"It's SOOOOO EXPENSIVE!!!!" -- Not what you think!

bdoyledimou

Pop Road Warrior -Travelling they way they did in
So we have booked two rooms at Pop for 6 (3 adults 3 kids) for 15 days, and it boils down to $71 per day per person (including dining plan!). We are trying to encourage some of the extended family to join us, but we keep getting the "But it's SOOOOOO expensive!!!!" line...

Once we explain how much it is actually costing us, they then turn around with ... "We'll talk when you get back and see how much you REALLY SPEND. They just tell you it's low price until you get there and then they will start adding on the fees, blah blah blah.. We will just go to Wonderland where it's cheap".. I can easily spend $250 at Wonderland in a day, and that is without hotel or food!!!

Of course these are people who have never gone to the World don't understand it. It is the destination that "rich" friends go to, and people with "more money than brains" and why would you spend all that money when there is a park 1 hour away?!?!

How do you explain it to them? The magic, the memories the fun the laughter? I mean Wonderland is ok, but it is not, will not, can never be Walt Disney World.. Even my SO wasn't that keen on the trip when i first brought it up to her (before her first trip 2 years ago).. Once we got there, she FELL IN LOVE with Disney, cried when she met Mickey Mouse, cried when we left, and immedietly started saving for this years trip (doubling our length of stay)..

We actually WATCH our Vacation video, which is almost unheard of :)

So any advice on how to sway the nay sayers?!?!?!?!

Well, maybe at this time your extended family just can't afford the trip to Disney even at $71 a day. Also, it just isn't for everyone and that's ok. It's great that you want to share the love, your excitement, the magic, but it isn't for everyone and for everyone's credit card. Maybe they secretly want to go and just can't swing it at this time, so they brush it off with their remarks. That's totally ok though. Maybe down the line you can plan a family trip that can fit everyone's travel budget and tastes.

Those cheaper vacations nickel and dime you to death! I love that I KNOW how much my WDW vacations are going to cost before I go. I just have to worry about trinkets.

We went to Branson, Missouri once and spent more there than WDW! Go-CartsX6, dinner showsX6, museumsX6, putt-putt golfX6, etc...once we paid for each thing times 6 people in our family we easily dropped $100 for an hour of entertainment! Not to mention Disney World is way more fun!:thumbsup2

So we have booked two rooms at Pop for 6 (3 adults 3 kids) for 15 days, and it boils down to $71 per day per person (including dining plan!). We are trying to encourage some of the extended family to join us, but we keep getting the "But it's SOOOOOO expensive!!!!" line...

Once we explain how much it is actually costing us, they then turn around with ... "We'll talk when you get back and see how much you REALLY SPEND. They just tell you it's low price until you get there and then they will start adding on the fees, blah blah blah.. We will just go to Wonderland where it's cheap".. I can easily spend $250 at Wonderland in a day, and that is without hotel or food!!!

Of course these are people who have never gone to the World don't understand it. It is the destination that "rich" friends go to, and people with "more money than brains" and why would you spend all that money when there is a park 1 hour away?!?!

How do you explain it to them? The magic, the memories the fun the laughter? I mean Wonderland is ok, but it is not, will not, can never be Walt Disney World.. Even my SO wasn't that keen on the trip when i first brought it up to her (before her first trip 2 years ago).. Once we got there, she FELL IN LOVE with Disney, cried when she met Mickey Mouse, cried when we left, and immediately started saving for this years trip (doubling our length of stay)..

We actually WATCH our Vacation video, which is almost unheard of :)

So any advice on how to sway the nay sayers?!?!?!?!

My family was the EXACT same way...and they could never figure out how we can do 2 - 3 trips a year. Last year I finally convinced my parents to book a trip to WDW and a Carnival cruise with us as a group. I planted the Disney seed in my mom's head when she joined me on a trip to Disneyland and I paid her way. So when she got back she couldn't stop talking about it and my dad said he would like to try it but they didn't have the money...so what DH and I did was we started planning a year in advance so that they could pay for it over the year. They soon realized that it is possible with a little planning and saving just a little at a time. We asked them if they wanted to join us again in August but that wasn't enough time for them to saves so we are planning a trip to Disney again next year and possibly booking a bounce back to help them save if it is offered during this stay. I think that there are some that are still worried about the economy...I know my parents are because they have seen how bad it can be and they don't want to be in a tough situation but at the same time I feel bad for them that they are always worried about money and not enjoying this part of their lives. Both myself and my brother are out of the house with our own families so I would like to see my parents focus on themselves and take the time to do things that they couldn't afford to do when there was all four of us. :) So you could try booking as far in advance as possible and let them know that they have plenty of time to pay for it and if they really want to go I think they would work something out to save slowly...JMO

I just went through the whole thing with my best friend. She doesn't do the 'oh, you're going again' thing.....she doesn't have to because I do it :rotfl: She thought that her family wouldn't like going there because they don't like theme parks and rides. She told me that she thought that's why we keep going there. Which I told her that we go because of a few reasons....

1. Beautiful grounds and resorts with excellent service.
2. You can make it as busy or as relaxed as you chose.
3. Every type of food you could want.
4. We actually get more days vacation for less money.....if we went to an all inclusive we would only get 7 days for, on average, $1000 more. We vacay at WDW for at least 10 days.

I have the same kind of family and friends here in NS...

It's exhausting trying to convince people of the value/wonder/magic for the same or a tiny bit more $. I'd suggest not bothering. There comes a point when you don't "like" banging your head against a brick wall. I think Disney suffers from left-over 1980's PR....from a time before it was economical to go. So many older people still think it takes a king's ransom and don't see that it costs the same as similar vacations here at home in Canada once you add it all in (I hear ya on the Wonderland thing!).

On a positive note, I've convinced my partner (long time live-in boyfriend who hates all vacations other than a cheap cottage at the NS or PEI shore) to come with my daughter and I on a Dis cruise....he wanted a beach holiday and thinks WDW is far too expensive and too "kiddie." Of course, he's never been there.... So he gets "beach" and we get Disney service and extras....he'll get a taste of what it's all about too! :)

Anyway, like one of the previous posters, I'm paying for us to stay at disney's saratoga springs resort for 2 (maybe 3!) nights before the cruise. We're splitting on the cruise but I'm paying for our pre-cruise nights by myself.... It's the only way to get him to "try" the World. We're not even doing the parks, only the resort and downtown disney and maybe some golf (which he will be AMAZED at). We also booked ridiculously early (over a year away!) because it's a cruise. It helped him see that he'd have a huge amount of time to save/pay for his half of the cruise.
Baby steps!!

Maybe try offering for them to stay off-site first? I know the cost is about the same right now with the great Disney discounts on but their perception is that it is cheaper. Maybe that's a way?

HEY! Maybe try a Disney cruise instead like we did? Then you sell them on the fact that all food, entertainment and kids programs is included!

Just curious, are flights factored into your $71/day?

My total for Rooms, Tickets and Dining plan is $115 per person. This is 3 people, Value Resort, durung Value Season, no promos or PINs (just a quick WDW site search).

Add flights into that and we are at $185 per person per day.

I would go at least 2x a year if it was $71 pp/day!!

So we have booked two rooms at Pop for 6 (3 adults 3 kids) for 15 days, and it boils down to $71 per day per person (including dining plan!).

How do you explain it to them? The magic, the memories the fun the laughter?
I think you answered your own question by the 15 days! As much as I'm a Disney fanatic too, I can't justify more than 10 days away at once. (self employed with clients who don't take vacations)
As much as the dollar value is there, the time away from income generating may affect the others. Remember, some people get only 2 weeks of holiday, and to spend the entire vacation pay on one trip may not suit their plans.

Just curious, are flights factored into your $71/day?

My total for Rooms, Tickets and Dining plan is $115 per person. This is 3 people, Value Resort, durung Value Season, no promos or PINs (just a quick WDW site search).

Add flights into that and we are at $185 per person per day.

I would go at least 2x a year if it was $71 pp/day!!

No; no flights (we have driven the last 7 times we have gone)..

I think you answered your own question by the 15 days! As much as I'm a Disney fanatic too, I can't justify more than 10 days away at once. (self employed with clients who don't take vacations)
As much as the dollar value is there, the time away from income generating may affect the others. Remember, some people get only 2 weeks of holiday, and to spend the entire vacation pay on one trip may not suit their plans.

The price doesn't go up if the time shortens.. :) even if they went for a week, they could enjoy it..

I wasn't really addressig MY particular vacation though, jsut the family that points out that it's so expensive everytime we go (of course they then book a trip to the DR for for a week for $1200 each and call that great value, but complain that they had to pay for all the "fun" once they got there at $100 per person more per excursion.... my Brother and his family paid $250 US to get on a bus to go shopping!!!)..

DH and I have this conversation constantly. I was talking to a friend who is a teacher so they can only travel at March break. For their family of 4 an all inclusive in Mexico was $6000 for a week. You could do Disney twice for that.

I agree with a PP about how so many other places nickel and dime you. A day at the CNE last Aug easily was $100 for tickets, food, the GO and a few games.

What many people don't know or understand is that it is so much more travelling within our own country, than to travel to Disney. It's very sad really. So perhaps they are thinking of that?? I know for us to go home, (beautiful Haida Gwaii, formally known as the Queen Charlotte Islands) it is an expensive trip! It is $1200 (on sale) each for our flights alone!

As for what people say about us taking trips to Disney, etc., I don't really care anymore. I just ignore it. My DH and I have tried to get some of our family down and I know that one day they will. It will just take some time so that it makes sense financially for them too. This is partly why we bought the timeshare, so we could bring family down and it won't cost them a whole lot of money.

When people talk about how expensive they think Disney is, it just makes me think that those people have never really traveled too far from home.

I mean, if you're used to traveling within Canada or only taking short roads trips across the border, then anything further than that would seem expensive.

Someone who's traveled further would definitely understand and see the value of going to Disney, with all the great prices nowadays.

But then, with the Wonderland thing. Yes, Disney is much better in THEMING and Disney experiences and food. But if they're thrill seekers that don't care for Disney or food, then Wonderland is the better place. It definitely has MUCH BETTER rides than Disney for us young adult, compared to what Disney offers.

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” -Stuart Chase

There's no use even trying to explain. If they don't "get it", just drop the subject, go yourselves and enjoy. I refuse to take my kids to the money pit known as Canada's Wonderland. We get so much more out of a day at WDW. Sure there are a few good "thrill rides", but there's nothing remotely close to Toy Story Mania, Splash Mountain, heck, even the monorail is cooler than anything at Wonderland. Not to mention try to find a Le celier steak.

Most people don't "get it"...and they won't until they go. we had friends who came with us and as soon as they arrived they "got it". They couldn't believe the colours, the efficiency, how clean everything was and why the cost is what it is. A dinner out at ANY Disney restaurant is not like going to Kelsey's or even the Keg. It's an experience and yes it costs more $ for $ but in our opinion worth every smile on our girls faces!!!!

Now if you're talking overall vacation cost, most times people are not comparing apples to apples. Going to Disney for a week is NOT like going to Canada's Wonderland for a week. It's not even like going to an all-inclusive resort for a week. It so much BETTER. Broadway quality shows, rides parades, fireworks EVERY nights. The value is there but needs to be broken down for them.

I still like to spread the pixie dust and try and tell people how much we love it. But have given up defending our choice and trying to convince everyone how good a deal it is. I also have a great answer to the "you're going again?" groan. Well do you go to your cottage every summer or camping every year or a baseball game every Spring. What ever it is YOU like to do and do all the time. It's the same here. Never the same trip twice and it's our "go to" place where we feel like we're "home" and comfortable. :hippie:

I find that it is the hardest with family. I know how much they would enjoy it if they would just come.

Next year, we are offering them free digs (using our DVC points) and buying their tickets. Not even sure if they will come then. Still too expensive. :headache:

Sure there are a few good "thrill rides", but there's nothing remotely close to Toy Story Mania, Splash Mountain, heck, even the monorail is cooler than anything at Wonderland.

I LOL'd when I read this. Thanks!

So true....about every day-park. I've tried tonnes of them, even in the UK when I lived there, and it's always the same....nothing measures up. Disney has the bar ridiculously high. :cheer2:

WDW all the way.

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” -Stuart Chase

There's no use even trying to explain. If they don't "get it", just drop the subject, go yourselves and enjoy. I refuse to take my kids to the money pit known as Canada's Wonderland. We get so much more out of a day at WDW. Sure there are a few good "thrill rides", but there's nothing remotely close to Toy Story Mania, Splash Mountain, heck, even the monorail is cooler than anything at Wonderland. Not to mention try to find a Le celier steak.

omg, I remember going to La Ronde here in Montreal ( our local 6-flags ) after having been to Disney the previous spring... How dissapointing!! :confused3

I really find Disney a reasonable vacay because the tix are pricey but the flights are cheap and off-property condos/hotels are pretty cheap compared to any other major destination.

I have to laugh at people who think Wonderland is comparable. Wonderland's okay for the money but it's no Disney!!!

I'm pretty lucky; most of my friends think Disney is great! I have sent a lot of them over the years and helped them with trip planning and how to do it on a budget. I have to agree, some people just don't "get" it. Luckily, that's none of us here!!!!!

It's very difficult to compare all the different options, and emotionally dangerous to tell your friends and family what you believe is cheap versus expensive.

Our friends thought we were nuts to drive from Ottawa to all kinds of theme parks all over the NE states. As someone mentioned earlier, it's the vacation time that really affects perceptions.

My wife and I did a lot of vacation trips for 2 since 2000. Our costs are not necessarily typical, but might be worth sharing with your financially concerned friends and family:
* WDW or Universal Florida vacations for 7 to 11 days costs including flights, accommodations and food: $3000 to $5000, with cost varying primarily on dining choices and the exchange rate.
* 3-4 day-trips per year to La Ronde or The Great Escape: $350 including annual passes, fuel, parking and food.
* a day-trip to Wonderland or Darien Lake (no annual passes): $250.
* a long weekend road trip riding coasters at Cedar Point, Kennywood or Hershey: $1200.
* a long weekend road trip riding coasters at Busch Gardens Williamsburg: $1400-$1600 (more expensive accommodation)
* a long weekend trip to NYC (with or without roller coasters): $1400-$1600
* a long weekend flight / rental car to Holiday World and King's Island: $1600.

It's hard to compare all the different experiences.
* Disney had the best service, but Holiday World comes very close.
* Busch Garden's Williamsburg was just as beautiful as Epcot's Flower and Garden festival.
* Cedar Point had the best collection of roller coasters in the world.
* Hershey had an excellent combination of thrill rides, historic charm, and hospitality. Outlet shopping and chocolat are good too.
* Kennywood has real history and well-maintained roller coasters dating back to 1924, plus attractions dating further back in history. Kennywood is a National Historic Landmark -- something Disneyland might achieve in another 50 years.
* There's nothing like the adrenaline rush of riding La Ronde's Goliath at night, with the Montreal skyline whirling past.

In conclusion, Disney World is great, but don't underestimate the value of attractions closer to home.

some people just don't understand the "experience" that they would be getting. The first time we went, we weren't sure what we were really paying for. The Magic of DW is worth every penny. I don't think people can truly understand until they go :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter