Jan 24 Quick FoArts Staycation! (ft. Space 220, Summerhouse, and MORE)

Festival of the Arts

This is our favorite Epcot festival by a landslide and the reason we booked an Epcot-area hotel for our quick stay!

BUT, we did not plan well for the food booths. We had looming meal reservations each time we were in Epcot so we wound up only trying a couple items. We should have gone without an ADR in order to truly graze at a variety of booths.

That aside though we LOVED the festivities (and the merch, but I was sad both Figment bags sold out seemingly on day 1, sheesh!)

20240116_155138.jpg

Odyssey Pavillion -

Blueberry-filled Pastry Tart with purple icing

20240116_115841.jpg
20240116_115852.jpg

Since it was still morning when we walked over into the park, this seemed like a logical first festival selection. Pop Tarts are breakfast! Although don't call this a Pop Tart, the cast member who took my order scolded me, saying they couldn't afford the licensing fees :laughing:

And honestly, that CM was right, this is too good to be called a Pop Tart! It was softer in texture and had a generous amount of what tasted like freshly-made blueberry jam filling. If our trip had been longer I could see myself picking up another one of these!

The Deconstructed Dish -

Deconstructed Key Lime Pie: Flexible Key Lime Curd, “Key Lime” Mousse, Graham Cracker Cake, and Meringues

20240116_143356.jpg

DH and I both love key lime pie, so this seemed like an easy choice for us. I can't really say anything bad about this, all the components tasted good on their own, but since for most of our bites we wound ourselves taking a bit of everything on our fork, essentially almost reconstructing a key lime pie, it seemed a little goofy :laughing:

Kringla Bakeri og Cafe -
Accidental Schoolbread

20240116_121216.jpg

We got caught in some rain and brushed it off until it turned into a deluge, and ducked into Kringla for refuge, but how could a person stare a tray of schoolbread in the face and NOT buy one? Others may be strong enough, but not me! I didn't expect to be eating it, but it still hit as good as it always has.

The accidental schoolbread did, however, sadly signal the end of our festival booth purchases since we were now having to walk up an appetite as we headed to our lunch reservation!

Shiki-Sai (Japan pavillion)

We'd eaten here on our last trip to Epcot a few months back, and enjoyed it so much we needed to come back!

Violet Sake - Popular violet-colored sake cocktail

20240116_130401.jpg

Probably one of my favorite cocktails I've ever had at Disney, and there's nothing much to it - sake is my favorite liquor, purple is my favorite color, combine them both and I'm a happy camper. :laughing:

Gari Gari Sour Orange​

Shochu & orange popsicle with soda

image000007(1).jpg

DH enjoyed this and thought it was refreshing, but I found the slow, fizzy, alka-seltzer-esque dissolution of the ice pop into the liquor was off-putting to watch. :laughing:

For an appetizer, we actually decided to share an entrée from the grill just because we wanted to try it!

Okonomiyaki​

Japanese savory pancake filled with bacon

image000006(1).jpg

Since it was cold and rainy outside still, this wound up making a great appetizer, really warmed us up.
I would opt for the vegetable-only version next time though, the bacon flavor was REALLY prominent here and overpowered everything else a bit to where it didn't taste quite like any okonomiyaki I've had before. I enjoyed it, but I was glad it wasn't my entrée!

For our entrees, we both went with rice bowls -

Unagi Don​

Grilled freshwater eel served over tamagoyaki on a bed of steamed rice, drizzled with a savory sauce

20240116_133445.jpg

I looooove eel and this was just a simple bowl of well-made food. The eel wasn't overcooked, the egg omelet was super soft and creamy, I was very satisfied with my selection.

UNTIL I tried DH's

Ishiyaki-Sukiyaki Rice​

Grill strips of beef in hot stone bowl at your tableside along with spinach and rice in a sweet garlic sauce

image000005(1).jpg

Nothing better on a cold day than a hot stone sizzling bowl of food! The flavor of this was UNREAL, beefy and savory and umami and just incredible. After DH offered me a taste of this, I asked for three more spoonfuls, and eventually he got territorial. :laughing: I enjoyed my rice bowl but I LOVED his, this is easily going to be my order the next time we go to Epcot!

Another great meal at Shiki-Sai on the books! The service is always fantastic and we love the atmosphere (especially during this meal, in the rain, looking out at the showcase lagoon, so pretty!) and while it may be too early after only two visits, Shiki-Sai is definitely zooming into first place in our Epcot ranking.

Joining in! Nothing better than reading about yummy Disney food on these cold January days!

Temporarily delayed in my reviews by our cruise on the Wish (we loved it!), back to the action!

Hollywood Brown Derby

HBD has long been our favorite place in DHS for food, although in terms of overall fun factor Sci-Fi Dine-In has our heart (especially on a hot summer day, their AC is always blasting!) We knew we wanted to close out DHS for the evening so dinner at HBD was an easy choice. I did briefly have a reservation at Woody's BBQ, but I canceled it - the menu just isn't appealing, and since our stay was so short I chose not to pick a restaurant based purely on curiosity. :laughing: Someday we'll take the plunge and give it a try!

The server we had was super familiar to us, pretty sure we've had him at HBD in the past. He was the type that becomes progressively less smiley and more business-like depending on your order, esp if you skip the drink menu :laughing: But he was ON IT in terms of refilling our water and cokes!

For appetizers, I chose -

Beet and Burrata​

Spiced Granola, Hazelnut, Blood Orange Vinaigrette

20240116_183223.jpg

I can't stress how weird but good this dish was to me. The "spiced" granola was still more sweet than savory, beets are of course naturally sweet, and the hazelnut sauce on the bottom was also sweet. The burrata had beet root powder, I think??? on the top of it that lent it kind of an earthy taste. Texturally, this dish was a lot of fun, so much contrast between the soft smooth burrata and all the granola bits, but it tasted like eating a breakfast bowl in a way that my brain just couldn't process. I cleaned my bowl though, it really was tasty! Just weird!

DH went with the -

Crab Louie​

Crispy Olive Bread, Citrus Blend, Fried Capers, Louie Sauce

image000000(63).jpg

Neither of us knew what exactly a Crab Louie was when he ordered it, turns out it's sort of like a tuna avocado stack? DH loves crab in all forms so he expected to enjoy it, and he did! The crab itself is hidden by the TWO enormous bread slices but he thought it was a pretty generously sized appetizer overall.

Our Famous Cobb Salad (RIP)​

Spit-roasted Turkey, Bacon, Egg, Tomatoes, Blue Cheese, Avocado, Classic Dressing.

20240116_185134.jpg

Our server started mixing it as soon as he got to the table and before I could snap a pic of it in its "ingredients" state, but as I probably don't even need to tell you, this salad has fallen far from its former glory. I honestly think the server started mixing it so quickly just so we couldn't ask where the rest of it was. They used to place it in front of you, let you ooh and ahh, ask if you'd like it mixed, then take out the giant spoons and do so, but now it was more of a "don't look and don't ask questions" vibe. :laughing:

Taste-wise is it still a decent salad? YES! We both enjoyed it. But it looks like 90% lettuce in the pic, and that's also how it tasted, like well-dressed lettuce with occasional taunting nibbles of avocado or turkey or cheese, etc.

Disney's HBD site still shows an image of what the salad looked like in say its 2009-2014 peak...but I can't blame Disney...this salad used to cost $13 and look like this, but if I went to publix for the ingredients to make it exactly like this I'd probably have to spend close to $50. :laughing:

Screenshot 2024-01-22 124751.jpg

But! Not all changes are bad!

DH passed on dessert but I had to give another old favorite a revisit...

Grapefruit Cake​

A Brown Derby Original. Vanilla Sponge Cake, Grapefruit Syrup, Cream Cheese Icing

20240116_191025.jpg

When it first came out I legitimately thought "oh no, inflation strikes again"...where was the towering presentation? Where was the candied grapefruit slice? Why was it all smooth like jello and why was there five inches of frosting at the top?!

But the TASTE! The taste was still like I remembered. I don't like grapefruit in its natural form but I LOVE how its tartness lends such an interesting flavor to this cake, blends well with the tang of the cream cheese, and lessens the overall sugary sweetness. It's SO good. DH is not a fan of it at all, so if you aren't either you're not alone, but this was by far my favorite part of my meal here.

As long as that cake remains I'll probably keep periodically coming back to HBD. At least, unless they resurrect Starring Rolls and I can snag a slice of cake only. :laughing:

Yak & Yeti

AK is the one park where we could eat at any restaurant and be happy, whether quick service or table service. IMO it's the park with the best food. No bias here, ignore my pfp :laughing:

BUT I am a Landry's Select Member, joined it many years ago purely for use at Yak & Yeti, and so we always eat here in January when my $25 birthday gift hits the account. And it's always great to be able to walk in when we want without ADRs! Seriously if you visit WDW with any frequency and love Y&Y/Rainforest/TRex, the membership pays for itself tenfold.

It was a very cold (for Floridians) day in AK, and the weather affected my ordering plans. I'd had my eyes on the ahi tuna nachos, but we opted for a hot appetizer instead to warm us up!

Korean Fried Chicken​

Hand-breaded tenders tossed in gochujang maple syrup, dipping sauce

20240117_124040.jpg

DH absolutely loved this, but for me it was just a tad too salty. The chicken was SUPER crunchy, which I appreciate, but between the seasoning in the breading, the glaze, and the dipping sauce I was about to ask our server to leave behind a carafe of water!

THAI BASIL CHICKEN
Wok-fried ground chicken, shiitake mushrooms, sugar snap peas, peppers, Thai basil, wide egg noodles tossed in spicy basil sauce

20240117_125250.jpg

This is actually a dish I make at home (minus the noodles) and when I do, I use so many Thai chilis it makes your eyes water just walking by the kitchen, so when our server cautioned me "this dish is spicy, is that okay?" I held back my laughter and assured him I'd be fine. And true to form, this was Disney-level spicy, as in non-existent. There were 2 chili peppers I found mixed in with a ton of sliced red, orange, and green bellpeppers. :laughing: But it had a great depth of flavor from all the fresh basil and the noodles were chewy in the best way. I really enjoyed the dish. But the portion size was HUUUUUUUUUUGE. We're talking Cheesecake Factory levels here!

DH ordered a new specialty menu item -

CANTONESE PORK BELLY BOWL*​

Char Siu pork belly, stir-fried Yakisoba Noodles with carrots, shiitake mushrooms & scallions, grilled bok choy, crispy pork wontons, fried egg, chili crisp

image000001(8).jpg

Isn't that gorgeous? A dish so pretty we immediately texted it to a friend. I'm not a big pork fan so I didn't try it but I sure was tempted. DH said it was charred nicely on the outside but still moist on the inside, and the egg was cooked perfectly to where he could spread the yolk out into the noodles. He loved this dish.

But, once again, the portion was MASSIVE. I guess Yak & Yeti didn't get the call from Brown Derby yet about shrinkflation. :laughing: We saw many other tables leaving with leftover boxes and I hated to waste food, but we had hours left in the park ahead of us, it wasn't feasible for us to carry them around with us.

We passed on dessert, but another satisfying (and cheap, with that $25 credit!) meal at Yak & Yeti on the books!

Last edited:
Space 220 aka "DISboards have lied to me!"

Space, the final frontier! We'd never been able to score a reservation to Space 220 since it opened up, it seemed impossible to snag. But when we found out one of our neighbors, who isn't even a big WDW enthusiast, had eaten here by casually looking up reservations while already in the park and strolling their way into a last minute ADR, we pledged to get serious about it and buckle down on the app. And sure enough, at around 3PM a dinner slot for 6:40PM popped up that we were able to grab.

We went into this reservation excited for "the experience" but all the reviews I'd read and vlogs I'd seen put our expectations very, very low in terms of food. The bar was nearly at the floor, they were so low!

We both found the "elevator" ascent into the restaurant charming and fun, and were seated at a table a couple rows in from the windows.

image000000(61).jpg

Our server was lovely but quirky and delivered nonstop space puns throughout our meal. I almost wanted to ask if she'd previously worked at Hoop Dee Doo or 50's Prime-Time. :laughing:

Drinks (no idea why these both came out so blurry!)

Gamma Burst​

Grey Goose Strawberry Lemongrass, Midori Melon Liqueur, Strawberry Popping Pearls

20240117_190721.jpg

I couldn't resist when I saw a drink listed containing midori, my fave - but honestly I was a little disappointed by the drink when it came out. I thought all the drinks at Space 220 involved some sort of spacey razzle-dazzle, like smoke or cotton candy or something! The taste was good though, and the popping pearls were fun but not really unique enough IMO!

Black Hole Fashioned​

Knob Creek, Demerara, Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters

image000001(7).jpg

DH always goes for the kinds of drinks that would destroy me in one sip. He liked it! But again, felt like it needed more space-y allure!

For appetizers, I chose -

Curry Carrot Bisque​

Coconut Lime Foam, Tempura Shrimp, Spiced Pumpkin Seeds

20240117_192251.jpg

UGH, I loved this, it was a combination of some of my favorite things. I love carrot soups, but often they tend to be on the sweeter side, but this was purely savory with a nice spice from the curry. The shrimp look terrible and more like truffles or space coal briquets but they tasted great, and I appreciated the crunch from the pepitas. I cleaned my bowl!

DH went with the...

Blue Moon Cauliflower​

Tempura Fried Cauliflower, Housemade Hot Sauce, Blue Cheese Dust

image000003(1).jpg

He loved the play on the classic buffalo wing flavor profile, and the cauliflower was delivered HOT and perfectly crispy. The only thing he didn't eat up was the celery pieces - his least favorite vegetable :laughing:

We were off to a surprisingly good start, and time for our entrees!

I paid a slight surcharge to upgrade my entree to the...

Half Lobster Stuffed with Jumbo Crab*​

Roasted Corn, Broccolini, Mornay Sauce.

20240117_194606.jpg

When they set this (SIZZLING HOT) plate down in front of me I thought there'd been a mistake. The menu description read HALF a lobster but this sure looked like...two halves...aka One Whole :laughing: Our server told me they'd just changed "back" to serving a whole lobster but hadn't updated the menu yet. What a surprise for me!

Now maybe I'm just a simple gal who is easily pleased, but this was delicious. The lobster tail was sizable and easily pulled out of the shell, and the lobster torso bit instead of being filled with less-tasty meat that is impossible to get to, was replaced by the crab filling, with the lobster claw meat on top. The crab stuffing was creamy and delicious but the real star was the lobster meat itself, and the copious amounts of hot butter (not shown) I'd poured over it all.

And that broccolini! It was HUGE, and cooked perfectly, no mush!

DH went with the

Bone-In Pork Chop*​

Slow Roasted 16-oz Niman Ranch Pork Chop, Corn Flan, Succotash, Spiced Applesauce

image000002(3).jpg

All I can about this is that I simply blinked and then his plate was clean. :laughing: He was staring down at his plate forlornly and said "I kind of want to just gnaw on the bone...but I won't" so that's how much he enjoyed it (and props to him for his restrained table manners!)

At this point we were feeling kind of hoodwinked with how well things were going, but last up was dessert, sometimes my make-or-break part of a meal!

My selection was

The Astra​

Honey Cake, Almond Mascarpone Mousse, Honey Cream, Lingonberry Jam, Honeycomb Cookie

20240117_203402.jpg

I'd mentioned to my server it had been my birthday the day before but I purposely don't put celebrations for me on my ADRs. When the food runner brought the dessert out and stood next to me lighting the candle, I asked him, slightly horrified, "you're not going to sing, are you?" but he laughed with glee and told me it was for the good of everyone in the restaurant that no, he wasn't. :laughing: He simply wished me a happy birthday and set the plate down so I could blow out the candle. My kind of quiet celebration!

I'd also been encouraged to mix the layers of the dessert and not leave the lingonberry jam last on its own, and once I started eating I could see why that was advised. That jam was TART! The texture of this dessert was so interesting, everything wasn't really layered like a parfait or trifle but sort of blended together, softer than a cake, thicker than a mousse. The sweet sweet honey and mascarpone combined with the jam was just so good. It didn't blow me away as much as the prior two courses, but I thoroughly enjoyed it!

DH went with the

Chocolate and Raspberry Cake​

Raspberry Chocolate Crémeux, Raspberry Marmalade, Dark Chocolate Ganache, Cocoa Nib Glaze

image000001(9).jpg

I did get to try this, and while the cake looks a bit dry in the photo it definitely wasn't. It had the sort of smooth, airy consistency of a mousse cake, with strong raspberry flavor from the filling. I liked the flavor profile of my dessert much more, but DH was happy with this!

With our desserts finished we kind of waited for our bill in a "what just happened?" sort of shocked stupor. :laughing: I honestly don't know if the food was truly THAT good or if the bar had truly been set SO low by others that we were overwhelmingly and pleasantly surprised. It was one of those perfect disney dining experiences where you get to enjoy something new and have fun along with some good food.

I don't think we'll be back anytime soon; it's too pricey for a casual park-day meal, and the overall experience is very, VERY long (we sat down at 6:40 and left juuuust before park close at 8:50!!!) so we'll keep the good memory from this one night unspoiled for awhile to come!

What a wonderful surprise experience at Space 220! So very glad you had a great meal. Everything looks so good ::yes::
I have also read many so-so reviews of this restaurant, so never felt inclined to try for a Ressie. Perhaps we will reconsider... Thanks for sharing!

Summerhouse on the Lake

DH and I don't go to Disney Springs often, because generally if we're gonna make the drive out to the LBV area we want to hit up a park and not a place that offers only opportunities to spend money. :laughing: So usually we're among the last to try new places at the Springs, this lunch may be the soonest we've hit up a restaurant after opening!

20240118_110352.jpg

I love the decor in Summerhouse, it's exactly my kind of pinterest plantmom vibe (DH actually said "this looks like our house") and found it to have a very comfortable, pretty atmosphere. The only thing I'd change was the music, the space itself was so calming I wish they'd been playing some lofi or acoustics or coffee house type tracks, but when we were there it was sort of 'club pop' music.

I asked the server "what exactly is a cheesy dream puff?" and when she likened it to brazilian cheese bread I was sold. :laughing:

cheesy dream puffs

20240118_111144.jpg

These were interesting! They were similar to brazilian cheese bread but with a slightly more 'puffy' soufflé-like spongy texture. We enjoyed them, but I don't know if I'd order them again. Also there were a TON in the order.

For my entree I really wanted something light and refreshing, and opted for the -

Turkey Stack
havarti, lettuce, tomato, bacon, grain mustard, mayo, 9 grain bread, fries

20240118_112059.jpg

This was perfect to me! If you like turkey clubs, you'll enjoy this. It's nothing revolutionary, just a good quality turkey sandwich.

Look, I'm no light eater, and I don't know if it was just me feeling the impact of two days of heavy park meals, but this sandwich seemed MASSIVE to me. I made it through one half and couldn't touch the other. So I had it boxed up and enjoyed it for dinner in the evening after we made it home. Talk about a bargain priced meal!

Side note - when I asked our server for a box, instead of providing one she cleared our plates, then returned with the meal boxed and bagged. Which is good service, I suppose, but not something I'm used to. And when I opened the box at home later that night, I discovered she'd not only boxed up the untouched sandwich half, but also...the scraps from my mostly-eaten first half, as well as random fries, and a leftover cheese puff. It seemed so odd to me, it made me laugh. But I can appreciate not wanting to waste any food!

DH went with the -

Crispy Chicken Sandwich
avocado, buttermilk dressing, lettuce, fries

image000000(62).jpg

I felt a little vindicated when DH put his sandwich down halfway through and said "I'm struggling." It seemed really were just fooded out. He rallied to finish his plate though, and when I pestered him for his thoughts I got little more than "it's good". :laughing: He did say the chicken filet seemed huge but it was nicely crispy, like the fries. I agreed with that, I love when french fries are super crispy, and these were well-seasoned too.

I'd heard so much about their cookies and really intended to snag a cookie from the cookie bar to bring home and put up to a taste challenge versus Gideon's (which we'd already stopped at - coming in the next post!) but we were so full we headed off without. Still, we considered this a great meal that hit the spot. I wouldn't mind going back to try more!

Gideon's Bakehouse - The Redemption!

Since we'd arrived at Disney Springs relatively early in the day and there was minimal wait, we decided it was finally time to give Gideon's a second chance. We'd been once before and purchased three different cookie flavors to try - neither of us had been able to finish a single one. They were just not our kind of cookie, too dough-like and underbaked. We'd also tried their PB iced coffee on that visit and hadn't even liked that. We'd been so disappointed!

On this visit, I gave their current limited edition cold brew a try.

French Toast Cold Brew

20240118_103249.jpg

WOW was this a different experience for me than the pb cold brew. I LOVED this. It was SO sweet, I could definitely see it being too sweet for some, with the cinnamon sugar flavor pretty intense. It tasted so indulgent! DH took one sip and said "it tastes like they poured cinnamon toast crunch cereal milk into coffee", which, yes, exactly! And that to me was a good thing! To him, not so much. :laughing:

We waited until we were home to try the baked goods. I decided to be bold and daring this time and ordered a cake slice.

Golden Oreo Cake Slice

20240118_142640.jpg

I don't even have enough words for this cake. I'm actually crying as I write this because I don't have a slice in front of me (ok not really but-). The picture doesn't do it justice. I've never had a golden oreo cookie, but I love oreos, I love the flavor of oreos when they've been dunked in milk. But I don't really care for the richness of chocolate cake, I much prefer vanilla. And somehow this was a vanilla cake, that tasted exactly like milky oreos. It was kind of a mind trip! I usually prefer cakes with a lower ratio of icing so I really expected this to be too much for me, but it wasn't, I loved the flavor so much I wanted even more. It probably should have taken me a week to finish this massive slice but I'm gonna be real with you, it only took a day. No shame! :laughing:

Maple Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookie

20240119_085402.jpg

So because I was too busy eating cake, it took me a couple days to muster up the appetite to try the cookie. Perhaps the review isn't fair then because it was less fresh. Walnut chocolate chip is my favorite kind of cookie, so I went into this feeling hopeful, but just like my first Gideon's visit, it's just not the kind of cookie for me. It tastes like a mound of cookie dough which I've never been a fan of.

So, while I'll still pass on the cookies next time, I absolutely WILL hit Gideon's again for a coffee and a cake slice. I now have a favorable opinion of them. This is why I always try to give second chances! DH, however, remains firmly in the anti camp, having not liked the coffee or cookie or (gasp) the cake slice. Can't win 'em all!

What a wonderful surprise experience at Space 220! So very glad you had a great meal. Everything looks so good ::yes::
I have also read many so-so reviews of this restaurant, so never felt inclined to try for a Ressie. Perhaps we will reconsider... Thanks for sharing!

Rats! Now I am back to trying to land space 220

Oh no, I'm starting to sweat, this pressure :laughing:

Honestly though I hope you all do give it a try AND I hope your meals go as well as ours did! Sending good dining vibes!

Gideon's Bakehouse - The Redemption!

Since we'd arrived at Disney Springs relatively early in the day and there was minimal wait, we decided it was finally time to give Gideon's a second chance. We'd been once before and purchased three different cookie flavors to try - neither of us had been able to finish a single one. They were just not our kind of cookie, too dough-like and underbaked. We'd also tried their PB iced coffee on that visit and hadn't even liked that. We'd been so disappointed!

On this visit, I gave their current limited edition cold brew a try.

French Toast Cold Brew

View attachment 828032

WOW was this a different experience for me than the pb cold brew. I LOVED this. It was SO sweet, I could definitely see it being too sweet for some, with the cinnamon sugar flavor pretty intense. It tasted so indulgent! DH took one sip and said "it tastes like they poured cinnamon toast crunch cereal milk into coffee", which, yes, exactly! And that to me was a good thing! To him, not so much. :laughing:

We waited until we were home to try the baked goods. I decided to be bold and daring this time and ordered a cake slice.

Golden Oreo Cake Slice

View attachment 828034

I don't even have enough words for this cake. I'm actually crying as I write this because I don't have a slice in front of me (ok not really but-). The picture doesn't do it justice. I've never had a golden oreo cookie, but I love oreos, I love the flavor of oreos when they've been dunked in milk. But I don't really care for the richness of chocolate cake, I much prefer vanilla. And somehow this was a vanilla cake, that tasted exactly like milky oreos. It was kind of a mind trip! I usually prefer cakes with a lower ratio of icing so I really expected this to be too much for me, but it wasn't, I loved the flavor so much I wanted even more. It probably should have taken me a week to finish this massive slice but I'm gonna be real with you, it only took a day. No shame! :laughing:

Maple Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookie

View attachment 828036

So because I was too busy eating cake, it took me a couple days to muster up the appetite to try the cookie. Perhaps the review isn't fair then because it was less fresh. Walnut chocolate chip is my favorite kind of cookie, so I went into this feeling hopeful, but just like my first Gideon's visit, it's just not the kind of cookie for me. It tastes like a mound of cookie dough which I've never been a fan of.

So, while I'll still pass on the cookies next time, I absolutely WILL hit Gideon's again for a coffee and a cake slice. I now have a favorable opinion of them. This is why I always try to give second chances! DH, however, remains firmly in the anti camp, having not liked the coffee or cookie or (gasp) the cake slice. Can't win 'em all!
Happy to see another Golden Oreo cake slice fan! I can't tell you how many trips I took to Gideon's hoping it would be a day they had that cake before I found the site that posts the monthly cake slice schedule :)

I strongly recommend the Rainbow Crunch cake slice. I, too, prefer Yellow/vanilla to chocolate cake. I did try the Maple Walnut featured cake slice, and did not really like it. The chocolate cake part was OK, but just too much maple flavor overall.

Really enjoyed your review. I’m headed for a 2 week semi-solo trip (will be in the parks solo) and am now intrigued to try places I hadn’t considered.

I do love Yak and Yeti and Landry’s birthday reward always makes it a must-do. I stack it with buying 20% off Landry’s gift cards from Costco/Sam’s Club and it makes eating there much more affordable. Pair that with great food and a really enjoyable menu and we end up there every trip.

I hadn’t realized HBD’s cobb salad has grown much smaller though :( I only tried it for the first time in Feb 2020. This was what mine looked like when I was there for lunch in Aug 2023.

7E2520D2-FF73-4856-B4B3-9780C38CE83D.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter