January 25th Fantasy Sailing Modified

Kennywood

Kennywood
Technical Issue Causes Itinerary Modification to Jan. 25 Disney Fantasy Sailing
by Jackie Gailey

The Disney Fantasy is currently experiencing a technical issue that requires the ship to sail at a reduced speed. Disney Cruise Line has stated that the ship is operating safely and will be back to full speed by Tuesday, but, the cruise’s itinerary needs to be modified. As a result, the Disney Fantasy will no longer stop in Tortola on Tuesday, January 28. The port has been replaced with a call to the Port of San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Below is the modified itinerary:

• Saturday, January 25: Port Canaveral
• Sunday, January 26: At Sea
• Monday, January 27: At Sea
• Tuesday, January 28: San Juan (previously Tortola)
• Wednesday, January 29: St. Thomas
• Thursday, January 30: At Sea
• Friday, January 31: Castaway Cay
• Saturday, February 1: Port Canaveral

Pre-reserved Port Adventures in Tortola will automatically be removed from guests’ cruise plans and Disney Cruise Line will attempt to accommodate guests with excursions available in San Juan. Any pre-reserved services at Palo, Remy, It’s A Small World Nursery, and Senses Spa will also remain as originally scheduled.

As a gesture of goodwill, and to thank guests for their understanding, Disney Cruise Line will be providing each stateroom with a $150 onboard credit.

Source: https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...odification-to-jan-25-disney-fantasy-sailing/

I thought if the cruise ship departs from the U.S., it had to visit a foreign port.? Which is why the Hawaii cruises depart out of Canada. Is there some exception for mechanical difficulties or something?

Edit - Never mind, just saw the Castaway Cay at the bottom.

I thought if the cruise ship departs from the U.S., it had to visit a foreign port.? Which is why the Hawaii cruises depart out of Canada. Is there some exception for mechanical difficulties or something?

Edit - Never mind, just saw the Castaway Cay at the bottom.

That's a good question. I wonder if there might be an exception if a ship can document the issue, or maybe they might have to pay a fine.

That's a good question. I wonder if there might be an exception if a ship can document the issue, or maybe they might have to pay a fine.
If a ship violates the PVSA (the law that addresses this issue), then the ship/cruise line is fined. But the fined can be waived with proof that they can prove they had no choice in the matter. But the fact that they were fined due to the violation remains on the record.

Haven't skipped a beat - Fantasy and its speed issues. Looks like the severity meter has been notched up. They will probably put a bandage on it for now, but it's a flawed ship - and really needs an extended dry dock. Or they should simply swap out its longer-distance itineraries for something closer by.

Haven't skipped a beat - Fantasy and its speed issues. Looks like the severity meter has been notched up. They will probably put a bandage on it for now, but it's a flawed ship - and really needs an extended dry dock. Or they should simply swap out its longer-distance itineraries for something closer by.
I don't know if it's a flawed ship, but it definitely has some vibration problems. I thought the TV in our room was going to fall off it was shaking so violently. I had to stuff towels around it the first day so it would stop. The room host never moved the towels. I'm sure he knew exactly why I did it.

Curious why the same issues don't occur on the Dream as they have similar designs? Was the Fantasy built before the Dream and the issues have been corrected by the time the Dream was built?

LAX

There have been quite a few non-Disney ships also having issues lately where they have had to miss ports or cancel entire itineraries and send it to dry dock.

Curious why the same issues don't occur on the Dream as they have similar designs? Was the Fantasy built before the Dream and the issues have been corrected by the time the Dream was built?

LAX
Since the Dream and Fantasy are Dream Class ships, I am pretty sure the Dream was built first.

On the Fantasy right now making our way to Port Canaveral and really didn't know there were any issues. There was a dive crew under the ship while we were in Castaway today. We had a super rough night last night with rocking. A few of the crew were even complaining about it the rocking. One person said he had been on the Fantasy for 7 years and it was the first time he felt motion sickness.

I just assumed it was weather related. We were unable to stop at Grand Cayman or Jamaica. We didn't get off at Cozumel so today was the first time we stood on dry land @ CC.

Do they compensate you for not docking at the ports?
Nope.

Just refunded excursion and port fees.

I will say we had a wonderful surprise. Believe was supposed to be tonight but they moved it to Wednesday (supposed to be Jamaica day). Leslie, the CD, said she didn't know what they were going to do tonight. They ended up scheduling something called a Farwell show with no description. We went to see what it was. It started with a ventriloquist (he was on all week because they could not change performers since we missed the ports) then Leslie said they worked something up for us. They brought out the 5 principals of the Frozen show and they sang the new songs from Frozen II. It was AMAZING!!!! Really amazing.

Yup. It says a $150 on board credit above.

My answer was in regards to actually missing the ports, in our case due to weather. There was nothing but refund of port fees.

We also got zilch when we missed CC a year ago due to weather.

The $150 is because Disney is changing ports due to mechanical issues.

LAX
Dream has never done anything long distance at speed, so - for all we know - it may have the same problem. They would have swapped them out a while ago if it was all Fantasy.

My feeling is, they are waiting for the new ships to start sailing before taking one offline for an extended period of time. Or to swap out the itineraries. I know they have agreements in place with ports for a minimum number of passenger movements, and the opportunity cost along with the contractual penalties may be holding them back.

If the ships have to go back to Germany/Meyer Werft for these repairs, it may be cheaper just to deploy them on a shorter itinerary in the Bahamas or out of Miami.

We were on the first cruise after the Fantasy dry dock in May ‘17 and we, too, had to make an adjustment and stop in Puerto Rico. We were disappointed but ended up loving Old San Juan!!! We all said how it actually ended up being a delightful surprise. We did go to Tortola about a year and a half later and enjoyed it. That was after Maria, so a lot of damage. While I know it’s disappointing to have a schedule change, I hope the passengers enjoy it as much as we did.

Dream has never done anything long distance at speed, so - for all we know - it may have the same problem. They would have swapped them out a while ago if it was all Fantasy.
We will have to wait until November and hear any reports When the Dream is on a 7 night eastern and needs to run at full speed for a couple days and see if there are issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter