip at Docking Bay 7. *** happened to this meal? The breading on the chicken was different and the chicken was some weird possibly piece of thigh with lots of gristle and was really rubbery. My friend's 20 year old daughter (she was sitting at another table-because with the crowds it was hard to find seating for our group of 8) even brought her piece over questioning if it was cooked and safe to eat. I hope the switch to this weird chicken product is just a temporary supply chain problem. They charge over $15 dollars for a gross piece of chicken (nobody finished theirs) and a scoop of instant mashed potatoes with like 5 peas and carrots cubes in it. The food there was always a little overpriced, but it used to be decent.

I still managed to have fun. We did the Hungry Bear F! dinner and WoC dessert party. Aside from our group of 8 (two families) we had other friends (two couples) there at the same time. We hardly saw them because it was hard to navigate everyones schedules, but they reported similar experiences with crowds and long lines.

I tried to keep and open mind about Genie+ but I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like it. I wasn't thrilled when MaxPass came out because I really dislike the "nickel & dining" aspect. I will admit that I liked using MaxPass, though. I found it much more flexible than Genie+. Some rides we never want to get LL or FP for (Autopia). Some we like to ride multiple times... MaxPass gave us this flexibility.

Another thing I really didn't like was having to pick a starting park and even more so, having to wait until 1pm to be able to hop. I really missed the flexibility.

I was fully expecting to get Covid on this trip. Luckily so far (we've been home 6 days now) we've all escaped it. We did wear masks, but definitely not all the time so we were probably mostly just lucky.
I am right there with you on the frustrating and annoying park hopping restriction (why??????) and Genie+ is a horrible product. MaxPass was 100 times better (and was the same price as Genie+ so why did they have to change it???).

We had the Endorian Tip Yip Chicken at Docking Bay 7 last weekend and the chicken is definitely different than it used to be. My son really enjoyed his though. I had a piece and I thought it was delicious, had a little kick to it. Sounds like you got a bad piece unfortunately. You probably could have asked for a replacement if you wanted to take the time (though that is annoying for sure).

Here is what his looked like (minus the gravy, which he didn’t want):

1E6B17C3-BC5A-4A2F-AF01-A730BA70FB83.jpeg

I agree Maxpass was far superior to Genie+. We rode our favorite rides over and over and skipped all those that didn't appeal to us (most of Fantasyland). The whole one ride per day thing really chaps my hide.

I am right there with you on the frustrating and annoying park hopping restriction (why??????) and Genie+ is a horrible product. MaxPass was 100 times better (and was the same price as Genie+ so why did they have to change it???).

We had the Endorian Tip Yip Chicken at Docking Bay 7 last weekend and the chicken is definitely different than it used to be. My son really enjoyed his though. I had a piece and I thought it was delicious, had a little kick to it. Sounds like you got a bad piece unfortunately. You probably could have asked for a replacement if you wanted to take the time (though that is annoying for sure).

Here is what his looked like (minus the gravy, which he didn’t want):

View attachment 688719

That's definitely a chicken thigh. What happened to the cube shaped chicken?

I stopped eating at DB7 when they changed up the pot roast meal. Now it has a gross coconut curry sauce. It used to be perfect. 😔

It is very sad to hear all the bad experiences at DL. We used to go every summer when my kids were little and it was very magical for us then. We were pros at making the most of the trip using park hoppers and fast passes without having restrictions. I really miss those days. I honestly don't think we will go back any time soon, especially since our kids are adults now. I guess if I am feeling nostalgic I can just browse our old photos of better times.

I was at Disneyland last week- I tested positive on Day 2. I wore a mask on indoor portions of rides (like Haunted Mansion) but not outside. My 4 kids didn’t get sick and we’ve been home 7 days today. I made everyone come home when I turned up positive and missed out on 3 of my 4 nights!!! So sad!

If you tested positive on day 2, you were exposed before you got to Disneyland. Still sucks that your trip was cut short. So sorry that happened to you.

Last edited:
That's definitely a chicken thigh. What happened to the cube shaped chicken?

I stopped eating at DB7 when they changed up the pot roast meal. Now it has a gross coconut curry sauce. It used to be perfect. 😔
Right, I recall it used to be like a huge, cube-shaped nugget of some kind.

I actually was really wanting to try the curry dish. I love curry! I’ll have to try it next time. I got the chicken salad and it was really good (also thigh meat, not sure if it was always chicken thigh in this salad).

0ED6BDE1-5144-4300-95E0-79E4004187BE.jpeg

Sorry that you got sick. Since you tested positive on the second day, you must have picked it up at some place other than Disney. We had Covid right after the fourth of July and it took two days after symptoms started and four days after being exposed before we tested positive. This new variant is no joke. Highly contagious. We made it two and a half years without getting it including traveling on four cruises and multiple trips to DL during this time. Hope that you’re feeling better.

Right, I recall it used to be like a huge, cube-shaped nugget of some kind.

I actually was really wanting to try the curry dish. I love curry! I’ll have to try it next time. I got the chicken salad and it was really good (also thigh meat, not sure if it was always chicken thigh in this salad).

View attachment 688724

Sounds like the new pot roast will be right up your alley! The chicken in that salad has always been thigh meat. This place is off our list now unless they go back to chicken breast in the tip yip. Glad I found out about this.

Update regarding covid.
Hubby started with symptoms this Tuesday, we flew home last Friday.
He tested positive yesterday.
We think he could have caught it on our 10 hour flight home to UK.
He says it is like a bad head cold and he has fatigue, but not overly ill thank goodness.
Me and 2 teens are clear so far.

I was there last week too. Just one day, Thursday the 21st, at Disneyland. I was expecting 9/10 crowds similar to our late Feb/early March 2022 trip and was pleasantly surprised that it definitely felt less busy than that trip. We did encounter the dreaded ride breakdowns but we made it work. We had a fabulous trip and have vowed to stop going in the spring. Its never actually slow in the off season anyway so we might as well go in the summer when we get stay from 8 am - midnight! We had so much fun! My 6 year old got to experience Splash for the 1st time and he loved it!

Sadly, we're home now and my 14 year old daughter has tested positive for Covid. I do NOT believe she got it at Disneyland. She was in a 4 day basketball tournament after we visited Disney and the timing of her positive test leads me to believe she got it during a game. There were several teams that were unable to play the entire tournament because they came down with Covid. We knew it was a high probability of being exposed during this trip. So far she just has the sniffles and teeny dry cough. Fingers crossed she doesn't give it to the rest of us.

Lowlight (besides crowding and ride closures) had to be the Endorian Tip Yip at Docking Bay 7. *** happened to this meal? The breading on the chicken was different and the chicken was some weird possibly piece of thigh with lots of gristle and was really rubbery. My friend's 20 year old daughter (she was sitting at another table-because with the crowds it was hard to find seating for our group of 8) even brought her piece over questioning if it was cooked and safe to eat. I hope the switch to this weird chicken product is just a temporary supply chain problem. They charge over $15 dollars for a gross piece of chicken (nobody finished theirs) and a scoop of instant mashed potatoes with like 5 peas and carrots cubes in it. The food there was always a little overpriced, but it used to be decent
I’m glad you mentioned this! My daughter had the exact same experience 3 weeks ago. She said the texture was really weird, and kept asking me if I thought it was undercooked because it looked pink to her. She only ate about a third of it so total waste of $.

I will say they do have one of my favorite meals at DL and it was still delicious—the Felucian Kefta. Also the cold brew drink with the Cocoa Puffs was really tasty.

On Covid we are exactly 7 days since we were in the parks. *Knock Wood* we seem to be in the clear. My 16 year olds wore their masks about 80% of the time. I wore mine about 70% of the time. Mostly when we were in line, indoors and large crowds outside like parade and fireworks. Older DD maybe 50% of the time. Honestly I think it’s just the luck of the draw. I got Covid warnings every time we entered the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter