Job seeking and need some input

KDIPIAZZ

Mouseketeer
I applied for a job which I am suitably qualified for. I just received the following email
Your resume indicates that you may be a suitable fit for the positon of XXX. I need someone who can hit the ground running and never look back. We are growing like wild fire and the diversity of our programming is immense.

That said, we are a nonprofit, and we typically run a bit behind the corporate world in terms of pay scale. What salary were you looking to acquire? I have already interviewed several excellent candidates. The sticking point is always the starting salary.

Please let me know where you are in that regard, and I will get back to you.

I don't want to waste my time or theirs should the salary be lower than what I am currently making. I also don't want to lowball myself if it should turn out that their sticking point is not my sticking point. I'd like to send back something like the reply below. Thoughts?

XXX, It must be frustrating to have found several candidates you love, but simply can’t afford. It would be helpful if you’re able to share your budgeted range for the position. Of course salary is negotiable based on the responsibilities of the position and total benefit package, but knowing your starting salary would enable me to let you know if it makes sense for us to talk further.

Last edited:
I applied for a job which I am suitably qualified for. I just received the following email
Your resume indicates that you may be a suitable fit for the positon of XXX. I need someone who can hit the ground running and never look back. We are growing like wild fire and the diversity of our programming is immense.

That said, we are a nonprofit, and we typically run a bit behind the corporate world in terms of pay scale. What salary were you looking to acquire? I have already interviewed several excellent candidates. The sticking point is always the starting salary.

I don't want to waste my time or theirs should the salary be lower than what I am currently making. I also don't want to lowball myself if it should turn out that their sticking point is not my sticking point. I'd like to send back something like the reply below. Thoughts?

XXX, It must be frustrating to have found several candidates you love, but simply can’t afford. It would be helpful if you’re able to share your budgeted range for the position. Of course salary is negotiable based on the total benefit package, but knowing your starting salary would enable me to let you know if it makes sense for us to talk further.

I think you should just lay it out what the minimum is that you want. Playing "you go first" isn't productive. I doubt that they will tell you their budget.

XXX, It must be frustrating to have found several candidates you love, but simply can’t afford. It would be helpful if you’re able to share your budgeted range for the position. Of course salary is negotiable based on the total benefit package, but knowing your starting salary would enable me to let you know if it makes sense for us to talk further.

Personally I would not waste their or your time playing games by giving them a non answer and asking for their range now that they have asked for yours. Just tell them you need at least X with a strong inruance and vacation package or more salary if the ebenfits are not strong and you hope this is within their abilities to provide.

It sounds like they're planning on hiring the qualified candidate who will accept the least money. I think you're going to have to tell them what you can live with and expect that if they're interested, that's what you will get. URGH. I loved your email, but I doubt it's what they want. They want to hire at the lowest they can. Beyond that might be negotiable though.

How about something like "I would be willing to start as low as xx, but would be interested in talking about what the future would look like at your company."

My son interned for an NPO this summer. True they paid lower than a private corporation, but their benefits seemed pretty awesome.

As others have said, I would not counter them with another question.

Lay out your salary requirements but also let them know that if their benefits package was superior, you could compensate your salary requirements that way.

Sometimes the best jobs have the lowest salary.

I started at a local child/spousal support office and was making $43k. I hated it.
I left that job and at the job I am now. I love it so much but I'm making half. I love my job so much that it's ok I'm making less money. sometimes more money doesn't mean great job.

When looking to hire people one of the first things I pay attention to is if they follow directions. If I ask for their salary requirement and they avoid or redirect before answering they move to the no pile. If you can't or refuse to do what I asked you to do before you were hired then I'm not interested in seeing if that trend will continue after hiring.

I think all of the replies above are excellent. I don't think you could go wrong in taking any of the advice.

I agree, you need to state a salary, I would give a range but state that you are open to negotiate once you know the scope of the job, the responsibilities, the benefits etc.

If you need to make at least what you are making now tell them that. I need make $XXK per year. Why waste time, if you know what you need to make.

Exactly. You know what your minimum is. Just tell them a range. Otherwise you are just wasting your time.

Yikes! Their email is terrible. All I hear is "We expect you to bust your butt working here but we can't pay you what you're truly worth." Sounds like a dream job. :crazy2:

If you really want to work there throw them the lowest possible wage and see if they bite. I'm gonna bet your lowest possible wage is still too much for them to pay. Either way don't sell yourself short. Sounds like they're looking for someone whose bored and doesn't need to make a living.

Good luck!:)

Be strait up and give them a number you would actually accept, but keep in mind with a low budget raises will also probably be hard to come by. At this time you should also ask about all other benefits since they play a role in what number you would accept

I work for a company that is classified as a non-profit and the salaries are not much lower than corporations I've worked for. I'd say there's maybe a 10% difference, so don't sell yourself too short. I'd send a number but indicate your willing to negotiate as not all compensation comes in the form of salary. I'd give up some $ for additional vacation time.

I work for a company that is classified as a non-profit and the salaries are not much lower than corporations I've worked for. I'd say there's maybe a 10% difference, so don't sell yourself too short. I'd send a number but indicate your willing to negotiate as not all compensation comes in the form of salary. I'd give up some $ for additional vacation time.

I know several folks that have tried the additional vacation time route. It tends to be non-negotiable, often just because they don't want employees with the same tenure at different vacation levels. I suspect because their payroll systems just aren't set up to deal with that. A friend works for a small company, 12 employees, and their boss doesn't give paid vacation time because he doesn't want to have to track it. Instead each employee on December 1st gets a check for 4 weeks pay as a bonus and/or in compensation for no paid time off. You can take as much time off without pay as you want, you just don't get paid. He did the same with sick time, 2 weeks pay for that, but California changed the law and made paid sick leave ....6 days a year...mandatory. His employees now get that, so basically they get 4 days less pay for sick time.

I know several folks that have tried the additional vacation time route. It tends to be non-negotiable, often just because they don't want employees with the same tenure at different vacation levels. I suspect because their payroll systems just aren't set up to deal with that. A friend works for a small company, 12 employees, and their boss doesn't give paid vacation time because he doesn't want to have to track it. Instead each employee on December 1st gets a check for 4 weeks pay as a bonus and/or in compensation for no paid time off. You can take as much time off without pay as you want, you just don't get paid. He did the same with sick time, 2 weeks pay for that, but California changed the law and made paid sick leave ....6 days a year...mandatory. His employees now get that, so basically they get 4 days less pay for sick time.
I am sure there are places where there is no wiggle room for vacation time, but there are plenty of places where there is. DH negotiated for added vacation (and received it) at least 4 times that I can recall---at 4 different employers.

This is one area where people are really uncomfortable in their job searches. When you're looking for a new job, if you're not willing to take less than what you're making now, and you really want to look for a bump, then state that, in no uncertain terms, to the company. Don't ask for their range, it's not a case of the person who sets a price first is the weaker person in the negotiations, come into the situation confidently, knowing what you'll accept and won't accept, and if they can't, or won't, meet that, then you've saved both of you a lot of time and effort.

How about something like "I would be willing to start as low as xx, but would be interested in talking about what the future would look like at your company."

Something along these lines might work. Another approach would be to state that "I am making XXX at my current job(or last job as the case may be). I'm looking for a position that combines salary with benefits and quality-of-life perks as a package. I believe I'm a great fit for the position and look forward to discussing it with you further. "

If the hiring person is creative maybe they can figure out a way to at least come close to the salary you're after, and they can consider some flexibility in your hours, work from home, some extra days off around holidays, etc.

Last edited:
Keep it simple...

"I appreciate you making sure neither one of us wastes our time. I would need $xx in order to consider taking the position. If that is reasonable to you, I look forward to talking to you further. If not, thank you for your time and consideration."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter