July 17, 2004 Magic (Western)

Good morning all! :wave2: One week from today will be my first day off work for vacation ... we're not traveling until Friday but I have several appointments and 'last minute' things scheduled for Thursday. Woo-hoo!

This might be a tip for those of you with children the same ages as mine ... but it's mostly a request. We will be traveling with DD8 and DS10 (and friends' DD7 and DD11). This is our first cruise where I've agreed that the children can have the privilege to sign themselves out of the lab (except the DD7 is too young), and to spend a little bit of time on the ship without us adults. BUT ... we have some rules - and that's where you come in!

We've outlined their rules (my daughter even wrote them down ::yes:: ) - including no use of the elevators, no running or roughhousing, no entry into anyone else's stateroom, respecting everyone around them, telling us exactly where they will be at all times, paging us when they leave the lab, etc. I read a tip on these boards, and told them "pretend that I'm walking a few steps behind you at all times".

I also told them that I've met a great group of people on these boards ... and that if any of you see them breaking a rule, you will tell me. ;) Depending on the nature of the offense, they will lose a privilege or ALL privileges for the remainder of the cruise. (Please don't be too nervous ... these are generally very well behaved children ... but we need to make sure they understand that this is EVERYONE's vacation and they cannot interfere with others' enjoyment.)

SO ... maybe this is a tip if your children are around the same ages. Otherwise, consider it an opportunity to rat them out!!

I have a busy day at work, but will be checking the boards frequently. Just TOO excited to concentrate. :bounce:

Good morning everyone!
I have been slammed all week at work, and checking this board has been a tremendous help on keeping me going! DH and I have been working too much, and we look forward to RELAXING on our cruise! I am making lists, but have not begun packing yet. DS is going on a trip with camp that will keep him away from Sunday a.m. til Friday night, so I guess there'll be some last minute laundry at our house. Once he's gone, we'll use his room to lay out all our clothes. Pretty sneaky, huh? Fortunately, we are only about 2.5 hours from the port, so we don't have to rush too much on Saturday a.m. I will have time for an 8 a.m. manicure. :) I haven't begun to do my last minute stuff (pharmacy, etc.) which I'm saving for next week, but I will be looking for new outfits at lunch today!:teeth: Keep those tips coming!

Hi, Jeanne!
We did that drive at Easter from Wilmington DE and it really isn't bad. We stopped in Savannah for the night -- of course it took us about 20 tries before we could find a non smoking room with 2 beds -- that is what we get for stopping Easter weekend with no reservation. You might want to try priceline or hotels.com. Bet you could find one really inexpensive since you are travelling mid-week. Savannah was a long way for us to go before stopping, since Howard did all the driving, but he was insistent on getting more than half way there before stopping.

Jenn is loving emailing with several of the other teens before the trip -- she hasn't had a lot of time because she doesn't get home from work until almost 5, but she is always eager to hear that "you've got mail" message :D

Mary -- I love your idea of making rules and writing them down! I will be glad to watch out for your kids if you will watch out for mine. I am going to have a serious talk with Jenn about "no dark corners" or unoccupied areas of the ship -- have read so much recently about teens pairing off.

I have to work on our door signs -- also have my tinkerbell magnetic memo pad in case anyone wants to leave us a note! On our last cruise, our cabin steward wrote us "love notes" each day, like "have a great day" or "enjoy key west" or "happy birthday" to Howard. It was really nice of him. He also made sure we always had ice in our ice bucket for the bottles of wine we brought! We were able to leave them half-full and open because the kids weren't with us ;)

Mary -- when we sailed in 2001 with Jenn and Andrew, Jenn had free run of the ship. We gave her a 2 way radio -- whenever she moved from one location to another (ie from the cabin to the pool or teen club to pool), she had to radio us and let us know where she would be. I read a great tip on the boards about having a "destination log" in the cabin -- when you leave the cabin, you make a note of where you are heading and where you might be after that. This way, everyone has some idea of where to look for each other. I am particularly worried about Andrew and am hoping he will make some friends that he can hang out with. Interestingly, I think kids are better behaved and focused if they are with a friend.

Carole -- I don't remember -- is your son 11? And your daughter is 16? I was thinking that your kids are the same age as mine. They are all going to have such a great time.

Here is another tip -- Jenn LOVED going to late night movies on the ship with her friends. Keep in mind that there is often an 11:00 or 11:15 pm showing and this is a great activity for older kids in the evenings. (We are bringing individual packs of skittles, goldfish, combos, etc for the kids to take to the theatre with them -- they sell candy outside the theatre but that can really add up). Anyway, our kids LOVE going to movies at home and there is always something showing on the ship that they haven't yet seen.

Geez, my posts always get so long! Sorry, guys! Just sooo excited!

Hey Cam--
Yes, my kids are exactly the same ages as yours, and the same genders too! I was quite happy, especially for my DS, who doesn't make friends as easily as the DD. I think we have some others in this group the same ages or very nearly.

Last year we gave DS some freedom, and it came back to bite. One night he checked himself out of the Lab and went back to the room to watch tv, which is great and they beeped us to let us know (at the dueling piano bar, which we will SORELY miss!). Then he decided he wanted a smootie, so went to the Promenade Bar to order one. Only problem was that once he was out of the cabin (in his pjs!) and the door closed behind him, he realized he didn't have his KTTW card! Incredibly, he was able to locate DD, who was willing to acknowledge knowing him, and she got him a smoothie and put him back in the cabin. I think he learned his lesson, but it's a constant battle! Another year having gone by, who knows?

Carole -- I could just see Andy doing that! :confused:
Hopefully, they will hit it off and will keep each other company. It is great that DD was willing to acknowledge knowing him. Sometimes big sisters surprise us. ;) My two seem to become closer friends as they are getting older.

On our two past Magic cruises the kids would have ALWAYS known where to find us in the evenings -- Offbeat for dueling pianos. I have no idea where we will be hanging out this trip. I am really going to miss that type of club option.:(

Hi everyone!! I can't believe my calendar says that we leave in 8 days. Time is going too fast, I hope it slows down once we're on board! I'm happy to say that I have almost everything packed except for some clothes (but I know exactly what I'm taking). I really like the idea of having lots of "eyes" on our kids. Jake goes to a small Catholic Jr High/High School. I know almost all of the families of the kids in his class. We parents have an understanding that if we see someone's child doing something that they shouldn't (no matter if it's at school or at the Mall) that it doesn't go unnoticed. Jake is a really good kid, but it's nice to know that he has lots of "moms" looking out for him. I've already talked to Jake and Matt about some of the things that I've read on the DIS boards about teens on the past cruises. I told them to just make sure that they didn't do or say anything that they wouldn't do or say in front of Brian and me.

When is everyone planning on arriving at the port? We're staying at the Orlando airport Hyatt Friday night and hope to take the first bus in the morning (~9:30), so we should be at the port by 10:30 or 11:00. I want to keep my eyes open for those lime green ribbons that Cam is so kindly sending out! My husband Brian is very social (OK, he likes to talk a lot!) and is looking forward to meeting everyone.

Have a MAGICal day!!

Hi all!

We will be arriving at the terminal early ... staying at the Radisson so probably around 10:30. My son will be the 10-year-old (although looks older) near the front of the line playing his game boy. He will have a fresh buzz cut! :teeth: I will be the one looking after him, bouncing off the walls, trying to keep everything organized ... short, straight, blonde hair.

Is anyone else staying at the Radisson before the cruise? There will be 10 of us ... and two friends from the area are meeting us for happy hour and dinner at Grill's ... I'm sure we'll be at the Radisson pool during the late afternoon and probably also after dinner. We all plan to have drinks by the pool - if anyone is around to join us!!:drinking1

Hi Carole,

The port opens around 10:00-10:30, and they start boarding the ship around 12:00 noon (sometimes a few minutes early). If you want to get any reservations (Palo, spa, etc.), you should try to get there fairly early. Plus you want time to meet us!! :crazy:

There is a model of the ship on display (including a view of the inside), and it helps to look at it to get your bearings. Also some characters will come out to entertain the children and pose for pictures. There are couches and TVs with cartoons also ... although I can never sit still!!! :hyper2:

The line to get onto the ship will begin to grow (perhaps shortly after 11:00??). You can have someone from your party stay in the line to hold your place ... hence, my son and his Game Boy - his idea not mine! - but there really is no need to stress. Once they begin letting guests on the ship, the line moves fairly quickly.

If you don't plan to get reservations right away, you can arrive and board later to avoid the line. I think everybody needs to be on the ship by about 3:00-3:30 since the mandatory lifeboat drill is at 4:00.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Mary!
Last year we got there around 12:30 and there wasn't too much of a line--as long as everything is filled out and in tip top shape. And the Castaway Club line moves quickly. We will try to get there a little earlier this year, as those Palo reservations go quickly, but then again I have that 8 a.m. manicure. Priorities!:rolleyes: I am totally excited to meet all of you and your families. I feel like we've known each other for quite a while. I'll wear my green ribbon just to embarass my daughter!

Carole

Hey Keenercam! We haven't received ours yet, but I've been having trouble with my e-mail. Did you receive a request from the 8 of us? Cathie:wave2: 9 Days to Sail Away!!

Cam -- the ribbons you sent came today! My DS15 smirked when he saw them. He said that he wrote to Jenn that they came as he walked out the door to band practice. The kids have been sending pictures of themselves via email I gather, so maybe they will spot each other before they see the ribbons. Carole, do your kids do email, particularly your DD? If so, have her write to my son, itbyrnes@comcast.net. He can forward her email to the others.

Our group is staying at the Holiday Inn Express because the Radisson was booked! I waited until last month to call in reservations and was too late. Ron Jon's was also booked. The Saturday after the cruise, my group will jump off the boat for a night at the Radisson before heading home. We read that it was very nice. Anyway, we plan to get there early, too.

See you soon,
Jeanne

I meant to post this to give everyone a laugh! My girlfriend and her family are traveling with us. Yesterday, she sent me a copy of this 'love' note her DH had written to her. Although, she hasn't signed up on the 'disboards,' she is a regular reader of them and this thread in particular. We're not only cruise newbies, but also 'disboards' newbies. Well, you can imagine what the DHs think! So, he writes a parody of Letterman's Top Ten List. Yeah, he's real funny!

The top ten reasons my wife is going to drive me crazy before we go on our trip.

10. She needs a list to make a list
9. She has 5 DHs lined up for drinks on the first night
8. The fact that I know what DH is!
7. She is agonizing over what to do between 10-11 am on Tuesday
6, She is agonizing over the many usages of duct tape
5. She only wants to see good ruins
4. She'll be on the cruise 7 days; will need 7 new bathing suits
3 She can't wait to get wasted in Margaritaville
2. She hasn't scheduled enough bathroom breaks
1. DW is disappointed that there are no swingers dis-boards

I LOVE IT!! :laughing: This guy is too funny! (Maybe we should switch from our tips ... and instead add to this list ... hmmm, not sure I'm witty enough.)

Wait until you guys meet our friend Phil - also very friendly, very talkative, outgoing, funny - I think we're going to have a blast! :earboy2:

OMG!! How funny!!

I can't even come up with anything to add to that list -- I am just not that funny or creative!

Cathy & Kathy -- they were mailed Tuesday a.m., so hopefully you will get them tomorrow!

Wish I could come up with a tip of the day, but I am too busy laughing!

Oh, wait, I just thought of something -- bring your own body lotion on the trip and save the ones they give you in your stateroom. The "minnie" lotions make great little bring-homes for staff and loved ones. I still have one in my desk drawer -- it makes me happy just to see it! There is also a great souvenir you can bring home from the ship -- it is a square tin with captain mickey on it and filled with key lime cookies -- I think it was about $10.95 when we sailed -- it's fun having the tin afterwards, and is also great if you need a gift for someone. One of the girls in my office keeps it in her desk drawer for her emergency toiletries!

Decided to edit my post because it wasn't very family friendly ... how about a tip? I'm thinking more clearly this morning than last night when I was exhausted. :D

If you get to your stateroom and don't have enough hangers for all your clothes, you can ask your steward to bring some more. I used to pack extras, but realize it's easier to get some once on the ship.

The countdown continues - yippee! :bounce:

Yep, that's me. At work until 11 last night and here I sit having arrived before 6 am.

Fortunately, in about 10 days, I expect to be fried in another way. Bring on that Caribbean sun!

Have a great day, everyone! Mine will be wonderful only because I know that by the end of it, it will be the end of it, I will have only 2 more full days of work, and Andy will be home! YEAH!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter