Joy to the World: an offsite Christmas extravaganza at Disney, Universal & SeaWorld – Dec. 2016 TR

Ooo, that is a nice Mother's Day gift!!

The best one EVER ::yes::. It is SO nice having my own transportation again!!

I'm sure you will find a job quickly. On the volunteering front might I suggest a long term care facility. You will meet some awesome people and find it incredibly rewarding. Sometimes things as simple as a smile or a hello can make someone's entire day.

Ok twist my arm!!!!! I'm bursting with pride over this kid. She was sooooo down on herself because the weekend was not going the way she wanted. Mind you she was doing well but sometimes she has these ideas. She was selected to join a national team which was great (I thought) and she tied for first in 2 other categories(again I though great). She was just so so on it. Anyway, long story short-ish, one of her groups made the final 5 and then competed again for all the marbles. I watched the other 4 and thought they were VERY good and that I was going to have a very unpleasant ride home. GC's group came out last and KILLED it!!!!!! It was such a powerful, mesmerizing performance it left me with chest pains. I'm pretty sure I forgot to breath. In 20+ years I have never seen such intensity and perfection. She was a crying mess afterwards.

SW releases the next block of dates on May 18th. You have to keep an eye on it though because it's subject to change. I've been doing a little reading on the subject of book when released or not. It seems that in the last 1-2 years the general feel is that prices are not the best on opening day any more. So I will look but not book unless it's under $300/person.
Congrats to that super talented girl of yours......wow!! What an accomplishment! Does she get her dancing abilities from her momma? :dancer:

Funny you mentioned about volunteering in a long term care facility, because that's exactly what I have been researching. There's a large medical care complex just down the road from us that is looking for volunteers to visit with their elderly patients for 3-4 hours a week on a six month commitment. I think that would be a good fit for me (and safer than, say, the SPCA.....where I'd want to bring home every cat who needed a home). As soon as I know my new schedule a little better, I think I will reach out to the volunteer coordinator at the hospital and see when I could get started.

Luckily, all is not lost on the job front for me, just a big setback. I work in medical transcription and records, and one of my major clients is unexpectedly out for the rest of the summer due to illness. He'll be back in August, but until then, my salary is pretty much slashed in half. Trying to discern what would be best to do to ride it out until then. I could go cold-calling to try to find another practice who needs help, or I may just try to do odd jobs like childcare. I'll definitely have time to spend with my kids this summer, though the budget will be lean! Thankfully, I had already paid off almost all the expenses for our June Florida trip, so I won't have to cancel :)

Well, those are some good positives for sure!! And while the budget might not be too substantial, having the time off with your kiddos while they are taking a break from school will be a mighty nice opportunity. Gotta look on the bright side, right?

I have the hardest time with this. I'll read a job description and think I can do that, it would be awesome! Then I start reading the qualifications and I'll have a and b but they really want x, y and z more than just the a and b. Or they want more experience in something than I technically have. Part of it is just my job history, job titles that don't really fit what I did but there not really being a title that would explain it. So you put it in the info about what you did at the job but it only matters if they get past the job description. Then go to my current job where I don't have a job description or a job title, so while I can make something up or guess at what it will eventually be once they decide it's still going to be something that doesn't explain anything or it will give you the wrong impression of what I do. My biggest issue with applying is wasting someone else's time, but then is anything other than the computer and it's logarithms even reading a resume.

I hear ya. My credentials from the Canadian college I attended don't line up with what the same education/training is called here in the USA, so I'm sure that didn't help when prospective employers were reading my resume. I seemed to be under-qualified for some jobs, and over-qualified for the rest. Job seekers just can't win!

Oh, if only I were closer!! I'd take you up on that offer in a heartbeat! I don't suppose you want to relocate your business to Michigan, do you? ;)

If I relocate it will be to somewhere warmer not the same. :-) Somewhere people here talk about? City starts with an O I think?

Actually we are automotive like Steve, but a franchise, but if your new ride is an indication of who he works for, a competing brand. I love love the color btw. Ruby is a perfect name.

Nope, Steve does not work for Ford. He actually works for an international auto parts manufacturer that supplies each of the Big 3, so he's got no specific affiliation with any automaker directly. I'm a small-car girl (easier to park! :teeth: ) so the Fiesta was very appealing. My former car, which I loved but couldn't import to the USA, was a Chevrolet Sonic ... I adored that little car, and wanted something similar. I wasn't too picky on the brand of vehicle, just something compact with low mileage and a few features that were must-haves (like auto start). The only thing I was completely averse to was a hatchback....they are just NOT my style at all.

Lucky you Gina, what a Mother's Day present :thumbsup2 (does Steve want another wife, my little Kia could do with a facelift :rotfl:)

I've often asked him if the whole "sister wife" lifestyle appealed to him, and he assures me (quite vehemently :rolleyes::rolleyes:) that I'm all the woman he can handle :p. I'm not sure if I should be flattered or insulted? :rolleyes1

Hey, ya'll! Gina, I totally don't want to hijack the thread or anything, but I just have to do a little Disney celebrating! My 30-day Fastpass window opened this morning for our June Animal Kingdom day, and I got the Nav'i River Journey at 8:55 a.m.! Woo Hoo! I am so incredibly stoked! I knew ya'll would understand why I'm jumping with joy :)

That deserves a dance!! :cheer2::banana::cool1: Yay, you! I can't wait to hear what you think of the new section of the park!

Did you all hear about the long list of rides at MK that won't be open for the Halloween parties?!?!? I am shocked.....7 Dwarfs Mine Train, Big Thunder, Splash Mountain, and Jungle Cruise will all be closed during party hours (JC I was not shocked about, as that's a treat trail....but the others? Wow :sad2: ). I had been toying with finding room in the October budget for a splurge for tickets, but I have no desire to do so now. I am so glad we went ahead and pursued a Volcano Bay day with a cabana instead......the value of the parties is just getting less and less.

Great! That tells me that there is hope for all of us who stay offsite!

:thumbsup2

I wanted to drop by an apologize to you all.....I am a terrible trip reporter :guilty:. Much as it must seem otherwise, I haven't forgotten about this thread. It's been a crazy week, and I just can't seem to get my feet back under me and get back to posting.

After devoting some substantial time to getting my resume out to companies with listings on Indeed, I was called for multiple interviews for various positions. The first couple were, quite honestly, rather discouraging. Long, inflexible hours for MUCH less pay than I made for similar work back in Ontario. While I expected to take a big step back where remuneration was concerned, it was a bit shocking to see just how far back that step would be.

To make a long story short, I ended up applying for a job yesterday and was called immediately for an interview and was hired on the spot. I start orientation later this afternoon. While its not glamorous by any stretch.....its in a retail store (a chain that I love!)......it checked all my boxes: part time versus full time (15-25 hours per week), flexible hours, and very close to home (important for a girl who is still learning her way around these parts). And you know, I am looking forward to working in a role with minimal responsibility: after managing a financial planning office for almost 2 decades, having a part time position that I can leave at the door after my shift is very appealing indeed. I was looking for somewhere to make some connections while also making a little bit of extra spending money, and hopefully this is the job to help me achieve those goals. Surprisingly, too, the hourly rate is not much lower than the Human Resources position that I was interviewed for on Monday. Simply bizarre.

So, please bear with me while I fulfill the orientation and get my life rearranged into a new normal. Surely that is not far off.

Last edited:
Volunteering, I can just see steve returning home one night to find a few grey haired grannies joining you both for tea. Semi adopted by you and your generous heart!! :goodvibes

We posted at the same time, so well done and good luck with your new job x

Yay! Congratulations on your new role! I hope that orientation goes well.

Congratulations on the job! Part-time seems like a great and perfect fit for you in this season!

Yay congrats on your new job! I have been on the internship hunt the past few weeks. Got one that should start next week but it's not my ideal company/commute. It's so funny though - I never thought I'd be interning again but I guess that happens when you make a huge career field jump. I laugh because I used to run an internship program and manage them... now I'm becoming one again. :scratchin

Congrats to that super talented girl of yours......wow!! What an accomplishment! Does she get her dancing abilities from her momma? :dancer:

Funny you mentioned about volunteering in a long term care facility, because that's exactly what I have been researching. There's a large medical care complex just down the road from us that is looking for volunteers to visit with their elderly patients for 3-4 hours a week on a six month commitment. I think that would be a good fit for me (and safer than, say, the SPCA.....where I'd want to bring home every cat who needed a home). As soon as I know my new schedule a little better, I think I will reach out to the volunteer coordinator at the hospital and see when I could get started.
Of course she gets it from me. All her best qualities come from me. :rotfl2:

I suggested long term care because I KNOW you would be perfect for it. There are plenty of people willing to help out with animals at a shelter but for some reason there is a serious lack of people willing to help other people. Seniors are just people with more experience. You will learn so much, they have some pretty awesome stories when you take the time to listen.

Just looked at SW flights for Christmas and I think I fainted for a minute. $1946 USD for the three of us. That's not happening.

You've had a big week my friend - new vehicle (HI ROSIE), new job (DISCOUNT) - that's a lot to process in a short amount of time. Or maybe that's just me, cause I hate change. I also think you'd do great volunteering at a long term care facility. When mom was in rehab after her accident, there were so many residents who never had visitors who just wanted someone to spend some time with them. It is sad to see how the elderly population is treated. I say go for it!

Volunteering, I can just see steve returning home one night to find a few grey haired grannies joining you both for tea. Semi adopted by you and your generous heart!! :goodvibes
x

Hahahaha. I pictured the same thing!!!

Gina, Since Steve makes parts for the big 3, now the next time a part breaks on my car I know where to call. :-):tongue:

Congrats on the job!!!!!! I wouldn't have wanted you to take any position that would limit your Orlando time.

As for MNSSHP, I have never attended any of the parties. My DH and DD are not late night people, but the drop in so many attractions kind of stinks. BTW I believe Splash is listed because it is going down for a big refurb. I wonder if it would be on the list if it wasn't?

Yay for you! Congratulations on landing the job; that didn't take long at all! And a very snazzy looking Mother's Day gift as well.

I gave my mom a shiny red vehicle on Sunday too. She decided she wanted a scooter to help her get around town and I found a killer deal on a used 4 wheeler. Hard to see the parents slowing down, but at 89 she is still living very independently in her small town, so we do what we can to help keep her going.

I agree with @Mrs Doubtfire, you may well end up adopting a bunch of seniors with you big ol' heart!

We posted at the same time, so well done and good luck with your new job x

Thank you, Samantha!!

Steve and I were chatting about the volunteer position a few days ago, and based on his comments (which were nothing but supportive) I think he has already anticipated the very scenario you posted :blush:. Am I that transparent? LOL

Congratulations on your new job. Well done and hope you enjoy it!

Thank you! :goodvibes

Yay! Congratulations on your new role! I hope that orientation goes well.

Thank you! Last night was good (a lot to take in over a single five hour period, but nice to get the brain working again) and I'm back for the balance of my orientation tonight, tomorrow night, and Sunday. I am a little nervous....I haven't worked retail in more than 20 years....but trying to remain excited about the change.

I'm thrilled for you! Sounds like this job will be the perfect fit :)

Thank you! I just hope I don't disappoint anyone.....myself included. I have a bit of a fear of failure :o.

Congratulations on the job! Part-time seems like a great and perfect fit for you in this season!

Thank you :goodvibes . I think Steve is finding the change a little harder than me so far......for the first time since we relocated, he came home to an empty house after work yesterday. While I had dinner pre-made and ready for him in the fridge, he was pretty lonely dining all on his own. We laid in bed last night, chatting about how the orientation went, and he did his best to convince me that it would be nicer for me to just remain a kept woman ..... spending my time volunteering or other things I enjoy versus any time at work. While the sentiment was sweet, and I appreciate him wanting my life to be full and all "fun", I'm still going to give this new employment opportunity a fair shake. It's nice not to have the pressure, though, of it absolutely having to work out.

Congrats on your new job. Since it is a chain that you love hopefully you'll get some nice discounts on your purchases.

The discounts are GREAT! We're already loving the lower prices in the USA, and now an additional 20% off just makes the deals even sweeter. I may end up spending my first few paychecks at the store, though :rotfl:. It's going to be tough not to splurge a little!

Yay congrats on your new job! I have been on the internship hunt the past few weeks. Got one that should start next week but it's not my ideal company/commute. It's so funny though - I never thought I'd be interning again but I guess that happens when you make a huge career field jump. I laugh because I used to run an internship program and manage them... now I'm becoming one again. :scratchin

Everything old is new again! Congrats on the new opportunity: sometimes the things we question most in the beginning are the ones that work out the best in the end. I hope the change is a huge blessing for you!

Of course she gets it from me. All her best qualities come from me. :rotfl2:

I suggested long term care because I KNOW you would be perfect for it. There are plenty of people willing to help out with animals at a shelter but for some reason there is a serious lack of people willing to help other people. Seniors are just people with more experience. You will learn so much, they have some pretty awesome stories when you take the time to listen.

Just looked at SW flights for Christmas and I think I fainted for a minute. $1946 USD for the three of us. That's not happening.

Yikes!!! That's a crazy flight price :crazy2:. Have you checked Jetblue from Buffalo? Or Allegiant from NF? Surely you could almost do as well with Air Canada or Sunwing out of Toronto, without the crazy exchange rate on top.

I have a real heart for the elderly: they are always so appreciative of other people's time. I think it would be wonderful, too, that most of them would likely be from the immediate area.....not only would they be able to share their own personal stories with me, but maybe help me learn a little about this new place I'm calling home. I think they would probably be as much of a blessing to ME as I would be to them. This opportunity seems to be calling my name louder and louder.

You've had a big week my friend - new vehicle (HI ROSIE), new job (DISCOUNT) - that's a lot to process in a short amount of time. Or maybe that's just me, cause I hate change. I also think you'd do great volunteering at a long term care facility. When mom was in rehab after her accident, there were so many residents who never had visitors who just wanted someone to spend some time with them. It is sad to see how the elderly population is treated. I say go for it!

Yes ma'am, I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all. I'm not an exciting gal by nature (in fact, most folks would say I'm rather dull) so this has been a lot to process. My mind has been whirling enough that I haven't been sleeping so well (that, and Miss Vi and Mr. Dash have been all snuggly and lovey throughout the night......I have been woken more than once in recent nights by Dash licking my knees or Violet tugging pieces of my hair with her teeth) which isn't helping. Sometimes being an over-thinker is a real curse.

Rosie has been back in the shop for the last two days. Her auto start isn't working, and while we don't exactly need that feature in the spring and summer, it needed to be addressed now while its the dealer's problem. So for now, I am driving a courtesy car who isn't nearly as pretty. They assure me that Rosie will be ready for me to pick up in the morning, and I'll be mighty glad to have her home.

Hahahaha. I pictured the same thing!!!

Gina, Since Steve makes parts for the big 3, now the next time a part breaks on my car I know where to call. :-):tongue:

Congrats on the job!!!!!! I wouldn't have wanted you to take any position that would limit your Orlando time.

As for MNSSHP, I have never attended any of the parties. My DH and DD are not late night people, but the drop in so many attractions kind of stinks. BTW I believe Splash is listed because it is going down for a big refurb. I wonder if it would be on the list if it wasn't?

LOL, his particular manufacturing facility only makes headlights and tail lights specifically, so if you are in need of a part, make sure its lighting related!

I am truly hoping that the sources are wrong about the attraction closures during the party (some outlets seem to suggest that the current posted info might be erroneous....not sure how they know?). Big Thunder was under refurb during last year's MNSSHP, and that one ride being closed made a difference in the crowd levels at the other attractions and party events. Increasing that by Splash and 7 Dwarfs is going to have a massive (and negative) effect. It's a lot of money for a ticket when some of the best rides in the park are excluded.

Yay for you! Congratulations on landing the job; that didn't take long at all! And a very snazzy looking Mother's Day gift as well.

I gave my mom a shiny red vehicle on Sunday too. She decided she wanted a scooter to help her get around town and I found a killer deal on a used 4 wheeler. Hard to see the parents slowing down, but at 89 she is still living very independently in her small town, so we do what we can to help keep her going.

I agree with @Mrs Doubtfire, you may well end up adopting a bunch of seniors with you big ol' heart!

Thank you! :goodvibes

Your mom sounds like quite a free spirit.....you are so fortunate that she's in such good mental and physical health at such an advanced age. I can just picture her scooting about on her new wheels, wind in her hair and a smile on her face!! :car: She is still faring okay despite the ongoing issues with flooding?

A mini installment to help get me back on track......hopefully its better than nothin'.

Sunday, December 18th (continued) :santa:

I was a bit apprehensive about riding Kong…..ya’ll are well aware I’m a chicken when it comes to rides :rolleyes1, and the whole premise of a ride based on the mighty King Kong just screamed out “intensity” to me….but both Kerry and Robert assured me I’d be okay on it. They had rode it for the first time a few days earlier and none of them had any motion issues as a result; in fact, they all had loved it. Their personal assurance went a long way to help me relax, especially knowing that Kerry’s ride tolerance is just as low as mine (and maybe even a teeny bit lower….she’s a no-go for Big Thunder Mountain and Twirl ‘n Hurl, where I love both). So, once David had his fill of fun in Seuss Landing, we trundled back through Port of Entry and Marvel Superhero Island en route to Skull Island: Reign of Kong.

We ended up getting a bit waylaid in Toon Lagoon, taking in all the colourful buildings and comics-come-to-life in that fabulously themed area of the park. None of us were interested in the rides in this section…..both Dudley Do-Right’s Ripsaw Falls and Popeye and Bluto’s Bilge Rat Barges are designed to not only get riders wet, but more thoroughly soaked….and despite the unseasonably warm temperatures (Steve and I found it downright HOT; Kerry and company were more comfy, being native Floridians and well accustomed to that heat) we just didn’t feel like spending the rest of our time at the parks in soggy clothes and shoes.

15965398_10155358086436416_6250783302550078_n.jpg

15873618_10155358087161416_3786371367300843734_n.jpg

We did, however, start to feel rather peckish with the morning’s breakfast effectively starting to wear off. At Robert’s suggestion, we decided to take a nutrition break at Blondies to refresh and refuel.

15895129_10155358086466416_6049501213821179088_n.jpg

As we perused the menu and considered our options, Robert insisted that Steve simply HAD to try the signature sandwich available in the parks only at Blondies: the famous Dagwood. Rarely having met a sandwich or sub that he didn’t like, Steve was sold :rotfl:. A Dagwood (or in this case, I think half a Dagwood) it would be.

15940564_10155358086051416_6704103010139840412_n.jpg

It was a sandwich worthy of two hands: meaty, filling, and very much a hit with Steve. Robert had the same, but I’m pretty sure Kerry, David and I all opted for hot dogs instead (I know that’s what I had….and if my memory serves me correctly, I also opted for chili on mine....but of course, I somehow didn't manage a photo of said hot dogs at all :confused:). Both of our families has the refillable cups (a god-send on such a warm, humid day) so we had them refilled with our lunch orders. For dessert, we ordered a Brookie to share:

15941446_10155358087121416_8855920260964010390_n.jpg

Brookies are a signature dessert available throughout the Universal parks, and features a chocolate chip cookie baked into a fudge brownie. They are normally a favourite treat of mine (and ridiculously inexpensive) but we found this one to be a bit dry where the cookie is concerned. Robert had never had one before, so we were hoping to win him over with this first taste of deliciousness, but I think the dry-ish cookie portion failed to make him a fan :(. The brownie part was great (soft, fudgy, and moist) so at least it was half redeeming.

15894548_10155358086076416_3157554420627621372_n.jpg

Once our bellies were full and our bodies sufficiently rehydrated, we finally made our way to the Skull Island queue.

15940640_10155358086481416_5655219748330745065_n.jpg

My nervousness about riding was long since dissipated, thanks to Kerry’s reassurance, and I was nothing but excited by this point :hyper:. Knowing I was unlikely to end up with a bad case of motion sickness from the experience, it made the whole first encounter much more fun!

We thought the ride was GREAT……not something I would class as a “big thrill” but exceptionally well done nonetheless. The special effects were superb, it felt very realistic (as if we were truly in a safari vehicle, driving through the jungle) and there was enough movement and enhancements to be deemed super cool while (thankfully) not being sickness-inducing. The ride also had a very high capacity per vehicle, meaning that lines should hopefully remain reasonable despite the popularity of the new attraction.

15894503_10155358087106416_2753819874418243049_n.jpg

By the time we wrapped things up at Kong, we were all feeling rather grungy and sweaty….not to mention tired. An early start and busy day combined with the surprising warmth and high humidity had us all feeling in need of a refresh and cool-down. We wanted to return to the park later to take in the Mannheim Steamroller concert at the Studios, so we decided to break for an hour or so at our respective resorts so we could change clothes, rehydrate, and ready ourselves for a full evening of fun. So, at that point in the day, we bid each other temporarily adieu and set plans to meet up in a few hours.

The balance of our Sunday is next!

For a "short" update that was lovely and long :)

We've never tried a brookie (in fact I hadn't ever noticed that they existed) so I think I may need to fix that next month.

I'm glad you enjoyed Kong - it's certainly something that seems like it's going to be much more intense and scary than it is. I can imagine that some children might be a bit intimidated though!

I'm glad you liked Kong. The first time we rode Duncan refused to ride and the big Kong at the end was frozen. When we went back in Feb. we told Duncan he had to ride and he LOVED it!

Congrats on the new job and the new ride!! Exciting stuff. The brookie sounds divine, will have to try that on our next trip. A combination of two of my favorites. That is what I love about reading trip reports, finding things like this that I might never have discovered on my own. Just catching up on your report. We returned a few days ago from a four day trip to the beach in the Florida panhandle with family and friends. Good time and memories made! :beach:

I'm glad you're getting more adventurous with the rides (I'm sure Steve is glad too!) So true about the Bilge Rat Barges - I have never been on a ride that soaked me like that one did! Now my husband is really wary of all water rides: "Hey, this isn't like that ride at Universal where you get SOAKED, is it?" :rotfl2: And congratulations on your new job!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter