Joy to the World: an offsite Christmas extravaganza at Disney, Universal & SeaWorld – Dec. 2016 TR

:grouphug: and :drinking1:drinking1:drinking1
Teens...she sounds like she has had LOT to deal with.
Yep....it has been a lot. Just being a teen is hard enough right? At least I know she is doing ok. I know someone who's teen has been through something similar and is off the rails. It has been good for me to compare notes on this stuff.

Just another example of how kids don't come with instructions. Many times I've said that a TV comes with a manual 2 inches thick but the hospital sends you home with a human being with nothing but a 'good luck' and a hand shake.

Last edited:
Yep....it has been a lot. Just being a teen is hard enough right? At least I know she is doing ok. I know someone who's teen has been through something similar and is off the rails. It has been good for me to compare notes on this stuff.

Just another example of how kids don't come with instructions. Many times I've said that a TV comes with a manual 2 inches thick but the hospital sends you home with a human being with nothing but a 'good luck and a hand shake'.
No kidding! And lots of step by step baby books and what to expect type books- but not much as they get older. Unless there is a "Parenting teens" for Dummies out there lol!

Friday, December 23rd (continued) :santa:

After we returned our parkas to the coat drop-off area, we wormed our way through the crowds to check out the balance of the ICE! attractions, specifically the snow tubing exhibit and snow throwing station:

15726624_10155328595471416_771330742946702441_n.jpg

I am sure those specific activities held a high degree of appeal to many southern visitors.....snow, for them, would be a pretty novel experience (even that which is manufactured).....but for us Canucks, we were happy to take a pass. Pay $10 to throw 3 balls of frozen ice when we can do so at home, all winter long? No thanks. We'll pass.

We decided to take a stroll through the resort and visit the atrium before we headed out. Grateful to leave the ICE! crowds behind, we meandered our way into the hallway and followed the signs to our next Gaylord Palms destination.

15781811_10155328596046416_5773272982246820838_n.jpg

We stopped along the way to marvel at some of the beautiful Christmas decorations which were skillfully placed throughout the resort. One centerpiece was this massive rocking horse, just down from the entrance to the Alpine Village.

15781572_10155328592696416_8862323422861466612_n.jpg

We also took the time to admire some of the Florida-inspired statues which are permanent fixtures within the resort, like this one that featured five graceful dolphins and stretched all the way to the second level:

15698301_10155328590456416_8943845839471294441_n.jpg

The atrium, however, is what captures my heart on every visit....and is one of the huge reasons that I'd love to stay at this property at least once on a future trip. Many hotel rooms border this spectacular showpiece, and I can only imagine the view from above :worship:. With the glass roof letting in all that amazing Florida sunshine :sunny:, the atrium bursts with lush colour. It's something you really have to see to appreciate.

15697464_10155328587751416_6797335722499512949_n.jpg

15747459_10155328586896416_6215558691891012537_n.jpg

We took our time and meandered slowly through the entire area, taking in all the little details of the carefully crafted Christmas displays within the robust gardens. We were hoping to see some of the alligators that call the Gaylord Palms atrium 'home' through their partnership with the good folks at Gatorland, and we were not disappointed!

15747469_10155328596401416_8611381700274730790_n.jpg

They and their turtle friends were all out sunning themselves on a large rock, seemingly oblivious to the dozens of visitors who stopped to snap a photo of their reptile awesomeness with their cell phones and cameras :).

15781528_10155328595521416_5155335714041362431_n.jpg

While ICE! was crazy busy and definitely felt crowded, the atrium was, in contrast, very quiet and peaceful :cloud9:. A few folks were sitting quietly on benches, serenely taking in all that tropical beauty, but for the most part the atrium was very much deserted. An oasis in an otherwise busy resort at one of the highest-occupancy times of the year.

15747743_10155328587666416_1380593843158979960_n.jpg

15822634_10155328587571416_8075813405741344652_n.jpg

15781166_10155328587276416_4066353222264157647_n.jpg

The domed glass roof seems to go on forever, and dwarfs the 60 foot tall Christmas tree that graces a place of honour in the atrium every holiday season. This picture makes the tree look so insignificant, but honest....it was massive!!!

15747636_10155328587836416_4595966441781119555_n.jpg

Even here, it still somehow ends up looking small :confused:.

15698115_10155328586761416_5335822336248145828_n.jpg

Hmmmmm......maybe this one?

15672760_10155328586591416_5964305823463909002_n.jpg

At any rate, I bet it looked SPECTACULAR at night, when it was all lit up in a plethora of twinkling lights. I've seen photos of it after dark, and it's breathtaking.

Speaking of trees, there were several within the property that were crafted from live red and white poinsettias that were too pretty for words. Only a photo can do them justice, and even the pictures fall short. They were gorgeous!!!

15781195_10155328586601416_1523797504304122989_n.jpg

We explored every square inch of the atrium, sometimes looping back for a second look at some of our favourite spots.

15726237_10155328587176416_1075838960572967045_n.jpg

Christmas and Florida don't seem to be two things that would mesh very well, but here.....well, it just sort of 'works', doesn't it?

15822853_10155328586541416_40634838950372275_n.jpg

Once we had completed our atrium tour, it was time for us to head back to the Grande Vista to prepare ourselves for our nighttime plans: the Capone's Holiday Dinner & Show. Some of you may remember that we had visited Capone's for the first time on our autumn vacation two months prior and LOVED every second of the experience. When we learned that they were featuring a special show during the holiday season with a festive overlay, we decided we would just have to repeat the fun ::yes::.

Capone's Dinner & Show....and a Dismeet!! :banana: .....is next.

15741304_10155328723971416_3438113323941478844_n.jpg

Beautiful pictures of the ICE exhibit. I could not get my kids to want to see it. Oh well. They have not been told yet, we are doing the CP in Epcot on Christmas Day. I may need a tissue for it.

Follow on, enjoying this holiday trip report.

Jake wasn't too hyped up about it the year we took him, either. He went (and quite enjoyed it) but it wouldn't have been his first pick of things to do in Orlando. I think because teens go to Florida to be warm, not hang out with ice sculptures :cold: :rotfl:.

ICE looks fun but cold. I love the Peanuts so the breakfast would have been fun to see but I can understand why you all skipped it.

As someone that has worked many temp jobs, some suck straight from the start because of the people or because it's mundane work. Others are ok because of the people and others because the work keeps you busy enough, your mind working enough and your skills going enough that it's tolerable. Then there's the jobs that you actually enjoy, which your last one was. Unfortunately we can't be that lucky all of the time or people would stay in jobs longer than they do. If you don't have to work and this turns out in a few weeks/month that it's not right leave, but I would give it at least that since the past two weeks have been training and sometimes it takes a bit to get into the groove. And as hard as it is to do, don't compare it to the old job.

I'm in the tolerable phase, a temp that turned perm. I know what I want to do but I can't find it or because of my "random" experience with job titles that don't really fit what I did, I feel like no matter how I word and format things it won't matter. So I continue looking, brainstorming ways to find what I want to do, create it or kick the person out of the job I want [I kid, kind of :) ] and just deal with where I'm at because I need the money. Oh and lotto tickets, there's always a lotto ticket once in awhile. I don't think they realize the good I could do with all that money. Anyway I'm rambling, but don't feel like you are stuck there because they want you to stay, but take the good that they picked you and took two weeks training you so they think you can do it :)

All fantastic advice ::yes::. I am beginning to think you might be a life coach or a therapist!! ;)

ICE looks amazing!! I may need to splurge and go this year

I just googled it, and this year's theme is Christmas Around the World :goodvibes :

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-info/...ntion-center/gaylord-christmas/csyr9pd/ice.mi

View attachment 255946 I think it's time to party!!!!!

It's been a tough week....make mine a double!! :lmao:

Amazing! I didn't know about this exhibit. Thanks so much for sharing. It looks breathtaking!

It's really a sight to behold. And between the festive themes and the COLD temps, it feel so Christmassy! :santa:

So sad to hear that it is not going as smoothly as you want. However, I am with the manager. It IS tough starting out again in a new position, and a bank is nothing but a bunch of odd procedures and processes that are hard to assimilate, and customers often get a bit "odd" where their money is concerned. Your manager sees something in you, or she wouldn't be trying to hang on to you. And that training score from the previous week should be telling you something too. Hang in there, it gets better!

Thank you for the encouragement :goodvibes. You guys are all so good for the soul!

Let me tell you about big challenges.....I'm hiring and firing again at work. The assistant that I was all excited about hiring last September is not at all working out. She is just plan dumb and I have no tolerance for that at work. Here we are 10 months later and she still is asking how to do things, things that we do nearly every day. Add in the stress of packing up GC to go away for university. She is being evil and I'm in tears. Way to many changes in my life all happening at the exact same time.

Yikes, that's not fun :sad1:. I can't imagine having to fire anyone......that has to be the toughest thing to ever do as an employer (even when its deserved). Hugs to you, my friend :hug:....it definitely puts my work struggles into perspective.

I'm pretty sure that's what you keep me around for.

Wine and chocolate????? Cool. I have been tossing around the idea of a shopping weekend later in August. Might have to come your way and collect. Barefoot Pinot Grigio please. I believe in the US it's only $5.99....I'm a cheap date.

As for the chocolate......you come back on duty on Friday. You're gonna have ta wait!
You might be coming my way in August?!?? Like, THIS COMING MONTH?!? For real? Heck yeah, you tell me the date and I'll have the wine ready! :cool1:

Oh my goodness! ICE looks incredible!

It is amazing!! And it has such a neat backstory!

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-info/...aylord-christmas/csyr9pd/the-making-of-ice.mi

This is the first time I have seen photos from ICE! It looks SO COOL (pun intended)!

It *IS* very cool, figuratively and literally :rotfl2:. I am actually surprised that so few folks here on the Dis have visited it on their holiday trips :confused3. I guess maybe there's just so much going on at Disney during the Christmas season that its tough to squeeze in one more activity.

The exhibit looks great. I wonder how long it takes to make everything? I did ponder going last year but decided that we went to Florida to get out of the cold so it didn't make the list.

I hear you on the job front. As others have said you will have to try and hang in a bit longer to give it a fair trial, I hope this week has been a bit better :goodvibes

I am pretty sure it takes a couple months to fully complete. I can't imagine how tough it must be for those artists from China, to be away from their families that long each year.

Today's holiday's include "National Coffee Milkshake Day", "National Bagelfest Day" and my personal favorite "National Aunt and Uncle's Day". There is almost nothing better than being an auntie.

You are so blessed!! I have a plethora of nieces and nephews, but rarely do we get the chance to spend much time with any of them (and a few wouldn't want to hang out with Aunt Gina and Uncle Steve, even if given the opportunity).

National Coffee Milkshake Day? :confused: Does each flavour get its own day?

Hang in there Gina, and hang in there Dancin' . I do thing teen girls are much harder for moms than teen boys.

Love the goats in pants.

Hope all is well Gina. Carry on.

This thread is a great reminder of Christmas time. One of my favorite times of year.

And its now less than 5 months away! :cheer2:

Wish we had been able to go see the Peanuts display last year at Christmas. I know they change their themes year over year but I hope they bring that one back soon. That is my hubby's favourite cartoon. He still has the Christmas card I gave him years ago that when opened plays the little Peanuts jingle :cloud9:

I haven't known them to repeat a theme.....yet. But I agree, if ever one was to get a second showing, I sure hope its peanuts. It's a classic!! ::yes::

On another note, I agree with everyone who has commented that your manager is recognizing a lady with good work ethic who can get the job done. But its not always JUST about the content of the job. Its about the commute, the people you are working with, how comfortable you are with those folks, etc. I'm all about instincts. Give it enough time to either confirm or deny your instincts, but still go with your instincts! :thumbsup2

And this is what it boiled down to. After much soul searching, and after several 'events' at work occurred this week (none, thankfully, that involved me personally......but all of which affected us as employees, in one way or another) I gave my notice on Friday. As a professional courtesy, I offered them three weeks instead of two as I know my departure is going to cause them to be even more short handed, and I feel unbelievably badly about that. Hopefully I can last that long. Something had to give, and it was either my sanity or the job. I have been feeling light on my feet ever since that letter was delivered. 3 more weeks and I'm FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

@dancin Disney style ..... you're gonna have a vacant position at your workplace. Wanna hire me? :flower3: Can I work remotely? :p

All fantastic advice ::yes::. I am beginning to think you might be a life coach or a therapist!! ;)

I'm not, never even took a psychology class. I have a business degree/hotel management and a public relations degree. But I've had many temp jobs and have volunteer with my sorority on different levels including with a collegiate chapter and now as an administrator for alumnae chapters so I've learned to listen and relate.

And this is what it boiled down to. After much soul searching, and after several 'events' at work occurred this week (none, thankfully, that involved me personally......but all of which affected us as employees, in one way or another) I gave my notice on Friday. As a professional courtesy, I offered them three weeks instead of two as I know my departure is going to cause them to be even more short handed, and I feel unbelievably badly about that. Hopefully I can last that long. Something had to give, and it was either my sanity or the job. I have been feeling light on my feet ever since that letter was delivered. 3 more weeks and I'm FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

This tells me it's exactly what you need to do. I know that feeling. Also the feeling of dread at having to go into work for the day.

Ya know, something you said about your very first day had me thinking you didn't feel at home there. I'm really sorry it didn't work out, but now you have the time to search for the right fit, and you'll know it when you find it. It is very professional for you to give them as much time as you could to help them transition, but they will get it sorted. In the meantime, your instincts said it all when you recognized you were FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :thumbsup2

Good luck with your search. The right thing will come along eventually. Don't rush it. Like I said a minute ago, you'll know it when you see it! :goodvibes

Enjoyed your pictures from the Gaylord Palms and ICE. The atrium is just beautiful and peaceful. We were able to visit the atrium a couple of years ago, when we had friends staying there.

So it's back to homemade dinners and baking for you and Steve, not a bad thing at all. Glad you've got your mind round it and it's good that you could walk away from the job and not have to stay and feel bad. You'll find something eventually, that's if you are going to keep on looking? Now back to the good stuff :goodvibes

Sorry the new job wasn't a go for you. You just need to work for the Orlando Tourist board! Hope you enjoy your free time and the right opportunity comes a long.

Sorry the new job wasn't a go for you. You just need to work for the Orlando Tourist board! Hope you enjoy your free time and the right opportunity comes a long.
Hmmm, wonder if THEY will let you work remotely (with the odd research trip as required)...

You already have a great portfolio of work to show them!

I was thinking Orlando travel agent...she had personally done so much stuff there, and so many seemed focused exclusively on Disney.
I know! SeaWorld travel agent! She should submit her trip reports as her portfolio...
Hmmm, wonder if THEY will let you work remotely (with the odd research trip as required)...

You already have a great portfolio of work to show them!

Can't wait to hear about Holiday Capone's! I've done the regular show several times, but have not done the holiday version yet

Can't wait to hear about Holiday Capone's! I've done the regular show several times, but have not done the holiday version yet

Yes, I second the motion. Your description of Capone's really caught our eye, and really curious how the Holiday show compares to the regular one. Know you are trying to fulfill your commitment to your job, though, and shifts sound like they are sporadic, so we know you will get your next post up when you can!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter