Jon Gruden fired as coach of the Raiders

You guys keep talking about “saying inappropriate stuff” like it’s not a big deal.

All that “inappropriate stuff” is a big deal that affects people’s lives and livelihoods.
Yes, I understand that, I was just paraphrasing when I said "inappropriate stuff". It's what I consider locker room talk- how do I explain it without getting into trouble myself? The p word or little kitty, the f word to insult someone who is gay, etc. It doesn't make it right but it has been used for decades in sports settings, I've heard it used among guys at work teasing each other. Words are triggering or offensive to someone. I don't believe Jon Gruden should've lost his job over this, that is all.

Yes, I understand that, I was just paraphrasing when I said "inappropriate stuff". It's what I consider locker room talk- how do I explain it without getting into trouble myself? The p word or little kitty, the f word to insult someone who is gay, etc. It doesn't make it right but it has been used for decades in sports settings, I've heard it used among guys at work teasing each other. Words are triggering or offensive to someone. I don't believe Jon Gruden should've lost his job over this, that is all.

Yeah, well in this case, he used those insulting terms directed towards the commissioner of the league he works for, so it's not surprising that he was fired.

If you find out your boss says derogatory things about people of your race or sexual orientation behind your back, that wouldn't bother you or affect your job performance or relationship with your employer?

Sure. It got out, and that's going to make it extremely tough for Gruden
to move forward from this point on. I don't know if it's totally unsalvageable, but I'd be surprised if Jon Gruden ends up back in media any time soon. He's certainly never going to coach in the NFL again. The only thing I can think of is he might set up an off-season coaching camp, although it might be difficult for college or pro players to go given the new controversy over Gruden. High school players might not be as much as an issue, especially since it's the families paying.

I have seen a local case where a sports talk host went on a very public rant that women don't belong in sports journalism covering men's sports. It was really ugly and he was stripped of some of his duties at the station where he worked, like hosting football pregame shows. I think he even singled out Susan Slusser at the San Francisco Chronicle, who was the their Oakland A's beat writer. It got really weird when he was at another station and she was a regular biweekly guest on his show. I believe he eventually retracted his previous rant.

You guys keep talking about “saying inappropriate stuff” like it’s not a big deal.

All that “inappropriate stuff” is a big deal that affects people’s lives and livelihoods.

DeMaurice Smith is the Executive Dir of the players union (pretty lofty position) and made $4.5M last year. So how exactly did this affect his life? Would he have made $10M w/o Gruden's email(s)? More?

You don't think someone should lose their job for calling a gay person (or anyone else) the f word while they are at work? Just because insecure jerks have been doing this "for decades' in the sacred space of the locker room (that's sarcasm) doesn't make it any which way respectable or appropriate. It's the opposite - using the 'they've done it for decades' excuse perpetuates the issue and belittles the people who have been hurt and intimidated by the insults.

I Can’t believe it either. I thought it was cut and dry. Easiest one I’ve seen, but hey 🤷‍♀️ He did it, it’s horribly wrong, nobody should think it, never mind say it , never mind email it.
Agreed. If he hadn't resigned the NFL or Raiders would have to had to taken action.

Wow. Just wow. Because it’s been done for decades, it’s ok? We should never expect more from people? :sad2: He absolutely deserved to be fired.

I Can’t believe it either. I thought it was cut and dry. Easiest one I’ve seen, but hey 🤷‍♀️ He did it, it’s horribly wrong, nobody should think it, never mind say it , never mind email it.

It would really be difficult to alter someone's thinking. I don't think anyone is really all that pure, but when someone is comfortable enough saying it, or in this case putting it in a form that could documented, that's where it gets to the point where it's easily actionable. I really don't see how the Raiders would be able to keep him, and they had to tell him to resign or get fired if he didn't.

I'm like anyone else. I've thought things that I know might not be taken too well if I actually said it out loud, and I simply don't express it to anyone else. But that's something nearly everyone deals with. And when it's a very public position such as an NFL head coach that's really not where a team can just let it stand.

Last edited:
When will people learn not to put this stuff in any email but especially a work email. Those things live forever people. The same goes for any kind of messaging service tied to your work. My God people are dumb.

I was going to say I can't believe that some people are actually defending this ******* but I would be lying.

I will always defend a person's right to have their own opinion and their own thoughts whether I agree with it or not, whether it is offensive or inappropriate or not. Actions speak louder than words IMO so as long as a person doesn't act on their inappropriate thoughts or their disagreeable opinions I'm not into grabbing my pitchfork and torch and destroying their livelihood over something stupid they said a decade ago.
Obviously the angry offended about everything mob feels differently. I'd be lying if I said I was surprised by that.

I will always defend a person's right to have their own opinion and their own thoughts whether I agree with it or not, whether it is offensive or inappropriate or not. Actions speak louder than words IMO so as long as a person doesn't act on their inappropriate thoughts or their disagreeable opinions I'm not into grabbing my pitchfork and torch and destroying their livelihood over something stupid they said a decade ago.
Obviously the angry offended about everything mob feels differently. I'd be lying if I said I was surprised by that.

There is no defending a racist.

Wow. Just wow. Because it’s been done for decades, it’s ok? We should never expect more from people? :sad2: He absolutely deserved to be fired.
Wow, just wow right back. I never said it was okay just because it's gone on for decades. I'm sorry if my post came out that way, that was not my intent. This is exactly why I don't usually respond to these posts. I was calling out the hypocrisy when someone previously mentioned the super bowl halftime show with Dr. Dre, Eminem, and Snoop Dogg. Everybody up on their high horse. I'll go back to being a lurker because I dared to speak. :confused3

Wow, just wow right back. I never said it was okay just because it's gone on for decades. I'm sorry if my post came out that way, that was not my intent. This is exactly why I don't usually respond to these posts. I was calling out the hypocrisy when someone previously mentioned the super bowl halftime show with Dr. Dre, Eminem, and Snoop Dogg. Everybody up on their high horse. I'll go back to being a lurker because I dared to speak. :confused3
Nobody said you couldn’t share an opinion, but yes, it very much did come across that way. 🤷‍♀️

I see all kinds of comments (not necessarily here) about how Gruden shouldn't be fired for things he said 10 years ago.

I think Gruden should have been fired 10 years ago for those same things he said back then.
*standing slow clap*

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter