• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

John Yaglenski (Intercot) claiming BK and Monorail expansion on the way

Think, hoax for monorail, mabey for BK. People, this is new Disney, if it ain't gotta movie tie in or is really cheep, don't expect it. But if it is true, what is the time period they would announce something like this?

Maybe disney could make a movie based on their monorail rides to the parks??? It could be a perfect tie-in. Maybe have a group of terrorists take a monorail over and have a hero come on board and kill them and save all the families on the monorail!!!

If the Monorail is Expanded, you will still have Disney Buses, the
Monorail will not go to all the Hotels, but instead you will have to take the Bus from your Hotel such as All Stars over to the AK Park then you would get on the Monorail, if you were going to MK or Epcot you may also have to Change Monorails too.

Disney is Replacing all its Buses with the New Nova Bus. These Buses are Being Lease, and the plan is to Replace them every 5 to 6 years.

One part of the Rumour was that Downtown Disney would be the Hub for all the Monorails, I don't think Downtown Disney is going to be the best spot for a Central Hub, more Like Epcot is in the Middle of the Disney property, and would be a better choice. Also Downtown Disney has a Major Parking & Traffic problems every Night, I know, I would not want to have to deal with this Traffic Nightmare.

Any transportation system that DOESN'T incorporate the resorts is, IMHO, not much of a help. The $ value to Disney in upping it's transportation is that , hopefully, it increases the reasons for staying in Disney hotels. IF the transportation only serves the themeparks from central parking lots this is self defeating.

I actually think any "hub" needs to be on the outskirts of WDW not in the middle. If it's in the middle it increases traffic throughout Disney. It needs to be on the edge surrounded by the main freeways. For this reason I think the area where I4, Osceola parkway, 535 and 192 converge would be the best place. Keep the traffic away from Disney, it has plenty of its own already LOL

Why can't each park serve as a hub? The 5 min ride from the all star sports to AK, then a monorail would be more enjoyable than a 20 min bus ride to MK. Disney already lists their resorts by which park is closer and Disney will never get ride of all the buses.
I like the idea of linking all the parks together. Day trippers would only need to park in one location and have access to everything as long as the pass they buy lets them use the transportation.
Also, once you link a monorail to a moderate or value resort, the
price will go up. JMHO

Personally I feel the monorail should definitely not go to the value resorts. Also, I am not sure how different the moderate resorts are. Some may almost be deluxe resorts with their price and amenities while others may almost be value, but the monorail should only go to some resorts, but definitely to all deluxe resorts since these are the people paying the most money for the best Disney has to offer.

Panthius

"Personally I feel the monorail should definitely not go to the value resorts.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why not???"

It would wreck the class system they have for the resorts. You can't have the people paying $79 a night getting monorail service the same as those at $350 a night rooms at the Grand Floridian!!!! This would cause trouble as Disney would then have to add perks to the Deluxe hotels to keep them seperated more from the Values.

Or we can get rid of the 'class' system that Baron believes exist and everyone staying onsite gets the Monorail which means exceeding guest expectations.

We've focused on the monorail expansion, but was trolling and stumbled onto this comment by the guy who moderates one of the mouseinfo.com discussion boards.

just because someone mentions it first doesn't necessary means they had the information first. For example, there's a new e ticket attraction green lighted in another park that is from DCA and I don't see any news on it yet. Just some things you can't always share...Michael
You may recall the earlier AV hint
I don’t know if I’d exactly be planning to go soaring over to the Animal Kingdom expecting to see Beastly Kingdom
If "soarin" is getting approved is this the final referendum on BK?

I bet they have done enough development work on the dragon coaster project to conduct a bake-off. If true, wonder if the attraction (technology, show concept, budget issue) or the theme (real vs. imaginary) was the compelling factor?

As I mentioned on another message board. How is Soarin over Australia going to fit into the AK? I am sure Soarin over Australia will be beautiful and wonderous but how will they tie ANIMALS into it. Will your hanglider swoop down on numerous terrified animals scattering herds. Might be interesting. A Carnivore over the plains type of story might work.

daannzzz (you've been here a while, time to explain the screen name) I'm not sure that Kali River Rapids has any animals in it. I don't recall, because nobody will go on it with me since they got drenched the first time.

Originally posted by daannzzz
Disney would then have to add perks to the Deluxe hotels to keep them seperated more from the Values.

Wouldn't adding amenities to every level of WDW resorts be an almost ideal solution for the All-Star's and Pop Century's percieved shortcomings? Don't just add "magic" (ie, the monorail) to the value resorts; rather, move all resorts upscale. The value properties move up close to where the moderates are today, while the deluxe resorts give us new and unprecedented levels of luxury. This preserves the "seperation" of resort categories supposedly necessary to justify the price difference, but (done correctly) addresses the more serious grievances against the All-Stars and PC. Right now, the monorail isn't the "perk" it once was anyway, simply because of all the (new) places it hasn't been expanded to. If it is to be a defining characteristic (and selling point) of a resort once again, the 'rails need to reach most everywhere (WWOS, the Speedway, etc. excluded).

The problem, of course, is room prices. I'll argue WDW needs something in the "value" category (say, $99 or less - but this should not consist of "Funky Chicken" decorations in lieu of immersive theming), but the added perks carry an expectation of higher prices.

Or we can get rid of the 'class' system that Baron believes exist and everyone staying onsite gets the Monorail which means exceeding guest expectations.

All WDW resorts should exceed guest expectations, however much you're paying. More importantly, that "class" system is totally unecessary to justify higher deluxe room prices. The Grand Floridian (deluxe) will always stand well above PC (value), and even with major architectural (and landscaping) "theme" changes and a monorail platform at Pop Century, I can't imagine anyone getting the two resorts confused. Give us the greatest Disney experience possible at any price, and Disney is likely to find it's no longer necessary to discount rooms to fill them.

As for the actual monorial expansion, the projected dates are so far out that even plans virtually cast in stone could be long forgotten (by future, different Disney management teams) before construction is scheduled to begin. Still, I would hope that there is a realization within Disney that something must be done transportation wise in WDW, and that the guest expectations for such would center arouind a monorail expansion. So, even if this rumor eventually became fact, what is to be done in the interim?

There’s getting the green light and then there’s getting the bulldozers actually show up for construction. There’s one attraction that, shall we say, has received so many green lights for take-off, all at different locations and in all kinds of forms, that it has almost become a standing joke. All the green lights in the world can’t stop a single gentleman with a big fat red pen. The parks long ago lost their ability to control their own fate and plans are subject to sudden and dramatic changes (and cancellations).

And even the plans themselves may serve other purposes. Right before DCA opened, everyone associated with the project “suddenly” began dropping “hints” about all the wonderful new attractions that were just around the corner (‘Rock n Roller Coaster’ and ‘Armageddon’). The “rumors” were really just an attempt to spin the growing realization that the park was in serious trouble before it opened, kind of pre-emptive damage control. Neither of the two “rumored” attractions came to pass for reasons that had nothing to do with the parks themselves, but they made for a good story at the time.

Right now you have a situation where a certain executive needs to be seen as being “proactive” and a “problem solver”, a company needs to be seen as “returning to normal” (look at all the buzz the no discount press release generated), and a lot of designers scrambling to keep their jobs. So, you have a lot of rumors being spread around for a lot of reasons. But you only have one guy with the checkbook - and he has other interests.

What gets rumored, what gets announced, and what gets built are going to be three very different lists.

"daannzzz (you've been here a while, time to explain the screen name) I'm not sure that Kali River Rapids has any animals in it. I don't recall, because nobody will go on it with me since they got drenched the first time."

You are right. Kali doesn't have any animals and has a very, very loose tie in with animals. That han'd even crossed my mind, maybe because it is a weak ripids ride with a beatiful queue and some decent theming but no great rapids. I think the imagineers may be able to put a slight animal slant on Soarin over Australia. It will most likely be a decent attraction where ever it is placed. I am one of those who thinks Soarin over California is great but only a D ticket.
As far as my screen name goes, it is a mundane explanation. my name is dan and it's MY computer. Name in possesive form translates to Daannzzz! :rolleyes:

"Wouldn't adding amenities to every level of WDW resorts be an almost ideal solution for the All-Star's and Pop Century's percieved shortcomings? Etc..... "

Adding amenities to all the resorts would be awesome ( though not something I think Disney will do). I don;t think I would want to see the AS or PC moved up a notch so that and even more value engineered ( less expensive) resort could be created. They are about on the bottom rung now unless they want to invest in some Super 8's in Kissimee. And having every resort on a monorail line doesn't work for me either. The monorail is exciting but I personally don't want monorail beams snaking all over the property. Yes it is fun and convenient but part of the magic at the resorts is the lack of regular infrastructure that is visible. I don;t want to see a monorail staion and beamway at the CBR or AKL.
It already detracts from the front of the Polynesian resort.
The WDW resorts are also getting to the top edge of what I will pay for a nights stay. They can't hardly add any amenity that would make it okay to up the prices anymore than they do already. I am willing to pay $89-$99 to stay at the AS not at the PC for some of the styling issues. I am willing to pay $300 at the Y7B Club and Grand Floridian because of their location and alternate modes of transportation. I don't think I would be willing to pay $130 for the All Stars or $200 for a moderate just for Monorail service.

Dannnzzz- You make a good point about the monorail not exactly fitting in at AKL, or even at AK for that matter. But I don't see a problem with a station attached to the property. It shouldn't go through the property, ala Epcot and the Contemporary, but it can work nearby. (along those same lines however, AK and AKL just SCREAM for boat service...as much as I'd like to see monorail expansion, I think I'd like to see overall boat expansion just as much)

I also understand the point about infrastructure, but large numbers of cars, busses and overall vehicle traffic detract more from the scenery than a monorail line ever could. Besides, if you're on the monorail, the track isn't very distracting, but all of the roads and traffic sure is...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter