July 2023 TDR Visit—A few quick thoughts

We just returned from 3 days at Tokyo Disney (2 at DisneySea and one at DL) and I thought I’d share a few high level takeaways that are unique to the Tokyo parks and that I would have liked to know before going:

1. Paid fast passes: You can buy several fast passes (called priority access) to the same ride (but not until you’ve completed the prior FP use), they mostly do not sell out that aggressively the way Genie+ passes do. For example, we did bought 2 fast passes for journey to the center of the earth on a Monday, and 3 separate fast passes for Beauty and the Beast on Tuesday. You can hold multiple paid FP at the same time if you choose a later return time, but have to wait 1 hr between purchases for rides. I think purchases for shows are treated separately.

2. Food scarcity: OK, so there’s not an actual risk of starvation but very few places to eat are open for the first couple hours and last couple hours of the park day—which caused major disappointment for Disneyland regulars who planned to get favorite snacks at the end of the day on the way out of the park. Most food places closed 1h before the park and many closed 2+ hours— especially popcorn carts. Then on our third day at DisneySea, very few snack places were open before 11, causing extremely long lines for the churro, popcorn, bakery places that were open.

3. We loved the electrical parade at Disneyland and our paid FP seating (purchased shortly after park entry) got us an assigned set of seats in the first row— at least I think they were assigned, very few people were around when we showed up 1h before the parade. We bought FP seats later in the day for the Sea of Dreams at DisneySea and the seats were awful (for paid— would be mediocre for free) they did not appear to be assigned and we were seated on an uncomfortable gravel floor (I got ant bites!) maybe 6-8 rows back, even though we arrived to the VIP zone 30m before show time. The people who showed up with “vacation package” seats got seated in front of the 4-5 rows of regular paid fast pass seats in front of us. If shows are your thing, plan accordingly. If I could do it again, I think I’d rather watch sea of dreams from an elevated position rather than designated seating zones.

4. Vacation packages— I’m still not entirely sure what they are or how you book them, but they appear to include some fast passes and priority show seating, so I recommend other people look into the option.

5. Climate— it was hot, really hot— and I say this as someone who goes to WDW in August from time to time. I think many of the Tokyo Disney ride queues are inside or in the shade for much of the line, but you are often also dealing with significant food queues as well. If you’re going during a hot period (or rainy period), have a plan for activities for when you need a break from the elements. We watched more shows than we ordinarily would at both parks and had mid-day table service reservations at indoor restaurants to get a break from heat and crowds.

6. I don’t know when the advertised free fast passes for the 40th anniversary are set to be rolled out but they aren’t out yet.

Overall we had a great time, we have loved (and preferred) DisneySea for a long time, but between my childhood nostalgia for the electrical parade and Beauty and the Beast, I now think I might actually prefer Tokyo Disneyland. 🤔

Happy to answer anybody’s questions to the best of my ability!

We just returned from 3 days at Tokyo Disney (2 at DisneySea and one at DL) and I thought I’d share a few high level takeaways that are unique to the Tokyo parks and that I would have liked to know before going:
How early did you go to the parks? Did you stay at a TDR hotel and have Happy Entry? We are staying at the Ambassador in August (during Obon week- which apparently is one of the busiest weeks in the year to go --just our luck), so at least glad we have the Happy Entry--though 15 min doesn't seem like much).

1. Paid fast passes: You can buy several fast passes (called priority access) to the same ride (but not until you’ve completed the prior FP use), they mostly do not sell out that aggressively the way Genie+ passes do. For example, we did bought 2 fast passes for journey to the center of the earth on a Monday, and 3 separate fast passes for Beauty and the Beast on Tuesday. You can hold multiple paid FP at the same time if you choose a later return time, but have to wait 1 hr between purchases for rides. I think purchases for shows are treated separately. Assuming you made all your purchases through the app once you entered the park? Did you have any issues using your credit card?

2. Food scarcity: OK, so there’s not an actual risk of starvation but very few places to eat are open for the first couple hours and last couple hours of the park day—which caused major disappointment for Disneyland regulars who planned to get favorite snacks at the end of the day on the way out of the park. Most food places closed 1h before the park and many closed 2+ hours— especially popcorn carts. Then on our third day at DisneySea, very few snack places were open before 11, causing extremely long lines for the churro, popcorn, bakery places that were open. Good to know-- my takeaway is not to arrive hungry (grab something at the hotel before) and to try and make sure we get all our must do snacks in prior to park closing. Any counter service or table service highlights during your trip?
3. We loved the electrical parade at Disneyland and our paid FP seating (purchased shortly after park entry) got us an assigned set of seats in the first row— at least I think they were assigned, very few people were around when we showed up 1h before the parade. We bought FP seats later in the day for the Sea of Dreams at DisneySea and the seats were awful (for paid— would be mediocre for free) they did not appear to be assigned and we were seated on an uncomfortable gravel floor (I got ant bites!) maybe 6-8 rows back, even though we arrived to the VIP zone 30m before show time. The people who showed up with “vacation package” seats got seated in front of the 4-5 rows of regular paid fast pass seats in front of us. If shows are your thing, plan accordingly. If I could do it again, I think I’d rather watch sea of dreams from an elevated position rather than designated seating zones. On your Disney Sea day do you think it would have made a difference in seating if you purchased it earlier in the day or arrived earlier? I guess we should bring a towel to sit on to avoid ant bites:eek: . Where is the elevated seating is that something you have to line up for?

4. Vacation packages— I’m still not entirely sure what they are or how you book them, but they appear to include some fast passes and priority show seating, so I recommend other people look into the option.
The vacation packages were released in blocks (they were quite pricey) the first block was release in March for stays up to June 29 then the next block was released May 30 for stays up to Sept 30. The problem was packages were released after our hotel booking time opened up and we had already booked (we managed to snag the most reasonably priced room) and you couldn't just a add a package you had to rebook with only the most priciest rooms left to book (it was like 1K pp for just a one night 2 day in the parks package and then we'd still have to pay for 2 more nights of hotel-)-- so it just wasn't worth it to us since the room is pricey enough.

5. Climate— it was hot, really hot— and I say this as someone who goes to WDW in August from time to time. I think many of the Tokyo Disney ride queues are inside or in the shade for much of the line, but you are often also dealing with significant food queues as well. If you’re going during a hot period (or rainy period), have a plan for activities for when you need a break from the elements. We watched more shows than we ordinarily would at both parks and had mid-day table service reservations at indoor restaurants to get a break from heat and crowds. I wonder if it would be worth returning to our hotel for a midday break since we can swim at the pool?

6. I don’t know when the advertised free fast passes for the 40th anniversary are set to be rolled out but they aren’t out yet. That is disappointing since it was announced in early June and it's already mid July. Crossing my fingers that it is available when we arrive (Aug 14-17).
Overall we had a great time, we have loved (and preferred) DisneySea for a long time, but between my childhood nostalgia for the electrical parade and Beauty and the Beast, I now think I might actually prefer Tokyo Disneyland. 🤔

Happy to answer anybody’s questions to the best of my ability! Thank you so much for your trip report!

Some great tips there, thank you!

Good to know about the premium access passes, as I was concerned that these would sell out super fast. Hoping to be able to get them for at least one ride and one show in each park, although given your advice about the Sea of Dreams show, might just try our luck with arriving early. Happy to take what's available at the time with the freebie fastpasses.

Also good to know about the food, as my plan was actually to go to the parks, get a couple of rides done and then hit up the bakery for breakfast. Might have to rethink that one 🤔

Hopefully the weather cools down a little bit by late September!

Some great tips there, thank you!

Good to know about the premium access passes, as I was concerned that these would sell out super fast. Hoping to be able to get them for at least one ride and one show in each park, although given your advice about the Sea of Dreams show, might just try our luck with arriving early. Happy to take what's available at the time with the freebie fastpasses.

Also good to know about the food, as my plan was actually to go to the parks, get a couple of rides done and then hit up the bakery for breakfast. Might have to rethink that one 🤔

Hopefully the weather cools down a little bit by late September!

Sweetheart Cafe in DL and Mamma's Biscotti Bakery in Disneysea are usually open the entire operating hours of the park. They sometimes close up to an hour after the park closing time and sometimes Sweetheart Cafe is open during Happy Entry as well.

A lot of restuarants open an hour after the park and some do close as early as 5PM. There will usually be one restaurant near the front of the park that stays open till 1/2 an hour before park closing. At Disneyland, it's Plazma Ray's while at Disneysea it alternates between New York Deli and Cafe Portofino. Snack carts are more fickle with some opening from like 10 till 5 and others only in the afternoon, etc.

Sweetheart Cafe in DL and Mamma's Biscotti Bakery in Disneysea are usually open the entire operating hours of the park. They sometimes close up to an hour after the park closing time and sometimes Sweetheart Cafe is open during Happy Entry as well.

A lot of restuarants open an hour after the park and some do close as early as 5PM. There will usually be one restaurant near the front of the park that stays open till 1/2 an hour before park closing. At Disneyland, it's Plazma Ray's while at Disneysea it alternates between New York Deli and Cafe Portofino. Snack carts are more fickle with some opening from like 10 till 5 and others only in the afternoon, etc.
Good to know, thanks! If they open 1 hour after the park we should be fine - will give us time to do a couple of rides first 👍

@shaycamp21 I'm going to respond to your questions here since I had trouble following/expanding the multiquote tool:

1. The first day we didn't make it to DisneySea until afternoon-- there are two premier seating zones and the more desirable one was entirely sold out by the time we got in the park. It was available as late as 10AM (an hour after park open) our second day in DisneySea. We showed up at Disneyland at 8:00AM (early 15 entry time was listed at 8:15, always be sure to show up at least 10-15m before the early entry posted time)-- we were about 40 people back at the gate for early entry, but the line started moving right at 8:15 and we were in by 8:20. As mentioned, we rode Space Mountain 2x with no wait by 8:45, probably should have done it a 3rd time because Monsters, Inc. didn't start moving the queue until 9. FYI, The early entry lines are in bright sun with no shade, plan accordingly in the summer. You also need to keep aggressively showing your early entry passes to get sorted to the correct queue (if you don't speak Japanese). We actually didn't do early entry for DisneySea (which I am slightly ashamed of) but we were tired and figured we'd just spend more on FPs instead of trying to rush them at opening.

2. We did make all purchases for FPs after entering the park, it was very easy. The app appeared to remember my credit card from the original hotel booking I made with the logon. The one thing I will note is that we purchased park tix through the hotel and the first day I scanned them BEFORE we entered and it took the app 10-15 minutes to load them after we got in the park which caused (my extremely OCD self) a lot of stress and frustration. The second two days we scanned tix into the app right after swiping in and could make FP selections immediately. Our Visa (mine, used in app) and Amex (husband's, used for misc spending) worked everywhere, including carts-- the only exception was that the vending machines only take coins (and occasionally small bills)-- when lines are long everywhere, having a few hundred yen for vending machines was pretty helpful.

3. Yes--exactly, don't show up hungry/thirsty (though we had no problem bringing in water in our backpack)-- I'm not a "morning person" so at DL and WDW I usually try to do a ride or two or three and then get a coffee/iced coffee depending on the weather, and my kids get a quick snack at the hotel room then they get breakfast when I have my coffee break. This worked terribly at DisneySea (it actually worked OK at Disneyland, where we were able to get into a cafe in Tomorrowland with minimal waiting around 9:30). At DisneySea, the (lovely!) bakery and cafes all had lines stretching outside of the restaurants for most of the morning. I think if you can wait until 10:30 to stop you're in good shape because even though things start opening at 10, there are very long lines around that time at many places.

3.5 There were a lot of food highlights-- my favorite place was the Gaston's Tavern in Disneyland (there's a whole "Little Town" area with shops, a (fake) library, the tavern, and even a statute of Gaston that I found charming, but what I loved most was the french toast sandwich, which honestly sounded pretty suspicious to me but was delightful. LeFou has a churro cart next door which my husband enjoyed but I don't remember being impressed by the flavor. Our family enjoyed Capitain Hook's pizza (might not have exact name correct)-- which is not for the faint of heart, they offer more adventurous pizza toppings but my 6 year old loved the thai/curry pizza and my 8 year old was fine with their mild twist on Hawaiian pizza. We had lunch at Blue Bayou which was delightful on a hot day, but the food was (like all Blue Bayous) just OK for what we paid for it. Sakura (over in DisneySea) is our special spot that we always try to make it to and enjoyed this time as well-- your kids have to be willing to eat Japanese food to be happy there, though they currently offer an afternoon tea service in the afternoon that's mostly treats. Our favorite snack at DisneySea was probably the chai churro (which was more sweet than spicy, reminded me of the winter dream tea latte from Coffee Bean, which I love). The Arabian coast district offered the Chai churro and also a stuffed naan with some sort of curry (that tasted more like an italian red sauce with meat than curry)-- was enjoyed by the whole family. I also really liked the apple tea soda wherever we could find it. We probably tried 5-6 kinds of popcorn and my favorite was the salted caramel (which I found far superior to regular caramel). My husband got "Strawberry Napolean" and thought it was great. The white chocolate matcha popcorn may have been the least palatable thing I ate at TDR, but I don't like matcha. Oh, and maybe our best dining experience was the Belle View Lounge at MiraCosta-- if you can get dinner there for the sea of dreams show, it's spectacular (I should note that we spent about $325 between 2 adults and 2 children, and the cost of the kids meals was practically a rounding error). It was truly fine dining with a mix of western and japanese specialities.

4. I assume that we could have gotten the better seating area earlier in the day but I don't know if it was assigned or if you had to get there super early to actually be towards the front. Less than 90m before the show started it seemed like you could still get good seats on the bridge that connects the italian harbor to Mt. Prometheus... and you definitely needed to show up close to that in our seating zone as well. I honestly didn't spend too much time strategizing exactly where we would watch from if I could do it again, but I'd probably try to pick that bridge or one of the elevated areas around the Italian harbor.

5. You've made me feel much better about missing out on the vacation package. We were able to get Miracosta viewing out over the Italian harbour for less than $500/night due to the strong U.S. dollar.

6. If you are at the Ambassador Hotel, I don't know if it would be worth trekking back to the resort (I don't know how long it takes)-- I would probably recommend planning on doing the shows with low queues (like Country Bear Jamboree) or the rides with short queues (like Sinbad's voyage and usually Star Tours) and trying to get the free standby passes for indoor shows (Big Band Beat, Mickey's Magic Lamp) at mid-day times. I presume if you're going in August they will still have rides featuring the opportunity to get really wet as well.

You're welcome for my review, hope it can help your family have an even better trip!

Good to know, thanks! If they open 1 hour after the park we should be fine - will give us time to do a couple of rides first 👍
My advice would be to make sure you can make it until about 10:30/10:45 before needing food and drink at DisneySea-- even when they first open the lines are long.

Also, depending on how well you've adjusted to the time zone, this can be more of a problem than you think. I routinely don't eat before 11AM at WDW and DL (and usually don't have anything other than coffee until lunch when home in California), but for the full two weeks in Tokyo I was ravenous by 10AM.

Yes, this sounds consistent with our experience. I am wondering if this was always the case (I don't remember it from prior trips) or if it it's labor shortages/slow reopening post-COVID? There were at least a handful of carts in each park that never opened at all (including my beloved honey popcorn cart outsie the Winnie the Pooh ride).

Yes, this sounds consistent with our experience. I am wondering if this was always the case (I don't remember it from prior trips) or if it it's labor shortages/slow reopening post-COVID? There were at least a handful of carts in each park that never opened at all (including my beloved honey popcorn cart outsie the Winnie the Pooh ride).

It was always like this but right now, the park hours are 9AM to 9PM while pre-pandemic, the parks would usually be open 8AM to 10PM in July. So the hours of some food places are shortened because if they're open an hour after park open to 1 or 2 hours before park closing, they've lost 2 operating hours. These types of operating hours were more typical of the off season in January and February.

I usually don't eat popcorn so I don't pay attention that cart but if I recall correctly, in February, they were only running one of the 2 food booths in the hub area facing the castle. Pre-pandemic, they would usually both be open from 10AM till 5PM or 6PM.

Last year, attendance was about 2/3 of 2019 attendance so perhaps that's why they're operating more like it would be in the off-season.

My advice would be to make sure you can make it until about 10:30/10:45 before needing food and drink at DisneySea-- even when they first open the lines are long.

Also, depending on how well you've adjusted to the time zone, this can be more of a problem than you think. I routinely don't eat before 11AM at WDW and DL (and usually don't have anything other than coffee until lunch when home in California), but for the full two weeks in Tokyo I was ravenous by 10AM.
Not an issue for me - only 1 hour time difference between Perth and Tokyo ;) (and yet, still a 9.5 hour flight :sad2:).

Did you stay at a Disney Hotel and if you did please do a review on it?? If you stay at a Disney Hotel do you get Early Entry to either park or does each hotel only allow early entry to a specific park???

Did you stay at a Disney Hotel and if you did please do a review on it?? If you stay at a Disney Hotel do you get Early Entry to either park or does each hotel only allow early entry to a specific park???
We stayed at MiraCosta and I didn't write a whole review. In general we were happy with it, check in and check out went smoothly, we loved being able to see into the park (but also it felt kind of wasted because we spent most of our waking hours in the park), the location could not have been any better, and it they had a gift shop with drinks, snacks, and treats that we stopped at most nights after heading back from the park. If you go in and expect an experience like a Westin or Hilton with a touch of Disney, you won't be disappointed-- it has a lot of (faux) Italian flourishes but it's not a luxury hotel. We really loved the BellaVista lounge for dinner one night with a prime view of the Sea of Dreams, but you will pay dearly for the convenience and the view (at least for adults, I think it was about $125pp for each parent, but only $25pp for the kids).

We would stay there again, but I probably wouldn't pay for a park view room again unless I planned on having at least a few waking hours in the room one day. I also really want to check out the themed rooms at the Disneyland Hotel...

Thanks that solidifies our plan to got 4 days at TDL so we get two at each park. We have lots of places on our travel list so no sure when we I’ll make it back to Japan.
FWIW, you can buy 1/2 day tickets to arrive after a certain time (depending on the day of the week). We did 1/2 day tickets for our arrival day, and considered (but ultimately did not) buying them to make a DIY park hopper ticket.

Based on the exchange rates, I think a full day and half day ticket combined at TDR was still far cheaper than a parkhopper for DL or WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter