• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

With requesting an upper floor you can do that through online check-in or faxing in a room request exactly 5 days prior to check-in. Touring Plans also has a feature that allows you to suggest specific rooms.

My question is more so asking for a room that is outside of the room category you booked for.
I'm curious about that too! I wonder how upgrades happen at all. Thanks for the tips on getting an upper floor though!

Has anyone had luck upgrading their rooms at the check-in counter? What language have you used to get an upgrade? Edit: we are currently in a pool view room at Jambo house, hoping maybe for a savannah room.

The last time I got an upgrade I was not expecting it. I was at Pop and I asked to be moved to a room closer to the lobby because we were in the farthest building. They ended up putting us in a preferred room. What is the likelihood with this at deluxe resorts? Is there something to ask for, like being closer to the lobby, help?

I obviously am not expecting anything, I just want to make sure I don't kill my chances by seeming too greedy or demanding.
If there is a higher category room available, I'm sure they would be happy to upgrade you as long as you pay the price difference. They don't just randomly upgrade to a better room. It might happen in a very rare circumstance when the room type you booked didn't have the inventory available due to maintenance or other unforseen circumstances. Most of the time your room is already assigned before you get to the front desk, so trying to sweet talk the staff would be of little value.

Actual accessible rooms are a booking category.

However, it is possible to fit an ECV, and depending on the room and one's creativity, possibly two ECVs into non-accessible WDW hotel rooms. For example, the disabilities thread has pictures of two ECVs in a Pop room. To make it easier, you can call housekeeping and ask that the table and chairs be removed from the room.

FWIW, I have fit an ECV into a WL room, and I think if the table and chairs were removed you could get two in -- but it takes some work and strategizing.

So the question becomes, room size aside, do you need the features of an accessible room, or is a standard room sufficient ? For example, many of the newly refurbished rooms have walk-in showers. Since you need a walk-in shower but perhaps not a wheel-in shower, they may have normal rooms with handrails or be able to install handrails if requested.

This article has quite a few photos of a king refurbished room, including showing the shower: https://*****.com/2019/07/photos-video-newly-refurbished-rooms-at-disneys-animal-kingdom-lodge/

Contact Disney to see what they can do for your based on what your needs are:

See https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/hotels-accessibility/

"
Services for Guests with Disabilities at Disney Resort Hotels
A variety of helpful services and access options are available for Guests with disabilities at Disney Resort Hotels.

For more information, please contact Disability Services at (407) 560-2547 or email disability.services@disneyparks.com.

"

And

"
How to Book an Accessible Room

Please select the “Accessible Rooms” checkbox when you book your vacation online to view available accessible rooms.

If you would prefer to book over the phone, please call (407) 939-1936.

"

As for ECVs parked unattended in the hallways:, the two main issues: (1) fire hazard -- they block the evacuation route for everyone should there be a fire or other need to evacuate the building, becoming a hazard and narrowing the egress pathway; basically, a fire code violation. Hallways have to be a certain width and with the ECV parked unattended in it it isn't wide enough. (2) people can mess with the ECV, from stealing it to "relocating" it to vandalizing it to just unplugging it. You are responsible if anything happens to it, but aside than that, *you want a functioning ECV so you can enjoy your trip*.

SW
As someone who worked in bell services and can answer...

They do ask that ECVs, either rental or personal, are stored in either the rooms or in the hallways outside of the rooms (Just make sure they are parked as close to the wall as possible to allow for traffic to pass, and bring the key with you into the room). This is primarily due to limited storage space where rentals are dropped off.

If for whatever reason you are unable to store it in those spots and it is a rental, they will do what they can to make room. However, it will likely be unable to charge due to limited ports, and you run the risk that the rental company will pick up your scooter when they do stop at the resort. It's rare but has happened before.

Thanks everyone. This is good info! Lots to keep in mind. Starting to worry a bit.

Hi everybody! My DH, DD9 and I are excited about our first stay in a savanna view room from 10/4-10/6 before we move over to the Swan for Epcot proximity — AK and EP are our favorite parks.

DD has always wanted to stay at AKL and is a huge animal lover so we plan to take advantage of time there as much as possible. What are some of your favorite things to do at the resort? We have been looking at the most current activity guide to get an idea of what they offer and would love to hear what some of you have done and enjoyed!

It's such a great place, I'm glad you're planning to take some time to just soak up the resort! We always want to spend more resort time there than we end up actually doing (it's our DVC home). My favorite thing about the resort is walking through the lobby and hearing the drum circles that tend to bust out. You'll see the hotel staff get in on it and they really enjoy themselves! The music is fabulous. We love going up to the 5th floor and looking at the lobby from the suspension bridge. Also a big fan of the little sitting nooks located all over the resort, where you can see the savannas from a different vantage point. Be sure to stop by the tables and informational kiosks they set up around the resort, it's wonderful to chat with the CM who know so much about the country and animals. And, we had a great talk with the guide who was stationed outside on the main savannah, just outside the lobby. So knowledgable and fun. We have yet to do the nighttime safari outing. That's on our list for this coming trip in August though! Enjoy! Prepare to be hooked on this wonderful resort!

We are staying there for the first time 11/30-12/10. We had originally booked at Port Orleans French Quarter but were able to switch to AKL Standard View Room with the annual pass discount! Super excited about it. We are going to look at things this weekend to maybe switch some of our dining plans over. How many room requests can you make? I would like something NOT on first floor (I read that they all have balconies except first floor- is that accurate) and close to lobby. Do you think that is possible?

It's such a great place, I'm glad you're planning to take some time to just soak up the resort! We always want to spend more resort time there than we end up actually doing (it's our DVC home). My favorite thing about the resort is walking through the lobby and hearing the drum circles that tend to bust out. You'll see the hotel staff get in on it and they really enjoy themselves! The music is fabulous. We love going up to the 5th floor and looking at the lobby from the suspension bridge. Also a big fan of the little sitting nooks located all over the resort, where you can see the savannas from a different vantage point. Be sure to stop by the tables and informational kiosks they set up around the resort, it's wonderful to chat with the CM who know so much about the country and animals. And, we had a great talk with the guide who was stationed outside on the main savannah, just outside the lobby. So knowledgable and fun. We have yet to do the nighttime safari outing. That's on our list for this coming trip in August though! Enjoy! Prepare to be hooked on this wonderful resort!
Thanks for all this! Our touring style is to take in the atmosphere of what is around us, and we want to bring this attitude to our stay so we don’t miss all that AKL has to offer. My DD read about the scavenger hunt and is excited to give that a try to explore the resort!

BTW, you can request a type of room and still stay within your category. Many of the Standard rooms have partial Savannah views, and I request one every time via Fax a few days before my trip. We've been lucky enough to get one every time.

BTW, you can request a type of room and still stay within your category. Many of the Standard rooms have partial Savannah views, and I request one every time via Fax a few days before my trip. We've been lucky enough to get one every time.
What is the fax number to send it to? Thank you!

If there is a higher category room available, I'm sure they would be happy to upgrade you as long as you pay the price difference. They don't just randomly upgrade to a better room. It might happen in a very rare circumstance when the room type you booked didn't have the inventory available due to maintenance or other unforseen circumstances. Most of the time your room is already assigned before you get to the front desk, so trying to sweet talk the staff would be of little value.
No pixi dust for you. So upgrades don't happen unless disney screwed up.

Our trip is almost here! We leave tomorrow for the long drive, a quick 1 night stay at Grand Destino Towers, then off to AKL CL for 6 nights. It's our first time trying AKL. Now if I could only finish packing!
Good luck. Please write back regarding the AKL . Traveling in Sep for a week.

Hi everybody! My DH, DD9 and I are excited about our first stay in a savanna view room from 10/4-10/6 before we move over to the Swan for Epcot proximity — AK and EP are our favorite parks.

DD has always wanted to stay at AKL and is a huge animal lover so we plan to take advantage of time there as much as possible. What are some of your favorite things to do at the resort? We have been looking at the most current activity guide to get an idea of what they offer and would love to hear what some of you have done and enjoyed!
October
10/1 - 10/10 wifey - AKL
10/4 - 10/6 CarolinaBlue99 - AKL
10/27 - 10/30 P'colaBeachBum - AKL

We'll be at AKL 11/25-11/29. This is one of our bucket list resorts - I'm so excited!
November
10/31 - 11/7 Kc0912 - AKL
11/7 - 11/10 DisneyDiana - Kidani
11/7 - 11/16 Rowlf the Dog - AKL
11/12 - 11/17 minie_meese - AKL Jambo
11/16 - 11/18 RADOPT - AKL CL
11/16 - 11/24 rubysparkles - AKL
11/20 - 11/26 carlythecat - AKL
11/23 - 11/28 Shelleyfs - AKV
11/25 - 11/29 SarahC97 - AKL

Staying at AKL/Jambo 10/20-10/26...GIRLS TRIP!! Traveling from Wisconsin... 88 days till we leave ..but who's counting? ;-)
October
10/1 - 10/10 wifey - AKL
10/4 - 10/6 CarolinaBlue99 - AKL
10/20 - 10/26 Ali Carlson - AKL
10/27 - 10/30 P'colaBeachBum - AKL

We are staying there for the first time 11/30-12/10. We had originally booked at Port Orleans French Quarter but were able to switch to AKL Standard View Room with the annual pass discount! Super excited about it. We are going to look at things this weekend to maybe switch some of our dining plans over. How many room requests can you make? I would like something NOT on first floor (I read that they all have balconies except first floor- is that accurate) and close to lobby. Do you think that is possible?
December
11/30 - 12/14 - Ashleylvsgoofy - AKL
11/30 - 12/10 crazycatstacy - AKL
12/1 TammyLynn33 - AKL Jambo
12/5 - 12/8 MemphisVanessa - AKL CL
12/5 - 12/12 ZOOMAMA - AKL
12/7 - 12/14 NMPensFan - AKL
12/8 - 12/24 Scoobie - AKL Kidani
12/26 - 12/30 elsbit - AKL CL

Staying at AKL December 4 - 12, looking forward to staying here again, it's one of my favorite resorts!
December
11/30 - 12/14 - Ashleylvsgoofy - AKL
11/30 - 12/10 crazycatstacy - AKL
12/1 TammyLynn33 - AKL Jambo
12/4 - 12/12 rangerxenos - AKL
12/5 - 12/8 MemphisVanessa - AKL CL
12/5 - 12/12 ZOOMAMA - AKL
12/7 - 12/14 NMPensFan - AKL
12/8 - 12/24 Scoobie - AKL Kidani
12/26 - 12/30 elsbit - AKL CL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter