June 2021 PTR "Let's make up for last year."

angryduck71

DIS Veteran
Hi there! Decided to do a pre-trip report as I'm finally feeling like we're ACTUALLY going on this trip (FINALLY!). So... I'm going to take you back to Christmas 2019... we did something I said I'd NEVER do -- go to Orlando between Christmas and New Year's. I wanted to do this trip as I just got a promotion and would start my new job in January. It was such a celebration for me. It was a trip for my son (Davy, 14) and me. Our Christmas trip. I have a trip report posted here somewhere as well.

We got a free room with some points I had at a Hilton Hotel. At first, we were just going to do SeaWorld and Discovery Cove. But, then, we realized, how can we go to Orlando and NOT do Universal (my son's favorite). So, we splurged on a couple of expensive nights at Royal Pacific (we have stayed a RPR many times, but this was the most expensive nightly price I've ever paid!). THEN, being a HUGE Star Wars fan, I HAD to go to Galaxy's Edge. I wasn't going to... I just had REALLY refused to do Disney that time of year... but, we decided we'd get up in the middle of the night to experience it. We had a trip planned for Universal/Disney for late May 2020, but I just couldn't pass up the Star Wars stuff this time (my friends kept telling me they knew I'd go... I had denied it for so long.) It would be the last time we stayed at Shades of Green (I used to be a civilian working for the Army) as well... so, we stayed at three hotels that trip.

We had a WONDERFUL time... just amazing. The things I remember most... HOT BUTTERBEER!!!! It was the first time I had it, and that's pretty much all I ate/drank the whole time in Universal. I am not a fan of regular or frozen butterbeer, but I was addicted to the hot. We spent a lot of time people watching and show watching with the hot butterbeer. One early entry morning, we rode Gringotts then just sat almost all day watching the Harry Potter shows and drinking hot butterbeer. Rise of the Resistance at DHS. I cried after I was so excited about this ride. So happy we did it (especially when our May 2020 trip was canceled). And, once again, Discovery Cove. My son loves that place and we really enjoyed it (and the weather really cooperated).

Anyway... we got home and had a shuttle take us home from the airport. Our driver was so nice... and we spent midnight of NYE a couple blocks from my home counting down with our driver. We thought 2020 was going to be amazing with my new job, my son starting high school in the fall (more about my genius later -- I brag, beware!), and we had our next big Orlando trip planned for May 2020 as a celebration of the end of my son's middle school years. Alas... COVID had other ideas....

A couple of days after we got home, Davy and I both got sick. Davy was over it in a day. Mine lasted two months... my doctor said it was a bad sinus infection (I used to have sinus infections all the time, but after sinus surgery in 2004, I barely ever had any...). A pediatrician friend of mine said she wouldn't doubt it was this new virus going around.....

Started my new job (such nice people!) -- and was trying to fight off the sinus infection until early March... then, in March, we were all sent home to work from there. I had only been there about two months. I've worked at home ever since. My job is still going great and the folks have just been the nicest. I miss my old job sometimes too as I loved it as well, but overall, so pleased with my work life.

Of course, our May 2020 trip was canceled. I had rented DVC points for our Disney portion... at first, they said (since I didn't get the insurance) too bad, you're going to lose your deposit. We had only rented three nights, so the insurance was as much as my deposit and didn't make sense. Later, they actually offered me MORE points than I rented to come back.

In November I think, the vaccine was looking hopeful. I decided to book a new trip for June 2021 -- Davy's school is usually out by Memorial Day Weekend, but this year, they said it would be out June 4. So, booked for June 5-12. Davy loves Universal more than Disney -- and seemed to have some notion that Magic Kingdom is just for small kids. But, then, he LOVES Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, and Haunted Mansion, so I convinced him we should do one day in each park. I still had a military ticket (actually, one for civilians who work for the military) for four days. We decided to add an extra night at Disney. So, was going to stay at Disney first, then Universal.

I looked up hotels and saw that I could get a Savannah view room at AK Lodge for about $400 -- the best price I think I've ever seen especially for just one night. I had wanted to stay there since they built it. But, I could never justify it as we could stay at Shades of Green before. I pushed the button online to book it... and, it glitched. I called and apparently that price was not correct but they spread some pixie dust and gave it to me for that. AND... I had enough Disney rewards to pay for it, so basically, FREE ROOM. YES!!!! Bucket list check-off!

THEN, Davy's school changed its mind -- added 10 minutes a day so school could be out for Memorial Day weekend. We changed the trip again so we could go a BIT earlier. By this point, I kept checking Universal hotels as well. We almost always stay at RPR. One time, many years ago, we stayed at Hard Rock. This time, PBR had the cheapest rooms.

So, our plans are now:

June 1-3, PBR bayview room
June 3-4, AK lodge with Savannah view
June 4-7, Boardwalk Villas
June 7-10, PBR garden view.

I am now fully vaccinated. I am REALLY hoping Davy can get it before we leave (he is 14). He has done brilliantly his Freshman year of high school, despite being the youngest in his class (he skipped a grade in grade school), despite being at home online schooling most of the year, and despite taking REALLY HARD classes (mostly Honors and gifted classes along with doing band and cross country). He deserves this vacation and I'm hoping it's one of our best!

As a side note... I have an AP... going to upgrade to a Premier and stay offsite again after Christmas with points I have at a Hilton. We mostly just want to sit around that trip and drink hot butterbeer.

Also, I turn 50 this year, so it's a celebration of that. We planned on going to England this year... hopefully can next year! But, I will ALWAYS take the parks as a great vacation!!!! Thanks for reading along!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I think that deserves a wooohoooooo!!!

Sounds an amazing trip with your little Sheldon.....who isn`t so little anymore....he looks so tall now.......

Alice, I cannot wait to read along with your plans and then hear every....single.....thing about the trip........:thumbsup2

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I think that deserves a wooohoooooo!!!

Sounds an amazing trip with your little Sheldon.....who isn`t so little anymore....he looks so tall now.......

Alice, I cannot wait to read along with your plans and then hear every....single.....thing about the trip........:thumbsup2
Thanks Carole! <3 Davy is quite a bit taller than me now. He’s becoming such a great man!2F7518CB-FB79-4745-8243-4541121A51A6.jpeg

This trip, we have a few priorities... At Universal:
1. Hagrid's. It was open when we were there at Christmas 2019 but the line seemed to be steady at 4 hours. We figured then we'd be back May 2020....
2. VelociCoaster. It'll officially open our last day at Universal... hoping to catch a soft opening maybe.
3. Gringotts (my favorite)
4. Rip Ride Rockit. (Davy's favorite. He likes to listen to "Rainbow Connection" during this. I stick mostly with "I Will Survive."

At Disney:
1. Rise of the Resistance (duh!)
2. Tower of Terror (Davy's favorite)
3. Haunted Mansion
4. Space and Splash Mountains
5. Sci-fi diner (so far, we have only one reservation; it is Davy's favorite, so I keep trying to snag another).

We are meeting up with @kittylady1972 -- we met here on the disboards and found out that we both have a similar tennis and Universal/Disney-loving background. Have been able to meet up once before -- and one day, we're GOING to actually get to play tennis! Anyway, looking forward to a dinner at the very least with her!

Speaking of tennis... one other thing I have to be planning for other than this trip is playoffs for my tennis teams! We've done really well this year. Our first post-season match is this Sunday and I am captain of this team. At times, Nationals are held in Orlando. Not this year, alas. I believe it's Oklahoma City this year... well, we have to start by winning our local playoffs. Wish me luck for Sunday!

Goodness, he has got taller since the last picture you sent me!! Yes, quite the young man isn`t he.

I will survive is my RRR song too.....lol......

Will keep my fingers crossed you get a soft opening.....I think you`d both love it, looks spectacular. You have some lovely things planned......and glad you`re getting to play tennis with another Dis poster.....

And yes, good luck on Sunday......🏆

Last night, it was in the 40s with windchills in the 30s and I had to play tennis outside. It was brutal and something I am not likely to do again! This morning, woke up to this: C3767837-D931-442D-8BB9-AEEC99B8B6B1.jpeg
... and it’s STILL coming down. Yes am NOT happy. I seriously thought about getting in the car and taking off for Orlando today!

8BE5FB02-F4E3-4919-BA4F-CCFE4288BE06.jpeg

I now have this message on my work computer (been 30 minutes and still no restart so will likely have to spend hours on the phone with IT). Someone is seriously hinting I should just leave now for the parks....

Just a note...I also usually end up playing "I will survive" on RRR...but that's just because I love the song, don't consider it a theme song for me. I love the ride!

You will likely get a soft opening for Jurassic Coaster. A friend of mine rode the coaster last week and said it was AWESOME...and terrifying. She told me not to expect soft openings in April (boo) but for sure the May/June timeframe is very likely.

We will definitely make a meeting of some kind happen while there!

Hello!!!!!!
Enjoying your pre-trip report!!! Sounds like you have excellent plans in place for your trip. Keep us updated..........and congratulations on your new job!:flower:
Brenda

Last edited:
Hello!!!!!!
Enjoying your pre-trip report!!! Sounds like you have excellent plans in place for your trip. Keep us updated..........and congratulations on your new job!:flower:
Brenda
Thanks! Not QUITE so new now -- just over a year -- but going well. :) We're excited to go on vacation though -- that's for sure!!!!

Just a note...I also usually end up playing "I will survive" on RRR...but that's just because I love the song, don't consider it a theme song for me. I love the ride!

You will likely get a soft opening for Jurassic Coaster. A friend of mine rode the coaster last week and said it was AWESOME...and terrifying. She told me not to expect soft openings in April (boo) but for sure the May/June timeframe is very likely.

We will definitely make a meeting of some kind happen while there!

OF COURSE you love "I Will Survive" -- because, duh, we are so much alike! :) <3

Can't wait to see you and have a great time THIS weekend!!!!!!

Last night, it was in the 40s with windchills in the 30s and I had to play tennis outside. It was brutal and something I am not likely to do again! This morning, woke up to this: View attachment 569439
... and it’s STILL coming down. Yes am NOT happy. I seriously thought about getting in the car and taking off for Orlando today!
R U in Kansas City area? Got similar pictures from friends in KCMO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter